Zero Punctuation: Ryse: Son of Rome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

If they wanted someone to fight, they could always have gone with usurpers in various locales. They'd ship you out to Bulgaria to take on Regalianus, who has declared himself Emperor. Then you'd kill him and bring back his head, only to find out that Ingenuus is kicking up trouble in Croatia and Postumus is doing the same in France with both of them declaring themselves Emperors. So you'd go kill them and bring back their heads, only to find out that now there's four guys playing Emperor all the same time in Eastern Mediterranean....

Well, okay, maybe that'd get kind of repetitive, but the Romans had succession crises and usurpations like crazy.

SonOfVoorhees:
This is gaming i expect from a few gens ago, not on next gen. No real excuse for it.

People see the awesome graphics and assume the developer put the same effort into the rest of the game. This being in spite of the number of games we've already seen with breathtaking graphics and mediocre gameplay.

The excuse is that these types of games sell despite numerous releases in the past that have awesome graphics and mediocre gameplay. This will continue until people stop supporting this type of development, until that day you can be sure we'll be seeing more games like this.

RicoADF:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Unless your in Sydney, 100mb/s is literally impossible in Australia. Or you live on top of a tower or you were in one of the lucky people who got the NBN testing fibre which gave you as a actual possible max of 100mb/s.

I'm in Sydney, however most of the main cities have high speed net, just not in every area. No different than other countries, it's not in every house. Still NBN will fix this if Abbott doesn't screw the population over.

No, ONLY Sydney has that fast internet in Australia. Every other major city (except the Gold Coast :( ) has faster then most of the other cities, but no where near 100mb/s.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

No, ONLY Sydney has that fast internet in Australia. Every other major city (except the Gold Coast :( ) has faster then most of the other cities, but no where near 100mb/s.

Fair enough, I've only ever lived in Sydney, though I do recall hearing Canberra got the NBN first for obvious reasons. Either way my point about Abbott being a twit stands.

I have enjoyed the game myself.

Then again I have decided to play it in one hour chunks.
It's not terrible I can say, it's decent for that it is.

rcs619:
I haven't really been keeping up with this game, but... really? Barbarians? They make a game about the Roman Empire, one of the largest, most militarily powerful nations in the ancient world, and the only people they can think up for enemies are Barbarians? Granted, there were some big fights with Barbarians, but in general they were never a real threat to Rome until the very end when it been substantially weakened. Did they just not read the parts about how absolutely crushing the Roman legions were for much of Rome's history?

If they really wanted an 'epic' war story, why not set it during the Punic wars? Carthage was actually one of the few real military threats Rome ever faced. And the bulk of the Carthaginian military was made of mercenaries from all over Africa and the Mediterranean, which gives you quite a large variety of enemy types to choose from for your badguys. Also, Carthage actually had, and used, war elephants. Since any game about Rome has to have them.

The so called barbarians beat the Romans many times throughout its history heck in the early years Rome was sacked by Gaulish tribes. Therefore I wouldn't suggest that the Barbarians were not a threat to the Romans, the only reason Caesar was allowed to conquer Gaul was because Rome feared Barbarian tribes might move into Italy. You may want to look at battles like Teutoburg Forest that show that the legions were far from invincible.

That said i do agree that had the story revolved around the Punic wars it would have been far more engaging, why make up false history when the real think is much better. Although i doubt how well the elephants would have been implemented into a hack and slash game.

I guess we can change the slogan for this game to:
"Veni, Vidi, Faeces!"

VERBATIM AD NAUSEUM INFINITUM

So, what yahtzee is saying is that Ryse was the first case of truth in advertising in a long time, because the trailer made the game look just as lame.

You not only have the bad side of PC with the whole installing-faffing-about but you are robbed of the good side of PC with awesome user generated mods/levels/skins etc. Oh, and what little you WILL see of those nice things will get you microtransactioned for things that are free on PC because Microsoft hates you and has all the shame of a back alley mugger.

I never got the graphics in this game, apparently they are impressive, but from what ive seen it all looks rather awful. A whole lot of boring grey and brown with gritty and ugly character models with strange faces. It just looks very unappealing in every thinkable way and the gameplay looks rather awful and boring.

But what can you expect from a game that started its life as a kinect exclusive?

MonkeyPunch:

Steve the Pocket:

MonkeyPunch:
I also remember reading that Crytek were thinking of taking out the QTEs... yet they didn't. They just replaced the button prompts with colour prompts. tsk tsk

From what I've heard, the game was originally nothing but QTEs, and when people complained, they reduced it to just the finishing moves.

That's my point though. They are still QTEs just that instead of button icons they make the character flash the colour of the button you're meant to press instead. I don't think the mechanics were changed at all, or much from the early showings. They just took out the button prompt icons so that it looks less QTE-ish but in essence it's still the same - the mechanics are still there, if you know what I mean.

