Reviews: Super Mario 3D World Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I really enjoyed your review.

It made points and discussed the points as open-mindedly as possible. I like to know why a reviewer has an opinion.

Very good Review. It's nice to see Nintendo can still keep their, pretty consistent, high quality up. I just often wish they could attach it to something new.

Wait, Mario has a killer bee attack? Can he do jump cancels and a DT burst?

Super Mario 3D World Review

The Escapist reviews [/i]Super Mario 3D World[/i].

Watch Video

Moviebob...please, for the love of god...DO MORE VIDEO GAME REVIEWS!

Seriously, I know you have your reasons for not doing video game reviews, but this review kind of rocked!

This game looks like super Mario 3d land but for the wii u and I thought 3d land was kind of oke as far as 3d Mario platformers go, I especially disliked that instead of a health bar we get mushrooms.

Bobby, not by name, but the mega mushroom was in Super Mario 64 DS.

If I had a Wii U, I'd be all over this. I don't care for nostalgia, nor do I play Mario to have my mind blown. This just looks like a fun, enjoyable romp with the Mario characters.

Also, I don't care if Bowser is still the villain.

That was a surprisingly great review Bob. I know one could technically call you a 'Mario fanboy,' but this was still a very fair review. You should keep it up!

Come on Greg, give Bob more reviews!

Weird. Review by MovieBob a long time Nintendo fan and it's the one review who gave worst pontuaction to the game so far, which averages a 9.5/10
Even GameSpot gave 9! GameSpot, the anti Nintendo site.

I almost conclude that you tried so hard to be impartial and not to show your Nintendo bias that you went the other way by giving less instead of more appraise it deserved. Not that 4/5 is bad. But it's bad for fricking Mario.

Gotta say. I'm down for Bob doing some reviews

My fiance is so disappointed that this game isnt on the 3DS. She loved 3D Land, and thinks the catsuits are adorable. Alas we have no WiiU, so no Mareow (Which I am coining right now) for her.

Good review Bob! You should do em more often.

Movie Bob! great to see you doing this review.

Full Metal Bolshevik:
Weird. Review by MovieBob a long time Nintendo fan and it's the one review who gave worst pontuaction to the game so far, which averages a 9.5/10

I almost conclude that you tried so hard to be impartial and not to show your Nintendo bias that you went the other way by giving less instead of more appraise it deserved. Not that 4/5 is bad. But it's bad for fricking Mario.

I wonder if it partly has to do with the artistic theme they've had going since 2006 with NSMB, and you could go just a bit further back with the theme taking shape in SMS. Considering the many visual changes the series took in 5 years between 1985 and 1990, and then essentially have none compared to the last five years, SM3DW could have been an opportunity to bring a much-needed change to the artistic style.

That game looks like more fun than a barrel full of pygmy owls.

Is this Bob's first Escapist review? It's interesting seeing them bring more of their content creators into their reviews business.

OT: Good review all around. If I had a Wii U I'd pick this up for sure. Catsuit looks fun and I've been itching to play Peach in a platformer again for awhile. Mario 2's still one of my favorite Mario games.

Dr.Awkward:

Full Metal Bolshevik:

I wonder if it partly has to do with the artistic theme they've had going since 2006 with NSMB, and you could go just a bit further back with the theme taking shape in SMS. Considering the many visual changes the series took in 5 years between 1985 and 1990, and then essentially have none compared to the last five years, SM3DW could have been an opportunity to bring a much-needed change to the artistic style.

Fair critic. But, such as the Bowser still being the bad guy, I think both are worth mentioning but it's not enough to warrant a decrease of 2 points if the game is still fun as hell, which every single reviewer seems to think so far.

Besides, it's hard to inovate in every single thing, they did a big upgrade in terms of level design comparing to NSM3D Land and added new power ups, I don't know how's the music in this new Mario, but it was the weakest thing in the previous one in my opinion and I think it has been praised so far on this new one. Maybe next time they'll change Bowser and the artstyle, I'd like that, but again, whathever Nintendo chooses to do, their games are always very fun to play because they know what the focus should be, and that is, the gameplay.

Barbas:
That game looks like more fun than a barrel full of pygmy owls.

Am I a bad person for wanting to see how you have "fun" with a barrel full of pygmy owls? 'Cuz I wanna record that.

Bob does a video game review, huh? And of a Nintendo game, no doubt. Still, all things aside, pretty decent review.

After playing the new rayman games, I am bored with the new mario games artistic design and am slightly disappointed they didn't try to make it a little more fresh.

