Respect Your Gamer

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm a fan of Paradox, and this article resonates extremely well with a lot of my personal ideals on how the game industry should run. So well done. It's a shame that I'm just not smart enough to play a lot of your games. It's a good thing that "losing" is fun in Crusader Kings II, because I sure as hell can't do anything else.

Realitycrash:

Bold statement. Might work for a smaller company, but how do you expect to sell that to your shareholders? Most which have very little idea how gaming and the gaming community works and will most likely see it as "letting the terrorists win".

You could sell it to shareholders by showing them the evidence that displays how the money being spent to combat piracy is lost capital. The big companies know that anti-piracy techniques don't work and have admitted as such. I think the shareholders know this too by now. It's no secret.

As some have already replied here..

The amount of DLC for CK2 is a lot, but they are all optional. We've also added multiple-dlc's-worth of content into free patches, that are available for everyone.

As one thing I forgot to mention in the article, is that what type of gamer I am myself.. For games like World of Warcraft I can spend lots of money on cosmetic stuff like a sparkling horse, but in Candy Crush Saga, I refuse to pay a single dime, as I want to beat the game without using paid-cheats.

Thats the philosophy as a gamer I want to add in to how to I make games.. DLC's should be optional, and make you feel you get something for it, not as a way to "level quicker" or "go past a paywall".

JohanAnderssonPDX:
As some have already replied here..

The amount of DLC for CK2 is a lot, but they are all optional. We've also added multiple-dlc's-worth of content into free patches, that are available for everyone.

As one thing I forgot to mention in the article, is that what type of gamer I am myself.. For games like World of Warcraft I can spend lots of money on cosmetic stuff like a sparkling horse, but in Candy Crush Saga, I refuse to pay a single dime, as I want to beat the game without using paid-cheats.

Thats the philosophy as a gamer I want to add in to how to I make games.. DLC's should be optional, and make you feel you get something for it, not as a way to "level quicker" or "go past a paywall".

I don't think the amount of DLC's being released is wrong, but I understand where people who do think so are coming from. It's easy to get overwhelmed by the cheer amount of choice. I think this isn't a problem with the DLC's, but rather with the way they are presented on the store page. DLC categories would go a long way, for example, dividing them between songs/cosmetics/gameplay.

One thing don't agree with is other games like Victoria 2 being neglected in favour of the more popular Crusader Kings 2 and EU4. It's kind of sad seeing new content being released for those games, while the economy in Victoria 2 is still broken, and the A.I still has some major issues.

Something PGI needed to learn 2 years ago when they painted a pretty picture of MWO to come.

The same car, all the bells and whistles, everything. For free. Sounds too good to be true, right? Sure he looks a little sketchy, and he said straight up that it's stolen, but it's free. I won't even see the effect in my game, I regularly play long and drawn out MP games with house rules out the wazoo neatly enforced by a simple to maintain and install 22mb mod I might add and that aside

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here