No, I mean the core combat, which is currently hack-and-slash meets Arkham Asylum with Call of Duty style setpieces thrown in, weren't originally there at all; that was all QTEs as well, somehow. Again, just going by what I've heard, and I have no idea how that would have worked if it was originally envisioned as a showcase for Kinect's features, so I could be way off.

so basically instead of playing it for yourselves, the bulk of you opt to line up and join whatever the other guy is saying? lol sounds about right for this generation of gamers.

the game isn't close to being the worst launch game out there nor is the combat. unless you think Assassin's Creed 4 and a variety of other games all have repetitive gameplay that takes away from the experience because guess what .. nearly ALL games run you through the same function repeatedly.

how about this concept .. try the game and see if you agree with what this guy is saying. i've read hundreds of favorable opinions to contrast the uninformed rants people throw at this game.

it's not the greatest .. but it's not the worst either. it's a very good launch game .. one that you won't find many that look as good as .. the gameplay won't be for everyone but it's not unlike many others in its genre.

like i said, try it before you decide to bandwagon and have someone form your opinion for you.

DeadCoyote:
Now they can with no shame put on their box this quote:

"10\10"
Zero Punctuation

Hah! True :P

Oh man, Mr. Croshaw....I really pity you for your job sometimes. The reason your videos are so hilarious is because I picture you suffering through this garbage, just to make a video for us. Thanks ^^

This just makes me want to play Asura's Wrath again, to be honest.

Reddington:

SonOfVoorhees:
This is gaming i expect from a few gens ago, not on next gen. No real excuse for it.

People see the awesome graphics and assume the developer put the same effort into the rest of the game. This being in spite of the number of games we've already seen with breathtaking graphics and mediocre gameplay.

The excuse is that these types of games sell despite numerous releases in the past that have awesome graphics and mediocre gameplay. This will continue until people stop supporting this type of development, until that day you can be sure we'll be seeing more games like this.

Actually...well, you better just adapt, cuz this is and will be the current trend for any game with "action" in the title. Talking about an action game of any sorts in this day and age having any type of decent plot/storyline is tantamount to talking about a normal person who lost the bronze in the special olympics because he saw a shiny nickel.

The only genre's that are pretty much guaranteed to have some semblance of a story, whether or not it is palatable, are sci-fi, adventure, and rpg's. And those genre's have been slowly shrinking, or are being blended into the action category, for nearly a decade. So either go into, or start, an indy game group, or just chalk it up to an emerging fact of life and go get your good stories from a book(s).

deacon:
so basically instead of playing it for yourselves, the bulk of you opt to line up and join whatever the other guy is saying? lol sounds about right for this generation of gamers.

the game isn't close to being the worst launch game out there nor is the combat. unless you think Assassin's Creed 4 and a variety of other games all have repetitive gameplay that takes away from the experience because guess what .. nearly ALL games run you through the same function repeatedly.

how about this concept .. try the game and see if you agree with what this guy is saying. i've read hundreds of favorable opinions to contrast the uninformed rants people throw at this game.

it's not the greatest .. but it's not the worst either. it's a very good launch game .. one that you won't find many that look as good as .. the gameplay won't be for everyone but it's not unlike many others in its genre.

like i said, try it before you decide to bandwagon and have someone form your opinion for you.

"Try the game and see if you agree"? By that logic, every time I open up a Game Informer I should go out and buy every game they review and try it for my own opinion...or how about this: Go fuck yourself. I'm glad your daddy and mommy have the money to buy you whatever your little pre-pubescent heart desires, but for the majority of us that is not option as we work for a living, and have bills to pay.

Game reviewers exist, and receive a paycheck (or most of them do), for a reason. Their opinions, and yes we know it is an opinion, help us gamers to decide whether or not a game sparks our varied interests (and/or looks like fun) before we go out and spend our hard earned money on it. Granted, a lot of game companies probably do not care for this as it allows us to exercise a little thing called purchasing power, but hey! A free market is dandy ain't it?

So continuing on your path of genius, game reviewers shouldn't exist. Riiiight...First off, this is Yahtzee we're talking about. He is a cynic, sarcastic bastard, and that's why we love him. But you have to take 90% of his reviews with a grain of salt. If you go through all his reviews, you can probably count the number of games he has given a thumbs up to on one hand. I know for damn sure you won't be needing to take off your shoes to count your toes. However some of the games he has stomped into a prostitute's crabby cavern I have personally enjoyed, both the story as well as the game mechanics.
Yahtzee is funny, and he does speak some truths that a lot of us have realized or are beginning to, but there are multiple reviews for the same game out there so go read something. I know that's a shocking revelation for you, even though most of us learned that fact, and nearly everything mentioned in this wall of text, by the time we were ten-frikkin'-years-old.

