To Hell With Comments

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Atmos Duality:

Game walkthoughs have and continue to contain exploits or directions to known glitches that could result in loss or corruption of data. It might not be as bad as your monitor falling over and smashing your fingers, but it is still your fault for trusting anonymous information.

That's not even remotely consistent enough to claim as normal.
As in, what you described applies to a tiny fraction of all guides posted there.

How often it happens doesn't matter, just that it does happen. Knowing that something can happen, but believing it is unlikely to happen to you is an excellent way to have a totally preventable terrible day in the future.

The idea being, at one point or another you are going to have to take someones word for it, because there aren't enough hours in a lifetime for you to learn everything you need to know to do otherwise. And if you have to take a persons word for it, its a safer bet to take it from a guy with a face you can punch should the occasion demand it.

Agreed. But that doesn't really justify Yahtzee's contempt for comments, which is kinda the issue people are taking with him here.
He thinks the world would be better if it were run only by qualified individuals and fuck everyone else.
I'll do him one better; I think the world would be better if it were run by COMPETENT individuals, not just those with the title of "expert" or self proclaimed "qualifications".

(I've met plenty of incompetent "experts" who were "qualified" in their field, especially in health care. So pardon me if I sound a tad jaded here.)

I think our disagreement here is based on the use of qualification. To my mind Yahtzee's qualifications are his backlog of other reviews and writing. So your determination of his competence is completely predicated on your opinion of his backlog. That is to say, how much weight you give his reviews is determined by how much you agreed with his previous reviews. Its not that there is some unknown entity that simply grants qualifications in this sense, they have to be developed in order to exist. Perhaps you have never agreed with a single review he has produced. In that case, his qualifications are bunk, but only to you.

In order to determine competence, you have to build a set of qualifications. From my perspective this is exactly what you are doing when you read an anonymous comment and then choose to confirm it by researching the info presented and establishing a consensus. If an anonymous poster comments on a video, that comment is only useful until you've taken the time to confirm what was said. Put another way, if I posted some of my work online here on the escapist, the only comments I'm going to care about are the ones given by my colleagues, because the rest just aren't qualified. I could do the work to qualify them, by fact checking every single post, but that is likely not worth the effort.

I find it funny that I went onto YouTube, and then I saw this video from PBG, ProJared, JonTron, and The Completionist about the comment section in general. Talk about a coincidence no? XD

EvilRoy:

How often it happens doesn't matter, just that it does happen. Knowing that something can happen, but believing it is unlikely to happen to you is an excellent way to have a totally preventable terrible day in the future.

Every second, it's possible for a meteorite to plummet to earth and ruin my day.
Yet, I don't worry about it because I don't let extraordinary exceptions define the norm.

I think our disagreement here is based on the use of qualification. To my mind Yahtzee's qualifications are his backlog of other reviews and writing. So your determination of his competence is completely predicated on your opinion of his backlog.

You changed subjects here, from you to me, mid rebuttal. So I'm just going to ask for some clarification.
As I read it here, to your mind, the only qualifier you offer is the quantity of material Yahtzee has produced and nothing else.

If that's the case, well, prepare yourself for disappointment or denial in the future when an expert proves unreliable.
Quantity isn't the same as quality.

That is to say, how much weight you give his reviews is determined by how much you agreed with his previous reviews. Its not that there is some unknown entity that simply grants qualifications in this sense, they have to be developed in order to exist. Perhaps you have never agreed with a single review he has produced. In that case, his qualifications are bunk, but only to you.

I cannot reasonably comment without clarification of the above except that I already understand how advocacy and the value of opinions.

In order to determine competence, you have to build a set of qualifications. From my perspective this is exactly what you are doing when you read an anonymous comment and then choose to confirm it by researching the info presented and establishing a consensus. If an anonymous poster comments on a video, that comment is only useful until you've taken the time to confirm what was said. Put another way, if I posted some of my work online here on the escapist, the only comments I'm going to care about are the ones given by my colleagues, because the rest just aren't qualified. I could do the work to qualify them, by fact checking every single post, but that is likely not worth the effort.

Fair enough. I don't fact check every single post.
But at the same time, I don't automatically dismiss every single post purely out of spite either.

EDIT:

EvilRoy:

Eh, I think I'm just going to cut it off here. Not to be rude, but I've lost interest in the conversation a little while ago and judging by your response its starting to show in the form of me not paying close enough attention to my responses. For what it's worth I understand your point, I just feel that it is overly optimistic in terms of the usefulness and trustworthiness of anonymous comments in general.

The value of information is in what you make of it. *shrugs*
All communication, whether it's from anonymous nobodies, accredited writers, Pulitzer prize winners or your own parents, all stems from some sort of trust. I get that some are obviously more trustworthy than others, but nothing is absolute.

Not even the highest standards can remove the ability to deceive or err from humanity.
It's why I trust good evidence above all else.

keniakittykat:

Mad World:
You make some very valid points. Seeing as how this is not a non-profit website (I assume that you're correct in that), it doesn't seem right in having volunteer moderators.

I've always wondered how often moderators are paid. I used to frequent Bethesda's forums, and wondered if their mods were paid or not. And EA's forums (specifically, Battlefield's)... knowing EA, nope (found one example of a moderator on their Need For Speed forum, and they were not paid).

I was moderator at "mlparena" (My little pony collector's forum) for a while in 2009 and 2010, and they didn't pay back then. When they updated the site and got all pro they offered to pay, but I didn't live anywhere near their office. I forgot how much they payed though =S

Interesting. At least they ended up paying their moderators. I'd like a job like that (at least until I am ready to get into my real profession).

Wonder how much it was. I don't imagine it being anything considerable, but who knows?

Atmos Duality:
Snip

Eh, I think I'm just going to cut it off here. Not to be rude, but I've lost interest in the conversation a little while ago and judging by your response its starting to show in the form of me not paying close enough attention to my responses. For what it's worth I understand your point, I just feel that it is overly optimistic in terms of the usefulness and trustworthiness of anonymous comments in general.

"Oh yes. And I know you can turn the comments off in 3D World, but if I'd done that I wouldn't have been able to complain about them."
It does more than that, it flat out asks you when it's first implemented if you want it on or not.
The complaints pretty much fall flat on their face when that's mentioned.
It's an extra made to build a community nothing else.

Objectable:

dead

wow you guys are all really sensitive aren't you xD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook