Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2013

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Top 5 Games of 2013

This week, Zero Punctuation takes a look at the top 5 best and worst games of 2013.

Watch Video

There will be spoilers beneath, and potentially above.

But I wasn't expecting Infinity Ward to fuck up so hard as to end up in that position twice. I've played through half of Ghosts and it's easily became my worst game of the year. I was surprised by each choice's position (didn't expect 5 or 4, expected 3-1 but not in that order). I think the intro's to each number is probably my favourite of the four videos.

So 2013 comes to a dreary end, and well done Ride to Hell: Retribution for your grand prize.

Edit: Does that mean that Ride to Hell: Retribution is worse than Too Human? Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days? Amy?

I preferred the angelic choir and farts to demonic fire and harps.

I r a pote.

Can't say I agree with his list at all. Oh well, we can't all think alike, now can we?

Pug! Also, poor Aliens: Colonial Marines, it didn't deserve this. Bioshock Infinite is a good choice for number one though it could have done with more than a sentence's justification, still I guess there's only so much you can fit into a five minute video commenting on ten eleven games.

If Last of Us had made top 5, there'd be an Ellen Page lookalike on both sides.

These best/worst of videos are always such a highlight. Thanks Yahtzee! Love the category titles especially. :)

I'd be really curious to see what Yahtzee thinks of Gone Home. That's easily my game of the year.

Yeah, Ghosts was so bad that I couldn't even bare to finish it, and certainly deserves to be the worst of the year, while Ride to Hell deserves worst of all time.

Oh well #1 is Bioshock Infinite, thats good... loved Columbia...
Personally, TlOU, Stanley Parable, Bioshock Infinite, were my faves this year...(I need to get the new Xcom also)
So...well, I was more concerned about the bottom 5, as so many to choose from...where was Dark? XD

Didn't see Infinite winning this one. Don't have a problem with it at all though, definitely one of my personal top 5 of last year.

A little surprised Resident Evil 6 didn't get a mention (except for that virus comment) but looking at what it was up against I can understand why.

I haven't played most of those. Except for Bioshock: Infinite and I liked it. Although the ending kinda confused me.

A good list all around, was surprised Bioshock at the top though and with ghosts alone at the bottom, thought it would've been another tie like the year before with battlefield 3 and whatever call of duty was released at the same time

Ghosts continues to be the worst game of the year by charging £35 for around 12 maps, that's currently a copy of Papers Please for you and SIX friends on steam or copies for five people of Bioshock Infinate in the Steam Sale. PLEASE people please stop buying this shit. I stopped buying this shit after Modern Warfare II and haven't looked back. Call of Duty is a bad franchise, it's that simple. Stop funding bad games.

That's weird, I always figured that Yahtzee was a lot more positive towards Blood Dragon and Luigi's Mansion 2 than any of the three he considered for #5. Whatever, very entertaining list as always.

Until a worse game comes along...Yahtzee, some manager at a game studio just said 'Challenge Accepted'.

I'm surprised by this year's best and worst list. Never even considered Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance would make the list. I figured some of the Nintendo games he liked (I.E. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Windwaker HD) would get one of the top spots but I guess not. Either he forgot about them or his "I'm a banana" analogy from Farcry 3 is coming true.

Aliens: Colonial Marines and Simcity was a no brainer but its weird Ride to Hell: Retribution got left out. Still, its nice that a game that fucks up on so many levels gets an honorary award. Also, its good to see a "Spunkgargleweewee" title getting the #1 worst game slot.

How would rolling onto a kitten make a mes... Oh. Oh dear.

I think I'm perfectly happy never having a Knickerbocker Glory.

I played Papers, Please. I still don't get the hype.

OT: Not my top 5 but that's ok. Kinda feel like Arkham Origins should be on a worst games list somewhere though.

YAY. So I'm not a weird little duck for thinking Bioshock Infinite was hands down the best game I've played all year :D

I tried to actually guess Yahtzee's games this year. It's good to know that Ride to Hell did get a special mention. Maybe it topped Too Human for the worst game he's ever reviewed.

I'm just happy that at least someone remembered that there are games objectively worse than Knack. Even if you didn't like Knack it objectively has no place on a list like this because there are plenty of games that are provably worse than it this year.

(And no, I'm not just talking about Jim's video from two days ago. He's one of them, but not the only one by any means.)

