Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The VGX Gag Reel

Pages PREV 1 2

Pebkio:

trty00:
Honestly, as bad as Joel Mchale was, and trust me, I really thought he was terrible, what exactly would have been gained by having a 'respectable' host? I used to be of the opinion that what Mchale did was jut an affront to the industry, but if we had someone 'respectable,' we would have just gotten advertisments, and plugs for Dorito's. I think about it, and the conclusion I come to is that the VGX is so fundamentally flawed, anti-humor like Mchale's seems like the only proper response.

Were his jokes awful, dated, and just offensive overall? Absolutely. But it's better than having stupid advertisements and patronizing bullshit. Trust me, Mchale wasn't the only bad thing about that travesty. It's as if we've all collectively forgotten how much of a corporate shill Geoff Keighly has been in the past, and how god-damn pandering the show's been before.

You know... there is a happy medium between corporate sellout and terrible human being. Like say... a funny person. Who makes us chuckle and is amusing.

Who said anything about "respectable"? There are funny people out there making funny jokes about games. They just happen not to be as famous as more offensive comedians. I agree with you that VGx is a terrible idea but they went so far as to actually make it worse. That, to answer your question, is what we would've gotten from a "respectable" host: the whole didn't-make-things-worse angle. I've been seeing posts come up "at least they got a real gamer to call them on their shit", and to whomever thinks Joel McHowitzer is a gamer, his behavior on that show makes gamers look like assholes.

I'ma reminded of a CSI episode involving the furries. Did you know that they brought in an actual factual furry to advise the show writers?. On all accounts, they didn't really listen to him, but they got to say "no, this is how it is because we had one of THEM on staff".

Well, Joel McDouche, in this analogy, gave them slightly more credibility... and for that... yeah, I'd have rather seen some corporate fakey up on that stage. At least everyone would've kept ignoring the VGx.

Because the VGX didn't make us look like cocks already? Since its inception, the show has been at the absolute forefront of holding our medium back. Obnoxious advertisments? Check. Emabarassing antics? Check. Giving awards to games that contribute absolutely NOTHING? Check. Hosts that have no idea what they're doing? Check.If you think Mchale's awkward co-hosting is really the tipping point, then frankly, I have to ask what event you've been viewing all this time.

My theory, is that Joel Mchale knew this was going to suck, and so he decided to go all out. Keep in mind, this was a scripted event, so if he had to resort to the jokes he told, just imagine the dreck that was written. You might not believe it, but Joel Mchale IS a gamer, and I think he despises the VGX as much as we do. As such, I think he decided to blow it up from the inside. I think he meant to make the bullshit so thick, it's utterly impossible to take the event seriously ever again.

canadamus_prime:

deathbydeath:

canadamus_prime:
I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.

No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.

Spike... standards? Does Spike have standards?

I do believe that in this metaphor, Yahtzee represents John Lennon.

I'll let you all mull that one over for a bit.

I get the strong feeling that Yahtzee's poem was about nothing, why? Because that poem could be applied to just about anything in our society. He's just screwing with us.

-Dragmire-:

canadamus_prime:

deathbydeath:
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.

Spike... standards? Does Spike have standards?

By "standards" I, of course, mean what can usually be expected from Spike TV. Those standards being somewhere and the mantle layer of the Earth.

deathbydeath:
I can't help but feel like Yahtzee just defended AAA publishers. Aren't we supposed to lynch people for that?

No. The boring King who hadn't earned its status or power for any other reason for its names are AAA publishers, and the quick witted Jester is the indie publisher (I'm pretty sure the line about "begging for every copper" from the crowd is a reference to indie developers having to turn to crowd funding ala Kick Starter, but that may just be me...)

Maybe Yahtzee is trolling us?

TiberiusEsuriens:
That's how I felt. I mean, just in the first minute of that video alone you can see Geoff Keighley cringing into the corner of the room, trying to get off screen. His averted gaze and sad eyes scream, "This guy is a massive douche bag and I don't want to be associated with him." Upon looking up he sees only Oblivion. His mouth opens as if to speak, to defend gaming's honor, but then recoils in fear, afraid to get that much stupid redirected at him.

Right, because Geoff Keighley, the Doritos Pope, is going to be defending gaming's honor. That man's more shill than IGN could ever hope to be.

Both great poems, as pretty much always, but as a white male I'm somewhat perturbed that I'm expected to find "transgender surgery" funny. We're not all cunts you know, even in a comedic setting.

FogBird:
Maybe Yahtzee is trolling us?

King = publishers, jester = LPers. That's how I read it.

GrinningCat:

TiberiusEsuriens:
That's how I felt. I mean, just in the first minute of that video alone you can see Geoff Keighley cringing into the corner of the room, trying to get off screen. His averted gaze and sad eyes scream, "This guy is a massive douche bag and I don't want to be associated with him." Upon looking up he sees only Oblivion. His mouth opens as if to speak, to defend gaming's honor, but then recoils in fear, afraid to get that much stupid redirected at him.

Right, because Geoff Keighley, the Doritos Pope, is going to be defending gaming's honor. That man's more shill than IGN could ever hope to be.

Every man has his limits. I think Geoff just found his. Based on what you said it still fits. He has looked into the void and seen his own mortality. He knows that in his present course he will become the evil he is seated with. He must change. He must evolve...

Ok, I got nothing. I'm going to try and do work now.

The King is supposed to represent Geoff Keighley and the people that put together the VGX, and the Jester is Joel Mchale. One is a "game journalist", the other a "comedian".

The king in disguised trying to put together a show targeting an audience he doesn't know how to approach and entertain, and the Jester wearing the crown trying to host an award show for a medium that he doesn't understand or cares about.

Is it just me, or did Jim pretty scathingly criticize the gaming community at the end of his poem? "When really, it's the show this shithole deserves." That seems to be a pretty harsh criticism of the industry and even the community. I don't know how I feel about it, and this community definitely has its problems.

...and then the Jester knew the name of the King.

Jolly good lads! I really enjoyed this weeks episode with a glass of cold tap water in hand, after all it's -10 C here in Bulgaria.

Aaaaand Jim Stering takes the crown this week!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here