Escape to the Movies: Frozen

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Sniper Team 4:

Crazy Zaul:

Chaos999:
Anyone
In the credits the second picture the woman and the man in blue what's that about?

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver but I have no idea what its referring to...?

Chaos999:
Anyone
In the credits the second picture the woman and the man in blue what's that about?

I believe it has to do with the fact that they have both finally, officially, one-hundred-percent been confirmed to be in Avengers 2. And that they are, indeed, going to be brother and sister. That's a bit of a big deal because they are part of the X-men universe, and since X-men is owned by a different movie studio, Disney is not allowed to use mutants. Even say the word 'mutant' in the Avengers universe. How they managed to pull this off, I have no idea.
Or it could mean something completely different and I'm totally wrong, but the Avengers 2 is the only thing that these two are relevant in at the moment.

As for the movie, the trailers were driving me nuts because I could NOT figure out who the bad guy was. The snow girl was not acting or appearing like a villain, but they were putting her in the classic villain poses (standing back-to-back with the hero and using her powers, but not looking evil). Guess I know why now. I was going to go see this regardless, as I love cartoon movies. Now I'm really excited about it. And I want to go read that article MovieBob wrote about the ending, but I can't yet...

I would wager an inside joke along the line of "Where they come from is classified"

Still very exciting news, Bob did an episode on movie rights a couple of years ago and said that because those two were more associated with the Avengers that their movie rights were still in question (at that time). I may look up the episode to see.

EDIT: Here is the video http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5685-Wrongs-Rights

Glad I watched this review, I wasn't even going to give this movie a chance. The commercials forcing Olaf(sp) down my throat with his crappy humor had me expecting the worst.

I can't tell you why the third act is amazing, but it's revolutionary for Disney film making

This isn't a 'It's great because Feminism' type things, is it? Because this is Disney and the internet is getting stirred up, I am assuming that's the case. If I turn out to be right, I will be somewhat disappointed. It's not that I disagree with whatever good message it might be trying to convey, it's just I don't think that neccisairly makes things better or worse at the end of the day. i guess it could be racism too, but I didn't see the opportunity for that in those clips. It's not homophobia either, since Bob already confirmed that's not what this is about.

I loved this movie. Loved it. The theater was pretty sparse for my showing on Thanksgiving day, but the audience was into it and it was a fun showing.

I will confess that all of the Olaf heavy advertisement had me ready to write this one off. The character looked goofy (I still think he does, frankly) and the whole Moose acting kinda like a dog thing didn't seem to be anything new or special either. I mean I did imagine they would be side characters akin to Scrat from the Ice Age movies, but they still seemed invasive enough to make me not want to see the movie.

But...I think I will now. Honestly, after really enjoying that Winnie the Pooh movie and absolutely LOVING Wreck-It-Ralph, I'm starting to feel like Disney Animation is picking up steam again after the large stream of mostly mediocre movies in the 00s (You guys remember Home on the Range? Yeah, unfortunately me too...)

Thank you for this episode Bob. See, with your show I've noticed all episodes kinda fall into a small handful of categories.

Put this one down for "changed my mind to maybe go see it." category.

Gorrath:

AJey:
So close to Bob's definition of perfect, and yet Miyazaki's new work blows it out of the park. Such a vast chasm between east and west animation.

I wouldn't go that far. There is a TON of bad animation that comes out of the East, it's just that we usually only get to see/hear the best they have to offer (unless you're seriously into anime and look at a ton of it.) I love Miyazaki as much as the next guy and think that Spirited Away is one of the best animated movies of all time, but the West produces animated masterpieces as well.

To be clear, Miyazaki might be the greatest director of animation ever, so using him as the standard of Eastern animation would be sort of like using a Stanley Kubric or Francis Ford Coppola movie or their body of work, to claim that there is a vast chasm between the quality of movies produced in the West vs the East. It just seems like you might be thrusting the very best of the very best forward and suggesting that it is the stock standard for the region. I'm not sure that is a good way to do a comparison is all.

Three words: Tales from Earthsea. You ever seen that movie? It's from Japan, and it's TERRIBLE.

