Escape to the Movies: Anchorman 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Anchorman 2

MovieBob gives us the inside scoop on the upcoming sequel Anchorman 2.

Watch Video

Is it:

If so, dear god, I must see the movie immediately, illness be damned!

So they kind of repeat the previous film mistake but didn't fix it by removing it (there was another plot going on in the first film which they removed it but it can be watched on the extended cut dvd). I wonder what is this repeat thing from the first film is? Jazz flute, news fight the Anchor team assemble? (my favourite comedy moment in the first film).
Either way I wil ltry to watch it if I can get my humourless brother to come along or at least rent it (from the sound of it, I'm not sue if it's worth getting it on DVD unless it is on sale).

I feel like I'm in a very small minority of people who just didn't find the first film all that hysterical. It had a couple moments, sure, but nothing I really consider great outside any moments with Steve Carell. I was curious to see how the second one differed, but I suppose this'll be another one I'm likely to skip out on.

Well, I didn't think I'd be interested in this movie, but then again I was never interested in the first one either. Good video though, thanks for saving me any more thought cycles on the topic.

Damn. As soon as I heard about the sequel I was afraid it would try to make lightning strike twice and would fail. Sad to see I was right. I don't feel like I have a whole lot of reason to see this movie.

As for Dynasty Warriors Zelda (I know that's not the title, but that's what it looks like), that game is the first time any part of me has wanted a Wii U...I still don't plan to ever get one though

Akichi Daikashima:
Is it:

If so, dear god, I must see the movie immediately, illness be damned!

OT: Yeah... It did seem like a compilation of funny shorts stringed together to make it a movie... (And to me, Brick was one of the characters that basically always got a laugh or two from the audience I saw it with...)

Also, to put this as a spoiler tag (without actually spoiling one of the movie's plots),

(Though, I hope Ant Man has a good-looking mustache going on...)

Sounds fun but I get the feeling I should watch anchorman 1 first.

Well, now it looks like I have to finally watch the first one...

What I find funny is that the general consensus on Rotten Tomatoes is that tis movie isn't as funny as the original... yet it still has a higher score on the tomatometer.

Anyway, I guess I'm alright with this maybe not being as funny as the first film, I'm such a massive fan already it would be hard to actually disappoint me. So, still going to check it out.

Wait, what Zelda game was that? Is it a hack of Dynasty Warriors?

OT: I'm with SilverUchiha; the first one was alright, but not fantastic, and I have no desire to see another. Bob sounded either confused or schizophrenic (It's one of the best comedies of the year but only because there weren't a lot, it's funny but not too much so, sad they repeated a scene from the first movie but it was still funny and somehow more original) which is not a great recommendation.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Wait, what Zelda game was that? Is it a hack of Dynasty Warriors?

Nintendo announced a collaboration with Tecmo Koei to make Hyrule Warriors.

OT: Interesting. I don't actually remember much of the first Anchorman, though, so I doubt I'll really put in the effort to go out of my way to see this. Plus I only really like two of the four comedians that make up the primary cast (Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd), so...

I know this puts me in the negative view of the internet, my friends, my family, and random people in Wal-Mart, but I honestly didn't like Anchorman. I mean it was pretty funny, and it does have a LOT of fun quotes to bust out, but I just didn't really like it as a movie. Since seeing it, I've never really had the desire to see it again, and when I have ended up seeing it again I'm usually spacing out and giving more of my attention to my gameboy.

And wait...Paul Rudd is Ant-Man? When was this confirmed? Do we know if he's Hank Pym or Scott Lang? Because I heard the Ant-Man movie was gonna have two stories of Pym in the 60's and Lang in the more present day.

Man, I want a Mushroom Kingdom Warriors....

Well the original Anchorman, did do Awesome.. it just kind of grew, as people started quoting it often!. I find it to be one of those movies, where as a movie it's average at best, but it has some great quotable, if not insane, lines. I suspect 2 would be more of the same. I still cried laughing at the Brick scenes in the trailer. Where are my legs??

That's pretty much as good as I could have hoped for with all things considered (good but not as good, funny but with some problems usually seen in sequels). Thanks for the review.

Relevant to the Post-Credit card: I did a little dance when Paul Rudd was officially announced as Ant Man. With RDJ winding down, Rudd could easily become the charismatic center of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the next 10 years. It would be nice to shelve the Iron Man stuff for a while and let some other guys and girls get some screen time.

This review felt really bipolar. Bad review, Bob. Bad review.

Well, this won't stop me from seeing it. I liked the first one, although I recognize its faults, like Jack Black's character not getting any comeuppance for what he did to Baxter, neither that woman who told Christina Applegate's character how to sabotage Ron, but I stay for the camaraderie of the News Team.

daxterx2005:
Man, I want a Mushroom Kingdom Warriors....

Because Mario isn't in enough games... I'd like to see them experiment with franchises that don't get as much love from Nintendo themselves.

My only real problem with this movie is how they've been using it to market so many things. Between a book, the car commercials, and other ways to try to jam the character into as many orifices as they can, I was worried this was going to be awful just on the basis of them trying too hard. The fact it's good is... actually kind of disappointing in that regard. I'll likely wait till it comes out DVD to see it though.

