Jimquisition: Copyright War

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Copyright War

In this extra Jimquisition episode, Jim tackles the spark of the Copyright War, as YouTube allows publishers to cut through its videos like a legal reaper, claiming all sorts of content and causing a ton of trouble.

Watch Video

I feel like this happens because the publishers are bored and feel like getting attention every now and then.

The B-roll thing has been happening for a while. Activision gave me a direct Copyright Strike for using B-roll of WoW Cataclysm in a preview of WoW Cataclysm. It wasn't even monetized, I couldn't even if I wanted to at that time.
For a while, I've been doing my best to avoid trailers, B-roll, in-game music, and just about anything that the crappy Content ID system can claim.
Sometimes I substitute gameplay by miming.

Maybe they just don't like the fact that a video made by a random bigshot on YouTube can null millions worth of advertising in a matter of hours. We've seen Amazon removing negative customer reviews of new EA games multiple times (oh sorry, I forgot, that was that ominous "glitch"), and let's play's are basically the same. You just get to see what people like and dislike in motion rather than reading about it.

nice to see an episode this soon and now i dont need to take my drugs thx jim :P

Maybe it's time for an alternative to YouTube, since the site seems to be becoming rapidly taken over by corporations and Google +. Anyone got any suggestions for a viable alternative video site?

You know, I can't help but wonder exactly what's going through the heads of these people. Have they ever considered that maybe, for five minutes, they should stop acting so, you know, EVIL!?

Yep, I was just discussing this in that Youtube LP shitstorm thread the other day. Everyone celebrating the attacks against LPers are really just encouraging publishers to be allowed to exert more and more control over what we the customers are allowed to see, which at the end of the day should be the last thing customers want, because publishers are notoriously stingy with releasing actual relevant information and often even outright lie about the state their games are in.

What I found the most, frankly, insulting about all of the arguments on the side of the publishers, however, is that there are people who simply refuse the idea that LPing a game can be a legitimate job; Who claim that it requires zero effort, time, or money on the behalf of the person creating the videos to just throw out a video on Youtube and then start raking in millions and millions in ad revenue (which in itself is a hilarious misconception as well). And that because these people are simply piggybacking off of "other people's work", they shouldn't be allowed to make money, as if that doesn't happen in every other industry in the entire world.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, I'm sure what I've already typed will draw the ire of the two or three people who valiantly oppose LPs anyway. Good show, Jim, and I indeed wish that Google would actually stand up for the people who draw in the ad revenue rather than actively dicking them over at every turn. They seem to be trying their damnedest to switch people over to other services, which I guess could be a little commendable in a roundabout way.

I've never understood if it's just one dumb guy calling the shots on whatever video that has any relation to their content, no matter how minimal it might be, or just a bot launching infringement notices everywhere.

PS: Hope this is enough to not count it as "low content" Escapist :)

Indeed. Thank God for you, Jim. =w= b

Also, side question;

Who is happy about this!? Besides publishers, of course

I guess if you don't like a specific youtube personality, you could be happy that they are getting the screws put to them, but I don't see one guy/gal you don't like getting burned being worth all the others you may like/don't hate also getting burned.

But rejoicing it as a whole? WHY!?

P.S. You really don't need them, Jim!
You have all of us. ;3

I'd like to know what people are celebrating the attempted muzzling of YouTubers? Also if YouTube does continue to allow this, isn't the internet far larger then YouTube, won't the contributers just migrate to another service like DailyMotion or somethin? And how does it benefit Capcom or anyone to try and hamstring coverage of your game? But also haven't they been waging this war with PirateBay for more then a decade now and gotten absolutely next to no where when that can be considered FAR more insipid then Let's Plays?
I AM SO VERY CONFUSED!! Nothing makes any sense. Company's must no longer like advertising... or money.

Let's Plays are great advertising for your game. I bought Papers, Please yesterday because Total Biscut was going gushy over it

I'd say that media outlets will eventually shy away from using any footage from some companies because they'd run the risk of being hit by a "scatter shot" and have their videos flagged.
Would be funny if the whole situation would turn into some kind of media blackout where it seems like no one cares about this or that new title because no one talks about it because everyone's afraid that the company might have their bots flag your videos.
Getting the copyright strikes removed might be a process too long for some, especially if you have to do it several times at once when the companies owning copyrights run rampant so you might as well not bother.

shrekfan246:
Yep, I was just discussing this in that Youtube LP shitstorm thread the other day. Everyone celebrating the attacks against LPers are really just encouraging publishers to be allowed to exert more and more control over what we the customers are allowed to see, which at the end of the day should be the last thing customers want, because publishers are notoriously stingy with releasing actual relevant information and often even outright lie about the state their games are in.

