Escapist News Now: No Man's Sky - Sci-Fi Exploration

No Man's Sky - Sci-Fi Exploration

Boldly go into a procedurally generated universe.

Watch Video

I'm excited, but curious whether or not they'll be able to live up to their claims.

And people bitched about the SimCity launch? This one is destined for even more failure. It's not like they can store a nearly infinite, scale-able, common universe client-side, so this is going to be very server-heavy. I highly doubt they have the infrastructure to make it work, especially if the buzz turns into actual high game sales.

Avaholic03:
And people bitched about the SimCity launch? This one is destined for even more failure. It's not like they can store a nearly infinite, scale-able, common universe client-side, so this is going to be very server-heavy. I highly doubt they have the infrastructure to make it work, especially if the buzz turns into actual high game sales.

Yes clearly minecraft had terrible issues about that.
Its all a matter of how they focus their efforts and how the structure the game.
But don't go expecting a AAA game... it obviously isn't.

Delcast:

Avaholic03:

Its all a matter of how they focus their efforts and how the structure the game.

It obviously isn't a AAA game, but boy does it look and sound fun. That said, it's always best to ignore the hype and wait until you've tried a game before judging it.

Al

hmm, i think i saw at least two copyright infringements.

A big worm in desert( a sandworm maybe).
And some schips that lookt a bit like a star destroyer, and you ship lookt a bit like a x-wing.

Its being made by 4 people. A concept on this scale....yet we have terrible triple AAA companies trying to justify the man power and the like needed for their "concept"

I will be the first to buy this game once released purely to support the indies and get rid of this greedy industry.

Definitely looking forward to it! It might be shit btw, but I'm a real sucker for space exploration and there hasn't really been any worthy one in like forever. You have the X games series, but those are more about trade simulation than focusing on exploring.

Jeroenr:

And some schips that lookt a bit like a star destroyer, and you ship lookt a bit like a x-wing.

It's not because your stuff looks or even behaves like other copyrighted materials that an infringement is happening.

As long as you manage to put your own creative twist in, you should be fine.

There are about a billion games out there that use Dune's sandworm concept...

Jeroenr:

And some schips that lookt a bit like a star destroyer, and you ship look a bit like a x-wing.

You would probably need to call the planet the sandworm is living on Arrikas and give a heavily herb-based economy before you started talking copyright infringement.

That aside, this looks really cool. If it ended up working it would combine a lot of stuff I would like to see in a game. I'd say the spaceflight/combat looks somewhat Freelancer-ish (though I tend to think that about most space combat game footage I see, seeing that I liked Freelancer so much) and the planetary exploration could fill the gap left by planet exploration in Mass Effect (while being more involved ideally). Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Delcast:

Avaholic03:

Minecraft only has to deal with one scale. You only have a relatively small number of "chunks" loaded at a time. This game is advertising almost infinite and seamless scale-ability, from small details to galaxy-sized space. I'll be very curious how they scale that loading. Even Minecraft gets pretty laggy if you have lots of players on a server, loading chunks or generating new terrain.

MarsProbe:

Jeroenr:

And some schips that lookt a bit like a star destroyer, and you ship look a bit like a x-wing.

You would probably need to call the planet the sandworm is living on Arrikas and give a heavily herb-based economy before you started talking copyright infringement.

That aside, this looks really cool. If it ended up working it would combine a lot of stuff I would like to see in a game. I'd say the spaceflight/combat looks somewhat Freelancer-ish (though I tend to think that about most space combat game footage I see, seeing that I liked Freelancer so much) and the planetary exploration could fill the gap left by planet exploration in Mass Effect (while being more involved ideally). Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Well, everything looks a bit like someting else these days i suppose.

I think i have a fair impresion about the space combat, but i's not at all clear about what you can do on the planet.
Can you just walk around, do you have misions?

Also if the planets a random generated there is a limit to infinity, so some repetitiveness is inevitable.

And just like Minecraft, worlds/universes can get big fast.

This is the first next-gen game that's been announced that has be seriously considering getting a next-gen console. This looks like the mother of all sandbox games, and if it can live up to its potential, I reckon it could end up being fantastic.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here