OT: I'd only seen one trailer for this, and it looked mighty stupid, but your video and subsequent article have convinced me. I'll probably see it tomorrow, if not sooner!

xPixelatedx:

I can't tell you why the third act is amazing, but it's revolutionary for Disney film making

This isn't a 'It's great because Feminism' type things, is it? Because this is Disney and the internet is getting stirred up, I am assuming that's the case. If I turn out to be right, I will be somewhat disappointed. It's not that I disagree with whatever good message it might be trying to convey, it's just I don't think that neccisairly makes things better or worse at the end of the day. i guess it could be racism too, but I didn't see the opportunity for that in those clips. It's not homophobia either, since Bob already confirmed that's not what this is about.

I read the Intermission, and I won't spoil it, but I will tell you it's not about any of those. It's about an element of Disney movies, and really just 'feel-good' movies in general, that a lot of people think is incredibly dated, but it's not any one of the topics you mentioned.

I have to reply and ask... because I saw it 3 times...

Bob looped a quick shot of a man getting ICE stabbed 3 times... did Disney just... magically killed a man(bad guy?)?

trty00:

Gorrath:

AJey:
So close to Bob's definition of perfect, and yet Miyazaki's new work blows it out of the park. Such a vast chasm between east and west animation.

I wouldn't go that far. There is a TON of bad animation that comes out of the East, it's just that we usually only get to see/hear the best they have to offer (unless you're seriously into anime and look at a ton of it.) I love Miyazaki as much as the next guy and think that Spirited Away is one of the best animated movies of all time, but the West produces animated masterpieces as well.

To be clear, Miyazaki might be the greatest director of animation ever, so using him as the standard of Eastern animation would be sort of like using a Stanley Kubric or Francis Ford Coppola movie or their body of work, to claim that there is a vast chasm between the quality of movies produced in the West vs the East. It just seems like you might be thrusting the very best of the very best forward and suggesting that it is the stock standard for the region. I'm not sure that is a good way to do a comparison is all.

Four words: Tales of Earth-Sea. You ever seen that movie? It's from Japan, and it's TERRIBLE.

OT: I'd only seen one trailer for this, and it looked mighty stupid, but your video and subsequent article have convinced me. I'll probably see it tomorrow, if not sooner!

I can't say that I've seen it, though I did hear it was not good. On the flip side, Avatar: The Last Airbender is, to me, one of the greatest animated series ever produced, in the West or otherwise. That's why I think it is probably not good to judge regions based on these works but simply judge the works themselves. It might be true that the East produces more animated content than the West and so there may be more good examples, but also more bad examples, to point out. Either way, the East and West both produce animated works that are dazzling to behold, and that's why I think it's bad to say there is a "vast chasm" between the East and West in terms of the quality of these works.

skylog:
I'm wondering what Bob thought of Tangled. Cause to me, that felt like a good throwback to the 90's Disney.

Exactly what I was just thinking, especially because Frozen was made by the same guys, seriously, if this particular studio keeps churning out movies of this caliber, then Pixar should better watch it's ass.

OT: Goddamit Bob, now you've made me seriously want to see this film, I thought it was just "yet another generic christmas film", but the only vague christmas-ish theme running is... well, ice and snow. At least I have a Disney film to look forward to since Wreck-It Ralph.

I just read the Intermission article and while full of spoilers it put what few lingering doubts I had about the movie to rest.

Between this, Wreck it Ralph and Paperman I think we may be seeing a new Disney animated renaissance on our hands.

And whoever thought the snowman shorts for this movie would be good advertising for movie of this depth should be dragged out and shot. I almost didn't even watch Moviebob's review, I had written the movie off completely.

Damn it Bob, now I have to see this movie that I dread, the commercials for this thing make my skin crawl and make me want to burn Disney to the ground.

But still the only thing I'm hopeful for is some cool looking ice powers. And maybe the Ice Queen in a hot dress.

Sniper Team 4:

Crazy Zaul:

Chaos999:
Anyone

Chaos999:
Anyone

I believe it has to do with the fact that they have both finally, officially, one-hundred-percent been confirmed to be in Avengers 2. And that they are, indeed, going to be brother and sister. That's a bit of a big deal because they are part of the X-men universe, and since X-men is owned by a different movie studio, Disney is not allowed to use mutants. Even say the word 'mutant' in the Avengers universe. How they managed to pull this off, I have no idea.