What I found the most, frankly, insulting about all of the arguments on the side of the publishers, however, is that there are people who simply refuse the idea that LPing a game can be a legitimate job; Who claim that it requires zero effort, time, or money on the behalf of the person creating the videos to just throw out a video on Youtube and then start raking in millions and millions in ad revenue (which in itself is a hilarious misconception as well). And that because these people are simply piggybacking off of "other people's work", they shouldn't be allowed to make money, as if that doesn't happen in every other industry in the entire world.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, I'm sure what I've already typed will draw the ire of the two or three people who valiantly oppose LPs anyway. Good show, Jim, and I indeed wish that Google would actually stand up for the people who draw in the ad revenue rather than actively dicking them over at every turn. They seem to be trying their damnedest to switch people over to other services, which I guess could be a little commendable in a roundabout way.

I completely agree with you. It's really questionable how people can think like that.

I just wish Google/Youtube could get their head out of their behinds so they can get their act together. Would be nice to just see an alternative to Youtube spring up if anything... Doubtful that will happen though.

erttheking:
You know, I can't help but wonder exactly what's going through the heads of these people. Have they ever considered that maybe, for five minutes, they should stop acting so, you know, EVIL!?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's equal mixes of bumbling and not understanding what they are doing. YouTube has, or at least had, a system for automatic claim checks. Which was pretty annoying when at the time we had multiple YouTube channels and one of them would copyright strike against our other content channels.

I think the best option would be to severely punish copyright holders who flag things falsely, make them hire people to troll through videos for copyrighted content.

Three strikes on both sides, if you infringe copyright three times your youtube account is disabled. However if a company or one of their representatives makes a false copyright claim three times they lose the ability to make claims for a year at the least.

Yeah, I have no idea why some are reacting to this like "Yes, finally that Pewdiepie will get what's coming to him!" as I've seen. He's the one guy every company is going to allow, if not go out of their way, to let him play their game.

And christ, if you hate the guy that much that you want to affect his livelihood, there is a simpler option, you could just not watch his videos

So yeah, I hope (but am not particularly hopeful) that it gets sorted out in a way that helps the content creators, as opposed to those big companies.

Finally, it's good to see someone mention Northernlion. I know he's by no means small, but I hardly ever hear anyone talk about him on The Escapist =P

JoJo:
Maybe it's time for an alternative to YouTube, since the site seems to be becoming rapidly taken over by corporations and Google +. Anyone got any suggestions for a viable alternative video site?

Unfortunately that's basically not going to happen. Any video site hosted on the servers of the size that would be required to hold the raw amount of video footage on youtube would probably have to be owned by a corporation of sorts.

Which isn't to say there aren't web sites with the same capabilities as youtube but they absolutely lack the capacity.

Good. Lemme say that again: Gooooooooooooooood. I hope the publishers go buck wild and punish every LPer they can for every little reason they can. And then, when they come back whining that the indie crowd is growing larger because of a growth in free press and that they want a slice of that because their sales have dropped, we can tell them to go suck on it.

Here's your rope, publishers. Have fun.

"We don't need you anymore and that's what really scares you."

I have been saying this for a long time, Jim. You echo my sentiments exactly. Thank you.

Imp Emissary:

Also, side question;

I guess if you don't like a specific youtube personality, you could be happy that they are getting the screws put to them, but I don't see one guy/gal you don't like getting burned being worth all the others you may like/don't hate also getting burned.

You have all of us. ;3

Pewdiepie. Within 5 comments on the first break of this news on Escapist, someone mentioned "If this gets rid of Pewdiepie then I'm all for it".

I think it's the most ridiculous that these publishers will sue for lets plays of games that are impossible to get any more. Like, you literally cannot get the game new, even digitally. But they will still sue.

Guys, can we PLEASE get Jim into the oval office or something? Already a proven leader with millions of loyal viewers ready to vote him in, what's the holdup?

OT: Funny, i just finished recording a few videos myself to try and start my own little gaming channel on youtube with smw3d, wonder how fast it'll get shot down...

erttheking:

Best not to attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity. The fact of the matter is that while there's some very tech savvy people who do the work, they're being told to do it by lawyers, who have been given orders by CEO's, who are just parroting the whims of stockholders. Said stockholders have no qualifications for running a business other than having loads of money, and chances are they're like the average person: Still thinking the internet is just for checking their Facebook and ordering dragon dildos. I seriously doubt they have any idea what the LP community is like.

LetalisK:
Good. Lemme say that again: Gooooooooooooooood. I hope the publishers go buck wild and punish every LPer they can for every little reason they can. And then, when they come back whining that the indie crowd is growing larger because of a growth in free press and that they want a slice of that because their sales have dropped, we can tell them to go suck on it.

Although I would love to see publishers get what's coming to them, I would rather see it through a way that doesn't kill the content creators in the process.

OT:
The one thing that bothers me about all of this though is how no one ever talks about this until it happens to them. TB never talked about it until the whole Sega or Garry's Incident. Jim didn't really talk about until one of his own videos were removed. It would be nice to see more talk about the subject before the person became a victim.

This is why if I ever started a gaming channel I would do almost exclusively non-triple A games. Mostly because of the automated content match system, but also because those games already get enough publicity as is, the ones that need the publicity are the smaller ones.

