184: Gangbangers, Victims, and Whores

Pages PREV 1 2 3

You know who's presented in a bad light in video games? Robots. Humans blast us with weapons, order us around, make us fix their ships, fly their ships, fix their dinner, kill their lab partners, and detonate bombs when we don't want to, and I for one am sick and tired of it. What we need are positive, sexy, charismatic robot role models portrayed in an intelligent, but sexy and alluring positive light. Also you should pay us more.

Who's with me?

Also, more booze, gambling, and hookers for the robots in the games.

On second thought, never mind the games.

Christina Gonzalez:
Gangbangers, Victims, and Whores

When it comes to portrayals of Latinas in videogames, most characters fall into one of three stereotypes - and none of them are particularly flattering. Christina González probes the game industry's limited perspectives of Hispanic women.

Read Full Article

Is this really that difficult to understand? It goes along with why the only blacks you see in games are stereotypical and the same for almost any other ethnic group.

Stereotypes are what you see all the time anywhere else. Most authors draw from personal experience. If you don't know any blacks, latinos, whatever in real life, then all you can draw from is stereotypes from other media.

To go even further than that, stereotypes are easier to relate to for the vast majority because they are stereotypes. It's why you see so few original characters in any work of fiction.

For the record, all races get stereotyped in media. The only unique characters you ever find are ones that are based off of real people. If the author only knows a few people that are interesting enough to base a fictional character off of, that's going to be the one or two unique characters in anything they write. You can get offended by stereotypes if you want to, but I see it as being nothing more than a limitation of creativity from the author(s).

Also, I second what Diddy_Mao said. He made some valid points.

Really though, if stereotyping bothers you so much, why don't you try to make a game yourself without any stereotypes in it and tell me how easy it is after your second or third game. Unless you're making a game with only a handful of characters in it total(no extras at all), you're going to have stereotypes. I've yet to see anyone with enough creative genius to create an entire world of all unique characters.

I saw a lot of Italian stereotypes in the GTA series. Did I get offended? No. I thought it was funny, to be honest. While I would certainly appreciate a bit more creativity, I realize and accept that people have limitations. Also, seriously, we're talking about GTA here. This isn't a work of Shakespeare, by far.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
I say to fix this, make a game with: a Mexican President, a Muslim V.P. and make Canada Supreme rulers of the Universe.

Seriously. There are alot of people saying that this isn't a 'racial equality' article but it kind of is. Whilst it isn't crying racism it is saying that Latino characters are often minor and stereotyped.

Parts of the article were hypocritical... for example saying that Latino characters are often minor, then listing about 7 games where Latinos are the forefront of the entire game. As for GTA, the main characters isn't always some criminal scum douche, they always have a 'reason' of some kind (OK it's not a fluffy kittens and goodwill but you know what I mean) to be doing what they're doing. As another Escapist article said: the crime in GTA is optional, nobody forces you to steal a car and kill a hooker then run off with her purse just to beat an old lady to death with it.

As for displaying Latinos as criminals, if you look at the statistics, 60 percent of prison population is made up of 'minorities' of all kinds. That isn't me being racist I am merely stating a statistic (and it could be wrong, it is just what I read) so perhaps the game developers read similar statistics and decided that it was more fitting that sticking some geeky rich white boy in the mix.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying.

:)

afaceforradio:
snip

HOLLY COW, I made this post a LONG time ago. Way back when I still though all forums were as crazy as Gamespot and Youtube. (I can't even count how many of my old posts got me close to the banhammer) Anyway I have in a way, reformed from my troll like habits. Though this post in particular was more of a joke than somthing serious. I do get your point though.

The GTA series must be the least racist game series ever, they have had: a White guy (GTA 3), an Italian (Vice city), a British guy (GTA 1/2), a Latin guy (Ballad of Gay Tony), a Jewish Guy (Lost and the Damned, yes Johny is Jewish), an African American guy (San Andreas), an Easter European guy (GTA 4) and a Chinese guy (China town wars) all as the main character.

The protagonist of the last GTA4 episode was Luis Lopez, who was actually a really likeable guy (aside from being a criminal and cold-blooded killer, but who isn't in the GTA universe?)

edit: NM, forgot to check the date, sorry.

I was looking back at your article, re-reading it, and I have to say. It went off track.

First the story was about the lack of respectable Latina representation in a game, then it became about female rights and representation in a game. At no point was there any mention of male Latina's and how they are presented within' video games.

I think you went far off track, and thus lost a fair bit of respect for the point you where apparently trying to make. As a reader, I don't really enjoy reading an article that's meant to discussing one point, and then end up discussing something almost completely unrelated, and over represented as it is.

The point of the article you where trying to make had merit, but the sneaky approach to force a statement that's generally said so many times we all have it mashed into our heads by now, is not appreciated. It reminded me of those Eagle Entertainment movies that promise stories about Odysseus or Genghis Khan, and then end up ramming a bunch of christian propaganda down your throat.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here