Escapist News Now: PS4 Projected to Win Console War

PS4 Projected to Win Console War

According to DFC Intelligence, a video game market research group, they predict that the PS4 will win in sales in the new console war over Xbox One, but it will likely never catch the success of the PS2 or the Wii which are both over 100 million units sold. The report states, "The Playstation 2 and Wii went on to be the best selling console systems ever. DFC Intelligence does not believe that the Playstation 4 will surpass those systems but reiterates its forecast that the PS4 will be the number one system of this generation."

Watch Video

Oh for "BOB"'s sake, these things haven't even been out for a MONTH! Can't we lay off this shit until at least a year has passed?

Apparently not. That and the new consoles (ps4/xbox1) haven't even released a set of game unique to them yet. As far as I know there isn't a game out yet that you can't buy on last gen consoles. So right now, who wins? Nobody.

Seieko Pherdo:
As far as I know there isn't a game out yet that you can't buy on last gen consoles.

What? Killzone, Knack, ryse and forza 5 are all PS4 and xbone only.

As for not out selling PS2 and wii, I dunno ... PS2 and wii are huge but there are always more people becoming gamers, although to get them figures I think they will have to get the casuals interested ... make the next big thing on PS4 and it will reach those lofty goals.

With Sony embracing indies and the last big thing was minecraft, I think it could well happen.

there are supposedly A LOT of games (and ports) in development...figures in the hundreds are being thrown around...sony have been dishing out free dev kits aplenty...

the PS2 had a staggered release date.

in japan, at launch, it had virtually no games of note...come the US/EU launch a full 6 months later it had some that are still talked about today...

simply put it's too soon to make a call.

i want to see at least the next list after the launch titles before i call it.

but i do think sony have the greater momentum and this new consoles PC architecture (from what i've read) is supposedly making people interested in developing for it very easy...

the Planetside 2 devs for example (a PC F2P FPS MMO) supposedly had a near bug free beta up and running just 3 months after receiving their dev kits.

i would be a liar if it didn't say i do think there is a chance we might well see something akin to a "next gen PS2" with the PS4...

this is not an anti Microsoft statement but for sony, with where they are (in trouble), the product they have (a powerful, easy to code for consumer form factor PC), and how they are going about things (respectfully deferring to consumers but also with real drive to get back on a solid footing especially via engaging with developers)...the stars seem to potentially be aligning...

just maybe...this could be great.

Ok...But...what do they win? I've always been curious about this, and I think South Park's interpretation of it was really spot on. Who cares? What do they win? Are we all so jaded to just enjoying our toys that we have to have "The Winner" of some fictional competition about who can piss the furthest between two machines?(Granted, I hate Xbones Guts, but that's besides the point.)

What an odd forecast. I don't think anyone would be surprised that PS4 would be expected to sell more consoles (assuming they can outsupply Xbox One) but to say that neither console will exceed 100 million sold? It was a massive launch for both companies, both of their previous gen consoles sold in excess of 80 million units, surely the only factor will be whether the life cycle for the console will last long enough to sell 100 million. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't hang around long enough to break that mark when the last generation persevered through a significant recession period.

I think we'll see Nintendo regroup after this console and come out with something really good. It's what they really need to do or give me better incentives to buy the WiiU. Out of the two other contenders, PS4 has my eye but I'm not going to be in the market for a console for at least 3 years. We'll see what changes in that time.

smithy_2045:
What an odd forecast. I don't think anyone would be surprised that PS4 would be expected to sell more consoles (assuming they can outsupply Xbox One) but to say that neither console will exceed 100 million sold? It was a massive launch for both companies, both of their previous gen consoles sold in excess of 80 million units, surely the only factor will be whether the life cycle for the console will last long enough to sell 100 million. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't hang around long enough to break that mark when the last generation persevered through a significant recession period.

In fairness, Xbox had a much better launch than PS3 and ended up slightly behind them. Meanwhile, the Wii shot ahead and then droped off pretty fast. It basically won the generation by having an amazing lead. They would be anticipating that this surge won't last for any number of reasons.

And they still could be wrong.

