Escape to the Movies: Frozen

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Frozen

MovieBob takes us into the world of Frozen.

Watch Video

I was definitely in the camp that wanted to pass up this movie. The ad campaign made my friends and I groan pretty hard. However, I think Bob swayed me to give it a try (as ya, this seems like a completely different movie from what they were trying to sell). I'm not that big into princess movies, but this seems pretty sweet.

You're kidding, right? They're releasing a follow-up to Mary Poppins? as in, this is a real thing?

Yeah, no.

Nice idea, Disney, but no.

So you're saying princesses for us lesbians?. Back to waiting everyone.

OT: This sounds like something I need to see.

Best princess movie since Mulan? High Praise. Glad to see you liked it, Bob.

2xDouble:
You're kidding, right? They're releasing a follow-up to Mary Poppins? as in, this is a real thing?

Yeah, no.

Nice idea, Disney, but no.

Just to clarify, it's not a follow up to Mary Poppins. It's a movie about Walt Disney trying to secure the rights of Mary Poppins from its author, who is very controlling about how her story should be presented due to the personal attachment to the project.

I don't know if that is better or worse of an idea than simply following up Mary Poppins, but I figured it was worth clarifying :)

Edit: I should probably comment on the movie at hand too. :P. Honestly, I'm a sucker for animated movies, and I was going to see it anyway, but now I'm really excited about it. If it's everything Bob says it is, I'll feel a hell of a lot better about the fact that Pixar just isn't that great anymore. As long as one of the big three is still going strong, I'll be happy :)

I'm wondering what Bob thought of Tangled. Cause to me, that felt like a good throwback to the 90's Disney.

Well... Damn. I'd heard that this was getting good reviews, but I was NOT expecting to hear Bob praise it to the moon and back like that. I was going to skip this movie myself, because I was so disgusted by the ads with that damn snowman, but I went and listened to Idena Menzel's song from the movie after watching this review, and holy crap, Bob wasn't kidding about it. I'm convinced now; I gotta go see this.

Wow, that was unexpected.

I mean, obviously we were going to see it. I have kids. We see every fucking animated piece of shit there is. But now I'm actually looking forward to it.

This is pretty high praise... I just might have to make some time to go and see this!

Well this was... unexpected!

Best heroine-thingy since Mulan?
I can't remember how many times I've seen Mulan as a kid, and if this is even close to the same, or hell, even better. I'll need to see this at some point. 2 animated sisters, 22 years of age or not, this kind of praise has to be checked out :P

"The best since Mulan"...

Wow.

In my view at least, this thing needs to be a straight up cinematic revelation to be worthy of rubbing shoulders with Mulan, but if Bob's objective was to get me in a theatre to see a movie that I otherwise wouldn't have looked at twice, then mission accomplished.

Loose adaptation..? Considering that it sounds nothing like the story that H.C. Andersen wrote, it sort of comes off as "nothing alike, apart from there being a snow queen in it".

Forgive me if I sound snobbish about this, but The Snow Queen is the first story I ever read as a kid, that really spoke to me of a sense of wonder and amazing imagination.
One of the interesting parts of this story, is that almost all the characters are women or girls, with the exception of Kaj, the Prince and the Devil, who all serve minor roles.

I don't know if I want to see it at all. It sounds like a nice spin-off, but at the same time I'm sad that the story has become so distorted. The Little Mermaid I can understand that the story was changed in a drastic way, since it's a very sad story, but Frozen sounds like it's butchered the story.

Bob, your talking to the internet, you should know that the internet's head is "ALWAYS" in the gutter.

Last night at thanksgiving dinner, my brother and my sister in law asked if I wanted to go see this with them this weekend. I said no but after seeing this I might call them back and give this one a shot.

Might go and see it if I have the opportunity to. Reading the Intermission has actually gotten me interested.

And if you thought the internet implying lesbianism is bad, give it about a week. I'm sure the internet can come up with worse pairings for this movie.