This is a great review. I love that you got to do a videogame review and video review. There are few (if any) people I would trust more on a mario review than MovieBob. Great job.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

I don't think metacritic scores are a viable measure at the moment seeing as over 1/4 of the 'review sites' so far have the name Nintendo in their titles.
Wait for a week, then the proper sites will give it a good thorough scrub down.
As for the review, surprisingly moderate from Bob. He glossed past his usual nostalgic preferences to give a very big picture perspective. kudos

Bob, great review. It's nice to see fans of a series actually ask for new stuff from the series they are fond of and recognize when that series is not living up to itself.

Still, the game does look fun, even if it could be better. I really liked the multi-player in the Wii games because it was so silly, though I never did play 3D land.

Nice review Bob!

Definitely hope to see more game reviews from you in the future.

Yes great review, really goes with what I've always said about how a review site needs to pay close attention to who they assign to different games. Can't get a better opinion for a Mario game than a long time Nintendo connoisseur with a preference for platformers.

Wow, seeing Bob review this was a nice surprise, this is one of the games that I have been waiting to get a Wii-U for. It will be the first Mario game I have ever owned! I've played a few of the classics at friends places, just never owned one, and ma delighted to see this one looks good :D

MaximumTheHormone:

Full Metal Bolshevik:

I don't think metacritic scores are a viable measure at the moment seeing as over 1/4 of the 'review sites' so far have the name Nintendo in their titles.
Wait for a week, then the proper sites will give it a good thorough scrub down.
As for the review, surprisingly moderate from Bob. He glossed past his usual nostalgic preferences to give a very big picture perspective. kudos

Exageration, it's 3 out of 36 critics.
But yeah, later reviews are usually better because it lets the hype go down.

Still, I reserve my right to find 4 stars weird, so far there's only been two, Bob review and a french site.

I'm criticising the final score, but in terms of content and writing I loved the review, Bob is one of the best and I hope he continues writing reviews occasionally.

So, they're letting us play as Peach again. This should be interesting, just to see how the feminist criticism responds to it.

But, as I don't have a WiiU and don't plan on getting one, I probably won't have a real opinion on the game itself.

For the second time now I'm baffled by an Escapist review that decries how co-op adds "nothing new" over the single player experience. First time I noticed it was with Fable 3.

How about the ability to play with my partner? That's definitely something over the single player. A huge thing.

Bob,

I'm as surprised as anyone to see you review a game. And with a Big Picture come right along side. Must have been a busy week!

That said, I'm glad for the advice, and glad to see you in this role. Is it, in fact, your first game review (officially, for the escapist?)

Thanks! I look forward to picking this one up, as I seem to be one of the twelve people that purchased a Wii U (When the price drop happened. With the Zelda bundle. Because I'm a sucker for crap like that. And Pikmin.)

Full Metal Bolshevik:

Still, I reserve my right to find 4 stars weird, so far there's only been two, Bob review and a french site.

I'm criticising the final score, but in terms of content and writing I loved the review, Bob is one of the best and I hope he continues writing reviews occasionally.

yeh, my bad on the 1/4 thing, when i checked only 11 reviews were out.
eh, coming from a film reviewer's perspective a 4/5 is pretty damn high. Granted the escapist has usually set a standard or pretty liberal so this may effect the metrics, but Bob still has a right to set his own standards.
Seeing as Bob hasn't reviewed anything else metrically (as far as I know) before he hasn't really left any precedents so here he set his own. From this standard I assume not much, if anything, is gonna be getting above 4 stars from him if he's allowed to review again.

RJ Dalton:
So, they're letting us play as Peach again. This should be interesting, just to see how the feminist criticism responds to it.

But, as I don't have a WiiU and don't plan on getting one, I probably won't have a real opinion on the game itself.

But the cursor will start on Mario, making her a secondary choice! /sarcasm.

Yeah, I hope to see more of this sort of thing in the industry as a whole.

I was sad that this review came after the XbOne reviews. It just goes to show how mainstream gaming has leaped away from the classics.

And then I almost LOL'd (in a public place) at how Bob, of all people, was reviewing this: starting chipper (pun intended) and continuing in a comprehensive manner. I guess there's no better person to review a game than someone who was going to get it anyways due to being a fan, while everyone else is in the "next gen" excitement wagon.

This looks like a GOTY contender, if not a GOTY winner. It's so good that I think of getting a Wii U for it this holiday season, since the PS4 and XbOne have no must-haves.
Then again, I'm a long-term thinker and have hardly anyone to play Mario with. I'll most likely get a PS4 after Christmas to access that best-of PS3 library and PS Plus's PC-equivalent deals and freebies.

Kinda surprising to see Bob and Jim Sterling doing game reviews on the site these days. I'd like to play Super Mario 3D World. It may not be groundbreaking, but it looks fun and its great to see a 4-player co-op that includes Princess Peach and Toad.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

Jim's video is very relevant to this type of post.

Xman490:

This looks like a GOTY contender, if not a GOTY winner.

Really? What makes you think that?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or