Probably a technicality, see Quicksilver and Scarlet which weren't mutants or Magneto's children till it was revealed years later. That grey area allows both studios to use the characters.

Scrumpmonkey:
"Fundamentally a love story between two women" i think we all had the same thoughts there, great cut-away bob XD

I had to pause the video, I was laughing so hard. "No, not like THAT." Heh.

I was prepared to write this one off as just another kid film but now, now I'm going to have to find a way to get to the theatre before this leaves. Thanks for the heads up, Bob.

I wrote this off as 'Tangled On Ice', but now I find myself rather interested in seeing it.

Interesting. I'd like to see this one.

"Fundamentally a love story between two women". Yeah... this was my initial reaction before the record scratch.

-ahem-

Anyway, this actually sounds pretty interesting. I too was put off by the ad campaign for this. But this actually sounds like it is worth a viewing. I'm really glad to see that Disney is starting to move back towards their roots.

xPixelatedx:

well you can read it here

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10778-Lets-Talk-About-the-Ending-of-Frozen?utm_source=features&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

but if your one of those people who tunes out things over one paragraph here's a TLDR for you

If Idina Menzel is in it and she does a power song, I'm fuckin IN. WHY WON'T THE SCREEN TAKE MY MONEY?!

So a Disney fairytale, except this one is good? Has disney finally were able to make a actually good movie? Ill have to see this now.

Despite the shitty trailers, I was already itching to see this one because of Elsa but the fact that it's great will push me over the edge. I'll see this one soon.

Also, props to the Sister My Sister joke; here I thought I was the only one to have seen this movie. C'mon, it's a movie about Molly Weasley tormenting two sisters so badly that they become incestuous and murderous as a result! And it's based on a true story! Who the hell DOESN'T want to see that?!

Jacco:
If Idina Menzel is in it and she does a power song, I'm fuckin IN. WHY WON'T THE SCREEN TAKE MY MONEY?!

You need to get the new Sony Hands-On laptop. It comes equipped with hands to type for you and it's got the extra bonus of taking any money you throw at the screen and giving it to Sony, who will donate a certain percentage to help fund your goal (zero is a percentage!).

Sniper Team 4:

Crazy Zaul:

Chaos999:
Anyone

Chaos999:
Anyone

Or it could mean something completely different and I'm totally wrong, but the Avengers 2 is the only thing that these two are relevant in at the moment.

If I understand the situation correctly they were both established Avenger's character before the deal signed with Fox, so they have been grandfathered into being property of both franchises. Even with those two being part of the Avengers any other mention of the X-Men universe can't happen so its going to be interesting to see how that incorporate it.

I am interested in Frozen after watching some of the international trailers, but with my schedule I doubt I will see it in theaters.

[quote="snip- I just like Don Bluth movies better![/quote]

Oh, god, you can't be serious.
I agree that Secret of nimh is a masterpiece, Anastasia was pretty good and Titan ae is way below underrated, but the rest of it? As soon as Bluth starts animating animals, I tune out. Because at its best it's just silly, and embarrassing at its worst.
And the music. I love Barry Manilow, but I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive him for 'Mary the mole'. But Thumbelina was just a Little mermaid rip off anyway.
But his animation is great. That's one point I have to give him credit for. Even though most is Rotoscoped, his animation is incredible.

Wow, this turned in quite the rant... Sorry.

Well crap, I want to see this now.
The problem being the weird looks and scorn I'm going to get are still haunting me from when I went and watched Tangled.
Being an 18 year old guy with no girlfriend and loving these movies takes its toll sometime.

he said something about singing. does it mean that there are many songs in it? i hate musicals. in tangled it was just at the border. was really close to throw the dvd out. thats how much i hate singing in movies.
so can someone tell me how much singing is in it?