Ninmecu:
Ok...But...what do they win?

Consoles with more users generally get better deals, support, exclusives.

Generally.

Sleekit:

in japan, at launch, it had virtually no games of note...come the US/EU launch a full 6 months later it had some that are still talked about today...

Considering how well it sold in Japan at launch, arguing that the lack of games for the PS2 is in any way significant doesn't work. At best, you can argue anything can happen, but that's always a factor. Nintendo could release the best game ever, Sony could go belly up, and the Xbone could develop self-awareness and tart purchasing more copies of itself to build an army of cloud-based doomboxes.

Predictions like these are best estimates and used for nearer future strategies and marketing plans with a nod to the long-term. Their predictions aren't all that crazy, but neither are they necessarily a big deal.

But seriously, you don't think they considered the angles you suggested? They not only have years in the business of analytics, but they carry with them a strong reputation. This isn't a fly by night operation or the like. They may not be infallible, but they had a solid pedigree.

I really hope the Xbone takes a beating ... having it "just a little behind" would be sad.

After the what they tried to pull ... all the "abuse" they try to get away with, padding their pockets at our expense - e.g. ads on dashboard, micro transactions up the wazoo ...

I'm afraid consumers as a group really are that stupid, sending a message to Sony and Nintendo (just about every company really) that they can gouge us for all we are worth with no lasting consequences.

There's over a 50 million console gap between the Ps2's sales and the Wii's. That is over TWICE the gap between the Ps3 and the Wii.

Redlin5:
I think we'll see Nintendo regroup after this console and come out with something really good. It's what they really need to do or give me better incentives to buy the WiiU. Out of the two other contenders, PS4 has my eye but I'm not going to be in the market for a console for at least 3 years. We'll see what changes in that time.

And in 3 or 4 years time, Nintendo might actually have a new console. Depends. I wonder how long they'll support the Wii U. It's financially foolish to just drop it outright, but I am curious to know how long its lifespan will be.

Begun, this console war has.

While I think the PS4 will be the victor of this generation, I think they're predicting a little too early. Seriously we don't know if four years down the line the PS4 will be dropping in sales. The biggest reason that the Xbox 360 didn't come second last gen was because it lost it's exclusives as the years went by.

Toadfish1:
There's over a 50 million console gap between the Ps2's sales and the Wii's. That is over TWICE the gap between the Ps3 and the Wii.

And yet the Wii is still the second most successful console of all time as well as being the second console to reach sales of over 100 million. It just shows the lasting impact of the PS2, if anything.

How is this news? People are saying that they think that the PS4 might sell more consoles than the XBox One probably. This a slow week or what, because I'm pretty sure that pointless conjecture is what we go to forums for, not a news video.

Also, love how she brings up the Wii U only to state it has no chance and laughing the whole time, then immediately tries to insulate herself from critique/flaming with the Dreamcast joke. Classy.

Evonisia:
While I think the PS4 will be the victor of this generation, I think they're predicting a little too early. Seriously we don't know if four years down the line the PS4 will be dropping in sales. The biggest reason that the Xbox 360 didn't come second last gen was because it lost it's exclusives as the years went by.

Toadfish1:

And yet the Wii is still the second most successful console of all time as well as being the second console to reach sales of over 100 million. It just shows the lasting impact of the PS2, if anything.

The playstation 1 rolls by to say hello :) which, according to several statistics websites has a couple of million sales over the wii and holds the number two spot in overall home console sales and second to reach the 100 million mark. Or well actually, it would be the first to hit the 100 million mark.

In the end it is just sensational garbage, PC gaming is and will be the place to be. To reference Yahtzee, talking about which console will be best for next gen gaming is an oxymoron as it is PC. All these consoles are, are over priced PCs anyway. For the money you spend on them you can have your PC up to date for the next 6 years.

TBH, If I were to buy a console at all this gen I think it would be the WiiU. I can play all the big AAA releases on my PC and enjoy smoother framerates, higher resolutions, and better textures, while (usually) having a choice of control schemes instead of being forced to use only a console controller. The WiiU at least is different, and will have different games you can't get anywhere else.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here