Zero Punctuation: Dead Rising 3

Pages PREV 1 2

I personally love Dead Rising 2 - but I'll wait for a PC release, because we all know it'll come sooner or later

...and it'll likely be a terrible port, but hey

That they got rid of the work-bench thing was nice, that you can't just randomly experiment sucks (But does encourage exploration and doing side-quests for blueprint rewards)

Also, from what I've seen then the new stat system looks very nice. Being able to up your inventory size? Yes please

So far, I've had no problems with the AI. They're the best out of the trilogy that I've experienced. Out of the Xbox One releases I've played, I've spent the most amount of time in DR3 and it's been great fun. Totally worth the purchase price.

I don't mind this many zombie games, frankly. At least there aren't that many on the PS3. Besides a couple of Resident Evil games, there's what, Dead Island, Dead Rising 2, The Last of Us and Undead Nightmare from Red Dead Redemption. Not counting zombie mods like CoD's that's exactly 6 games. Frankly I can't think of any more.

EDIT: Wait, the Walking Dead games.

For me the biggest problem is that the tone seems a bit inconsistent. The overall tone seems serious, while the gameplay remains fun and quirky, but as long as the game is fun, I don't think it's gonna be a huge problem.

To be fair, the ability to punch boulders is one of the greatest achievements in human history.

2 XBOX exclusives back to back favouritism? hopefully not wouldnt mind but they are both extreamly bad games which can be revealed to anyone with half a brain even without yahtzee's unique reveiwing methodreview contrast or resogun next please

Chaosritter:
To be fair, the ability to punch boulders is one of the greatest achievements in human history.

I mean, it showed how good Chris Redfield was at Football. His training paid off well. XD

I mean he showed that boulder who was boss!

Darth_Payn:

canadamus_prime:
So is this another case of Lugoscribblenauts Discombobulance? (ludonarrative dissonance)

That's what I thought too, about the "mechanic" who can't even duct-tape two random objects together without a blueprint. then again, I'm a Computer Engineer and I work better on them when I at least have the circuit diagram, if not the whole manual.

captcha: Nokia Lumia 925
I'm leaning toward the Samsung phone with the watch, so I can do a more convincing Venture Brothers cosplay.

Evonisia:

canadamus_prime:
So is this another case of Lugoscribblenauts Discombobulance? (ludonarrative dissonance)

Well it is kinda. But much less so than Dead Rising 2 was. Though really I don't see how Nick wanting to help people is countered by his rampant slaying of Zombies. Nick's not stupid, he knows that the Zombies can't be saved. It's nowhere near as bad as Chuck having sympathies with C.U.R.E but then he immediately goes out and destroys the Zombies (some of which are C.U.R.E members).

Edit: The Mechanic thing is an example, too. I'd say it's pretty much the only example and it's only limited to the weapon combinations. I doubt a mechanic can just look at two cars and go "yep, I'll know how to blend them together".

Ok perhaps I wasn't clear. I haven't played Dead Rising 3 (or indeed any of the Dead Rising games) I was referring specifically to the part of the video where Yahtzee describes the protagonist (Nick?) as some super nice guy who in gameplay gleefully mows down zombies, which Yahtzee himself describes as disingenuous correction: incongruous.

Neronium:

I mean, it showed how good Chris Redfield was at Football. His training paid off well. XD

I mean he showed that boulder who was boss!

While I do agree that it is one badass act for the final boss fight ... I have to admit, I played the other side where I was hanging for my life, it wasn't fun when you stop for one second and you fall to your death while you wait for the good ol' boulder to come down and Chris to help you.

Still ... I was pretty amazed, both me and my mate were laughing our asses off. XD

OP: As for this topic, I don't have a Xbox One/Xbone ... I only have enough money for the pisser/PS4.
I'm only buying it now to only prepare for the games of next year, I really want the new Infamous (Second Sons), but for now I'll only play the new Assassins Creed 4 on it.