ShinobiJedi42:
I'd be really curious to see what Yahtzee thinks of Gone Home. That's easily my game of the year.

I'd guess he would think it's shit. It's a horror game that fails at being scary which is something he's blasted plenty of games for in the past, and it's less interactive than Beyond Two Souls which he just complained about again in this video.

The only reason Gone Home isn't on my own worst game of the year list at #1 is because I can't in good faith call it a game. I can certainly call it bad, though.

Daniel Lowery:
Yeah, Ghosts was so bad that I couldn't even bare to finish it, and certainly deserves to be the worst of the year, while Ride to Hell deserves worst of all time.

And yet somehow Ghosts made it to the Escapist's "Reader's Choice Game of the Year", while a ton of great games didn't...

5. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
3. Saints Row IV
2. Papers, Please
1. Bioshock Infinite

Bottom
5. Star Trek into Darkness
4. SimCity
3. Aliens Colonial Marines
2. Beyond Two Souls
1. Call Of Duty: Ghosts

SPECIAL: Zero Punctuation Life Time Achievement Award For Total Abhorrence:
Ride to Hell: Retribution

It was so slow... I was able to understand almost all words!
What happend to you, Yahtzee? I hope Santa will give you some speed-boost as a present and you will once again speak like a machine-gune loaded with words.

mjc0961:
I'm just happy that at least someone remembered that there are games objectively worse than Knack. Even if you didn't like Knack it objectively has no place on a list like this because there are plenty of games that are provably worse than it this year.

(And no, I'm not just talking about Jim's video from two days ago. He's one of them, but not the only one by any means.)

ShinobiJedi42:

I'd guess he would think it's shit. It's a horror game that fails at being scary which is something he's blasted plenty of games for in the past, and it's less interactive than Beyond Two Souls which he just complained about again in this video.

The only reason Gone Home isn't on my own worst game of the year list at #1 is because I can't in good faith call it a game. I can certainly call it bad, though.

Gone Home pretends to be a horror game to draw players in, but that's nothing but a bait & switch. I personally found it very sweet, even though I saw the ending coming way ahead of time.

Ovrad:

Daniel Lowery:

And yet somehow Ghosts made it to the Escapist's "Reader's Choice Game of the Year", while a ton of great games didn't...

I guess if you sell enough copies you get in automatically.

List was pretty surprising, don't get me wrong I knew you hated ghosts but you seemed a lot angrier with beyond two souls or alien colonial marines.

in hindsight I find it very funny that you actually liked call of duty 4.

I was just thinking to myself "God I hope he doesn't put Ride to Hell at the bottom, that would be a copout, that isn't even a proper game" -- great minds think alike I see.

This top five best list was created as trollbait, I'd wager :lol:

I don't entirely agree, but I don't disagree either. You could make a far worst list I suppose.

Happy to see MGRR getting some love, though. Would have hoped to see The Stanely Parable on the best games list but it would have reignited the "but it's not a gaaaaaammmmeee :'(" debate again.

But...bioshock infinite is a terrible half finished mess of generic shooting, shit characters and more plot holes then a novel made of Swiss Cheese. It eschews all the good parts of the first game for bland call of duty shooting, copy pasted plasmids and even less challenge. Not to mention every single e3 preview they had was full of lies and broken promises. Seriously, go look at those previews and then think back to the game you played. It is a profound disappointment.

I still can't believe a game as lazy as Saints Row IV gets as much praise as it does. It's not a bad game, but this? Meh.

BigTuk:
Until a worse game comes along...Yahtzee, some manager at a game studio just said 'Challenge Accepted'.

I wonder. If they're actively trying to make a worse game, will they inevitably fail and make something good?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we'll see many contenders for the crown, but it always strikes me that certain developers have the same traits as redshirts. That is to say that they will fail miserably at whatever they try to do. So if they set out to make a bad game, would we see a masterpiece?

Ovrad:

Popularity will never require quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4

Not sure if you can embed here, it's been a while, but here's a video summing up what you SHOULD have thought about Bioshit Infinite if you were actually paying attention. Yes you. To sum it up: Story's garbage, gameplay is garbage, message is garbage and Ken Levine's a moron.

I own BioShock Infinite and STILL haven't played it dammit. What's wrong with me? For once in my life I buy a game on the same year it's released and it turns out to be GOTY material and I haven't even played it yet.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here