Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards 2013 - The Last of Us

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Jimquisition Awards 2013 - The Last of Us

Hopefully this one will "click" with you.

Watch Video

Please be Metro Last Light tommorow.Please be Metro last light tommorow. Oh, who am I kidding. Of course it won't be.

I guess GTA V is Jim's game of the year. Good choice, I loved it.

I don't know if it counts, but didn't Jim gives The Stanley Parable a 10/10 on Destructoid? More than he gave Bioshock Infinite AND The Last Of Us? That's my guess for his last one (and it deserves it).

Anyways, no complaints with the list so far (though I'm not a mobile gamer, so I can't talk for that fishing game). The Last of Us definitely was one of the best games this year to me, even if it's not my #1 (which at this point of time might be Rayman Legends but I still have a few on my "to play" list like Tomb Raider, Blood Dragon, Gone Home, and I have yet to finish Pokemon X). Total agreement with all Jim said here.

A bit of a missed opportunity to put The Last Of Us last

Oh well, I agree with the choice either way

I think the number 1 game is going to be The Stanley Parable, if Jim's review of it is anything to go by.

"People who don't share my opinions are lying."

Jim.

Stop that, you keep doing it.

So much praise for The Last of Us from critics, yet never a syllable uttered regarding the stunning musical score. :'(

I'm always a bit sad to see this part of the game overlooked so much, because for me the game would probably be 30% less effective without it. It's that good. And that while it's the guy's first video game soundtrack.

You missed the opportunity to have this game as your last entry, "the last of us", get it? YOU MISSED IT, JIM O<

Anyhoo, I concur. The ending to The Last of Us is absolutely beautiful because even if you don't want it to end there, you know it has to end there and rightfully so.

Agreed with everything you said about The Last of Us. It was almost a perfect game from where I am standing. The final level was a little too shooty perhaps, but to be fair given it being the climax, and where it was set, it did fit within the game overall.

It sucks a lot of the mystery and intrigue out of the videos when the name of the game that won is in the title of the video.

And I still can't believe people complain about the ending. It was amazing, the ending was so good I immediately forgot about all the petty little annoyances in the gameplay. The story told in Last of Us was incredible and worth an award in and of it's self.

And then on my second playthrough I... remembered all the petty little annoyances in the gameplay... And then I stopped playing...

Paper's Please! Paper's Please! Paper's Please! Paper's Please!

1nfinite_Cros5:
I think the number 1 game is going to be The Stanley Parable, if Jim's review of it is anything to go by.

I dunno, he seemed pretty excited about Saints Row IV

Legion:
Agreed with everything you said about The Last of Us. It was almost a perfect game from where I am standing. The final level was a little too shooty perhaps, but to be fair given it being the climax, and where it was set, it did fit within the game overall.

I find myself wanting to know what the intro music to these awards are, anybody know? The credits at the end have the normal song listed, but not this one.

It's shown on the very last few seconds of each video. Demigod by Cryogenic Echelon. I have a Youtube video of the song playing in the background as I type this...

The_Darkness:

Legion:

I find myself wanting to know what the intro music to these awards are, anybody know? The credits at the end have the normal song listed, but not this one.

It's shown on the very last few seconds of each video. Demigod by Cryogenic Echelon. I have a Youtube video of the song playing in the background as I type this...

Ah, thanks. I assumed it wasn't on there as it wasn't listed with the other song.

EDIT: Can't find it on iTunes or Amazon... but the video uploaded on Youtube has a lot of people thanking Jim for introducing it to them, which is funny.

Yeah....it was brilliant. While frustrating at parts, especially early on when your weapons are shit, or when fighting other shooty guys...fuck I cant use a gamepad for aiming...it was a bit annoying, but the story and presentation...brilliant.

A beautiful game that managed to have a decent ending as well. Loved it.

bringer of illumination:

Jim.

Not liking it doesn't make it a bad ending. The ending is thematically in tone with the rest of the game, true to the characters, and beautifully executed.

I'm really looking forward to the prequel DLC for it. I hope it's a meaty experience, and not a 10 dollar thing finished in an hour.

Warning! This is a personal opinion.

I hate The Last of Us, not the game itself, and not the developer (despite the fact I can't stand anything they made in 7th gen). I hate what it represent: The idea that a "great" game can have all it's "great" parts being non-interactive. All the "great" part, they are all cutscene, or an equivalent to a cutscene (aka scripted events). And gameplay is standard shooting mechanics and lazy stealth mechanics. The gameplay is not very good, or in other words: Sterling gave a game award to a movie.

Questions to fans of The Last of us:
1: How do the Mechanics interact with the narrative, specifically the theme or the characters?
2: What is the player arc?

I think the game is excelent and deserves all the prizes it gets, However, I really didn't like that ending. It does not make sense. It destroys everything you were building to.

You know the sad thing is I don't own a PS3, and while I have been experiencing the game on a friend's PS3, she's been away at college the last few months, we never got to finish it. Maybe we'll have a chance to when she gets back.

I still think that the ending wouldn't affect me that much (I looked it up, but that's not the point I am making, this is ->) nihilistic media has desensitized me slightly to such endings, also TLoS might've stood out to me more if it wasn't so constantly nihilistic, even in The Walking Dead there were moments of peace, quiet, even humour sometimes, but TLoS just seems like a long, continous slog of negativity*

Nonetheless, I respect Jim's decision as these things are supposed to be highly subjective, so I respect his decisions to stand by his choices.

*At least based on the walkthroughs I have watched so far of it(in terms of theme, not ending)

It's all rendered moot though, the true GoTYs for 2013 are Octodad: Dadliest Catch and Amazing Frog

I'm gonna guess Saints Row for your last one maybe... possibly GTA... wow, I really didn't play much outside my 3DS this year so, I don't have a clue really.

