Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2013

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Piecewise:

Also, thats a pretty freaking weak justification for a lack of imagination. Plus it doesn't even make sense. I don't remember fucking crows or ram in Bioshock. So they didn't even stay constant in order to make it fit within that "It's in the same multi-verse!" justification of yours. Which is right up there with the delusional crap of "Indoctrination theory", another desperate attempt to stave off buyers remorse. Face it, they didn't give us new stuff because they couldn't think of anything or didn't want to.

As per plot holes
http://imgur.com/Z2ajG3L

You need to understand that the Rules of the Bioshock isn't the same as real world, you can eat and drink without going to the bathroom. That isn't a plot hole, it is irrelevant information, it doesn't discredit anything. If magnets can be that strong in a (world of floating cities), then the magnets are strong enough.

Also, did you fail to notice the guards chase you after the Raffle. Then again the guards prevented civilans to leave after the tower fell. Then again when Comstock taunts you and throws enemies at you. I think that they tried to lock down the city considering that you don't even see civilians after 30 minutes of gameplay.

You've also annoyed me by saying that IDT is "another desperate attempt to stave off buyers remorse". No, you're wrong. Fan Theories have existed for Decades. If you appreciate literature and creative writing then it's enjoyable to share you're interpretations or plausible ideas. It doesn't make them right or wrong, they are fun to think about.

In regards to that link you provided, those aren't plot holes. You don't need to know why Elizabeth is in NYC, the point is that circumstance upon circumstance lead to wildly different outcomes. If Booker succeeded in bringing Elizabeth to Paris, then the story would end. It doesn't.

It took Bioshock a while to grow on me, I found the implications of the ending really depressing. But that's the point.

I also thought that Metro:Last Light was immensely better than Last Of Us. Atleast with Booker, a morally ambiguous character has a purpose without being a hardarse.

I still need to play Bioshock Infinite, will my gaming rig just arrive already...

Definitely the biggest surprise this year was Assassins Creed IV, it exceeded all my expectations and then some, I thought after the disaster III was, I would no longer follow the series, but this game single handedly saved my (and many others) interest in the series)

while i agree he generally does a good job of scathing witticisms, the last couple of articles and videos have edged on depressed self loathing. It's a subtle change but noticeable.

Xangi:

lacktheknack:

Because the story was affecting.

It's always hilarious when people try to out-logic an emotional response, but it's getting really old and it's in danger of not being funny anymore.

This is pretty much the truth. If you can't take a step back and be objective about something, of course a piece of media like B:I is going to look great. It's DESIGNED TO MANIPULATE YOU EMOTIONALLY into thinking it's good.

Well, isn't that the game succeeding at being good? People liked it because of how it was designed. That's called "being good"

As you said yourself, you're shitting in peoples' pancakes. Quit it.

You know, Infinite is a great game, it's visually impressive, it has a very engaging atmosphere, the combat is at least satisfying when you don't play it on hard difficulty, the sound design is top notch, the characters are more or less well written and they interact well, but, it would have been a better game if they had given certain things more work and more depth.

The biggest deficiency I see in Infinite is that the story begins to wobble a little in the middle and that gets amplified towards the end.

I really wanted them to use:

I was most surprised that The Last of Us and Tomb Raider were moved up to top 7 of the year. I thought he really disliked both of those.

dakkster:
I'm sorry, but I just can't take anyone who calls Infinite's story/writing "excellent" seriously. Watch smudboy's videos. When you later realize that you can't refute his points, ask yourself why you still hold the game's story/writing in such high regard. That's all I'm going to say.

No it isn't.

I'm a bit surprised he never reviewed The Wonderful 101 this year. I could've sworn there was an Extra Punctuation that implied he'd picked up a copy for review.

Just as well, I suppose. I imagine I'd not have liked such a review anyway.

Johnny Novgorod:
I own BioShock Infinite and STILL haven't played it dammit. What's wrong with me? For once in my life I buy a game on the same year it's released and it turns out to be GOTY material and I haven't even played it yet.

Just play whichever of the first two games you felt had better game play and then make up a story involving Dorothy and yourself travelling through time and parallel dimensions filled with progressively crazier versions of La Raza and the Tea Party. Include a few plot holes, close your eyes during any minigames or really any non shooty bits and only use two guns and one plasmid.

