Life After Death: The Repercussions of THQ's Demise

Life After Death: The Repercussions of THQ's Demise

A videogame publisher collapsed earlier this year. THQ is no more.

Read Full Article

THQ's death was sad but they just kept making bad choices, the bright side is as you said a lot of the properties that were bought are being at least considered for revival by the people who now own them.

So I can at least hope for another red faction that's actually good this time around, and that a lot of the other franchises are in good hands and taken care of.

Its pretty normal for distributors to be insured against collapse, which is an educated guess as to why companies are suing for lost royalties. The administrators in charge of winding up will make a claim to pay off the missing money. As to, Rubin and Kay suing for $2.1 million each, they might get 10 cents on the dollar as unsecured creditors. $200k each is not to be sneezed at.

THQ Montreal issue is rather dependant on how the Ubisoft bought the studio. If they bought the studio as a going concern there might be a case, but if Ubisoft just bought the assets then there is no case to answer. Also it depends on the grounds which Désilets was fired on. Being the head of THQ's largest studio and responsible for the uDraw faciso, there is an argument that Désilets could be fired for gross misconduct or negligence and in which case his contract will become null and void.

I was quite surprised to see games like Darksiders and Company of Heroes get updated by these new owners. It makes me hopeful that Dawn of War will one day be revisited and fixed up.

And I want my $50 back from Aliens Colonial Marines, SEGA, but sometimes life sucks. I hope SEGA doesn't get a penny.

On the games front, Nordic, don't give Red Faction back to Volition. Did you play Red Faction Armageddon? Volition doesn't know what they're doing with Red Faction anymore.

albino boo:
Its pretty normal for distributors to be insured against collapse, which is an educated guess as to why companies are suing for lost royalties. The administrators in charge of winding up will make a claim to pay off the missing money. As to, Rubin and Kay suing for $2.1 million each, they might get 10 cents on the dollar as unsecured creditors. $200k each is not to be sneezed at.

THQ Montreal issue is rather dependant on how the Ubisoft bought the studio. If they bought the studio as a going concern there might be a case, but if Ubisoft just bought the assets then there is no case to answer. Also it depends on the grounds which Désilets was fired on. Being the head of THQ's largest studio and responsible for the uDraw faciso, there is an argument that Désilets could be fired for gross misconduct or negligence and in which case his contract will become null and void.

It shouldn't really matter what legal loopholes Ubisoft might be able to use to get away with fucking over Desilets. The point is that they are fucking over Desilets and that is disgusting.

Easton Dark:
It makes me hopeful that Dawn of War will one day be revisited and fixed up.

That depends entirely on GW.

One of the more interesting articles I've read, An insight into a failed company, the reasons behind its demise and the repercussions as told by those that were there beats the previous 'advertising' article by a mile.

Ed130:

Easton Dark:
It makes me hopeful that Dawn of War will one day be revisited and fixed up.

That depends entirely on GW.

One of the more interesting articles I've read, An insight into a failed company, the reasons behind its demise and the repercussions as told by those that were there beats the previous 'advertising' article by a mile.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

As an avid 40k fan and player of all the DoW games, I was heartbroken over THQ's death. And GW isn't exactly peachy when it comes to licensing out their IP for things. This is the company and sued and shut down a German college fan film. It will be a long, long, LONG time before another 40k game is made. The DoW stretch was the longest and quickest release of games in decades. Usually its one PC (Chaos Gate, Final Liberation) every five years or so. Or that God awful Fire Warrior game.
I'm truly disheartened by this.

Silentpony:
As an avid 40k fan and player of all the DoW games, I was heartbroken over THQ's death. And GW isn't exactly peachy when it comes to licensing out their IP for things. This is the company and sued and shut down a German college fan film. It will be a long, long, LONG time before another 40k game is made. The DoW stretch was the longest and quickest release of games in decades. Usually its one PC (Chaos Gate, Final Liberation) every five years or so. Or that God awful Fire Warrior game.

There's actually like six Warhammer 40,000 games in the works by various other developers right now; some of them are even RTSs. I don't know about the Dawn of War series though, it might go silent for a while, but I can't see why it wouldn't make a return because people love those games.

Lovely article, just the kind of closure I need for THQ. The dust has settled and looking back on it now through this article offers a different, a much more relaxed and even sentimental perspective which I like.

Still hoping for a sequel to Space Marine lol.

Nouw:
Lovely article, just the kind of closure I need for THQ. The dust has settled and looking back on it now through this article offers a different, a much more relaxed and even sentimental perspective which I like.

That was response I was hoping to get, and thanks for reading it!

Are you saying that I should give Space Marine another try?

TylerColp:
Most attribute it to the company's uDraw GameTablet, a touch-based tablet that interacted with games on Nintendo's Wii, Sony's PlayStation 3, and Microsoft's Xbox 360.

What the hell? This was actually a thing? Did they bother tell anybody about it? I've never heard of it.

