The Big Picture: Dog, Gone

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dog, Gone

Welcome to a spoiler filled episode about the latest installment of Family Guy.

Watch Video

Nooo, not Brian. He's my favourite character in this show. I hope its just a huge joke/Stewie finds some way to bring him back. Their duo "road trip" episodes were some of the funniest Family Guy ever did.

Also, GO PATS!!!

Interesting theory, Bob. I thought for sure they were going to kill off Brian; I thought Vinny has some mild charm to him.

It's interesting how the friendship and bickering between Stewie and Brian is all that kept this show interesting in the slightest. Yet ... here we are.

I had exactly the same thoughts Bob when I heard the news yesterday, while there's a chance this could be serious it seems more likely that it's a publicity stunt, given there's little long-term profit in killing off a popular character but quite a bit of short-term in the attention the show will get for the next few weeks. Those episode titles especially are a dead give away.

Stew's gonna clone him and make it all better y'all can relax

I totally forgot about how they were going to kill off one of the cast for months now, until I saw a notice on IGN. Then I went to my DVR which records all new family guy episodes(which I haven't seen in a good year) and good god, did not see that coming. Of all the characters, Brain was not the one I would of guessed I mean he's the voice of reason for the family if not peters and stewie's. I really hope this is a short lived thing and that stewie re-builds the time machine to fix this asap, one things for sure, I'm going to be watching family guy alot more in the near future.

Also if this is not a short term thing and are making this permanent, they can ask G1 fans how well killing Optimus and replacing him with Rodimus went.

...Dang, that was quick work, Bob.

So yeah, this is sad, but again, who knows where they're going with this until all is said and done.

Tha was fast! I was expecting this episode next week!
Honestly I would like to think this is pernament but again as it was already mention, death rarely last long in media (especially in comic book) well depending on the show itself.

I thought Brian's death was too predictable based on the fact he was dead when Stewie went into the future.

Just saw the show. I think it's terrible they killed Bryan for a multitude of reasons but the fact that they replace him with an almost identical character seems dumb to me.
It's like we now have what we had before they killed Bryan - just slightly different. They should have added a totally new character if they were going to do this. If they were going to freshen up the show adding what is essentially just a slightly different Bryan isn't going to achieve that.
Not to mention that the way they did it and the episode itself were super weak.

WTF... Spoiler in the f*cking title.

thanks...

I hate to be a stickler for facts here but Im an engineer and it really bothers me. Stewie states he cant rebuild the time machine to save Brian because he can't get titanium capacitors. First off a capacitor isn't anything special. It just stores energy. When you talk about "Titanium" capacitors I fail to see why he couldn't just have one manufactured and even if Titanium was rare which it's not theres a plethora of available alternatives that would serve the same function. Dammit family guy get your science straight.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/titanium-capacitor.html here $5 go crazy.

Ronack:
It's interesting how the friendship and bickering between Stewie and Brian is all that kept this show interesting in the slightest. Yet ... here we are.

That is just the thing: "Family Guy" has two whole characters in the show, Stewie and Brian. Everyone else is just a vehicle or template for gags. So, with 13 years and two whole characters in the show, they decide to kill off one of them. It is no coincidence that whenever you ask a person who their favorite character(s) are on the show, they will answer with Stewie or Brian. Because those are really their only choices, if they have any idea what a proper character is in the first place.

Honestly I do not watch the show anymore, as I got sick of it pretty quickly, so I do not really care whether or not Brian is gone for all time, or whether this is some kind of satire on the "dramatic special episode."

Quick Wikipedia search ends up with two future episodes with Brian's name. Soooo... ya.

Also, didn't Stewie "kill" Lois once? And it ended up being a bad dream in the end anyways?

I know this show exists for the sake of explaining rarely-understood or little-known topics, but outside of Bob's own enjoyment of Family Guy I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to anything. Characters die all the time in every form of story-telling media you can think of. Doctor Who swaps out its main character actor every couple of years and each one of them has gone through handfuls of supporting characters, some of whom have remained famous and ubiquitous with the series as a whole despite only being around for a year or two.