Aardvaarkman:

Apart from "show, don't tell," that's a recipe for some really boring writing. I don't know if you've ever happened to spend time around humans, but they often don't act logically or consistently. It sounds like your rules are for writing robots.

In any case, good writing doesn't usually happen by following a set of rules.

In his defense, "truth is stranger than fiction" is a cliché because of the concept of logical consistency. Stories have to make more sense than real world events or you lose people.

Piecewise:
But...bioshock infinite is a terrible half finished mess of generic shooting, shit characters and more plot holes then a novel made of Swiss Cheese. It eschews all the good parts of the first game for bland call of duty shooting, copy pasted plasmids and even less challenge. Not to mention every single e3 preview they had was full of lies and broken promises. Seriously, go look at those previews and then think back to the game you played. It is a profound disappointment.

Or it's a fun, not completely mindless romp from beginning to end with spectacular art design and a satisfying twist at the end.

Ah, Ride to Hell. One of these days I'm going to see a very cheap second-hand copy of that game in a shop somewhere, having not thought about it in years, and I'm going to buy it and play the shit out of it. And hate myself for doing so.

C14N:
I was most surprised that The Last of Us and Tomb Raider were moved up to top 7 of the year. I thought he really disliked both of those.

I was shocked too, especially because he gave such praise to Luigi's Mansion 2 and FarCry 3: Blood Dragon. He even gave more praise to Remember Me than he did The Last of Us and Tomb Raider.

FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of conservative white racists: worst game of the year.

FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of liberal white racists: best game of the year.

EA's not the only force in gaming studiously avoiding the fearful clutches of of self awareness, eh? ;) Otherwise, great yearly recap vid from Yahtzee, as usual.

Malisteen:

FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of liberal white racists: best game of the year.

If you had actually played that game, you'd know that the "liberal white racists" turn into the primary bad guys about half way through the game.

dakkster:
I'm sorry, but I just can't take anyone who calls Infinite's story/writing "excellent" seriously. Watch smudboy's videos. When you later realize that you can't refute his points, ask yourself why you still hold the game's story/writing in such high regard. That's all I'm going to say.

That guy? The guy whose ME3 video I got one minute into because he was nitpicking every last little deatail about stuff I was really not important and was rather obnoxious about it? I guy I find to be rather annoying and tend to not agree with. Yeah I don't think I'd agree with him. Also, something you should know, even the best of games have plot holes, but I still love games with plot holes, because I find them to be little more than a speed bump on an exciting ride and plenty of people feel that way. They bug you and make you not like the game? Fair enough, but stop acting like your opinion is fact, it isn't. Also, explain your points yourself, don't tell people to go watch a 40 minute video of someone else's points

bobleponge:
If you had actually played that game, you'd know that the "liberal white racists" turn into the primary bad guys about half way through the game.

I am quite familiar with the various 'plot twists' of Bioshock Infinite.

Man that first five hours of Bioshock were great... and then the rest of the game happened.

Do4600:
You know, Infinite is a great game, it's visually impressive, it has a very engaging atmosphere, the combat is at least satisfying when you don't play it on hard difficulty, the sound design is top notch, the characters are more or less well written and they interact well, but, it would have been a better game if they had given certain things more work and more depth.

The biggest deficiency I see in Infinite is that the story begins to wobble a little in the middle and that gets amplified towards the end.

I really wanted them to use:

This guy knows what's up. Though I'd say it wobbles more than a little at the half mark, and then completely implodes on itself in the finale.

Song Bird was also incredibly underused.

Malisteen:
FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of conservative white racists: worst game of the year.

EA's not the only force in gaming studiously avoiding the fearful clutches of of self awareness, eh? ;) Otherwise, great yearly recap vid from Yahtzee, as usual.

Pfft, that implies that Infinite actually takes a stance on any of the presented issues.

Malisteen:

Anyone from Sudan or further North in Africa is white, anyone from the Mid East is white, and anyone to the West or South of Afghanistan is white.

Either way, both games are, generally, about murdering shithead white fundamentalists. It's just that one's a shitty game about murdering shithead Muslim fundamentalists, and one's an excellent game about murdering shithead Protestant fundamentalists. No one should feel any guilt for either of those things.

Since Ride to Hell gets the "Lifetime Achievement" award, does that mean it has knocked off ET and/or Superman 64 from that lofty perch?