There was something that left a bad taste about this movie. I've never read the original story this was based off but a friend described it to me and it sounded pretty awesome. A cast of diverse character (most of whom are female which is rare) with different, interesting motivations set of to defeat an evil ruler. (I'm just abridging it.) This is the stuff good a good rpg is made of. But with this movie all those interesting characters are replaced by two guys and an annoying sidekick character. Plus, the two main leads look exactly like Rapunzel from Tangled. Combined with the marketing it wasn't looking like a good movie. But thanks to Bob's review I'm going to give the movie a chance.

So close to Bob's definition of perfect, and yet Miyazaki's new work blows it out of the park. Such a vast chasm between east and west animation.

Smilomaniac:
Loose adaptation..? Considering that it sounds nothing like the story that H.C. Andersen wrote, it sort of comes off as "nothing alike, apart from there being a snow queen in it".

Forgive me if I sound snobbish about this, but The Snow Queen is the first story I ever read as a kid, that really spoke to me of a sense of wonder and amazing imagination.
One of the interesting parts of this story, is that almost all the characters are women or girls, with the exception of Kaj, the Prince and the Devil, who all serve minor roles.

I don't know if I want to see it at all. It sounds like a nice spin-off, but at the same time I'm sad that the story has become so distorted. The Little Mermaid I can understand that the story was changed in a drastic way, since it's a very sad story, but Frozen sounds like it's butchered the story.

Well, it can't really butcher the story since it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the story asides the fact there is a snow queen...and even then, it doesn't really. It's probably the closest we're going to get to an original idea from Disney movies. What it DOES have in common, however, is the fact that all the major characters are still girls (Elsa and Anna). The two people drive the entire plot forward. The other main male characters (Olaf, Kristoff, and Hans) while still characters, ultimately are of minor importance in the grand scheme of the movie. You really should give this one a chance.

OT: I am happy Bob loved this film as much as I did. Seriously, GO SEE IT!

Wow... this was a long one. Admittedly it has to, given all that Bob discussed in this video. I love me some Disney, and I was going to see this anyway, but now I am SO much more hyped for this then I originally was for it! ...I also kind of liked Tangled, but that also had the bad marketing going for it. Yeah, Disney seems to be going out of its way to making sure ONLY the lowest common denominator sees this movie, which is unfortunately selling the movie short.

Oh boy, deviant art is gonna have a field day with this one...

That being said it sounds like whoever was in charge of the marketing campaign for this movie needs to be handed their walking papers. Brave, for example, was decidedly "alright" as a movie but its marketing was brilliant.

Frozen is going to rely on figures like Bob and word of mouth to get off the ground. And while those factors have never been more powerful than they are today it would have a far greater compounding effect if the trailers hinted at anything at least resembling the political intrigue and issues that take place in the film.

I wrote it off as a god damn "Christmas Movie" what with all the snow and shit.

I guess I'm one of the few the thought Mulan was pretty much just straight up 'meh'. The songs were okay, not great, and the story was so beat-by-beat predictable that my eyes nearly rolled out of my head and across the floor. That said I'll give this one a tumble. Hopefully it'll be more on the level of Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin than Mulan. And just in case I have not generated enough hate, I don't like The Lion King either. Sorry folks, I just like Don Bluth movies better!

Sorry Bob, seeing young-female targeted movies in the movie theater is something I only reserve for the occasional Studio Ghibli releases. Still, you do make me want to go and see it... but being a single adult male and going to the box office and saying "One for Frozen" is just going to be too awkward for me.

It wouldn't be surprising if the marketing campaign for this one was done such on purpose, you gotta get butts in the seats and marketing it as a fun family winter romp with a comedic snowman might be more effective in focus groups than advertising it for what it is.

Didn't even know this movie existed until you showed it during the credits last week, I would be very surprised if it's really as good as you say and I liked tangled, after I watch thor 2 im definitely going to check it out.