Mcoffey:

bringer of illumination:

Jim.

Not liking it doesn't make it a bad ending. The ending is thematically in tone with the rest of the game, true to the characters, and beautifully executed.

I'm really looking forward to the prequel DLC for it. I hope it's a meaty experience, and not a 10 dollar thing finished in an hour.

I haven't played the game, nor been spoiled for the ending, I have precisely zero opinion about it or the game as a whole.

The only thing I do know, is that if you have to resort to calling people who don't like what you like liars, then your case is unlikely to be as strong as you think it is.

Goliath100:
Warning! This is a personal opinion.

I hate The Last of Us, not the game itself, and not the developer (despite the fact I can't stand anything they made in 7th gen). I hate what it represent: The idea that a "great" game can have all it's "great" parts being non-interactive. All the "great" part, they are all cutscene, or an equivalent to a cutscene. And gameplay is standard shooting mechanics and lazy stealth mechanics. The gameplay is not very good, or in other words: Sterling gave a game award to a movie.

That's what the game represents to you then.

Walking around abandoned houses and observing the history that took place, following the story of Ish, the deer hunt. All of those were not cutscenes.

Akichi Daikashima:
I still think that the ending wouldn't affect me that much now that I know it, nihilistic media has desensitized me slightly to such endings, also TLoS might've stood out to me more if it wasn't so constantly nihilistic, even in The Walking Dead there were moments of peace, quiet, even humour sometimes, but TLoS just seems like a long, continous slog of negativity*

*At least based on the walkthroughs I have watched so far of it(in terms of theme, not ending)

Eh, something might have been lost when watching a let's play, but there are a ton of moments throughout the game that are peaceful, sometimes even beautiful in contrast with the hellish things that Ellie and Joel have to go through. I'm not sure how far you got into the game but humor is occasionally used as well. I would site specific examples, but most of them are spoilertastic, so if you want to know PM me and I'll fill you in.

bringer of illumination:

Mcoffey:

bringer of illumination:

Jim.

I haven't played the game, nor been spoiled for the ending, I have precisely zero opinion about it or the game as a whole.

The only thing I do know, is that if you have to resort to calling people who don't like what you like liars, then your case is unlikely to be as strong as you think it is.

He said people who called the ending bad are lying. Disliking it is different.

Dexter had an objectively bad ending because it was inconsistent, schizophrenic, and poorly plotted.

I disliked the ending of Halo 4, but it worked for the game. It wasn't a badly done ending.

Church185:

Akichi Daikashima:
I still think that the ending wouldn't affect me that much now that I know it, nihilistic media has desensitized me slightly to such endings, also TLoS might've stood out to me more if it wasn't so constantly nihilistic, even in The Walking Dead there were moments of peace, quiet, even humour sometimes, but TLoS just seems like a long, continous slog of negativity*

Eh, something might have been lost when watching a let's play, but there are a ton of moments throughout the game that are peaceful, sometimes even beautiful in contrast with the hellish things that Ellie and Joel have to go through. I'm not sure how far you got into the game but humor is occasionally used as well. I would site specific examples, but most of them are spoilertastic, so if you want to know PM me and I'll fill you in.

Not a let's play, a silent walkthrough, and while yes, the game is sometimes nice, quiet and serene, I still don't think that it weaves in humour or levity as well as it could.

Also, go ahead and PM me about those moments, I am around the bit where:

Casual Shinji:
Walking around abandoned houses and observing the history that took place, following the story of Ish, the deer hunt. All of those were not cutscenes.

No, they go under "equivalent to cutscene", also known as a scripted event.

Goliath100:

Casual Shinji:

No, they go under "equivalent to cutscene", also known as a scripted event.

How so exactly? Because by that definition, every non-sandbox game is a scripted event. Half-Life 2 and the Silent Hill games are a scrited event "equivalent to cutscene" too then, I guess?

Such a shame you choose TLOU.

And it seems you lost the battle and you were forced to put spoilers on the title.

Casual Shinji:
How so exactly? Because by that definition, every non-sandbox game is a scripted event. Half-Life 2 and the Silent Hill games are a scrited event "equivalent to cutscene" too then, I guess?

I don't why they would be any special exception. Why does games? They are both old, and pre-Resident Evil 4.

Brilliant story? Apparently Jim has never seen a zombie survival movie because the story was basically just every cliche from a zombie survival story, thrown in to a big bowl and mixed together. Also, mixing stealth and action can be fun...but only when they're done well. The shooting controls were garbage, even after upgrades, and made the action sections extremely frustrating for me to play. Every time I entered a section where use of guns was required, my fun level immediately dropped to zero. It isn't a bad game. The characters were great and when the game stuck to stealth, it was fantastic, but the shooting sections really brought the game down for me and I can't help feeling like the game was extremely overrated

Flexible game filled with options in combat Jim? Sure, except when the game bends over backwards to try to force you into situations I guess.

Hahaha, loved the GTA V joke, thanks Jim.

This could've been easily been a forty second long video:
15 seconds for the intro
20 seconds for the outro
And 5 seconds for "Yep, it's the the Last of Us"

That way, we could've gotten a defended movie.
---
Also, yeah, not my cup o' tea but I can definitely see why it got this award. Everywhere.

This is absolutely my favorite game of the year. It sticks with me. Something rare for a game to do for so long.

Casual Shinji:
So much praise for The Last of Us from critics, yet never a syllable uttered regarding the stunning musical score. :'(

I'm always a bit sad to see this part of the game overlooked so much, because for me the game would probably be 30% less effective without it. It's that good. And that while it's the guy's first video game soundtrack.

Now that you mention it, it was a great score.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here