Escape to the Movies: Man of Tai Chi

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Man of Tai Chi

MovieBob takes a look at Keanu Reeves directorial debut.

Watch Video

Well, I do love Darren Aronofsky, so even though this looks more effects-driven, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This was playing in only one theater with limited show times. I thought it looked really cool and probably would have loved seeing it.

Now, I wish I made time to actually go see it because it's not playing anywhere anymore :(

I wonder how they're going to explain how mankind got back on its feet after God flooded the world and Noah and his family were all that's left ...

ANYHOO, Man from Tai-Chi looks like it's going to be a spectacularly good action movie and I can't wait to see it.

After seeing the list of movies opening, I was wondering what Bob was going to cover this week. Kinda hoped he glance over Dear Mr. Watterson, the documentary of the creator of Calvin and Hobbes who's been in seclusion for some time now. Still, nice quick review of Man of Tai Chi. Shame that my local theater doesn't have it.

Oh, well. I can always see Thor: The Dark World a second time.

*proceeds to google Megan Ellison and Spike Jonze*

...Oh....Oh...Oh!...OH!.

oh now I'm excited. As should everyone.

I might check it out, Keanu is quite interesting, and it would be equally interesting to see his directorial debut.

Also:

MOVIEBOB?

INTERESTED IN SOMETHING THAT ISN'T NINTENDO?

This is a sign of the end times.

Not sure if I want to see a Noah movie with a battle scene between a bunch of people who want to get on the ark and God (or His angels, or whoever is making the ground explode).

But hey, Keanu Reeves!

Huh... Well, if there's one martial arts movie trope we never get tired of...

Also, Ellison and Jonze getting into the gaming business? Color me interested. I can see Ellison behind a a PS4/XB1 period-sandbox game or Jonze being the creative director behind an abstract piece similar to a Schafer piece.

Keanu Reeves saying "Finish him!" in Mortal Kombat style? Okay.....

But you said it's On-Demand, right? Looks like I'll have to check it out after work today.

Edit: Also, I'm really anxious to see his other martial arts movie coming out this Winter, which is 47 Ronin. That one looks to be really interesting set in medieval times with sorcery, witchcraft, and sweet Kung Fu fighting.

All I see with these two Bob is oogling over is film buffs who think they can do video games because they can do film. Not to say they can't do video games, but just assuming they'll be right for the job is going somewhat far.

Also, to the preview, WAT?!

Yeah Noah looks like it'll be pretty damn good. I have a lot of faith in Darren Aronofsky, all of his movies so far have been great. The fountain made no sense but at least it was super interesting and well put together so I guess I can't hold it against him.

As for this, I'll go give it a watch. This kind of fighting tournament movie has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

Recognize Spike Jonze, but don't think I've ever heard of Megan Ellison, and I imagine Bob is stoked about them because Jonze likes to do elaborate and visually impressive works with a tendency to have a very stark moral to them.

I wound up picking up Man of Tai Chi from Amazon Video (same cost to rent as it is to buy) and was pleasantly surprised by it. Nothing ground-breaking, but the action sequences were really solid and the plot was decent.

I definitely want to see this, but it hasn't been playing anywhere near me. :( I figured that was just because it was doing the limited release first and then wider after thing that is commonly done with smaller films, but I guess that's not the case. I'll have to find it on on-demand somewhere.

Seems rather interesting, might check it out some time.

Also not sure why I would be excited for those two film people to get in games. None of Ellison's films were that interesting to me, Jonze is a little better but still nothing to be excited for. "A couple of film makers want to make games! Yay!" Dont know why.

All I know about Megan Ellison is that Catch.44 was fucking terrible.

I kid, I kid, she is also part of some good movies, but damn, that one was just terrible.

I have a hard time believing that a Jonze/Ellison video game will actually become a reality, but hell yeah I'm excited about the possibility.

It's hard to imagine why the prospect of Jonze and Ellison making video games is supposed to excite me. They were involved in good movies but that won't necessarily translate to good games.

Don't know what exactly to think of a movie types wanting to jump to video games, but 38 Studio comes to mind. The only advantage they might have is handling big budgets. However, when has Hollywood been known for keeping things under budget.

Ronack:
I wonder how they're going to explain how mankind got back on its feet after God flooded the world and Noah and his family were all that's left

Well it's the same concept with Adam and Eve and any other apocalyptic scenario you just re-.........OOooh. Naughty.

Ronack:
I wonder how they're going to explain how mankind got back on its feet after God flooded the world and Noah and his family were all that's left ...

Incest is Best! :D

Hehehe, sorry, couldn't resist.