It's astonishing how many companies that have no experience in developing computer hardware think they can just make a tablet and it will lead to easy profits because tablets are popular or something. Heck, even Microsoft can't make a successful tablet, and they have significantly more experience in the area than some random game company.

TylerColp:

Silentpony:

There's actually like six Warhammer 40,000 games in the works by various other developers right now; some of them are even RTSs. I don't know about the Dawn of War series though, it might go silent for a while, but I can't see why it wouldn't make a return because people love those games.

There's another Space Hulk game coming out, which is apparently an FPS adaptation of Deathwing. Creative Assembly is making Warhammer Total War, Bloodbowl 2 is in the works, and wasn't there supposed to be another Space Hulk made by that Cyanide Studios team?

Still waiting for Battlefleet Gothic and Dawn of War 3.

TylerColp:

Nouw:

If you enjoy the general mechanics and/or the 40k setting? Yes. It's a pretty gleeful, homicidal romp through 40k. If the space marines bore you, and the combat isn't fun, then no.

Make less games that will sell more? Man if you want to follow that rhetoric and thrive you've gotta be Valve or something.

Nouw:

Just wanted to agree. I didn't even play many THQ games, but their collapse intrigued me.

TylerColp:

Nouw:

Oh definitely, the core gameplay is tight and incredibly fun. Switching between melee and ranged combat is seamless and the combat itself has a nice flow to it. It really helps that the weapons feel satisfying to use too, not to mention there's also the feeling of your own weight.

Good article. Actually answered a lot of questions that a lot of people, including myself, have seemed to be asking lately.

And yet, all I can think about right now is how hyped I just got for the Homeworld re-makes.

Living_Brain:
Make less games that will sell more? Man if you want to follow that rhetoric and thrive you've gotta be Valve or something.

Not fair, and I mostly hate Valve's flagship game Half-Life. Valve made its money through Steam and a few stellar (better than Half-Life) games like Portal and Team Fortress recently. Valve basically, single handedly, revived the PC gaming market.

Frankly, this concept is the one that has been adopted by most triple A game companies. Can they survive if their market finally collapses, after a failure of a COD or BF or other absurdly expensive game? We'll see, as it is going to happen at some point.

That said, THQ lost relevance as a developer some time ago. This shouldn't really be a shock. Companies come and go.

I was a bid worried about Koch Media buying up so many franchises, but it is clear what has to happen next: An open world 3rd person rampage about a Bavarian milk-farmer that has to set out on a quest to save his favorite cow Matilda.

47_Ronin:
I was a bid worried about Koch Media buying up so many franchises, but it is clear what has to happen next: An open world 3rd person rampage about a Bavarian milk-farmer that has to set out on a quest to save his favorite cow Matilda.

I'd probably buy that game.

Sounds compelling.

Congratulations on this article! I would really like to see somebody else pick up the Warhammer franchise.

Frankly, I felt like the last couple of Dawn of War 2 expansions as well as the last couple of Saints Row releases were pretty weak; phoned in/cash ins. Was this a contributing factor or the symptoms of the crumbling?

TylerColp:

Silentpony:

Those games still hold up; most of them. I played them again a year ago. But I am intrigued by the idea of other 40K RTSs; especially since DoW1 & 2 were so different anyway. There's a lot that can be done with that license. Something like a DoW on the WiiU would probably be enough to get that console on my shelf.

I work about a mile from the THQ building, I would drive past every day and smile because I got so much enjoyment out of the DOW and COH games. I was and still am sad that they went down in flames, I knew a few of the guys that worked there as well. I saw the THQ badges at a local restaurant and just started talking to them about their jobs there. Really nice guys and I was even able to beta test for a few games. I hope the new WH40k games are done well.

Mostly all of the games listed are the epitome of mediocrity. Just because THQ was big it doesn't mean it was good. It just housed a whole bunch of mediocre games under its mantle, most of which were bought by unknown entities rather than by other big publishers, showcasing that no big publishers cared for them since if they did they would be able to buy em out. (such as Ubisoft buying that southpark game)

Easton Dark:
I was quite surprised to see games like Darksiders and Company of Heroes get updated by these new owners.

Unfortunately there's no word on whether Darksiders will continue on as II was already completed and released just as THQ collapsed. And the original dev team is gone, including the creative directer Joe Madureira who has said they had it planned out what they were going to do with the rest of the series. 4 player co-op as all 4 horseman taking on Hell and Lucifer, but now that there's no more Vigil Games, those plans are gone and he's not working for Nordic and has moved on. So the hope for another Darksiders as good as either 1 or 2 is slim.
Sad too because I really got into those games at the same time part 2 came out.
Maybe Nordic Games can pull it off, but they haven't said a thing about pursuing the IP at all since the purchase.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Nordic only intends to publish, not develop any future Darksiders games which means whatever studio gets contracted would be developing it. Not very promising...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here