Escapist News Now: Elder Scrolls Online Progression

Elder Scrolls Online Progression

Check out how you can build up your character in Elder Scrolls Online.

Watch Video

This game is going to fail IMO....Elder Scrolls is all about single player experience, and they are going to try to expand that into the multiplayer experience and fail. Just like what they did with Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (The best games on the Xbox IMO). Then there will be huge issues with balance. Elder Scrolls has always been about sculpting your own character to your own specifications, and it seems to me that you lose one of the most quintessential parts of the Elder Scrolls experience in order to be able to balance the game properly, or you let players customize their character, and it becomes about min/maxing, making 99% of builds worthless.

I have played the beta. I give it a meh. Better than wow, but its lacks the feel of a true elder scrolls game. It does not play like skyrim. If your a caster all your spells are over time. You do direct damage with a staff. If you want to be a healer they have a special healing staff, which is the only way as of now to do direct healing that is not a over time spell.

Skill tree really limit what you can do, and using multiple weapons are not viable. If you duel spec into 2 different weapon types you will be hurting your character. You pick a weapon type and you stick with it. So the classic bow + melee = not an option.

On the bright side if you try to ignore the fact its not a real elder scrolls game in mechanics its not half bad. As a mmo the combat is a lot more fun then most. All the npc's are voiced.

Over all id say its has potential.

If you are a fan of mmo's the elder scrolls online is most certainly worth checking out. If your a fan of elder scrolls games and not huge into mmo's, your mileage may vary.

tofulove:

If you are a fan of mmo's the elder scrolls online is most certainly worth checking out. If your a fan of elder scrolls games and not huge into mmo's, your mileage may vary.

And that's why I'm passing this one by. I don't care how good an MMO it is; if it doesn't feel like I'm playing a TES game, I have no interest in it. It would be like Bioware making an MMO Baldur's Gate game that played like Bomberman.

Scars Unseen:

tofulove:

And that's why I'm passing this one by. I don't care how good an MMO it is; if it doesn't feel like I'm playing a TES game, I have no interest in it. It would be like Bioware making an MMO Baldur's Gate game that played like Bomberman.

Gonna agree with this. I played the beta and it felt nothing like Elder Scrolls other than the name attached to it. Even the music on the login page was pretty stock and cheap sounding compared to the stuff Soule gave us for Oblivion and Skyrim.

I'm not sure what the point of this video is. She's basically just advertising the game, or giving us a cliff notes of something that's more or less already a cliff notes.

It would be nice if these news segments did something other than watch something already available to everyone and then just blandly explain it to us. How about some insights we can't already figure out on our own?

itsthesheppy:
I'm not sure what the point of this video is. She's basically just advertising the game, or giving us a cliff notes of something that's more or less already a cliff notes.

It would be nice if these news segments did something other than watch something already available to everyone and then just blandly explain it to us. How about some insights we can't already figure out on our own?

That's a fair criticism, but I wouldn't call it advertising the game. It was a new piece of content showcasing some new game play which I thought people would want to see. I try to be as objective as I can when reporting news and leave the punditry to the likes of my colleagues Yahtzee, Jim, and others. But if enough people like yourself say they prefer opinions, I'll sprinkle some in ;)

andrearene:

itsthesheppy:

That's a fair criticism, but I wouldn't call it advertising the game. It was a new piece of content showcasing some new game play which I thought people would want to see. I try to be as objective as I can when reporting news and leave the punditry to the likes of my colleagues Yahtzee, Jim, and others. But if enough people like yourself say they prefer opinions, I'll sprinkle some in ;)

Well, opinions are great, but you're right, there are other opinion shows that focus on them. I think what would be more segment-worthy would be industry insights or insider news, breaking stuff that I the lay-gamer can't find on my own because I don't come with media credentials.

I think, for example, that if you were breaking new info on the ES:O progression system that hasn't already been released, that would be interesting to watch. I dunno... I'm not a journalist and I wish I had more ideas, I was just watching the video thinking, 'This is like reading the back of the box or an Amazon.com product summary.'

Thanks for posting, in any case.

What I hate about the trend in the ES series, and RPGs in general, is that once they get to a certain point with developing the game, all they do to "improve" the next in the series, is tack on more bullshit "features" like vampirism and lycanthropy, and more colorful explody spells, and more complex leveling trees, and more powerful armor and weapons, and higher level caps, and all this shit that keeps you in the fucking inventory menu. I wish they would put all that creative energy into developing a more smooth, immersive gaming experience with better control design, more fluid movement across irregular terrain, more convincing and gameplay-relevant physics, and a more strategic, nuanced combat system. This game looks like it's just trying to one-up WOW, and it makes me not want it, and scared that they'll do the same with the next single player ES.

I think... it could be fun for a romp around. I've almost never hit level cap in an MMO. But I've played the hell out of a great many low-to-mid areas. They all kinda... blur after a while. I don't care about class, or powers... as long as there's something in there that lets me get the job done.

I want:

To feel like my actions matter. I haaaaate that most MMOs, you kill the baddie, you blow up the enemy base, you exorcise the haunted gazebo, you put out the fire in the dragon's wooden leg... and you don't even have time to turn around before it's back to normal.

Crafting that matters. Seriously. Most of the time, you gather items to take to a bench to press them into an item that isn't as good as you could have gotten through random fortune slaughtering bunnies. Or as a bonus for loitering in the random dungeon queue. Or... through gathering tokens and taking them to a special vendor who... presses them into endgame items. I don't want to acquire 50,000 mystic pesos and buy epic. I want to stab a mean dragon in the face, break off a horn, and whittle it into something I would be proud to use. Or McGyver something handy like I'm playing a tabletop game and think up something clever.

I want to be effective. Not just to win. I want to feel good about how I do it. I want some choices that don't feel utterly ridiculous or without real consequence... like SWTOR did. Great cutscenes, but the plot was going to keep moving pretty much the same way, regardless. And the plot would send you a pen-pal note.

And while I'm wishing, I'd like very much to not have equipment levels. Swords cut things. Some are easier to use. Some are more durable. Some require different fighting styles. But they do not, under any circumstances, do 50 times the damage of a "somewhat rusty" one you picked off a dead body in the intro. Your arm should get stronger... and you should find *slightly* better weapons. The main thing this BS does is mean that at some points in the game, you'll have gone a while without finding an upgrade for the weapon you actually use... and then you'll get a decent one and realize that things didn't get easier... you caught back up to the game's expected progression. It'd been getting harder and harder on you, because you weren't lucky enough to get an upgraded lacrosse stick... and you can't buy them in stores (or if you can, they're really really bad).

Anyway, hoping this one does more right than wrong.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here