If only they could rerelease aquaman or drake of the 99 dragons to compete for the TA

ITT: People try to convince other people they didn't enjoy a thing they claim they enjoyed.

What is the purpose behind even attempting something like that? Do you even have an objective, or are you just spewing hate without even an eye towards entertaining an audience? The story made perfect sense to me, other than the presence of vigors, the gameplay was a bit repetitive but held my interest long enough to finish, and the repeated use of the word objective in reference to quality of the story is making me a bit nauseous. It's like when snobby lit critics imply or outright say that science fiction/fantasy is inherently a worse genre than other genres: claiming there are objective rules that must be followed is a snobbish, elitist, and ultimately damaging, lie. There's no benefit in shoving art into a box. If it works, it works, and clearly people think it works.

Also, I just had to mention: "the 122 flipped coins all coming up heads" is a reference to Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead (at least the movie version). A rather brilliant one, in fact. And it's not 122 coins coming up heads in a row. It's 122 coins, each flipped in a new iteration of the loop, and in each iteration of the loop, it comes up heads- the same thing is happening each time you pass through. If they were really clever, the number would have increased each time you play through that section.

After I have play COD Ghost all the way through.... I consider it to be meh. It is retard beyond belief and makes no sense at all, but I still kinda like it. I would not put it in my worst 5 games list or the best 5 games.

I rented Beyond Two Souls from Redbox, because I knew it was going to be a worse version of Heavy Rain, and a much worse version of Indigo Prophecy. It amazes me how completely out of touch a developer can be on what an actual game is. And you know what, it was worth exactly what I rented it for: $2. So if ratings went by dollars it would garner a score of 0.3 out of 10. I also rented Tomb Raider, also for $2, then immediately went out and bought it. Yes it wasn't perfect, but at least it was a reimagining of a classic franchise that wasn't afraid to dump what didn't work and replace it with something new and fresh. I don't know if it was so appealing because I was playing it immediately after Beyond Two souls, but somehow I think it helped. One of my favorite games of the year was Remember Me. It also wasn't perfect, but I loved the environments, and the atmosphere and world I was immersed in. Just having a world that interests me can carry a game all on it's own, as long as the game play is at least tolerable, and I am a sucker for cyberpunkish futuristic worlds. My other top games of 2013 were A Link Between Worlds (even though the bosses were a little easy) and Dragons Crown, an incredible beat em up with a lot of depth and complexity.

I sometimes agree with much that Yahtzee says, and sometimes I don't, but I do believe his critiques are always spot on and that is what I appreciate about his work.

Malisteen:

bobleponge:

I am quite familiar with the various 'plot twists' of Bioshock Infinite.

See, you should have posted what you said to me in your PM (which I totally agreed with!). Not some low- quality "liberals think conservatives do THIS, but liberals to THIS too!" soundbite.

cefm:
Since Ride to Hell gets the "Lifetime Achievement" award, does that mean it has knocked off ET and/or Superman 64 from that lofty perch?

Well, Ride to Hell is only the second game in ten years to get a 1 on GameSpot (And in the history of the site), so I'd say it's in the Hall of Shame with them, if not taken the crown and knocked them down to 'Honorable Mention'.

Anyways, I know other people have said this already, but I'm gonna say it again; I was wholly expecting Luigi's Mansion 2 or Wind Waker HD to end up in his top five this year, given Yahtzees reviews of those were positively glowing by his standards.

Zaydin:
[quote="cefm" post="6.838071.20571960"]
Anyways, I know other people have said this already, but I'm gonna say it again; I was wholly expecting Luigi's Mansion 2 or Wind Waker HD to end up in his top five this year, given Yahtzees reviews of those were positively glowing by his standards.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Can hardly think of a fault with it beyond nitpicks.
FarCry Blood Dragon: Can hardly think of complaints beyond villains dying anti climatically and the gameplay not suiting the theme.

MGSR: Many complaints, can be boring at times, though is fun and wacky.

Huh. And Wind Waker wouldn't appear because "it's Wind Waker", it was practically a retro review.