OT: Well I'll be damned. Just judging by the clips that were shown during the review that actually does look like...a pretty damn good "kung fu movie". That it's Keanu's debut as a director and looks/sounds that good is really surprising. That said, I never saw why Keanu always got so much hate. Sure, he's got that California surfer-dude voice that made him perfect for Bill & Ted but "less suited" for more serious roles, but I never thought his acting in The Matrix was as horrible as a lot of people tended to think it was.

Here's to hoping that Keanu turns out like Ben Affleck and becomes a surprisingly good director.

You know Keanu was just chomping at the bit for the chance to say "Finish him!" on film. And you know what? Kudos to him for making an entertaining movie on his first directorial gig. People mock his quasi-robotic acting method, possibly the result of him trying to cast off the Ted persona from his early years and frankly I don't blame him, but I actually enjoy a lot of his films. Yeah, the Matrix is the Matrix but Johnny Mnemonic is a lot of fun too in an over-the-top kind of way, and for all the complaints die-hard comic fans had I really liked Constantine (yes, even Shiah Labeouf, who's cocky-teenager personality make more sense in the movie because he's playing a cocky-teenager).

Now if 47 Samurai could just get released already, because I'm honestly interested.

Akichi Daikashima:

MOVIEBOB?

INTERESTED IN SOMETHING THAT ISN'T NINTENDO?

This is a sign of the end times.

Or, you know. Tuesday.

RJ 17:

OT: Well I'll be damned. Just judging by the clips that were shown during the review that actually does look like...a pretty damn good "kung fu movie". That it's Keanu's debut as a director and looks/sounds that good is really surprising. That said, I never saw why Keanu always got so much hate. Sure, he's got that California surfer-dude voice that made him perfect for Bill & Ted but "less suited" for more serious roles, but I never thought his acting in The Matrix was as horrible as a lot of people tended to think it was.

Here's to hoping that Keanu turns out like Ben Affleck and becomes a surprisingly good director.

A lot of peoples problem with Keanu is that when trying to be serious he comes across as somewhat wooden or robotic. Also he has a habit of being the lower point in otherwise great movies.

Fun fact, Keanu Reeves also produced the documentary Side By Side (on Netflix if curious) that covered the rise of digital cinema & the death of film(35mm variety).

Has allot of Hollywood celebrities chime in on the issue.

wait ! He actually says "FINISH HIM!" ?! Can't wait to get my hands on this one!

No matter how respectable of a fighting style it may be, whenever I hear about tai chi being used in combat, all I can think about is this old Arj Barker joke.

The Apple BOOM:
All I see with these two Bob is oogling over is film buffs who think they can do video games because they can do film. Not to say they can't do video games, but just assuming they'll be right for the job is going somewhat far.

Plus, the last time we heard about something like this (Steven Spielberg), nothing ever came of it.

SnakeoilSage:
I really liked Constantine (yes, even Shiah Labeouf, who's cocky-teenager personality make more sense in the movie because he's playing a cocky-teenager).

Labeouf was in that? Astonishing, I've completely blocked that out of my memory. FWIW, I have a number of compliants with the movie, but none of them are about Shia.

Regarding Noah, I have a really cheap shot which I've got to get out of my system. What possible explanation can they have for doing the title in brushed steel? ( http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/noah/ ) I mean, maybe - maaaaybe - it's supposed to be rain, seen through the letters? But it looks like steel to me.

Liked that today's review was for Man of Tai Chi - I was curious to hear how Keanu's directorial debut went and am pleased it wasn't a fiasco.

I really liked man of tai chi, it was way better than an underground kung fu tournament movie deserved to be

Steve the Pocket:
Plus, the last time we heard about something like this (Steven Spielberg), nothing ever came of it.

What?! He did Boom Blocks and MoH.

Seriously, Movie Bob
try READING the bible before claiming you know what's in it 'cause over half that BULLSHIT you talked about being there...

isn't

drthmik:
Seriously, Movie Bob
try READING the bible before claiming you know what's in it 'cause over half that BULLSHIT you talked about being there...

isn't

Genesis 6:4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days-and also afterward-when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Numbers 13:33 We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

You might want to go and actually read the entire Bible from front to back before accusing other people of being ignorant of your own religion. And that's without even so much as dipping my toes in the truly weird waters of the Apocrypha.

Huh. I was expecting Bob to tear into Catching Fire today, but maybe that's next week. But this looks good, so I'm gonna look out for a theater near me playing it.
Also, if you want to read more about Reeves' off-screen awesomeness, look at this:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20413_5-heartwarming-stories-to-restore-your-faith-in-celebrities.html

So... wait, where did MovieBob that Megan Ellison and Spike Jonze wanted to be part of the video game biz? Because that sounds awesome!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here