Now if Family Guy had taken the bold step of offing Peter Griffin, a character who has come to more or less exemplify everything I find annoying with the animated sitcom, being an abusive, neglectful, pants-crappingly stupid bull in a china shop who we're expected to somehow relate to and cheer for while he's treating his wife, children and basically everyone around him like shit and not being called to account for it, I might care enough to keep an eye on this. As it is, I just don't care.

Dang it Bob thanks for the spoiler right in the face >(

If Seth MacFarlane REALLY wanted to end the show then why didn't he just kill off Stewie?
Let's be honest... He's the only reason people still watch.

It's not for Peter, Chris or Lois maybe Meg... People love Meg.

I dislike it when status quo is god(tv tropes ftw) so Im happy when a show shakes things up, at least as long as the chances result in better stories, despite that I don't except this particular change to last long.

rasputin0009:
Quick Wikipedia search ends up with two future episodes with Brian's name. Soooo... ya.

Also, didn't Stewie "kill" Lois once? And it ended up being a bad dream in the end anyways?

I believe you're referring to the episode where the events were happening inside Stewie's "simulation goggles". But I think I might be wrong.

OuendanCyrus:

rasputin0009:

I believe you're referring to the episode where the events were happening inside Stewie's "simulation goggles". But I think I might be wrong.

You might be right, too. I can't really remember, it's been a long time since I've watched that episode.

I'm agreeing that this is most likely a cop-out and everything will go back to normal soon, but there's something that bothers me - we often talk about mature audiences and the need for show-runners to be bolder and more creative, yet the thought that they might not commit to this and especially learning about the immediate fan backlash makes me think we can't accept anything but the status-quo. I agree that Vinnie is conceptually a lame character and that Brian, as pathetic and whiny as he's been for the last few seasons, brought out the best in the show both in the thoughtful, often dark meditations on life as a failed writer and philosophical hypocrite that repulses even Quagmire, and the Hope/Crosby playfulness he has with Stewie. However, back-peddling at this point would not only ruin the long-term relevance of this episode, basically making it pointless, but could seriously damage the trust between viewers and produces - "Bunch of suckers! We can pull anything on them, they won't care!" I hate to say it, but I'm really on the fence on whether he should stay dead.

Then again, Adam West apparently died too ("No one came to MY funeral!" *disappears*) and there's no way they're leaving that plot hole open without looking like assholes.

I first heard Brian was dead because someone posted one of those pics about it on my Facebook newsfeed, a quick run to wikipedia filled in most of the blanks for me, all I haven't seen is the episode itself yet.

Truth be told, I'm not that sad that they killed off Brian. I wish I could say that I was, but I'm not. Actually it makes me really applaud Family Guy for taking a chance and really killing off a main character like that.

In earlier seasons, Brian was one of my all time favorite characters, the witty alcoholic "uncle" character who was more libertarian or just not all that political at all in his initial run ("This is why I don't vote." ~ Brian Griffin) than the left wing, anti-religion radical he later became (basically a less interesting Hailey Smith if she were a dog) due to him basically being a writer's surrogate character, and the only times I found myself caring about him in any story were the fun team-ups he had with Stewie such as Stewie and Brian join the military, Stewie and Brian build a house together, etc. etc.

What DOES bother me though from what I've read though is HOW Brian died...hit by a car? That's it? That just seemed like the writer's spent a whole day trying to come up with something and then at around 11pm once they finished the Chinese Take Out they just kinda went "Okay, fine."

The show started in 1999, it's 2013, that makes Brian (arguably) 14 years old. They could have done an incredibly meta story about him dying of old age, or even (not to invite even more Simpsons comparisons) make him die due to the faults or actions of an existing character.

I dunno, being hit by a car just seems like a weird way for them to go about it.

