Zero Punctuation: Ryse: Son of Rome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Remind me why this worthless excuse of a console sold when this dreck is it's killer ap?

Falterfire:
Was it so necessary that they arbitrarily invent a new war for Rome to fight? Were there not enough REAL ones?

Boudica -> Boobs
Hanibal -> No boobs

I love that a Ryse commercial played in the post-roll.

I have nothing to say about Ryse. However i do want to ask because it happened during this video; Has anyone else noticed a very sharp rise in XBox 360 advertising? Ryse and that NFL thing that i can do on my PC and smart TV (and cable box if i felt like giving DirecTV an extra $50 a month) are the only tings i see getting pushed for the XBox One (do we use the number or the word? god that's confusing). But after this very video I got an ad telling me how great and affordable the XBox 360 is. It's just strange is all.

I love history and I especially love Roman history so the story of this game is a bit of a disappointment. Throughout all the cynicism about this game I believed that Ryse would be a step in the right direction in at least one aspect. Its the first AAA/reasonably hyped game about the Romans that isn't an RTS. The Roman empire is the perfect setting for a historical game but up till now it has seen little attention, Ryse would give the era that much needed attention so that was enough for me to look past the quick time garbage.

And then they screwed it up with a story that's complete nonsense.

I'm fine with settings not being historical accurate, I really am. If an exaggerated or blatantly fictionalised version of History makes for a better story I'd even say I'm all in for that. Its only when moving away from history makes something worse that I see the missed potential and get very annoyed and that is clearly the case here.

Your handling ancient ROME! You don't need one of the least threatening barbarians the Romans have ever faced to sack Rome when you got Hannibal marching across the Alps with Elephants to slaughter the Romans again and again or when you have Caesar conquering Gaul and the entire roman empire, and countless other events throughout Roman history. And yet they chose the Brits to sack Rome? That's quite a waste.

Even if they had to use barbarians as the enemies they could at least have used ones that mattered and where an actual threat. Why not use the Vandals or the Goth's or the most dangerous of all, the Hun's

I want to play a game about Roman soldiers fighting shark people on the planet outlandish. That sounds at least 5-10x better than this piece of drivel. While we're at it, lets make them Shark Nazis. because goddamn, could there be anything more evil or horrifying than an alien shark nazi?

Steve the Pocket:

MonkeyPunch:
I also remember reading that Crytek were thinking of taking out the QTEs... yet they didn't. They just replaced the button prompts with colour prompts. tsk tsk

From what I've heard, the game was originally nothing but QTEs, and when people complained, they reduced it to just the finishing moves.

That's my point though. They are still QTEs just that instead of button icons they make the character flash the colour of the button you're meant to press instead. I don't think the mechanics were changed at all, or much from the early showings. They just took out the button prompt icons so that it looks less QTE-ish but in essence it's still the same - the mechanics are still there, if you know what I mean.

rcs619:
If they really wanted an 'epic' war story, why not set it during the Punic wars? Carthage was actually one of the few real military threats Rome ever faced. And the bulk of the Carthaginian military was made of mercenaries from all over Africa and the Mediterranean, which gives you quite a large variety of enemy types to choose from for your badguys. Also, Carthage actually had, and used, war elephants. Since any game about Rome has to have them.

And they could've had Cato the Elder saying "Carthago delenda est" every five minutes. Talk about saving on voice acting!

Piecewise:
A launch title is shit? WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING!?

Honestly I don't know why anyone even buys a console until at least a year after it's come out. It's expensive and it has basically no games. Wait till it gets cheaper and has shit worth playing.

Do you know many publishers who'll produce "shit worth playing" for a console that nobody's been buying for a year?

Is it just me or have video games seem to have lost their way?

So, in other words, the verdict is: business as usual? Move along, there's nothing to see here?

Fine, will do.

