The Walking Dead Season Two: All That Remains Review

My feels man. My feels won't be able to take it ;_;

The first episode was exceptional so i would expect this one to be good too. Telltale are masters of storytelling.

Ima try and hold off buying Season 2 until they are all out 'cause I can't stand the suspense of waiting between chapters.

Eric the Orange:
Ima try and hold off buying Season 2 until they are all out 'cause I can't stand the suspense of waiting between chapters.

I'm doing the same but because I'm sick of Telltales release schedule for episodes. It's not the fact they take so long but rather that they keep the release date nebulous as long as possible. I waited patiently with Monkey Island and the first The Walking Dead game but I have The Wolf Among Us and I'm pissed episode two isn't until next year.

So, this just in. The Walking Dead is still excellent. Good to hear. Glad to see their talent isn't drying up anytime soon. Though between Telltale and Valve I'm starting to wonder if there's an unwritten rule that universally loved video game companies are forced to have fucked up release dates.

Didn't read anything but the last line and the rating. Not wanting to spoil this for myself at all. I didn't for Season 1, which I got just after episode 4 was released, so I was pretty lucky. I'll probably pick this up on Christmas since I have the 27th booked off, so I have a 5-day weekend to catch up on everything I've been missing. This, I think, is the top of my list.

I'm with the others on being annoyed about the 'no idea when the next episode is coming' thing... If they could give dates, I'd be happy.

Having just finished episode 1 (I got it for my birthday last weekend), I have to agree with Jim. It seemed a bit shorter than the season one episodes, but feels all over the place again.

IndomitableSam:
Didn't read anything but the last line and the rating. Not wanting to spoil this for myself at all. I didn't for Season 1, which I got just after episode 4 was released, so I was pretty lucky. I'll probably pick this up on Christmas since I have the 27th booked off, so I have a 5-day weekend to catch up on everything I've been missing. This, I think, is the top of my list.

I'm with the others on being annoyed about the 'no idea when the next episode is coming' thing... If they could give dates, I'd be happy.

He didn't spoil anything. In fact I just finished the first episode of season 2 and I'd say that Jim described the game damn near perfectly without giving any spoilers.

I hate episodic gaming because of the waiting but the 95 minutes I spent so far has already been worth the money. I can't wait for the rest to come.

Just finished it. About 1 1/2-2 hours, still amazing. The QTE's aren't much of a problem, but the red font makes it a bit hard to see with the orangey-brown colour palette. It does carry over choices from the previous season keep in mind, doesn't seem to be to an extreme extent so far but you may want to play Season 1 before you jump into this one.

IndomitableSam:

This would probably result in a lot of disapointment when they cannot finish it on time... After playing Episode 1 I am sure Telltale Games are absolute perfectionists! The stories in their games really surpasses almost all games I ever played before. The "gaming" part is still quite low, but the TWD games never needed that so far.

Not getting it until full season's out but I'm glad it's got a strong start at least.

Why do they do episodic games and not let me buy the episodes separately...

[quote="Phrozenflame500" post="6.836993.20518994"]Just finished it. About 1 1/2-2 hours, still amazing. The QTE's aren't much of a problem, but the red font makes it a bit hard to see with the orangey-brown colour palette. It does carry over choices from the previous season keep in mind, doesn't seem to be to an extreme extent so far but you may want to play Season 1 before you jump into this one.

Odd, my choices screen at the end only showed 3, the first 2, a different 3rd. I hope this doesn't affect later episoes though :( (though I made the same choices as you)

EDIT: Damn, meant to quote Phrozenflame500, my bad

Tentheria:
[quote="Phrozenflame500" post="6.836993.20518994"]Just finished it. About 1 1/2-2 hours, still amazing. The QTE's aren't much of a problem, but the red font makes it a bit hard to see with the orangey-brown colour palette. It does carry over choices from the previous season keep in mind, doesn't seem to be to an extreme extent so far but you may want to play Season 1 before you jump into this one.

Odd, my choices screen at the end only showed 3, the first 2, a different 3rd. I hope this doesn't affect later episoes though :( (though I made the same choices as you)

EDIT: Damn, meant to quote Phrozenflame500, my bad
EDIT2 Double posted now. God I suck at forums..

Wish I could play it. Seems most anyone who bought it from GMG or directly from Telltales site themselves are unable to access the game at all due to authentication server issues. Half tempted to just download the pirated version so I can actually play it while Telltale fixes their servers.

Good to see that its as excellent as I'd hoped for though! Can't wait to be with Clem again.

Tentheria:

Same thing happened to me, but after I restarted the game and went to "My Choices" the expanded screen showed up. Odd.

Phrozenflame500:
Just finished it. About 1 1/2-2 hours, still amazing. The QTE's aren't much of a problem, but the red font makes it a bit hard to see with the orangey-brown colour palette. It does carry over choices from the previous season keep in mind, doesn't seem to be to an extreme extent so far but you may want to play Season 1 before you jump into this one.

In response to the last section in your spoiler tag:

Phrozenflame500:

Tentheria:

Same thing happened to me, but after I restarted the game and went to "My Choices" the expanded screen showed up. Odd.