For Dead Rising 3 ... I would have to admit that it would probably be the best launch title out of all of them.
Sure we all know what Capcom does with writing, but I'll admit that this is a zombie series that I have gotten use to over the years.

Especially if it has a dildo launcher.

Mikeyfell:
Thanks for ripping this piece of shit a new one
I'm not usually petty about things like this but when I am I get extremely petty.

Last gen Dead Rising 1, Case Zero, 2 Case West and Off the Record amounted to my favorite series. Mostly because Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 ended up shitting themselves half to death and expected me to clean up the mess.

Now I'm at least glad that Dead Rising managed to escape the generation barrier unscathed. But seriously how do they take a series that up to now could be described by the words "fun, vibrant and challenging" and decide that "monotonous, bland and piss easy" was a good direction for the series?

I thought by Yahtzee's standards that it was a relatively positive review that could be summed up more or less in two points, being the story is shit, and a lot of minor niggles. Neither of those two points preclude the game from being fun, but it does drop the game to a 7-8/10 leaving it firmly entrenched in the good but not great zone.

Boulder punching? Don't you mean boulder headbutting?

Hey at least Chris punching a boulder form RE5 was awesome in its stupidity.

ZZoMBiE13:

It's not as bland or easy as you think.

How do you know? Can you read minds?

But in seriousness I didn't play it no Nightmare mode (At least I don't think I did) I picked it up about an hour in on a friends account and we marathoned it for a solid 6 hours of drinking and yelling at the Kinnect like assholes

And all of the fun "Dead Rising-ey" things we did were too few and far between.
The previous DR games had an almost puzzle element trying to balance plot missions with side missions and rescues to fit in the timer. This time around the timer just seems remarkably token. Between drinking, passing the controller back and forth and smashing up zombies with the traffic light magic staff thing we didn't miss a survivor or a psycho.

The story was also wasn't as... um "Good by Capcom standards" as the previous games were
I didn't like it, and it couldn't all have come from Next-Gen-Bias-Rage.
I really wanted to like DR3 but I couldn't

smithy_2045:

Mikeyfell:
Thanks for ripping this piece of shit a new one
I'm not usually petty about things like this but when I am I get extremely petty.

Last gen Dead Rising 1, Case Zero, 2 Case West and Off the Record amounted to my favorite series. Mostly because Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 ended up shitting themselves half to death and expected me to clean up the mess.

Now I'm at least glad that Dead Rising managed to escape the generation barrier unscathed. But seriously how do they take a series that up to now could be described by the words "fun, vibrant and challenging" and decide that "monotonous, bland and piss easy" was a good direction for the series?

I thought by Yahtzee's standards that it was a relatively positive review that could be summed up more or less in two points, being the story is shit, and a lot of minor niggles. Neither of those two points preclude the game from being fun, but it does drop the game to a 7-8/10 leaving it firmly entrenched in the good but not great zone.

I guess you hear what you want to hear
I'm still convinced his review of Catherine was positive...

That all illusive "Good but not great zone" is all of 20 billion light-years wide as far as scoring a video game goes. I can't even remember if there was ever a high profile game that got less than a 7 no matter how awful they were (I'm looking at you Mass Effect 3!)

But minor niggles are often the most annoying.
(I might sight Last of Us as an example. I can't think of a major problem with it, but 10 or 11 insignificant nitpicks are keeping me from re playing it)

Not finding Dead Rising 3 visually interesting or challenging are pretty big things to pass off as minor, especially given the series history of excelling in those areas

prpshrt:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to notice the cover art from going to a colorful and "vibrant" blue to murky brown right...?

It's not just the cover art, the whole game went down that direction. They decided to change from a vibrant, more colorful palette to a washed out grey-and-brown. IIRC, there was a quote from the announcement that they specifically wanted Dead Rising 3 to attract the Call of Duty crowd.

Mikeyfell:

ZZoMBiE13:

Only if they aren't wearing their tinfoil hat.

Kidding aside:
Fair enough, I can't read minds. And if I weren't enjoying a game I certainly wouldn't keep playing it either. But I started on NIGHTMARE where the timer is not a token element at all, so there is that. It was tough enough that I had to drop down to the standard mode just to get my bearings. Kept dying in the streets unmourned and unloved. I've also only played it solo, so I can't comment on your experience with Kinect. that sounds crappy to have to listen to.

I wouldn't want to spoil anything, so I'll keep quiet about the story. Except to say that by the end it felt fully Capcom at it's finest(silliest) to me. And I am nothing if not self aware that I am a Dead Rising fanboy so it's hard to be objective.

I feel it's a sad day for Dead Rising when the only thing mentioned in this review that interested me was the mention of an earnest and helpful protagonist.

Don't get me wrong, slapping zombies about with a kayak paddle? Great fun, 10/10, would fruitlessly slap again. But there's... how to put it? A distinct lack of liveliness with DR3, no pun intended. Previous Dead Rising games bordered on the pleasantly colorful and the enjoyably stupid (re: slapping zombies with kayak paddles), and DR3 seems to be missing out on that same blithe, carefree catharsis.

Or maybe I'm just missing the pleasantly brainless glee of Off The Record again.

ZZoMBiE13:

Mikeyfell:

ZZoMBiE13:

Only if they aren't wearing their tinfoil hat.

Kidding aside:
Fair enough, I can't read minds. And if I weren't enjoying a game I certainly wouldn't keep playing it either. But I started on NIGHTMARE where the timer is not a token element at all, so there is that. It was tough enough that I had to drop down to the standard mode just to get my bearings. Kept dying in the streets unmourned and unloved. I've also only played it solo, so I can't comment on your experience with Kinect. that sounds crappy to have to listen to.

I wouldn't want to spoil anything, so I'll keep quiet about the story. Except to say that by the end it felt fully Capcom at it's finest(silliest) to me. And I am nothing if not self aware that I am a Dead Rising fanboy so it's hard to be objective.

Next time I get a chance to play it I'll try Nightmare mode, but standard mode just didn't do it for me in the slightest

I'm just glad I picked Ryse: Son of Rome over this.

Sure it isn't amazing, but at least it looks cool.

SkarKrow:

ZOMBIES WHOO! Said nobody but Strazdas

Your not letting that go are you?

Yes, i like zombies. I like zombie movies, i like zombie games. I want more zombie games. Deal with it.

thaluikhain:

Aw, you've pre-empted a badly thought out attempt at satire I was working on...

You know me too well....

putowtin:
Wow another zombie game.....
don't they know we're sick of them already!?!

No we are not. You are sick of them.

Clovus:

putowtin:

Nah, I won't be sick of them until someone finally produces the dream zombie survival-'em-up sandbox game that everyone's always wanted. We keep getting real close (DayZ and a few other indie titles), but never quite get there.

I don't want a story or even multiplayer. I just want to survive in a zombie apocalypse for as long as I can in an FPS game.

The game you are looking for is called 7 days to die

Just what I thought this franchise is dead, it didn't raised the wacky colorful humor line Dead Rising 2 had going on.

canadamus_prime:

Evonisia:

canadamus_prime:

Well it is kinda. But much less so than Dead Rising 2 was. Though really I don't see how Nick wanting to help people is countered by his rampant slaying of Zombies. Nick's not stupid, he knows that the Zombies can't be saved. It's nowhere near as bad as Chuck having sympathies with C.U.R.E but then he immediately goes out and destroys the Zombies (some of which are C.U.R.E members).

Edit: The Mechanic thing is an example, too. I'd say it's pretty much the only example and it's only limited to the weapon combinations. I doubt a mechanic can just look at two cars and go "yep, I'll know how to blend them together".

Ok perhaps I wasn't clear. I haven't played Dead Rising 3 (or indeed any of the Dead Rising games) I was referring specifically to the part of the video where Yahtzee describes the protagonist (Nick?) as some super nice guy who in gameplay gleefully mows down zombies, which Yahtzee himself describes as disingenuous correction: incongruous.