>It's jarring how Gaston's evil plan changes on a dime at the start of the 3rd act

>It's clumsy how we get introduced to the Castle from the POV of Belle's father... and then we get ANOTHER introduction to the Castle from the POV of Belle herself

>It's ridiculous how the servants of the Castle never showed any concern for the prospect of being house appliances forever; they only ever showed worry about the Beast, and didn't even bring it up. I thought they were inanimate objects brought to life, not the other way around

>In the opening song, Belle suddenly goes into "there must be something more" in a really weird way. There wasn't anything in the number that lead up to that theme

>The Clock and the Candle guys just seem like they split Sebastian into two, weaker characters

We haven't had a perfect Disney movie since ever

I am surprised that a Disney film made it into Bob's top 10 list. Wow. Still going to 'pick it up' when the Bluray gets released. But it's nice to see something remotely 90's-ish getting praise and good reviews without it being ironic. However, I wonder what would happen if they went into full retro mode and actually make it look like a classic drawn 2D animation instead of the 3D rendered (but still wonderful) looking eye poking feast we have on our hands now.

Probably a box office killer because people still long for something out of the 90's.

Glad to see you liked it too Bob.

The movie was just damn fun. And I also really how it throws out conventional tropes that often appear in these kinds of movies.

Olaf was pretty fun too.

Living Contradiction:

Scrumpmonkey:
"Fundamentally a love story between two women" i think we all had the same thoughts there, great cut-away bob XD

I had to pause the video, I was laughing so hard. "No, not like THAT." Heh.

I was prepared to write this one off as just another kid film but now, now I'm going to have to find a way to get to the theatre before this leaves. Thanks for the heads up, Bob.

The promotion for this movie was TERRIBLE. It made it look like a middling, modern, no effort Disney formula movie. The dumb looking snowman seemed to be the focus of the promotion and made the film look like it revolved around that fucking truck from 'Cars' crossed with Jar Jar binks and princesses doing princessy stuff in the background.

Why not promote the actual film they were showing? Its baffling. The negative hype for this one seems to have directly some affected early reviews.

As something of a raving animation fanboy, most Disney movies are required viewing, but I'm really very happy that this is good. But is it just me or have a lot of critics forgotten both Tangled and The Princess and the Frog? Those were both extremely solid, with gorgeous artwork overall.

On another more movie criticism note, I've been watching a few of the other canonified Disney classics recently and started reading Tim Brayton at Antagony & Ecstasy again. He's blogged reviews of the entire Disney canon and they're absolutely fantastic: extremely informative, thought-provoking and occasionally laced with wit. They are really long though. But if anyone's interested in reading further into Disney animation, here you go:

http://movieglut.blogspot.com/2010/01/disney-animation.html

Gorrath:

AJey:

You are right, my comparison is limited and flawed, but I do indeed compare the best of the best. I realize that Miyazaki is not a standard even for Japan. Just like US with movies, Japan produces many animes (full-feature and episodic), and most of them are sub-par at best. So the reason I take Miyazaki is because he is an epitome of quality in that niche genre. Just like Kubric or Coppola for movies. And in my opinion these people set standards that we should aspire to.

Okay, Bob's made me seriously want to do see this. It sounds like a fantastic setup for a movie - the ad made me think 'maybe on DVD...' but it just sounds really good. Plus, I do like the character design for Elsa: I'm a sucker for any ice-type look.

Smilomaniac:
Loose adaptation..? Considering that it sounds nothing like the story that H.C. Andersen wrote, it sort of comes off as "nothing alike, apart from there being a snow queen in it".

Forgive me if I sound snobbish about this, but The Snow Queen is the first story I ever read as a kid, that really spoke to me of a sense of wonder and amazing imagination.
One of the interesting parts of this story, is that almost all the characters are women or girls, with the exception of Kaj, the Prince and the Devil, who all serve minor roles.

I don't know if I want to see it at all. It sounds like a nice spin-off, but at the same time I'm sad that the story has become so distorted. The Little Mermaid I can understand that the story was changed in a drastic way, since it's a very sad story, but Frozen sounds like it's butchered the story.

I completely agree. The Snow Queen was my favorite fairy tale, bar none, when I was growing up. At first, I was highly excited to see this. Then I learned about most of the women in the story being cut out (apparently because animating women in a diverse manner is "hard"), as well as the animation style looking to be a bit too similar to Tangled for my tastes, and my interest pretty much went down the tubes. That said, it looks like it may be a decent film in its own right, and I may very well rent it or something when it comes out.

I might have to go see this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or