The Big Picture: MovieBob's Best of 2013

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

MovieBob's Best of 2013

MovieBob gives us a list of his ten favorite movies of 2013. Be prepared for some surprises.

Watch Video

I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on a best of list, even as a runner up, is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?

Best thing to take from this video: Dinobots.

chiggerwood:
I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on even a runners up list is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?

I haven't seen it, but I've heard wonderful things about it from critics all over.

That being said, anyone who saw it who wasn't a critic absolutely HATED it.

Probably some disconnect in what is being looked at as "good".

OT: Can't disagree with the list from what I saw this year, still trying to play catch-up though.

I haven't seen any movies this year, but if Moviebob says they're good, I'll give 'em a try.

Especially:
Frozen (even if that damn snowman thing creeps me out)
Pacific Rim (as a fan of Kaiju and giant robots)
and maybe
Spring Breakers or The Wolf of Wall Street (depending on ym mood, I guess)

Wow, seeing Iron Man 3 as a runner up was really surprising, but I felt a bit left behind considering a couple of those movies weren't reviewed in Escape to the Movies. Oh, I know some of them are mentioned in depht in Intermission, but still, feels kinda weird to see movies in the list that didn't get the usual review.

I'm still waiting for You're Next since in my country wasn't released on Cinemas, I'm hoping for a domectic version by February.

EDIT: WAIT! Elysium didn't even appear or was it my imagination?

Great list Bob, really felt like Pacific Rim was the best movie I've seen all year for me as well.

Ok two of them I have not heard of until now (the ones that he didn't reviews on here) and I'm glad to see Pacific Rim is number 1 on your list (I loved that movie so much despite the flaws it got).

Also I be suprise if Man of Steel does not show up in next week episode given how much Bob loathe that film

Damn! Iron Man 3, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, and The Worlds End got the runner-up spots?! Kinda figured they would make it but everyone's favorites of 2013 will differ from one another. Glad to see some movies that not everyone has seen pop up on this list. I've gotta go see Frozen sometime soon, hopefully with my niece in the near future (she's into Disney Princesses).

Pacific Rim was also my favorite this year, if only for being a surprisingly thoughtful take on a premiss that does not sound to be just that. I would have put The Desoaltion of Smaug high on the list though. Not only was it a good continuation of the story, it was also one hell of a ride and casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug (while at first I expected otherwise) was simply inspired. That would come second.

The best movie of the year is quite obviously Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie - Rebellion. I can forgive you for not having the context necessary to experience that one, however.

I think Bob might also be trying too hard to promote Pacific Rim. It's a good, fresh movie, no doubt. The Oscar should really go to Charlie Day and the black dude, I think, as I really didn't see a whole lot of dynamo acting out of the two maid leads. The plot had a few annoying holes and just... dumbness attached to it, stuff that only children wouldn't question. The Big Dumb Wall, the sword that she just decided to deploy out of nowhere when she could have done it much sooner, the introduction of a few other cool robots and then immediately destroying them... it wasted A LOT of good potential.

I really didn't like Pacific Rim that much, was probably my biggest disappointment this year. Just found the whole thing "meh". Honestly the way some people talk about it, it's as if they saw another film. To each their own I guess.

I'm going to cheat and put Wreck It Ralf as my number one seeing as it was released in the UK at the beginning of the year.

Kinda saw Pacific Rim near the top of the list and yeah I agree, it's that good.

I think another big factor to it's success in the theaters was that Attack On Titan became the most talked about anime series this year.

Lol really pacific rim? 1st?
I thought there was some seriousness in this list. Whenever I think Bob may have some Credibility, he goes and fanboys it up like this...
I mean, I didn't hate it, unlike many critics. I thought this was super good looking mindless fun... but not best.. not even top 10. If you really want to be objective you at least have to take away some points for the ridiculously eye rolling script. It goes beyond the "its so bad it's good", and it turns bad again.

For a second there I got excited about it going to stoker.. But I guess that's a bit of a hidden Gem. In any case, there were so many better options.. "HER" was absolutely fantastic, "A place beyond the pines" was a great surprise. "Inside Llewyn Davis" was a bit of a return to subtlety for the Coens, And "Dallas Buyers Club" was just so funny.

Well probably a bit too far from the spotlight for MovieBob.

Earthfield:
Wow, seeing Iron Man 3 as a runner up was really surprising, but I felt a bit left behind considering a couple of those movies weren't reviewed in Escape to the Movies. Oh, I know some of them are mentioned in depht in Intermission, but still, feels kinda weird to see movies in the list that didn't get the usual review.

I'm still waiting for You're Next since in my country wasn't released on Cinemas, I'm hoping for a domectic version by February.