LetalisK:

The publishers are afraid of us.

We have seen their true faces. The shelves are extended gutters and the gutters are full of shite and when the drains finally clog, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their grubbing and crying will foam up about their waists and all the review whores and CEOs will look up and shout "Save us!"...

... and I'll look down and whisper

"Fuck off."

You could have just released the little speech at the end and called it a day. Brilliant stuff.

UberPubert:

JoJo:

Unfortunately that's basically not going to happen. Any video site hosted on the servers of the size that would be required to hold the raw amount of video footage on youtube would probably have to be owned by a corporation of sorts.

Which isn't to say there aren't web sites with the same capabilities as youtube but they absolutely lack the capacity.

I don't necessarily mean one not owned by a corporation of some sorts, but rather not one which freely gives other corporations the right to remove any content they judge to be infringing without any sort of oversight as Google does now. I don't think YouTube's huge market share is impregnable, look what happened to MySpace, just the right competitor needs to come along... (and probably become equally terrible in the end, but such is the circle of life right?).

I think the point Jim made is actually a valid one at the end. Market forces dictate how people operate. If there is fear of playing a game because they are concerned that they will be unfairly receiving a strike, then they will choose not to play or promote them.

So who will be left and what will the effect be on them? A small group of people who will quickly lose all credibility, in some cases not being their fault.

There are two scenarios; the first one is that the publishers have left them alone because they said positive things and mean them, the second is those that have sold their soul and are lying to their audience and hereby lies the problem. There is so much distrust against certain publishers that everyone may be tarred with the same brush who is able to 'get away with it!' and are accused of being in the back pocket, even when it is false.

The publishers of games are making enemies of the people they want on side; 1000 years of history has always proven that if you do this, it will always end in disaster. Publishers need the goodwill of the players and the gatekeepers of the goodwill are people like Jim, TB, Northernlion, Indie Statik to name a few.

When the chaos of TB and WGS occurred I watched the fiasco evolve (just for fun). TB showed a 20 minute video and within hours:

1)WGS's Facebook Page was bombarded with people liking the page just to Attack them
2)Steam's DO:GI HUB page was swamped with messages started up attacking them.
3)The discussion pages of Steam were swamped that people showing their hatred faster than WGS could take it down.

Even when they caved, it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. How many Video creators have blacklisted WGS for doing this and will never play their games again?

But know who the true enemy is. Who has allowed this to happen? Who designed the flawed system in the first place?

JoJo:

Make your own alternative video site and write your own video codec? :P That would be rather labour intensive though.

Vausch:
Pewdiepie. Within 5 comments on the first break of this news on Escapist, someone mentioned "If this gets rid of Pewdiepie then I'm all for it".

Which you can counter with a very easily-understood music scenario:

"I'm all for destroying every song Metallica has ever made if it also gets rid of Justin Bieber."

(Substitute a famous and infamous name for any other medium the person who says this enjoys. Example: "I'm all for destroying every movie Stanley Kubrick has ever made if it also gets rid of Uwe Boll.")

You should be afraid of me, Jim. I can kick you in the shin and make it hurt for a real long time.

(Nah I'm just playing, one love, man.)

Vausch:

Imp Emissary:

Also, side question;

You have all of us. ;3

I think it's the most ridiculous that these publishers will sue for lets plays of games that are impossible to get any more. Like, you literally cannot get the game new, even digitally. But they will still sue.

Ah. I see. Figures.

Also; That is pretty ridiculous to go after someone over games you can't/don't sell yourself anymore anyway.
Even for games that you still sell, it's pretty dumb(most of the time).

For most games, watching them is not really at all the same as playing them yourself.

JoJo:

UberPubert:

JoJo:

I don't necessarily mean one not owned by a corporation of some sorts, but rather not one which freely gives other corporations the right to remove any content they judge to be infringing without any sort of oversight as Google does now. I don't think YouTube's huge market share is impregnable, look what happened to MySpace, just the right competitor needs to come along... (and probably become equally terrible in the end, but such is the circle of life right?).

Right now I think the best rival for youtube would be something like Twitch.tv

This is a bad thing that can lead to a good thing.
I do want that good youtubers that create original content will be free to do so, but this shouldn't give a free pass for those who just stream entire games without adding anything of their own.
Maybe this mess will encourage the publishers, google and content creators to put some effort and solve this problem. So in the future no one will have to be afraid of random take down notices. Meaning that if you create something original - your video stays up no matter what, but if you post a "silent movie" of you just playing the game it gets taken down.
I think that it's the randomness and the unfairness that is the main problem here and not google's ability to take down gameplay videos itself.

SkarKrow:

Make your own alternative video site and write your own video codec? :P That would be rather labour intensive though.

I'm no programmer, I'd rather give my custom to another video site though if it can supply enough variety of content to be worthwhile, at-least for some of my viewing.

Vedli:

Right now I think the best rival for youtube would be something like Twitch.tv

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook