Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The VGX Gag Reel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The VGX Gag Reel

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Yahtzee needs a get-up like this for his next song.

Also, I got the analogy; you're talking about the dog from CoD: Ghosts, right?

Well said Jim & way to rock raybans

Loved Yahtzee's. One of my favourites of the whole series.

I can't help but feel like Yahtzee just defended AAA publishers. Aren't we supposed to lynch people for that?

Here is my interpretation. The poem was about VGX.

The King is us, gamers, and the Joker is Spike; and the poem was about the inadequacy of meeting the different expectations for such a show, and how we can criticize each other. Ours being finding something worthwhile discussing and celebrating about games without knowledge on how to make and sell TV shows, while theirs being entertaining to the lowbrow masses without knowledge of the subject.

So, what do you think?

deathbydeath:
I can't help but feel like Yahtzee just defended AAA publishers. Aren't we supposed to lynch people for that?

The king is AAA games, and Yahtzee called them boring and witless.

I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.

Yes, I'm sure we'll figure it out. Hmm, I'll just wait for others to figure it out =/

canadamus_prime:
I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.

No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

deathbydeath:

canadamus_prime:

No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.

Just by watching the Rhyme Down you will instantly know that VGX is the bottom mark for videogame shows, now.

Well Jim, pretty disappointing. I mean, really? An entire section of an episode just to whine about how the VGX host was mean to you and how he somehow mentioned transexuals in way that wasn't a total compliment?
The thing is, McHale was exactly what that show needed. The VGX was never going to be good and it was nice to see someone who is an actual gamer in real life shit all over everything they were doing and make the Dorito Pope shifty and nervous as hell. When something is already guaranteed to be a train wreck, the only way to make it better is to throw a crashing plane, an earthquake and an exploding gas stove in the same location for giggles.

Also did I fucking call it? Because I totally called it.

As for Yahtzee, brilliant as usual. I really don't know how you manage to keep these so fresh and interesting.

hermes200:
Here is my interpretation. The poem was about VGX.

The King is us, gamers, and the Joker is Spike; and the poem was about the inadequacy of meeting the different expectations for such a show, and how we can criticize each other. Ours being finding something worthwhile discussing and celebrating about games without knowledge on how to make and sell TV shows, while theirs being entertaining to the lowbrow masses without knowledge of the subject.

So, what do you think?

I think it had more to do with game journalism itself.

Geoff Keighley and the other sellouts are the King. Yahtzee and his comedic ilk are the jesters.

deathbydeath:
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore gemers should be outraged.

Are this for real? Did they air this? Is this the best they can do? Have Spike became aware that they are just a punchline? And most important of all: Have Jimmy became aware of the existence of Fire Emblem: Awakening (lol)?

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
Well Jim, pretty disappointing. I mean, really? An entire section of an episode just to whine about how the VGX host was mean to you and how he somehow mentioned transexuals in way that wasn't a total compliment?
The thing is, McHale was exactly what that show needed. The VGX was never going to be good and it was nice to see someone who is an actual gamer in real life shit all over everything they were doing and make the Dorito Pope shifty and nervous as hell. When something is already guaranteed to be a train wreck, the only way to make it better is to throw a crashing plane, an earthquake and an exploding gas stove in the same location for giggles.

I am sorry.

I'm just ... I'm just so sorry.

Jimothy Sterling:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

I am sorry.

I don't know, i was pretty crushed. I don't know if I'll even be able to go on living after a betrayal of these proportions.

Maybe if we snuggle for a while we'll be able to make up. Ear biting is off limits until we're warmed up.

Sadly, I tend to stay away from any public displays related to the video game industry because they result in nothing but flame war and the death of brain cells, so I don't quite get either poem this week (though from what I've heard about Spike's awards in the past, Jim's is a little easier to grasp).

Wait, that's not really all that sad, now that I think about it.

canadamus_prime:

deathbydeath:

canadamus_prime:

And lets no forget the bit where they got someone to sing about raping pregnant women for their musical guest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvW9WwDLCxg&t=17m46s

Angry Joe had a field day with that one. Whoever thought inviting those retards to be star guests should be taken out and flogged.

Desert Punk:

canadamus_prime:

deathbydeath:

And lets no forget the bit where they got someone to sing about raping pregnant women for their musical guest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvW9WwDLCxg&t=17m46s

Angry Joe had a field day with that one. Whoever thought inviting those retards to be star guests should be taken out and flogged.

0_o I think a flogging would be too good for them.

The King was the AAA industry, not as witty or clever, but more competent at business and administrative practices.
The Jester was the indie gaming scene, fairly poor and not as experienced with business, but more intelligent and in-touch with their audience.

King = AAA publishers/devs
Jester = Indie devs

They basically do the same thing but the way they do them and why they succeed (if they do) are completely different.

My guess is Yahtzee's poem was about how indie games vs AAA big-budged big-named games.

Indies are often full of great ideas and clever design, whereas big AAA games are, well, not. Indies have to work their asses off for sales, since they don't have a big name to attack themselves to, while most AAA games these days are sequels reboots and are hoping to sell a lot based on the game's name.

That's my take anyway.

The end especially. The big AAA king wonders how the audience will figure something out without being told straight up. The jester says they're smart, they can figure it out.

Was the bit about the joker being a terrible king something to do with Valve's interpretation of how long a wait is acceptable between episodic games? Or was it just making the point that AAA labels should use their obscene wealth and marketing expertise to support creative developers? AS opposed than reducing the market to the most profitable franchises of the past and hyping the balls off of anything that looks like a big enough clone.

deathbydeath:

canadamus_prime:

Jesus! I didn't think this "awards" show could get any worse, but leave it to Spike to hire Joel McHale. to host. -_- I feel sorry for the people who had to work with him during this mess. If one or all of them decided to kill this douch-bag with their bare hands, I'm pretty sure they could be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Also, I got the analogy; you're talking about the dog from CoD: Ghosts, right?

I think it was something about tentacles. Right Dory?

Dory?

...Crap, she wandered off again.

Goliath100:
The king is AAA games, and Yahtzee called them boring and witless.

I would think that to be the case, since the "let's see you do better" argument usually applies as a defense to the big companies (gaming, movies, whatever), rather than towards the lower ranks. I doubt anyone has ever really said "I'd like to see you do better than a bog standard platform that is heralded BECAUSE ART!!!!!!!"

More to the point, it's leveled commonly at both laypeople and critics. It could be specific to Yahtzee, even, as he's an entertainer specifically.

Or it could be about ponies. Because isn't everything?

Yeah, Spike killed it there.
First of all, I like Joel. I like his deadpan comedy. Problem is, it just doesn't work mixed in with this kind of award show. Stick to The Soup and the stage. That's his schtik; reading from the prompter in that style of delivery. Just .. just din't work for this.

Goliath100:
Are this for real? Did they air this? Is this the best they can do? Have Spike became aware that they are just a punchline? And most important of all: Have Jimmy became aware of the existence of Fire Emblem: Awakening (lol)?

Honestly, there seems to be a rather large portion of the gamer base who are self-loathing and enjoy this sort of thing.

Jim said something to the effect of this begin what the network deserves, but I think it might actually be more what gamers deserve, because we've set this up. I mean, not specific to the VGX20991337hardcorzgamezawards but in general.

Jimothy Sterling:

I am sorry.

I think you can make for a better apology than that.

Those were some of the best I've heard Jim and Yahtzee in a while.

Okay.. the King is a big name, recognizable, famous for whatever reason person, so they put them on stage to do a comedian's job. They does a terrible job. The Jester is a comedian who does a comedian's job really really well. Which one of them do you think got paid more?

Both poems were about the same thing this week, which I actually kind of liked.

Also... who the hell is Joel McHale? I'm going to have to go look this guy up now, aren't I? Great... wait, he's a comedian? Well he's also an everything else. So is he really a comedian? What I just saw on the VGX was terrible.

Um... okay, new analogy. He appeared to be reading from a prompter; maybe the "King" wrote all his material and the "Jester" was just there for food money? We're sure he's an actual comedian, right? Not one of those fake ones where he's just good at acting on a TV show...

I'm so confused.

I thought the Jester was representing indie games (full of originality but poor) while the King was representing rehashed sequels (only getting by on his name and rich, focussing on the PR side with peace treaties and such rather than creativity).

Mr. Q:

deathbydeath:

canadamus_prime:

Jesus! I didn't think this "awards" show could get any worse, but leave it to Spike to hire Joel McHale. to host. -_- I feel sorry for the people who had to work with him during this mess. If one or all of them decided to kill this douch-bag with their bare hands, I'm pretty sure they could be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

That's how I felt. I mean, just in the first minute of that video alone you can see Geoff Keighley cringing into the corner of the room, trying to get off screen. His averted gaze and sad eyes scream, "This guy is a massive douche bag and I don't want to be associated with him." Upon looking up he sees only Oblivion. His mouth opens as if to speak, to defend gaming's honor, but then recoils in fear, afraid to get that much stupid redirected at him.

I mean, the Jester can't be Joel McHogwash. He did not come off as any kind of a gamer. He actually seemed more like the type who thinks video games are taken too seriously and probably wonders why there are award shows at all. He's famous, obviously, so he got the hosting job on his name cred alone and he did a terrible job.

He's very likely the King and the Jester is... someone who is actually funny but doesn't get to host anything because they're not famous? I haven't seen any of his standup and I don't watch much TV, so I don't know if he's actually funny or not, but he was completely out of his element on the VGx. He took an already bad show and made it painful to watch.

I can see the King and Jester as analogies for both AAA publishers vs. Indie devs and for Spike TV's VGX (X? Really? Dafuq?), so well done Yahtzee! My only criticism is that you didn't wear a renaissance-era outfit and you weren't playing a lute. I didn't watch the VGA's (I am NOT using that bloody 'X') and now I'm not sure I want to. Now, or ever again. When was it on?

Honestly, as bad as Joel Mchale was, and trust me, I really thought he was terrible, what exactly would have been gained by having a 'respectable' host? I used to be of the opinion that what Mchale did was jut an affront to the industry, but if we had someone 'respectable,' we would have just gotten advertisments, and plugs for Dorito's. I think about it, and the conclusion I come to is that the VGX is so fundamentally flawed, anti-humor like Mchale's seems like the only proper response.

Were his jokes awful, dated, and just offensive overall? Absolutely. But it's better than having stupid advertisements and patronizing bullshit. Trust me, Mchale wasn't the only bad thing about that travesty. It's as if we've all collectively forgotten how much of a corporate shill Geoff Keighly has been in the past, and how god-damn pandering the show's been before.

trty00:
Honestly, as bad as Joel Mchale was, and trust me, I really thought he was terrible, what exactly would have been gained by having a 'respectable' host? I used to be of the opinion that what Mchale did was jut an affront to the industry, but if we had someone 'respectable,' we would have just gotten advertisments, and plugs for Dorito's. I think about it, and the conclusion I come to is that the VGX is so fundamentally flawed, anti-humor like Mchale's seems like the only proper response.

Were his jokes awful, dated, and just offensive overall? Absolutely. But it's better than having stupid advertisements and patronizing bullshit. Trust me, Mchale wasn't the only bad thing about that travesty. It's as if we've all collectively forgotten how much of a corporate shill Geoff Keighly has been in the past, and how god-damn pandering the show's been before.

You know... there is a happy medium between corporate sellout and terrible human being. Like say... a funny person. Who makes us chuckle and is amusing.

Who said anything about "respectable"? There are funny people out there making funny jokes about games. They just happen not to be as famous as more offensive comedians. I agree with you that VGx is a terrible idea but they went so far as to actually make it worse. That, to answer your question, is what we would've gotten from a "respectable" host: the whole didn't-make-things-worse angle. I've been seeing posts come up "at least they got a real gamer to call them on their shit", and to whomever thinks Joel McHowitzer is a gamer, his behavior on that show makes gamers look like assholes.

I'ma reminded of a CSI episode involving the furries. Did you know that they brought in an actual factual furry to advise the show writers?. On all accounts, they didn't really listen to him, but they got to say "no, this is how it is because we had one of THEM on staff".

Well, Joel McDouche, in this analogy, gave them slightly more credibility... and for that... yeah, I'd have rather seen some corporate fakey up on that stage. At least everyone would've kept ignoring the VGx.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here