Sejborg:

I agree. I'm a fan of your reviews Bob, but this review was very self contradicting. "This movie's not as good as the original. It's the best comedy this year. This movie overstays its welcome, but I highly recommend you watch it."

Bad review this time. I've gotten more concrete opinions that tell me what I need to know from other critics.

Paul Rudd is gonna be Ant-Man? That means I'm gonna see Paul Rudd beat his on-screen wife? Let's see how he's gonna sell that.

Sseth:

Sejborg:

I agree. I'm a fan of your reviews Bob, but this review was very self contradicting. "This movie's not as good as the original. It's the best comedy this year. This movie overstays its welcome, but I highly recommend you watch it."

Bad review this time. I've gotten more concrete opinions that tell me what I need to know from other critics.

Except that this is pretty much exactly how the film feels. Seriously, saw it last night and I absolutely agree with Bob's review. It is utterly undeniable that this film is not as good as the first, that some of the jokes and callbacks feel forced and try too hard, that it goes on a bit too long and that Ron's relationship with his boss is awkward as fuck.

But it's also still goddamn hilarious. I don't know how Bob could have given his review any differently. The review feels "bipolar" and "self-contradicting" because the film he's talking about is. I spent the whole time aware that it just wasn't hitting the same highs of creativity and nigh-surrealist originality of the first, but equally aware that I simply didn't care because I was still having a great time laughing my ass off.

It's like the old joke about how sex is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty damn good. Well, I'd add Anchorman to that. Even when it's a slightly too long overwrought sequel, it's still got enough Ron Burgundy to be funnier than just about every other comedy I've seen this year.

Sseth:

Sejborg:

Well sir this doesnt make any sense, but ill explain it to you with numbers:
in 10/10 scale we can put the first Anchorman as 10/10, then we can give Anchorman 2 an 8/10 (thats my personal score)... The rest of the comedies this year are just meh, theyre not above 6/10....
Just because of a movie is not as good as a master piece doesnt mean it isnt really good, specially when you put it along of lots of mulch :)

Since I really don't like Will Ferrel, I definitely won't be seeing this.

Am I missing something? Because I didn't like the first one very much at all.

RoonMian:
Paul Rudd is gonna be Ant-Man? That means I'm gonna see Paul Rudd beat his on-screen wife? Let's see how he's gonna sell that.

I like how Ant-Man is more known for hitting his wife (once while having a mental breakdown) than for having the super power to change size and control ants with a helmet. It's like "Batman? You mean that guy who got kidnapped by Santa"

OT: I honestly knew I'd see Anchorman 2 but I thought it'd have a wider consensus going for it :-/

CaptainMarvelous:

RoonMian:

I like how Ant-Man is more known for hitting his wife (once while having a mental breakdown) than for having the super power to change size and control ants with a helmet. It's like "Batman? You mean that guy who got kidnapped by Santa"

Wife beating is a pretty serious thing so obviously its the thing that's going to stick out the most. And..well...unlike other heroes he doesn't really have anything else noteworthy about him to replace it (well, aside from the title of "hero with the most names and costumes" dude can't find and identity and stick with it) and Ultron. But Ultron has surpassed his connection to Pym decades ago.

also, I'm going to start referring to batman as that now

SilverUchiha:
I feel like I'm in a very small minority of people who just didn't find the first film all that hysterical. It had a couple moments, sure, but nothing I really consider great outside any moments with Steve Carell. I was curious to see how the second one differed, but I suppose this'll be another one I'm likely to skip out on.

Strain42:
I know this puts me in the negative view of the internet, my friends, my family, and random people in Wal-Mart, but I honestly didn't like Anchorman. I mean it was pretty funny, and it does have a LOT of fun quotes to bust out, but I just didn't really like it as a movie. Since seeing it, I've never really had the desire to see it again, and when I have ended up seeing it again I'm usually spacing out and giving more of my attention to my gameboy.

Don't be afraid, you're not alone! I feel very similar. The first one was okay besides the random good quotable parts, but I still feel like the movie wasn't very funny at all.

Then again I didn't find stepbrothers or any of the "hangovers" to be funny in the slightest.

Zelda Warriors? Hmmm!

Anchorman didn't need a sequel as it wasn't that funny, while I can see what it was trying to ape.

As for Ant Man, lets hope it actually good.

im always skeptical with comedies these days. they are mostly too stupid or not funny at all. i havent watched the first one and im not really eager to watch it either. but maybe one day i might give it a try when i see it for rent. second one, well, saw the trailer but i dint find anything funny. in fact, practically no one in the cinema was laughing.

I just hope that Paul Rudd doesn't tread on Watchmen territory, cuz with his hair down he does look an awful lot like Patrick Wilson's Nightowl, and Pym does kinda fit that niche on the Avengers - the reclusive scientist/hero that's smarter than his friends/teammates give him credit for.

I read the tag that said "Paul Rudd is Ant-Man." However, it went by kinda quick and my brain processed it as "Ron Paul is Ant-Man."

There was a brief moment there where my brain just seized up and reality seemed to fold in on itself. Fortunately, I quickly unscrambled the misfire in my head and was able to regain my faith in the universe once more.

So if I'm one of those people that found the original painfully unfunny I'm probably not going to enjoy this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here