Movie Defense Force: Santa Claus

Pages PREV 1 2

Oskuro:
I wonder if Mr.Sterling would accept the suggestion of reviewing the movie Space Truckers... A movie much maligned for the sin of being.... well, Space Truckers.

A movie I like, by the way. This isn't a "let's throw something awful at Jim and see him squirm" kind of suggestion. But more of a "Let's see if the positives (if any) he finds match mine" thing.

That movie has Dennis Hopper in it and it thus unimpeachable.

If Jim is going to defend weird obscure old bullshit he should totally do Ice Pirates.

But then Ice pirates has Ron Pearlman in it. And is thus umimpeachable.

Wow this looks stupid AND AMAZING, totally going to check out the mystery science theater episode where they riff this movie.

King Whurdler:

leviadragon99:
So... this is meant to be insincere praise for the "moral" lessons of the movie at the very least... and yet this isn't an april fools episode... so what was even the point of disingenuously lauding this one then?

Because sometimes people like to tell jokes. Shocking, I know.

and yet this show normally has a point in showing critic/audience disliked movies in a new light, something this departure seems to rather pointlessly avoid. Generally when you build a show around a gimmick and then make an abrupt departure from it, there's some greater purpose to be had, either it being the opposite day that April Fools has become, or provoking some level of thought, the critique of the sense of morality this movie tries to put forward would have worked well on its own in a different show, but here just feels distinctly out of place.

Seracen:
WTH did I just watch....is it still Schlocktober?

Ah Jim...continue to be insane, it is ceaselessly amusing!

You think this is weird try _Santa Claus conquers the Martians_.

tangoprime:

Oskuro:
I wonder if Mr.Sterling would accept the suggestion of reviewing the movie Space Truckers... A movie much maligned for the sin of being.... well, Space Truckers.

A movie I like, by the way. This isn't a "let's throw something awful at Jim and see him squirm" kind of suggestion. But more of a "Let's see if the positives (if any) he finds match mine" thing.

I'll second this one, Dennis Hopper chews the hell out of the scenery in that one. And who can forget cyborg Tywin Lannister's pullcord activated power penis? Exactly. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go watch the shit out of that movie right now, thanks.

I kept mixing that movie up with The Fifth Element for some reason.
Mainly the part that Gary Oldman played.
So... Gary Oldman and Charles Dance merged into some weird, camp, futuristic, pullcord activated penis monstrosity.
Not the worst image to have in your mind, but I can imagine nicer things.

Gosh Jim, did this one really need defending? Everyone knows what a timeless masterpiece this is.

I was hoping that this would be about the 1985 Santa Claus movie with David Huddleston and John Lithgow. Maybe next year.

erttheking:
Ok, someone needs to write a story where Santa actually IS a sociopathic madman who spies on everyone in the world. Just like someone needs to write a modern comic where Superman was the psychopath he was in the 30s.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20069_5-classic-superman-comics-that-prove-he-used-to-be-dick.html

Well actually they did do a movie called "Santa's Slay" where Santa is actually an evil demon who was forced to do good deeds when he lost a bet to an angel... and the deal just expired. The Pro-Wrestler "Goldberg" plays Santa, so that right there is a seal of quality and class... :)

As far as the other bit, there is an entire series called "Irredeemable" which is pretty close to what your suggesting... "Superman" gone mad.

The thing about looking back at Superman comics is that the world was a bit different when a lot of those were written, and the audience wasn't expected to really think things through. This becomes an issue when they try and address "real world issues" while still having it be a super hero story. Of course it could be argued that at the time most "heroes" in the pulp stories and such were a bit on the crazy side as well.

Still if your interested in Superman being a dick, there is a whole SITE dedicated to this, as it went beyond 5 particularly badly written issues from the late 1930s.

http://www.superdickery.com/

Simply put there are tons of examples, covers, etc.. from Superman comics over the decades that are just utterly insane even for the time they were written. The galleries are pretty huge. :)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here