EDIT: WAIT! Elysium didn't even appear or was it my imagination?

No it didn't.

It was weird that some of ythe top ten weren't reviewed on The Escapist, but I'm guessing that the more Arthouse films aren't exactly what the editors want for Escape to the Movies.

Rossco64:
I really didn't like Pacific Rim that much, was probably my biggest disappointment this year. Just found the whole thing "meh". Honestly the way some people talk about it, it's as if they saw another film. To each their own I guess.

I'm one of those who loved it, but I understand what you mean by how you felt about it. To me, it's not a great movie either, it has faults, and the script could do better, but I love it as it is, and I feel it's a movie that needs to exist, it's important to the industry as a whole in the same way Spec Ops the Line was for videogames last year.

Not perfect, not even near to perfect, but it went where no one else tried, and showed it was possible, always self aware, without being pretentious.

Does it deserves the number one? Not sure, it's up to personal preferences, but I do think it's a movie that it's important that exists for the reasons I mentioned.

Oh, merry Xmas to everyone, don't know how long will I be lurking the Escapist today.

Iron Man 3 and Elysium! But of course, Pacific Rim on top!!!!

Gravity was dull, that's about all I can remember about it just dull it should not have been but I found it really dull.

Pacific Rim is one of my biggest disappointments of the year because if it wasn't for the Hong Kong battle this film would have been tedious and boring something that should never apply to the set up of mobile suits vs giant monsters.

Seriously I ripped my bluray cut out the Hong Kong battle burnt it and threw the original away the day I bought it.

Frozen was surprisingly awesome (I was disappointed in Wreck it Ralph) and I am looking forward to seeing The Wolf of Wall Street.

Haven't seen the other six and apart from Captain Phillips probably never will.

great list Bob, a little surprised to see Pacific Rim at number 1(figured it was going to be somewhere on here, but more around number 5 or 4, just based on your review)

also you are pretty much right, it is pretty much impossible to screw up robot dinosaurs
Random guy: but what about that transformers mini-comic "the beast within"
Me:(shoots random guy):That never happened!

Gxas:

chiggerwood:
I cannot disagree with MovieBob any more than when it comes to Only God Forgives. How anyone can put that disjointed poorly directed, overwrought mess on even a runners up list is a mystery to me. The rest of the list was fine, but seriously, Only God Forgives?

I haven't seen it, but I've heard wonderful things about it from critics all over.

OT: Can't disagree with the list from what I saw this year, still trying to play catch-up though.

Actually there's quite a few critics that hated it (it has a metacritic score of 39), some even went as far as asking if the director's previous effort, Drive, was a fluke. And no drive wasn't a fluke it was just a continuation of a pattern for the director of good movie, bad movie, good movie, bad movie. Nicolas Winding Refn made Bronson which was good, then he made Valhalla Rising, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about Vikings fighting Indians for fucks sake, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than paint drying. Then came Drive which was good, then he made Only God Forgives, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about a psychotic druglord mother who was trying to get unjustified revenge for the murder of her psychotic rapist son, who she was fucking, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than watching grass grow. So yeah his next movie should be really good. Sorry for the rabbit trail.

I haven't seen any of the movies on this list, and most of them I don't have any desire to. Esp. Spring Breakers. No Bob, I will not give that a chance. I do not want to watch anything that has to do with Spring Break.

If Pacific Rim gets a sequel, there better be an equivalent to Macross variable fighters in it.

Michael Bay broke Bob's brain.

Also, I'm having flashbacks to that one Film Appreciation class I took, where the professor made it a point to make a distinction between "best movie" and "favorite movie" on day 1. And Bob wasn't afraid to say Pacific Rim was his favorite, but that Wolf of Wall Street was better.

Pacific Rim... yeah... no.

I thoroughly enjoyed the monster punching bits, but they were a tiny fraction of the movie. The rest was cliche, one-note characters spouting painfully trite dialogue at one another.

Nice to see Pain and Gain get a shout out here. Looking back, it was definitely one of the most enjoyable movies that I saw this year and it deserves a little more attention than it's been getting.

You consider Only God forgives to be the runner up, as the best film of the year? That movie is an awful, POS pretentious horseshit. It fails in everything. Story? FAIL! Character? FAIL! Paceing? FAIL FAIL FAIL! Even the fightscens are underwhelming, because of how I don't give a shit about anything that happen on screen.

Also, Pacific Rim should not be number one. It is meh at best.

I can understand where you're coming from when you make a difference between what your favourite movie was and what you thought best movie was, I think a similar thing towards the endings of different series of historical comedy Blackadder (anyone who is reading this and hasn't seen this should look it up if they like historical comedy). I believe that the ending to the fourth series (Blackadder Goes Forth) to be the best but my favourite is the ending to the one off special they did about 13 yeard ago (Blackadder, back and forth).