The Rogue Wolf:

rcs619:
If they really wanted an 'epic' war story, why not set it during the Punic wars? Carthage was actually one of the few real military threats Rome ever faced. And the bulk of the Carthaginian military was made of mercenaries from all over Africa and the Mediterranean, which gives you quite a large variety of enemy types to choose from for your badguys. Also, Carthage actually had, and used, war elephants. Since any game about Rome has to have them.

And they could've had Cato the Elder saying "Carthago delenda est" every five minutes. Talk about saving on voice acting!

That... that would have been the greatest thing ever!

Or, in the spirit of things:

Si illud fecissent, id maximum fuisset! (my Latin composition is not particularly elegant, but I believe that that was grammatically sound).

"Tu Fui
Ego Eris"

That was more than a little eerie to me, as I've been playing Virtue's Last Reward this week.

DeadCoyote:
Now they can with no shame put on their box this quote:

"10\10"
Zero Punctuation

Whyle we're at it
CoD:Ghosts can slap on their box this as well

"CoD:Ghosts..is..ahead of time."
Zero Punctuation

P.S.Yes, I rewatched the video and slapped this together from actual words occurring in it.

canadamus_prime:
Is it just me or have video games seem to have lost their way?

I imagine most, if not all of us here, feel that way. Well, AAA gaming has lost its way, anyway.

Captcha: not yet

Sorry, captcha, but they're long gone by now.

Wait, something about ancient Rome that ISN'T filled with sodomy!? What bullshit, or lack there of, is this Microsoft!!!

So begins the next generation. This is a bad trend.

And honestly, Boudica with war elephants? *Elephants?*

Did the devs have any idea where those even come from? Not bloody Norfolk I'll tell you that (and the second Punic War was about 250-ish years before besides). And if you look close at the history, the Romans basically screwed her over once her husband died and given what they did I'm inclined to back her side in what followed.

What a mess. Even Dynasty Warriors' loose grasp of the history looks respectable and neatly researched next to this (even if Luo Guanzhong deserves much of the blame for that).

Moloch Sacrifice:
Not surprised in the slightest. Even the E3 trailer was woefully underwhelming; what chance did the rest of the game have?

Depends.

If Crytek actually had some balls, and stuck with the ORIGINAL version of "Ryse", the game that was supposed to be the big thing for the Kinect on 360, people might of given the game some points for at least trying to do more than just mash button for health regen all day long. First person game that reportedly used the Kinect to it's full extent with sword and shield play and all that jazz?

Much better than this game. And I find it laughable at best, and downright sad regularly, when people try to exclaim that this game has "good" or, gods be damned, "great" gameplay. There is an utter lack of diversity in attacks, executions are on a giant random wheel of "don't give a shit", and there isn't any true punishment for the player should they mess up at all. I've seen slaps on the wrists done by limp-wristed individuals punish someone harder than this game.

I mean my god, Peter Molyneux was actually smart enough to avoid a "hit button to win" mistake that he did for Fable 2 with 3, even if it just turned into "mash button to win" instead. At least then it asked the player to do something.

So basically its COD with romans? A glorified tech demo to bring in the new current gen.. ah, what a way to start new tech! To give us the same shit we've seen before with 20-30% better graphics.

Don't stab Brian Blessed. We need him for our banking adverts.

"This video content is brought to you by: Ryse"

Evonisia:

He does suffer from Australian download speeds. In England for example all three games I've downloaded only took 5 minutes to do in general.

At 100mb/s Australian download speeds aren't bad, heck their better than alot of the US. It sounds like the XBO didnt put in a good disc drive as they didn't plan to use it often so got a cheaper slower speed one.

The lack of historical accuracy doesn't really bother me. I would have been cool if the gamehad been set during the punic wars, but I guess they went with barbarians because they thought they would be a cool enemy. It could also be because they felt barbarians represented everything that the roman empire was not. Civilized and advanced.

What bothers me the most is that the game just doesn't seem very fun.

I don't remember any point where this game looked good. Were MS expecting this to be a heavy hitter on launch or something?

I don't know why some people say things like "it's a launch title, of course it's shit" when there have been some excellent launch titles in the past. There are always exceptions to the rule of course, but I think it's bad form to just look at a game and say "well, that's to be expected from a launch title."

