Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Hobbit Games

Top 5 Hobbit Games

Lisa goes through the history of gaming to give us the top five hobbit games.

Watch Video

Since Munchkin was listed, I'm assuming that this means Halflings in general, not just Tolkien's Hobbits, I state that this list is dreadfully incomplete without the Baldur's Gate series. It's one of the best RPGs of all times and Halflings are definitely one of the playable races. Taking on interplanar demons and hordes of undead is an extra layer of hillarious when you're doing it not as a muscle-bound Human Barbarian or a graceful Elf Wizard, but rather as a stocky little Halfling!

Lord of the rings online. I get to play as the hobbit that I want to make. Good times playing a hobbit minstrel. :D

Naturally the only sensible option is to remain constantly in the boots of butt-kicking and the pantyhose of giant strength.

I like how some Top Fives showcase games I don't know or haven't played. It's like a guided back-track through gaming history with recommendations of what I should dig out and experience.

Nice hair, by the way.

I played the Lego LOTR game...and the Star Wars ones...and the DC heroes ones...and the result is a resounding, absolute Meeehhhh...

I never understood. They're like Jet Force Gemini...only not as good/epic/lovable. At least in Gemini when we back-tracked through levels, some alternate things happened! I mean played a level as the dog was so much different than the others, simply because what doors he could unlock/ledges he could climb changed the course of the level. In the lego games...backtracking was just to get some shiny piece of gold that was very clearly displayed from your first playthrough. I dunno, to me having to unlock a character to get 100% isn't a puzzle or added content. Its just padding the gameplay

Am I the only person who winced a little bit when she equipped the singing and dancing sword to a thief? I mean, she didn't even have a cheat card! No, bad Lisa, read your cards :P .

Humanity1:
Am I the only person who winced a little bit when she equipped the singing and dancing sword to a thief? I mean, she didn't even have a cheat card! No, bad Lisa, read your cards :P .

No, no you're not. I laughed though, because maybe that was part of the joke.

Leviano:
Lord of the rings online. I get to play as the hobbit that I want to make. Good times playing a hobbit minstrel. :D

Absolutely. There are literally guilds that exist purely to play hobbit characters, level cap themselves and send their entire play time role playing in The Shire. You know the hobbit play has to be good if it engenders that sort of loyalty. Plus, if you start as a hobbit and choose to never leave The Shire, you basically are playing a totally hobbit centric game, so it fits better than some of the other titles on this Top 5.

chozo_hybrid:

Humanity1:

No, no you're not. I laughed though, because maybe that was part of the joke.

Yay, for munchkin!

Plus as long as nobody calls her out for it cheating is permitted (its in the rules)

I second the Yay for Munchkin!

Interesting choices, I might have to try the Lego hobbit game at some stage.

How is DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!! Not up here in spades! The original Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were both efforts to bring an electronic release of the PnP to consoles, and Baldur's Gate IS A FREAKING DND GAME!!! As are planescape, and a number of other games.

So one cannot argue the significance DND has on the influence of modern games. Well, then why should show up on a "Top 5 best Hobbit Games" list?

Easy, the whole thing is based on LotR.
The Ranger class was included specifically to represent someone like Aragorn(royal blood NOT standing)
The Halfling was called that only when they couldn't get the rights to call that race a HOBBIT.
The original races for the original game even mimicked the original LotR. Elves, Dwarves, Halflings(Hobbits), and Humans. Hell in the first edition playing a hobbit was it's own thing seperate from being a mage or a ranger.

DND should easily have made this list.

I sort of want to see a Top 5 Browser Games episode...

So, can we get a .gif of Kevin's high 5?
Cause that was adorable...
OT: I liked your list. I'm surprised none of the non Lego LOTR games are there (Especially since Fellowship starts you as Frodo), but oh well.

I played a slightly later version of the Hobbit text adventure on the Commodore with improved illustrations and music. (This one.)

Favorite moment:
"ATTACK SMAUG WITH SWORD"
"You attack the dragon with the short strong sword.
With one well-placed blow, you cleave his skull.
The dragon is dead."

...Yes, I killed Smaug.
As Bilbo.
With Sting.
You've got to love random number generator combat, sometimes...

I was expecting Everquest to be at least somewhere, because their's not only hobbits (well, ok, Halflings but that's the same.. ) but one of the coolest God in it is a hobbit: Bristlebane. Plus he rules one of the weirdest place you'll can find !

And Lisa fails again. No Lord of the Rings Online? It's simply the best Middle Earth based game ever.

She should have equipped the Broad Sword or if she had been gender swapped the Gentleman's Club

NetHack has hobbits in it. With wands of death. :(

StriderShinryu:

Leviano:

Absolutely. There are literally guilds that exist purely to play hobbit characters, level cap themselves and send their entire play time role playing in The Shire. You know the hobbit play has to be good if it engenders that sort of loyalty. Plus, if you start as a hobbit and choose to never leave The Shire, you basically are playing a totally hobbit centric game, so it fits better than some of the other titles on this Top 5.

That's what I was thinking too. But I know people fear putting MMORPGs on any lists. I played a hobbit for a bit, but didn't like walking around looking at people's navels.

Whytewulf:

StriderShinryu:

Leviano:

That's what I was thinking too. But I know people fear putting MMORPGs on any lists. I played a hobbit for a bit, but didn't like walking around looking at people's navels.

I've had an... aversion to hobbits in that game for a long time due to my hatred of the Oatbarton quests... Stupid lazy hobbits, sittin around making other people do EVERYTHING! At least that one allowed us to try the pipeweed out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here