Jimquisition: Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

The beginning of what is sure to become an annual holiday tradition. Jim Sterling drops the script and delivers a reflective discussion on this, our most blessed Christmas Day.

Watch Video

You know...I didn't believe you made this on Christmas but your irrefutable proof of the Christmas hat was just too much to ignore :D

It has been a very interesting year, for good and for ill. Gamers have proven that we can rise up and be a force for good...and with that same voice we have also proven that we can be incredible assholes that deserve everything shitty the game industry ever gives to us.

Here's hoping that 2014 is a year of more happy fun time and less evil shithead :)

God save our gracious Queen,
Live long our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.

Merry Christmas, Jim, I hope you have another great year.

Given the title, I'm a little surprised that Jim wasn't dressed in drag. Then again, I'm an ignorant non-Englishman.

I've said it before, but I always really like the unscripted ones. The Jimquisition persona is funny, but sometimes feels like it detracts from the points being made because of it. With these kinds of videos it feels a lot more sincere and the point comes across a lot better because of it.

I look forward to seeing what the worst games of 2013 were for you. I haven't seen any bad things said about the games I have liked so far, so am curious to see which ones have made the list.

I've started reading Good Omens, co-written by both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and there's a paragraph early on which I think can be repurposed to be relevant to the second half of this video that goes as such:
"[Crowley] did his best to make [humans'] short lives miserable, because it was his job, but nothing he could think up was half as bad as the stuff they thought up themselves. They seemed to have a talent for it. It was built into the design, somehow. They were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse."

I'll admit I'm guilty of it myself, but it does seem more and more like people seem to take everything related to video games far more seriously than it really calls for. I've been really burnt out on all of the silly nontroversies, truth be told, and really wish people could all just take a deep breath and relax and realize that one woman who talks about how tropes in video games might potentially be sexist, or another woman who might want to have more female representation in games and is working as an artist for a game aren't going to absolutely destroy gaming for everyone else in the world.

You forgot reason 3 not to be watching on Chrismtas Day Jim

"or you suffered a power cut on the day and weren't able to turn your lights on, let alone go on the internet"

Jim, I will always think of you as the noble queen. Good speech. I think the video game community has evolved into a common community, full of good and shit people, just like any other group with a large population. Sadly the shit gets spread around more than it should, and most people outside our community ignore any good we do. But, progress is still progress, hopefully one day we will have more apparent good, than shit.

I'd vote for you for Queen any day, Jim.

Thanks, Jim. Well said, and hope you had a merry Christmas.

Great episode, Jim. I hope this becomes a new tradition as I really enjoyed this little speech. Well done, and well said.

Missed this yesterday due to my poor assumption that there wouldn't be one. Now I'am slightly sad that I did, as this is imo one of the best Jimquisitions I've seen. +1 Like etc. for honesty and a great message.

Legion:
I've said it before, but I always really like the unscripted ones. The Jimquisition persona is funny, but sometimes feels like it detracts from the points being made because of it. With these kinds of videos it feels a lot more sincere and the point comes across a lot better because of it.

Completely agree with this. I enjoyed and engaged with this video far more than any recent Jimquisition. Just hearing someone sit and talk to a camera about the industry, sincerely and unscripted was refreshing and I'd love to see more of this kind of thing.

Daystar Clarion:
God save our gracious Queen,
Live long our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.

Merry Christmas, Jim, I hope you have another great year.

Why did you change the lyrics to "God Save the Jim?" I like Queen, but I'm not sure we should thank God for Freddie Mercury/

Wait, of course we should.

RTR:
Given the title, I'm a little surprised that Jim wasn't dressed in drag. Then again, I'm an ignorant non-Englishman.

Englishmen frequently dress in drag. At least, if those documentaries (comedy troupes) are to be believed.

Also, Canadians.

Legion:

I look forward to seeing what the worst games of 2013 were for you. I haven't seen any bad things said about the games I have liked so far, so am curious to see which ones have made the list.

Jim actually does sound about the same when he's off the cuff as when he's on script. It's pretty impressive.

hentropy:
I'd vote for you for Queen any day, Jim.

I'm not sure that's how it works.

Merry Merry to you too.

I do agree, and it was a good talk. There's a lot going on in the industry now that is going to be important to its development and I think we all have a vested interest in the whole thing, if only because these games are interactive experiences and therefore part of our lives more than other, passive media - even though passive media is a big part of our lives as well at this point in history. More than that though, its become part of our cultures, part of how and with whom we define and identify ourselves. From that stems bigger emphasis on the community, especially in evaluating quality. Strong association with the community is the compulsion of a shared culture - creating, modifying, and evaluating the cultural mores and rules in the pursuit of concrete belonging and acceptance/approval to which we are instinctually compelled becomes more acutely important as the culture spreads - however diffuse in some ways - into the greater fabric of society and daily life that may have been previously considered "outside" the core elements of the preceding stages of the gaming culture/community. Elitists, hardcore, core, dedicated, enthusiasts, casuals, occasionals, people who don't even consider themselves as 'gamers' - which is a definition in flux - are all now touched by this interactive media type in some way. Things have changed at such a rapid pace from the inception of this media to the present - as fast as the technology that delivers it and the ideas zipping around an interconnected digital communications world.

What I like about your shows, and others of a similar bent, is that they churn up some of the issues involved in all of that process from under the pretty lights and engaging activity of game play itself for people to consider and think about. Which is the thinking we most need to do - even as we hold to the joy and enjoyment of the simple pleasure and experience games offer. Granted, the process for addressing these issues is problematic (as Mordin would say hehe) and the process is unmapped to a large extent. There's been a good deal of unpleasantness here and elsewhere as we grow and develop - or try to develop - shared values and ideals. I expect there will be a good deal more, but I'm hopeful that the more we engage these things the better and more smoothly we will be able to engage them in the future.