Yeah just checked, it took :) It worries me slightly that some choices have such high percentages. Didn't Telltale once day they saw this as bad since it meant one choice was inherently 'better' or more 'right' and they wanted to avoid that?

Tentheria:
Yeah just checked, it took :) It worries me slightly that some choices have such high percentages. Didn't Telltale once day they saw this as bad since it meant one choice was inherently 'better' or more 'right' and they wanted to avoid that?

If that's true they pretty much stuffed it up this time. I just checked (to see if all options were visible now [I had 4 before]), and 3 of the 5 choices had 93+% of the people choosing them.

Extremely impressive indeed. I actually just played through the first season in the past few days and the series has simply blown me out of the water. Never thought I'd enjoy this kind of interactive movie game this much.
It also totally leaves the TV series behind in terms of impact and gets back to the vibe of the comics.

Thought that the first episode was going to follow a common cliché for just a minute, but then it hit you in the face with a big NOPE, made my chest stir :p Just gonna say that CoD could learn some from this!

Can't wait to find out what happens next.

I held off reading this until I could finish playing it to keep my opinion on the game purely my own without unintentionally mixing in ideas of other reviews...

... that said, I really do like where this episode is going. If my game hadn't crashed at one point for no real reason, I might have left with a slightly more positive outlook, but it didn't affect my overall opinion that much. It was still a fun and gut-wrenching experience. There's one moment that reminds me of that scene in Heavy Rain where the guy is trying to cut his pinky off (though I'd argue the scene from Walking Dead is a little heavier given that this is Clementine going through it). I was having trouble getting through that scene.

Overall opinion? Still more entertaining and engaging than the TV show. :D

Phrozenflame500:

As someone who has just run through this game this review is pretty accurate, Tell Tale is off to a good start and I would highly recommend it. Word of warning though: this game does not pull any punches. Season 2 has far shaken me up more in its hour and a half of gameplay than than most of Season 1, or three whole seasons of the TV show for that matter.

It was certainly good, but I was a little annoyed at some of the Feels direction. A little too frantic to up the stakes from Season One.

Still have to play the first season, I am not a fan of the whole episodic format though (it bugged me with Final Fantasy IV The After Years as well)

Want to check it out though, will look for sales.

Oh man, I had to fetch this as soon as it came out. After having played it, I can say that this game's bark is definitely not worse than its bite. That one particular scene had me in stitches.

Phrozenflame500:
Don't do it TellTale, you know we don't want you to pull some bullshit explanation on how he magicked through ten thousand zombies out of your ass.

Oh yes, Kenny walking away at a somewhat brisk pace is a real stretch.

Once I finally got around to playing season 1 I was very, very glad I waited for all of the episodes to be released. I will do so again but will most likely buy season 2 the day the final part comes out. Probably do the same with Wolf Among Us.....as well as all the other recently announced Tell Tale Games.

Scrumpmonkey:
My feels man. My feels won't be able to take it ;_;

The first episode was exceptional so i would expect this one to be good too. Telltale are masters of storytelling.

I feel the wait between episodes actually makes the experience better. But that's just me.

BanicRhys:
Oh man, I had to fetch this as soon as it came out. After having played it, I can say that this game's bark is definitely not worse than its bite. That one particular scene had me in stitches.

Phrozenflame500:
Don't do it TellTale, you know we don't want you to pull some bullshit explanation on how he magicked through ten thousand zombies out of your ass.

Oh yes, Kenny walking away at a somewhat brisk pace is a real stretch.

Hahaha that pun goes perfectly with the avatar :P

The story is so brutal that I considered giving up twice. It shows the human condition at its absolute worst, while reminding that there are still good people in its world. Because of that, this episode made me feel hatred more than any other: more than the cold loathing for the meanest character in (Season 1's) Episode 5 and even more than the boiling disliking for the meanest character in Episode 2.

Too many feels. Too many feels. Oh, it's already left a mark on my "heart".

Man, it is going be tough having to wait for each new episode to come out this time around. One advantage of being a late adopter for season one being that you could just play more or less right after the other.

As for the people in the house:

scarab7:

Eric the Orange:

I'm doing the same but because I'm sick of Telltales release schedule for episodes. It's not the fact they take so long but rather that they keep the release date nebulous as long as possible. I waited patiently with Monkey Island and the first The Walking Dead game but I have The Wolf Among Us and I'm pissed episode two isn't until next year.

I think there's good news for Wolf Among Us fans. Almost two months ago Telltale did an AMA on Reddit and they said they were working on Episode 1 and 2 of the Walking Dead and episode 3 and 4 of the Wolf Among Us. So they might just release the Wolf Among us episodes in Rapid Fire Succession to make up for the wait, which would be cool because I want to play that game. Releasing each episode a month later wouldn't be too implausible in that respect. There was barely a month inbetween episode 4 and 5 of the Walking Dead last season so it seems like something they're doing to get both games done before the summer hits.

Phrozenflame500:

It's definitely Kenny and it's not too implausible. Both situations he can be in were dangerous but not inescapable.

No, that wouldn't make sense. In the alley scene, we clearly see zombies lining up on Kenny's back right before he shoots Ben.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here