Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Ski / Snowboard Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Ski / Snowboard Games

Put on your parka for today's episode where Lisa takes us down the slopes of gaming.

Watch Video

I remember Ski Free. I remember it back when it first came out. You can't ever leave the course. Sometimes you can get enough speed to get past the first two Yetis. Never the third.

Of course, a quick Google search will turn up a few playable versions. Enjoy.

vxicepickxv:
I remember Ski Free. I remember it back when it first came out. You can't ever leave the course. Sometimes you can get enough speed to get past the first two Yetis. Never the third.

I had completely forgotten that game until seeing this, it came pre-installed on my Dad's work laptop and I remember playing it when I very, very young. If I remember rightly there was a key you could hold down that upped the speed, let you outrun Yetis until you run into something.

And the latest SSX is the best in the series? SSX had more problems than you could shake a stick at. Starting with the lack of singleplayer and ending with the lack of multiplayer. (Yaaay, ghost races)

SSX3 was when the series peaked. Although we are massively overdue a decent snowboarding/ski game, all we've got is Early Access Steam games in the pipeline currently. (At least that I know of, feel free to prove me wrong!)

I think ski.exe was the one application that taught me what '.exe' means in Windows.

Whaaaat? No Snowboard Kids 2?!?!?! :(

For shame! That was a pivotal part of my childhood!

Ignatz_Zwakh:
Whaaaat? No Snowboard Kids 2?!?!?! :(

For shame! That was a pivotal part of my childhood!

This guy knows his games. SNowboard Mario Kart? Yes please. It was fun, it was wacky and it was f***ing Mario Kart with snowboards. Fun beyond words.

Aah, 1080. My favorite was the mile long ski-jump into the stadium.

I put hundreds of hours into SSX Tricky on the PS2. Me and my friend played it so much we would go head to head and rack up hundreds of millions in points. I absolutely loved that game. SSX has never been the same since, in my opinion.

Also, they used Run DMC's song as the game's theme. Bonus points!

Perfect fit for the season. :) Thanks Lisa.

Also; it's neat to learn that even cats can't resist having some of our addictive junkfood.
Don't let him have too much! ;3

I like how this is "in honor of the winter season" when over here things have been covered in snow for roughly two months already. Really takes me out of my world.

Just so happy to see Ski.exe get love! That was my immediate pick for best ever when i saw the title of this weeks episode. And had forgotten about 1080 on the 64.. that was one damn cool game.

What about Horace goes skiing for the ZX Spectrum!?

So....Lisa...have to give you major props for this list. Having Ski Free as #1 made me supremely impressed. Although, I do agree with previous posters that the most current SSX is not the best in the series, it is awesome, don't get me wrong, but SSX Tricky IMO was the best installment.

I was hoping Ski Free would be featured from the moment I saw the title of this episode. I played it a lot as a kid, and I still remember the pride I felt the few times I avoided the monster. But, I also remember laughing every time I saw the skier get eaten too. A true win-win situation for me.

SSX3 is easily the best ski/snowboard game ever created. The most recent SSX is still pretty good though.

Oh, and CoolBoarders was trash. I didn't even own an N64 and I agree 1080 was better.

SSX3 was the first game I got on my Xbox, I believe. One of my favorites.

Klaflefalumpf:

vxicepickxv:

I had completely forgotten that game until seeing this, it came pre-installed on my Dad's work laptop and I remember playing it when I very, very young. If I remember rightly there was a key you could hold down that upped the speed, let you outrun Yetis until you run into something.

Yes the F key
but they were bastards and never told you about it
Also did not have the option on Macintosh port or Gameboy

I watched just to hear about how awesome snowboard kids for N64 was, I am very disappointed :(

What about Amped? Think it was Amped, the one with all the cut scenes filmed using toys and action figures etc. That game was fun.

I loved 1080 Snowboarding on the N64. Mostly because I could play as a Canadian. Ricky Winterboard I believe the character's name was.

This vid remined me of an old game I use to play on my Commodore called Ski or Die, I loved that game.
Anybody remember that?

Man, I wanted to post about the possibility of outrunning the yeti.

Ski Free! I loved that game as a kid, even though the yeti always ate me. In fact, I thought the yeti WAS the end of the course. I didn't know there was a finish line.

SonOfVoorhees:
What about Amped? Think it was Amped, the one with all the cut scenes filmed using toys and action figures etc. That game was fun.

Amped 3, a 360 release game. It was bloody brilliant, the cut-scenes alone were part hilarious, part genius.

I totally disagree, none of these games are any good. I love to ski, but there has never been a decent representation of skiing on any video game system.

P.S. Snowboarders are 95% posers, 5% awesome. If you don't know which you are you're in the 95%.

Ski Free!

One of my primary school classes computer had it pre-installed, eventually the teacher had to set up a system due to everyone wanting to play.

Whenever I watch a top 5, I prepare in my head what I would select and watch as the list comes nowhere close. This episode, if you replaced the mobile game with Coolboarder 2, all 5 would have been a match.

Ahhh...i just had my first nostalgia moment of this show...I played Ski Free as a kid...and that Yeti was truly terrifying...I was like 6 at the time and had no clue what the Yeti...it was just some monster that came and ate you...and it scared the piss out of me...thanks for the memories/nightmares Lisa

I find your lack of Alpine Racer disturbing.

The AI may have been cheating in single player, but I'm undefeated in multiplayer.

SonOfVoorhees:

That was Amped 3, yeah. The first two were unforgivingly difficult. Loved Amped 3 though. When you have a supporting character named WeinerBoy, you're in for a good time.

All throughout the list I was yelling 'SKIFREE!?!' at my computer screen, good to see you got it right.

SSX should have been way higher than that, I think. And maybe replaced with SSX3. Still, I'm glad it's even mentioned. SSX is the only sports/racing game I can actually stand and keep playing.

I've played SSX and 1080, but my favourite snowboarding game would have to be Amped 2 on the Xbox. Spent soo much time on that game.

I would have bumped SSX on to number 2 on the list. And I would say that the best in the series goes to SSX Tricky. I love the first SSX, loved SSX Tricky even more, was open to SSX 3 but it grew on me, meh to SSX On Tour, and then loved the 2012 reboot. But I missed the old courses from 1 and Tricky...

But Ski Free...well picked for the number 1 spot.

I remember being particularly fond of the skiing minigame in the Golden Saucer of FFVII. Frankly, I've never been able to pull the trigger on paying for a game centered around nothing but skiing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here