Will they bring Brian back? I dunno. A small part of me is actually hoping they don't, but with the amount of fan backlash over this it almost feels like they would have to.

rasputin0009:

OuendanCyrus:

rasputin0009:

You might be right, too. I can't really remember, it's been a long time since I've watched that episode.

It was a simulation chair where Stewie mapped out what would happen if he finally actually tried to kill Lois - it didn't end well, which gave the showrunners an excuse not to retread that plotline every episode like in the first seasons.

as with everyone else and you as well bob. I doubt this will actually last long. I mean I guess it can last and I suppose I'll catch it when it airs on Adult Swim again soon but I generally can not take most of what family guy says seriously.

Obligatory: This show is still running? Wait, people still watch TV?!

With that out of the way... from the description, my vote is for a contrived reset to the status quo.

I admit I stopped watching the show after it got all "political"... but this does seem like a bit of a sucker punch to fans. And if they bring him back the following episode, wouldn't that cheapen the last one?

Or maybe I'm just saying this because I'm still pissed about the follow-up to the South Park episode "You're Getting Old" snapping back to the status quo after only one episodes. Seriously, what the hell?

In terms of the individual episode, this ranks up near the top in terms of being able to effectively relay one of the most difficult concepts in television: death.

There's really two kinds of death in television. Long, strung out deaths due to illness or deathwishing (i.e. being in organized crime or the target of a terrorist organization) are extremely common. Far rarer are the sudden deaths that come without explanation, and this episode effectively used the show's existing framework to manipulate expectations and make it built to transmit the sudden "oh fuck, he's dead" that will make this a key moment in the series. Fox was even smart enough to not release anything about the episode to broadcast the key nature of this sudden change.

Even if they stick to it, it's hard to feel much loss in a show where stuff like the following clip is a normal thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTrFT68nSE

I mean, Peter seems to have a personal relationship with Death himself. They could easily write themselves out of it, or just be lazy and just have him come back with no explanation at all.

TechTim:
Stew's gonna clone him and make it all better y'all can relax

The only two times Stewie did cloning: 1) the clones melted after a period of time (24hrs?) and 2) it was an accident that caused him to make an "evil Stewie" that cut off Brian's tail and shoved it down his throat.

So, it's possible he could do it if he's gotten the kinks out. But as it stands right now, he's not perfected cloning just yet...

Good to know you pay attention to sports, Bob. Having multiple interests is healthy, and at the very least now I know that my occasional jabs won't be automatically ignored (17 SECONDS!!!)

I'm kind of surprised that there was a backlash on this. As a pretty big fan of the show not that long ago, I didn't know that there were still new episodes airing anymore.

Vinnie died on the way back to his home planet.

Aside from that nonsense, wow this show is getting hatefully bad. The opening scene was an extended racist joke about Native Americans, which is bad enough to begin with... but to air it in close proximity to Thanksgiving, of all times? That's just pathetic.

Ach. I was rather hoping they'd put poor Meg out of her misery. It's gotten rather difficult to watch the abuse that poor character gets.

Furthermore, replacing the dog with... Another dog doesn't sound like such a hot idea. It just makes it all rather meaningless, doesn't it? Perhaps it was meaningless all along... But then agai-

---Look at you, Muspelheim. What are you doing? This is related to Family Guy. What did you think?

We will likely hear of any genuinly interesting developments worthy of note in the future. Do somethung useful and feed The Id.---

Welp, suppose you're right, Super-Ego. I hope for interesting developments. And cheers in advance, Bob, since I know where to listen for them!

First of all, South Park is no longer on Netflix, only Hulu Plus (The South Park Movie is still on Netflix however). I know it's an older picture for Netflix but your going to confuse a lot of people.

OT, however, I was surprised they chose to kill Brian. I didn't see the episode myself, but Vinny does look ugly. I was really expecting them to kill Meg; she really doesn't do anything, everyone (in the show) hates her to some degree, and I would assume Mila Kunis would want to be focusing more on Movies rather then the show where she's a Butt Monkey.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here