Yahtzee...funny, as usual. Although, as the barbarians were also burly white men, at least in Central and Western Europe, and had hounded the Roman Empire multiple times and even sacked the city of Rome on occasion, I don't think they had logistics issues. Think of it like this, a crossbow bolt...that is a inch thick wooden dowel with a metal point...could pierce roman (and even some medieval) plate armor. Who knew a stick can be such a wonderful tool, right?

randomthefox:
Whenever I see footage of Ryse, it just makes me wanna play Rome Total War.

And whenever I play Rome Total War, it makes me yern for a character action game about a Roman Legionnaire.

Then at some point I just end up playing Fallout New Vegas.

Isn't it sad that the closest thing you can get to fighting as a roman legionary is in a futuristic postapocalyptic wasteland set in an alternative history of the US. They don't even wear armor for crying outloud! They run into fights wearing football pads!

I was really hoping this'd be a good game based off Roman history, but they just had to fuck it up for what? To dumb it down with action? Real roman history had plenty of action! Why not just make a game playing various Romans through each of those battles? Keep the elephants to the Punic wars, keep Boudicca in Britain, and keep the ambush in the Teutoburg to the Germanics! Don't just smash all that into a giant 'bad guy' army and have it attack Rome.

It literally is like Call of Duty Ghosts, but replace 'The U.S' with 'Rome'.

If the wanted to do historical fiction, they could have followed the stories in 'The History of the Kings of Britain', but from a Roman perspective. This book has the story of Belinus and Brennius, 2 British princes who sacked Rome, leaving Brennius to rule Rome.

It also has the invasion of Roman territory by King Arthur. This came about after Emperor Claudius sent an envoy to Arthur to demand the traditional tribute owed to Rome, to which Arthur replied piss off. The Romans then tried to invade, but were repulsed and Arthur took the fight to them. The only reason Arthur failed to get to Rome was because of Mordred's rebellion. They could have changed the source material so that Arthur besieges Rome and is turned back by a valiant defense by Marius and his troops.....

Or maybe they did base if off of Monmouth's work, but it was some half remembered high school essay and nobody bothered to get the book and check.......

Fantastic video review Yahtzee thank you! I guess most first gen games on the new next gen consoles are pretty rough bleh.

daxterx2005:
This really got a 10/10?
No games should ever get a 10/10, no game is ever perfect....

Do you suggest we get rid of 0/10 scales and only have a 0/9 scale? If no game is a 10/10 (which doesn't strictly imply perfection) Then why bother having 10 on the scale?

OT: Late to the vid, but I see a big problem with most next gen games is that they feel, look and play like tech demo's, meant to show off how cool the system is without giving us anything spectacular.

I am optimistic to see how great games can be on next gen, but the launch titles aren't exactly winning anyone over.

DeadCoyote:
Now they can with no shame put on their box this quote:

"10\10"
Zero Punctuation

I get the feeling game companies do that a lot more than we catch them at it. Like you'll see "...a great game" - PC Gamer and the actual quote was "One way you could describe half life 2 is: a great game. CoD: Ghosts, on the other hand..."

TizzytheTormentor:

daxterx2005:
This really got a 10/10?
No games should ever get a 10/10, no game is ever perfect....

Do you suggest we get rid of 0/10 scales and only have a 0/9 scale? If no game is a 10/10 (which doesn't strictly imply perfection) Then why bother having 10 on the scale?

OT: Late to the vid, but I see a big problem with most next gen games is that they feel, look and play like tech demo's, meant to show off how cool the system is without giving us anything spectacular.

I am optimistic to see how great games can be on next gen, but the launch titles aren't exactly winning anyone over.

The problem with getting rid of an unreachable upper limit so that some games can have the maximum rating is that it starts to lose its specialness. You start oversaturating the review boards with games with inflated scores. It's why they reworked the ratings system in madden a few years back- too many players were just showing up as 99's because they set the bar for the maximum available value too low. It did make custom characters hilariously overpowered, though, which always cracked me up.

Scores are shit anyway, people should try reading instead of having all things summed up in a few numbers.

Is there a "bad" ending where Boudicaa conquers Rome, crucifies Marius and feeds Nero to the lions? Because I'm rather tickled by the idea of the Historical "Villain" Upgrade being applied to ancient Britain... *waves Union Jack, sips tea*

And my dream came true, a bunch of Jason Stathems in gladiator armor

The impression I'm getting from these comments is that if you want epic battles involving Romans that are at least vaguely historically accurate, go play Rome: Total War again.

Outside of the amusing but rather unfair world of Yahtzee, I thought the fighting in this games was rather impressive and fun.

I broke down at "Throwing pilums at pillocks."

For me it was worse than Yahtzee said, as the graphics/physics were lame for the new consoles as well. Oh, and Zero (pun intended) replayability - unless you down three dirty martinis made with antifreeze - which makes you slightly brain damaged before (for drinking antifreeze), and leaves you very brain damaged after (and blind in your left eye).

does anyone else think the resolve button sounds like a scary thought even though it probably wont happen? honestly I wouldn't mind if there was a game with 100% player involvement with nothing done for you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here