Well it all depends on how he views the Zombies honestly. Zombies are a lethal threat who show no sign of emotion, and they're just the husks of the people they once where. Nick's character is that he wants to help people out and doesn't want to let anybody down (even helping psychopaths before being forced to fight them and/or after fighting them). If we assume Nick thinks that the Zombies are savable then yes, it would be incongruous. However he never actually brings up his own opinion on the Zombies. He wants to help those who take Zombrex to prevent reanimation but beyond that, nothing.

I brought up C.U.R.E and Dead Rising 2 for that reason. C.U.R.E is Citizens for Undead Rights and Equality (yeah, hence why I said Dead Rising 3's writing wasn't that dumb in my first post), and protagonist Chuck mentions that he went to one of their meetings. He also has sympathies with the organisation. But in gameplay he runs around chopping Zombies to bits, some of which were C.U.R.E members in life (they wield C.U.R.E signs). That is incongruous.

cloveis:
2 XBOX exclusives back to back favouritism? hopefully not wouldnt mind but they are both extreamly bad games which can be revealed to anyone with half a brain even without yahtzee's unique reveiwing methodreview contrast or resogun next please

He brings up in the video that he has yet to get a PS4 because of how hard it is to get one in Australia.

Strazdas:

Clovus:

putowtin:

Nah, I won't be sick of them until someone finally produces the dream zombie survival-'em-up sandbox game that everyone's always wanted. We keep getting real close (DayZ and a few other indie titles), but never quite get there.

I don't want a story or even multiplayer. I just want to survive in a zombie apocalypse for as long as I can in an FPS game.

It certainly looks interesting, but seems even wonkier than DayZ. I'm thinking of more of a game based on scavenging stuff, rather than crafting and minecraft style digging. It certainly looks fun, but I don't think it's exactly what I want. I want something more realistic, I guess.

Something that is actual a good FPS too. The shooting in 7 Days looks pretty goofy. Either way, I'll be following it's developement.

Another great video, thank you! I really appreciate it because the humorous biting cynicism helps me get through the week : ) If no one made fun of what is wrong with so many games then they would all likely be rated 8.5 - 10 all day long lol

So, yes human pyramid motorcycling should be mandatory in all multiplayer games that have any two wheeled vehicles, yes even a Segway or even that stroller with the wheels behind the stampy legs.

I also agree we need something other than zombies to shoot at. Have a giant internet wide suggestion box, maybe we can come up with a different target.

Is Yahtzee timing these reviews with the marketing pushes? Ryse ad before the Ryse review last week and a DR3 ad before the DR3 review this week.

Clovus:

Strazdas:

Clovus:

It certainly looks interesting, but seems even wonkier than DayZ. I'm thinking of more of a game based on scavenging stuff, rather than crafting and minecraft style digging. It certainly looks fun, but I don't think it's exactly what I want. I want something more realistic, I guess.

Something that is actual a good FPS too. The shooting in 7 Days looks pretty goofy. Either way, I'll be following it's developement.

It has a lot of scavenging in it. Though everyone has different ideas of what they want from a game. I do have a game that hasnt been done before (funnily enough the closest anyone came was True Crime NYC, a pretty bad game) that i would love to see, but i dont think its realistic yet.
7 days seems to be a blend between DayZ and Minecraft, with zombies being able to destroy your baricades (sometime i found always lacking in games where you need to survive. so you build a dirt wall in minecraft and your safe. sigh.)

Doctor Proctor:
You know Yahtzee, with the XBox One you could plug the console you had to remove from your TV in through it's pass through HDMI port. Or you could do it with you cable box, 360, PS3 or whatever else you have lying around. =)

Except he couldn't, because he lives in Australia, which uses a 50Hz video standard, which is incompatible with the Xbone's video input feature.

Isn't that the magic tardis weapon locker from Far Cry 3?

ah boulder punching...the pinnacle of gaming as a whole :D

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or