Well said Your Majesty. The Jimquisition is one of the highlights of my week and I look forward to watching it in the coming new year. Hopefully the gaming community can become improve from following your divine wisdom!

Thank God for You.

Legion:

Unscripted is okay, but after a while the 'ums' and 'ahhs' started to be grating.

Good episode otherwise. It's nice to sometimes get a peek at the man behind the facade (read any of Steven Colbert's interviews with the Rolling Stones. They're really fascinating.)

I know what the calendar says, but that hat totally proves everything and I will stand by it.

Merry Christmas, Jim.

This reminds me quite a bit of today's Super Bunnyhop video:

I'm calling it now, George Weidman and Jim Sterling are the same person.

Merry Christmas Jim and congrats to your successes.

Happy holidays Jim. Thanks for another year of clarity and righteous anger! Keep it up, you're one of the highlights of my weekly online digestion. :D

Great episode for the most part as per usual, Jim. one thing I would have to say was wrong was the "Killer Instinct always online" part. That was to do with the game being played on a "secondary" console (not the one that bought it) and therefore needing to check that the user that owned the game was still there. It wasn't the return of the 24 Hour DRM check that many sites ran with. It's the same way of doing things that has been used on some consoles this generation to prevent people just downloading free copies willy nilly on various machines.

Again, besides that, great episode Jim, and thank God for you. Hopefully, the Jimquisition continues to get better and better :D

Dear Escapists. Please stop having ads that are videos that start by themselves. They are obnoxious and make people get ad block. I have not done that yet but if i have to keep turning off these video ads I may be convinced to. This is an advertisement from 'Yahoo' and is something about "Keith's Story".

Great unscripted episode Jim! It was interesting to watch an episode without the persona. Looking forward to the worst games of 2013!

Merry Christmas, Jimbo!!! ^_^

Here is to hoping that 2014 puts these figures of speech about "ownership" over information to the rest, in both of their idiotic literal interpretations.

You may have been unscripted, but you still knew just what to say. ;D
I feel hopeful for next year.

RTR:

That's a different episode. ;p
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6073-Lets-End-the-FPS-Sausage-fest

:D Thank God for you, Jim!

May you have a happy new year!

Jim is the best queen.

Legion:

Just to remind you, he used the jimquisition persona(mask or card, whichever you look more. Or a gun) in the unscripted ones. He would just go off on us and ramble on. I'm not so sure how good they were back then.

Also, he definitely has far more experience talking to his audience now. With experience comes... whatever it is called. I dunno. Maybe more finesse and such.

Point is, this is him talking outside of his persona. Maybe if it's scripted and he would leave the persona out, we might get something far more thoughtful, since he would be talking from himself, not the persona. That's just what I think though.

OT: Yup, gaming news has been mostly about that. Like, it was a shitstorm upon shitstorm this year. That's not to say it's bad, it brings to light things that should be:

1. Female protagonist's being rejected, since they don't sell.
2. DLC that's abused.
3. Using an F2P model for games that sell at full price. Or just being all the bravest. Because they certainly have balls to try.
4. Sexism in gaming. And not of the mario kind.

But last of all, AAA playing it very safe in a creative industry. It sounds like an oxymoron to me, since being creative always means taking certain risks. But relying on data that's already proven, that just smacks of being lazy. I know it's hard to do this right, but at the same time, try going out there. Oh wait, I'm feeling the burning of investors on my back.

All that is my view on the thing. Though, now I wish there is a thread about this... Should I just post another thread? About what everyone else thinks of what gaming was this year?

But Jim, if there werent any shit people then you wouldnt be able to put on a show for us. So lets be thankful for the shit people because theyll be a whole new breed of them next year, and there will even be some of the those shit people who didnt learn their lesson before and thus became even shittier.

So heres to the shit people who will be flushed out by the Jimquistition in 2014

Thanks for doing this, Mr. Sterling! I look forward to the Jimquisition 2014.

shrekfan246:
I've started reading Good Omens, co-written by both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and there's a paragraph early on which I think can be repurposed to be relevant to the second half of this video that goes as such:
"[Crowley] did his best to make [humans'] short lives miserable, because it was his job, but nothing he could think up was half as bad as the stuff they thought up themselves. They seemed to have a talent for it. It was built into the design, somehow. They were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse."

I'll admit I'm guilty of it myself, but it does seem more and more like people seem to take everything related to video games far more seriously than it really calls for. I've been really burnt out on all of the silly nontroversies, truth be told, and really wish people could all just take a deep breath and relax and realize that one woman who talks about how tropes in video games might potentially be sexist, or another woman who might want to have more female representation in games and is working as an artist for a game aren't going to absolutely destroy gaming for everyone else in the world.

Great book, great quote... And you're 100% spot on. I've got to the point where I've resolved to steer clear of any threads involving political or social discussions, especially on game forums, and just talk about what I love about games, not what sucks.
Too many negatives here folks, I thought the whole point of entertainment was to have fun and enjoy life and if things are a little silly or non-realisitic, thats the whole point of entertaining oneself. Otherwise its just another dose of reality.

I never know how to take Jim outside of his fake persona but that was nice and I enjoyed the video:)

Jimothy Sterling:
Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

The beginning of what is sure to become an annual holiday tradition. Jim Sterling drops the script and delivers a reflective discussion on this, our most blessed Christmas Day.

Watch Video

Was it humbleness or was it better left unsaid that you were asserting Divine Mandate in this affair Mr Sterling?

Still thank you for the show.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or