Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Review - Old and Improved

Pages PREV 1 2

Outstanding review! Needs a little polish, but still worth the (re)buy. Thanks!
Sounds like they pulled the infamous dialog.talk apart and spread the information around a bit?
Easier to mod now, I suppose, but all the old, gold mods won't install ... pity.

Kahani:
So once again it does nothing that hasn't already been done years ago by entirely free mods. Why the hell would anyone be willing to pay money for this crap?

As I said in the review, it's ideal for people looking for an "enhanced" replay without having to screw around with mods or newcomers who have no knowledge of such things. There are an awful lot of people who would rather pay an extra $15 or $20 over the GOG price for the regular edition if it means a painless, hassle-free upgrade.

Thank [insert deity name here] for this!
BG2 was one of the first PC games I ever bought when I was a wee nipper and I still have the massive box it came in (the map/poster has disappeared sadly). Unfortunately, a few years ago I went to start playing it again and disc 2 snapped as I was taking it out! The main play disc! I was devastated D:

Thankfully, this Enhanced Edition means I can relive all those happy memories. I don't even mind if none of the mods I had work with it because I've played them all to death and it's been so long that unless it's a character mod, I probably won't even notice it's gone XD

Damn, I really wish I played this in its heyday. I played the first one EE, and I feel guilty for saying that I've become a shallow soul who, on not enjoying the aesthetics or UI of a game, or being wiped in the first real battle, gave up. There's simply too much to play these days, I couldn't give it the time it deserves. Maybe I'll try over my christmas break.

Deviluk:
Damn, I really wish I played this in its heyday. I played the first one EE, and I feel guilty for saying that I've become a shallow soul who, on not enjoying the aesthetics or UI of a game, or being wiped in the first real battle, gave up. There's simply too much to play these days, I couldn't give it the time it deserves. Maybe I'll try over my christmas break.

Baldur's Gate is a commitment. As is typical with AD&D games, once you gain a few levels you'll find that you're not nearly as delicate in a fight, but the bad news is that harsh words are a mortal threat when you're first starting out. You might find BG2EE a little easier because you begin the game as a seasoned adventurer, but it's also much larger than the original, especially if you get caught up in side quests. (And if you don't get caught up in side quests, you're doing it wrong.)

Have you ever found your way into the Baldur's Gate Mega Mod? And if so, how would the EE's compare to it? Speaking from my experience, I've found the Mega Mod to have enriched the trilogy so highly that I can't bear to try anything else that attempts to be "Baldur's Gate". I'm speaking from a position of almost total ignorance of both BG EE's except for the reviews of them.

I, however, am perfectly happy with where the Mega Mod has taken my BG Trilogy, and even though it took quite a bit of hair-pulling to get it together, I don't remember any of that now.

Undead Dragon King:
Have you ever found your way into the Baldur's Gate Mega Mod?

I haven't. I've played vanilla BG and the EEs, and that's it. And for someone like you, the EE really doesn't make sense, because you've effectively "enhanced" it yourself and are comfortable jumping through those hoops.

Isn't Baldur's Gate a quadrilogy? BG, TotSC, BG2, ToB? Or do you count BG and TotSC together?

Andy Chalk:
Isn't Baldur's Gate a quadrilogy? BG, TotSC, BG2, ToB? Or do you count BG and TotSC together?

There's three parts to the Bhaalspawn's story: BG1, BG2 and ToB.
TotSC is generally considered part of Part 1(BG1) because it's all sidequests and no main story.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 66590)