Delcast:
Lol really pacific rim? 1st?
I thought there was some seriousness in this list. Whenever I think Bob may have some Credibility, he goes and fanboys it up like this...
I mean, I didn't hate it, unlike many critics. I thought this was super good looking mindless fun... but not best.. not even top 10. If you really want to be objective you at least have to take away some points for the ridiculously eye rolling script. It goes beyond the "its so bad it's good", and it turns bad again.

To be fair, Bob even makes it a point of saying that Pacific Rim is NOT the best film of the year, the one before that was the actual best. Pacific Rim is just the one that he personally liked the most, which I think is perfectly fair. He's not blind to how fanboyish it comes across as.

I mean heck, Jim Sterling gave his number 1 game of the year to The Stanley Parable. I think it's perfectly fair to give your number 1 slot to something you personally enjoyed the most, regardless of whether or not it was actually the best.

I am curious what next weeks list will bring. I dunno if I'm expecting Man of Steel to be on the list since yeah Bob didn't like it, but he's also said that was more because of the disappointment of it rather than it being actually bad. I guess if it's there or it's not, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm trying to think back to reviews he did this year where he didn't like the movie very much...

Strain42:

I mean heck, Jim Sterling gave his number 1 game of the year to The Stanley Parable. I think it's perfectly fair to give your number 1 slot to something you personally enjoyed the most, regardless of whether or not it was actually the best.

I think you misinterpreted what Jim was doing. He wasn't counting down to his Game of the Year, he was giving out five separate Games of the Year.

OT: I'll be checking out Frozen and Wolf on Wall Street once they hit DVD or something, I imagine. Or perhaps for my birthday next month. Otherwise, I should've expected Pacific Rim to end up where it did, though I had such fleeting interest in it that I forgot it even released this year.

But then, I only saw five 'new' films this year, and two of them will probably end up on Bob's "worst" list next week.

I would of liked to see Frozen be a bit more higher especially as the only animation but also because its so revolutionary for Disney but at the same time being so restrained in Disney fashion.

Its a stunning animation and does highlight that Disney can still create great fairytails.

Raiyan 1.0:
If Pacific Rim gets a sequel, there better be an equivalent to Macross variable fighters in it.

Well, word from Del Toro is, that if there is a sequel, there would be Jaegers made from Kaijus, ala Evangelion or something.

One can only hope for Variable Fighters...

So glad to see Frozen make the list. I'm currently trying to subliminally plant in everybody's head that they should go see it, because it really does rank up there with Aladdin and Lion King for me among Disney's animated best.

I'm not at all shocked that Pacific Rim got the #1 Nod. I quite loved it, and I think for those who thought it was 'meh', I say that it was just a fun motion picture. Compared to what other giant fighting seizure robots movies we have had in recent years, at least it didn't try to raise the stakes beyond 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' level antics, and neither did the dialogue, characters or much else.

In that regard, it was a cartoon, and I have no problem with cartoons as long as I'm having fun with them.

What I do have a problem with is that The World's End was on a list of Runner's up.

World's End was better than I thought it would be, it's a little bit sloppy, but totally fun, and to be honest, I still argue with myself which is better as far as Edgar Wright's Blood and Cornetto Trilogy goes (Between Shaun of the Dead and World's End of 'Which is better').

It deserved to be on the list, but then again, it's Neck and Neck on my list for #1 of this year, so no harm, no foul, I suppose.

chiggerwood:

Gxas:

chiggerwood:

Actually there's quite a few critics that hated it (it has a metacritic score of 39), some even went as far as asking if the director's previous effort, Drive, was a fluke. And no drive wasn't a fluke it was just a continuation of a pattern for the director of good movie, bad movie, good movie, bad movie. Nicolas Winding Refn made Bronson which was good, then he made Valhalla Rising, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about Vikings fighting Indians for fucks sake, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than paint drying. Then came Drive which was good, then he made Only God Forgives, which was an inexcusably tediously boring movie that had no right to be boring. I mean it was a movie about a psychotic druglord mother who was trying to get unjustified revenge for the murder of her psychotic rapist son, who she was fucking, but the director managed to make something only slightly more interesting than watching grass grow. So yeah his next movie should be really good. Sorry for the rabbit trail.

Huh. Well then let me clarify that all the critics that I pay attention to loved it, haha.

Makes sense with that pattern though. I don't follow Refn's work much.

Thor 2 NOT EVEN on the runners up list?
WoW!
I've seen one of the movies in his top10: Pacific Rim.
There are a few I've been thinking of seeing, and will see when I get the chance.
Had seen quite a few of the runners ups though :/

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or