Ryse, however, earned it's bad press and misgivings by looking horribly mediocre from the beginning. I can't think of a single person I know that was really 'wowed' by the trailer when it was revealed. So I'm not terribly surprised that the game is pretty much what most people expected it to be.

Most of the respondents here seem to be sick and tired of AAA games but they still garner all the attention, don't they? All of the launch titles for the PS4 (that is, Shadow Fall & Knack) sounded like mouldy arse so I just ignored them. Currently my PS4 has an attach rate of zero but I've got my free game of Resogun and it seems like I'm having more fun with my machine than most (CoD-monkeys excepted, I assume they're happy). Obviously Resogun doesn't justify the console price but it's doing a fine job of tiding me over until the games I want appear.

It's too bad it sucks. I really like ancient Rome as a setting. Roman Legionnaires are regarded as some of the most badass badasses in history, so it saddens me to see a game where they're getting stomped by some roving marauders as opposed to...I'unno, Hannibal.

Idea, in fact. You play a Roman guard in an open-world crime-stopping sandbox game.

Ulquiorra4sama:

Adept Mechanicus:
Can anyone translate the Latin in the credits?

1. In wine there's truth
2. Slander boldly, something always sticks
3. As you are, I was; as I am so you shall also be.

Not sure about the first two, but the last one is a Silent Hill reference so far as I remember.

The first is a Doc Holliday quote I think, the second is by Francis Bacon, the third I believe has to do with death being inevitable (which would make sense for Silent Hill)

C.S.Strowbridge:
I also hear there are microtransactions, but I think those are only in the multiplayer.

People seem to forget their in single player as well, to get level up upgrades early.

RicoADF:

Evonisia:

He does suffer from Australian download speeds. In England for example all three games I've downloaded only took 5 minutes to do in general.

At 100mb/s Australian download speeds aren't bad, heck their better than alot of the US. It sounds like the XBO didnt put in a good disc drive as they didn't plan to use it often so got a cheaper slower speed one.

Unless your in Sydney, 100mb/s is literally impossible in Australia. Or you live on top of a tower or you were in one of the lucky people who got the NBN testing fibre which gave you as a actual possible max of 100mb/s.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Unless your in Sydney, 100mb/s is literally impossible in Australia. Or you live on top of a tower or you were in one of the lucky people who got the NBN testing fibre which gave you as a actual possible max of 100mb/s.

I'm in Sydney, however most of the main cities have high speed net, just not in every area. No different than other countries, it's not in every house. Still NBN will fix this if Abbott doesn't screw the population over.

But Yahtzee, the environments are pretty! 10/10 LOL

The beginning of the video is pretty much what Jim Sterling has been on about. Consoles now are just shit PCs. Sure there are exclusives but besides that, all the plus points go to the PC.

So, QTEs are just "Press X if you want to" now? Not even "Press X to not die"? You can't fail in this game?

EyeReaper:
I want to play a game about Roman soldiers fighting shark people on the planet outlandish. That sounds at least 5-10x better than this piece of drivel. While we're at it, lets make them Shark Nazis. because goddamn, could there be anything more evil or horrifying than an alien shark nazi?

Oh my god! Prof. Farnsworth's experiments with Hitler's Brain were a success!

Rangerboy87:

Ulquiorra4sama:

Adept Mechanicus:
Can anyone translate the Latin in the credits?

1. In wine there's truth
2. Slander boldly, something always sticks
3. As you are, I was; as I am so you shall also be.

Not sure about the first two, but the last one is a Silent Hill reference so far as I remember.

The first is a Doc Holliday quote I think, the second is by Francis Bacon, the third I believe has to do with death being inevitable (which would make sense for Silent Hill)

That first one's posted in a lot of wine-tasting rooms in California Wine country.

Evonisia:

He's copying from the disc though, isn't he? Not downloading?

I think my biggest thing with this game is that when you get damaged your screen flashes white. it just makes it all a distraction it seems.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here