Escapist Podcast: 118: Xbox One

118: Xbox One

This week, we discuss the Xbox One.

Watch Video

First thing that pops in my head...

This video is half the length of the ps4 podcast.

Clearly it's inferior.

How long were you using the ps4? I've had mine running for a few hours and its barely warm to the touch.

Perhaps its my setup. My entertainment center allows like 8 inches all the way around the system.

In relation to game capture it's important to remember that The Xbone has No HDCP, whereas the PS4 does.
Anyway solid coverage guys, very informative, fair and lacks the biased vitriol that some journalists are feeling pressured to display right now.

(The logo of the PodCat on the main page appears to be missing its whiskers... although its new nipple-tassels are rather snazzy)
[EDIT: Ha! You fixed it. My work here is done.]

If I had a time machine I would go back and buy controlling shares in Microsoft - and then skip forward in time and fire the person who invented the Ribbon for MS Office. The Ribbon killed off the menus, then evolved into the Metro UI and is now spreading into consoles. It has to be stopped! None of our interfaces are safe.

But seriously, Microsoft seems to have a grand vision of unifying all of their systems under a common compatible interface. It's a worthy goal and I hope they succeed, but so far it just feels clumsy and disjointed.

Draconalis:

Clearly it's inferior.

It was the host choices for this week.

Janelle just isnt talkative enough.

If there were different-size controllers, people would have more trouble playing at their friends'.

"3.5 headphone jacks... ..which is great right now, but in my opinion; is going to woefully outdated in three to five years. All those standards are going to go away after a while."

Phone jack connectors have been with us since 1878, and the 3.5mm jack has been the default consumer grade connector since the 1980's. It's not going anywhere any time soon.

Sure, it's been supplanted for high end audio transmission by a variety of formats, but for something as simple as voice chat? 3.5mm jacks are probably going to outlive you and me, and are certainly going to outlive audio over HDMI.

Vie:
"3.5 headphone jacks... ..which is great right now, but in my opinion; is going to woefully outdated in three to five years. All those standards are going to go away after a while."

Phone jack connectors have been with us since 1878, and the 3.5mm jack has been the default consumer grade connector since the 1980's. It's not going anywhere any time soon.

Sure, it's been supplanted for high end audio transmission by a variety of formats, but for something as simple as voice chat? 3.5mm jacks are probably going to outlive you and me, and are certainly going to outlive audio over HDMI.

And... do you think a $400 piece of equipment whose controllers cost $60 each shouldn't use the "high end" standard?

Draconalis:

Clearly it's inferior.

We actually had an issue with one of the mics. Luckily/Unluckily we had already wrapped our conversation on the Xbox One.

Raziel:
How long were you using the ps4? I've had mine running for a few hours and its barely warm to the touch.

Perhaps its my setup. My entertainment center allows like 8 inches all the way around the system.

It had been on for a few hours that morning. I just remember being surprised reaching behind it to move some stuff and noticing how hot everything was and how much heat was coming off the back of the PS4.

On the controller bumper discussion, I learned that it is oddly different and takes some getting used to, but in a way that once you learn how to use it, it's "better" (arguably). It did feel a bit weird, but then I realized, you're not supposed to move your finger off the trigger. The bumpers are made now to rest under your index fingers so you just roll pressure onto them. Once I tried it that way, I can't go back to moving my fingers solely to "press" the bumpers.

Good discussion, though. So far, I'm really enjoying my Xbox One, controller and Kinect included. Looking forward to what the future holds for it.

Slycne:

We actually had an issue with one of the mics. Luckily/Unluckily we had already wrapped our conversation on the PS4.

So... just so I understand correctly... the X-box One podcast was cut short because a mic was screwing up, but that was okay, because you were done talking about the ps4.

That makes me laugh so much, I love you.

Draconalis:

Slycne:

We actually had an issue with one of the mics. Luckily/Unluckily we had already wrapped our conversation on the PS4.

So... just so I understand correctly... the X-box One podcast was cut short because a mic was screwing up, but that was okay, because you were done talking about the ps4.

That makes me laugh so much, I love you.

Heh, console freudian slip. I meant that our segment on the Xbox One was done. We basically lost some news stuff on Fallout 4 and Uncharted 4, along with some user questions.

Slycne:

Heh, console freudian slip. I meant that our segment on the Xbox One was done. We basically lost some news stuff on Fallout 4 and Uncharted 4, along with some user questions.

I figured that was the case, but it's much less funny.

And when there was no mention of user questions at all, not even "Whelp, we don't got none." I kinda suspected something was up.

Captcha: Time is an illusion.

Clearly this discussion on podcast length is moot.

Edit:

JonB:

And... do you think a $400 piece of equipment whose controllers cost $60 each shouldn't use the "high end" standard?

I'm personally going to go with "no"

Because I don't want the 60 dollar controller to cost 70 dollars to reflect this minute change.

Also, I don't particularly feel like spending whatever the hell the cost of a "high end" mic is. I'm pretty okay with whatever 10 dollars gets me. Or better yet... whatever is laying around the house, since it's standard.

JonB:

No, because it's a consumer device. All it has to do is provide basic audio in and out capabilities, which can be done with a simple phono plug - with the bonus that it then works with everything else on the market.

Introducing a "high end" standard for something so basic is a waste of money both for the consumer and for the console producer. You don't need professional grade audio ports when your hooking them up to consumer grade speakers and mics, and even more you don't need them when your using a VOIP system with limited bandwidth.

It would be like... ..buying a really high class driveway for a standard suburban house, and parking a Chevrolet Spark on it.

Vie:

JonB:

No, because it's a consumer device. All it has to do is provide basic audio in and out capabilities, which can be done with a simple phono plug - with the bonus that it then works with everything else on the market.

Introducing a "high end" standard for something so basic is a waste of money both for the consumer and for the console producer. You don't need professional grade audio ports when your hooking them up to consumer grade speakers and mics, and even more you don't need them when your using a VOIP system with limited bandwidth.

It would be like... ..buying a really high class driveway for a standard suburban house, and parking a Chevrolet Spark on it.

Interesting - I see where you're coming from and agree with your primary points. The PS4 controller will do what it has to do, but no more. However, I think that providing increased possible functionality on the XB1 controller was smarter. You can do more with that port. Will someone? Hard to say. As it is, though, the PS4 controller only really provides support for a VOIP system with limited bandwidth. The XB1 controller provides for more. Point to Xbox One.

Escapist! Why no new podcat?:(

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 51590)