Anyone
In the credits the second picture the woman and the man in blue what's that about?

AJey:
So close to Bob's definition of perfect, and yet Miyazaki's new work blows it out of the park. Such a vast chasm between east and west animation.

I wouldn't go that far. There is a TON of bad animation that comes out of the East, it's just that we usually only get to see/hear the best they have to offer (unless you're seriously into anime and look at a ton of it.) I love Miyazaki as much as the next guy and think that Spirited Away is one of the best animated movies of all time, but the West produces animated masterpieces as well.

To be clear, Miyazaki might be the greatest director of animation ever, so using him as the standard of Eastern animation would be sort of like using a Stanley Kubric or Francis Ford Coppola movie or their body of work, to claim that there is a vast chasm between the quality of movies produced in the West vs the East. It just seems like you might be thrusting the very best of the very best forward and suggesting that it is the stock standard for the region. I'm not sure that is a good way to do a comparison is all.

Chaos999:
Anyone
In the credits the second picture the woman and the man in blue what's that about?

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver but I have no idea what its referring to...?

Wait. That big long description was just the first act. Yeesh.

Forgive me here but didn't Disney Animation make Tangled? Was that a bad movie or something? did we just forget about it? I really liked that movie and no one seems to mention it.

Anyway, the ad campaign was really weird on this and i never knew what to make of it. Like "well the little snowman is funny so maybe we should see it? Is it about the snowman? What of the moose?" But I'll give it a shot, my wife wants to see a movie and its either this or catching fire soooo, yeah.

So I guess we have another Tangled on our hands; A movie that due to bad marketing appears to be a shallow, snarky Shrek-ish film, but is actually quite wonderful, well written, and filled with surprisingly good musical numbers. Am I to assume Alan Menkin worked on this movie as well?

It's also odd you should mention the two female leads looking so bland and Barbie, but being brought to live by very skillful animation. Because the same was true for Rapunzel in Tangled. She looked like the biggest Barbie doll, with pink dress and everything, yet her character shines due to fantastic animation and pretty good voice acting.

I'll be looking forward to this one when it comes out on blu-ray.

Crazy Zaul:

Chaos999:
Anyone

Chaos999:
Anyone

I believe it has to do with the fact that they have both finally, officially, one-hundred-percent been confirmed to be in Avengers 2. And that they are, indeed, going to be brother and sister. That's a bit of a big deal because they are part of the X-men universe, and since X-men is owned by a different movie studio, Disney is not allowed to use mutants. Even say the word 'mutant' in the Avengers universe. How they managed to pull this off, I have no idea.
Or it could mean something completely different and I'm totally wrong, but the Avengers 2 is the only thing that these two are relevant in at the moment.

As for the movie, the trailers were driving me nuts because I could NOT figure out who the bad guy was. The snow girl was not acting or appearing like a villain, but they were putting her in the classic villain poses (standing back-to-back with the hero and using her powers, but not looking evil). Guess I know why now. I was going to go see this regardless, as I love cartoon movies. Now I'm really excited about it. And I want to go read that article MovieBob wrote about the ending, but I can't yet...

I was actually pretty psyched for this movie, but then again I never saw the ad campaigns and just read some interesting news stories about it. Sadly it won't actually be available until the 25th of December and then I won't be near any good places to watch it. Oh well, blu-ray it is.

Well Bob, you convince me to give it a watch if I ever get a chance to (I doubt I will be watching it in the cinema so the closest will be when it aired on TV) since I too fall under the impression it's a kiddy films thanks to those ads and trailers.

Wow, thanks for the review -- like you, I had written it off based up the slapstick snowman and moose trailer I had seen but now I'll have to check this out.

Crazy Zaul:

Chaos999:
Anyone

They have both been cast for the Avengers 2.

"Fundamentally a love story between two women" i think we all had the same thoughts there, great cut-away bob XD

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here