Ehhh... the discussion...
My take:
Infinite disappoint me. I expected more. Cant give it more then a 6/10 (rates as barely above average in my book)

On a most basic level, the game was an arena wave-esque shooter, set up in a beautiful museum.
The problem is, games like Serious Sam and Painkiller are MUCH better arena/corridor shooters.
It did not make full use of its actually pretty damn decent hook mechanic. The "tear" mechanic was underused... and constantly teasing us with great possibility (the train scene where Elizabeth uses a passing train to block your route) but only delivering very stupid/not very interesting stuff to the battlefield.

To hamper it more, was the underdeveloped stealing mechanic and Booker's inability to communicate with anything. World felt lifeless. Cant say how annoyed I was at that shanty-town scene.
Felt like unfinished content.

Another problem was how stupid the enemies were and how pathetic as a villain Columbia looks like. The enemy AI is poor, and if it werent for the fact they were damage sponges, they would have been a non-challenge.
Seriously, attacking a nuclear superpower with airships? That is laughable. After the shock of a giant city appearing in the sky and the police not having the manpower to stop them (though honestly all it took was a single agent in 1912 to humiliate all the power of Columbia...) the military would render them to useless dust. World Domination should not have been their goal, or at least not in the way the cutscene showed it.

In my honest opinion there were MUCH better games this year. From the shooters perspective Metro: Last Light was MUCH better... IMO. Its world and storyline too were IMO on another level when compared to Bioshock.
But hey, I guess people like it for other reasons. Would like to discuss that.

Still, its disheartening (for me) that this game has gotten so many awards and games I like much more don't/ haven't.

On the other hand, a less egoistical thing that makes me feel even more disheartened is that the actual discussion on Infinite, what it did good and not so good is relatively poor. We have people not understanding some of the criticisms it takes (Jim) and people not formulating it well enough too. We also have camps of people that take REALLY elitist stances on both sides (*herp derp, stupid art elitists lying Infinite is not great*)(* you liked a stupid game that did not do anything right, you are inferior*).

And here I am, all holiday season playing the Thief trilogy which cost me exactly $7. I'm laughing all the way to the douche bank where douchey people get security deposit boxes filled with particularly rare moments of doucheiness.

Well I guess that finally cements my position as the only person in the world that thought Bioshock Infinite was "meh".

My game of the year by a long margin was AC4 which I have been playing on PS4. Which is equally as curios because as hard as it may seem to believe, I didn't like any of the previous ones. Played 1,2 and 3 for like a few hours each and lost interest. AC4 has me completely hooked. I nearly cried when Thatch died lol... Im on 93% complete and plan to finish it this weekend with any luck. Cant wait for the DLC and meanwhile I will be playing the add on campaign Aveline.

Cant wait for some more PS4 titles this year, particularly those with more PS4 development in them like The Division.

Honestly, I thought Infinite was pretty good, but there are two things I don't care for:
1. The two-weapon-slot limitation. I hate games that do that.
2. The "twist" halfway through that feels like Ken Levine was afraid to alienate conservatives and went for the cop-out "both sides do it" idea instead of actually picking a side.

God damn. Am I the only one that didn't really enjoy Bioshock Infinite?

DataSnake:
Honestly, I thought Infinite was pretty good, but there are two things I don't care for:
1. The two-weapon-slot limitation. I hate games that do that.
2. The "twist" halfway through that feels like Ken Levine was afraid to alienate conservatives and went for the cop-out "both sides do it" idea instead of actually picking a side.

With number two, I didn't really mind that. I swing as far and hard to the left as it is pretty much possible to do, but I also study history. It's just a thing that happens in a lot of violent revolutions.

Demonio Penguino:
God damn. Am I the only one that didn't really enjoy Bioshock Infinite?

If you read back over this thread, you'll notice you're in company. Admittedly, it mostly seems to be a company that considers themselves to be objectively correct in their dislike of the game, for some reason, but they do exist.

Azahul:
If you read back over this thread, you'll notice you're in company. Admittedly, it mostly seems to be a company that considers themselves to be objectively correct in their dislike of the game, for some reason, but they do exist.

I don't know man...BI is pretty much the game that let me lose all my remaining faith in the gaming press and everybody else except my friends when it comes to game recommendations.

EDIT: It's all good, if you liked it though. And I'd say if you didn't notice the wrongs, just ignore the controversy and ride with the fun you got out of it.

nuttshell:

Azahul:

I don't know man...BI is pretty much the game that let me lose all my remaining faith in the gaming press and everybody else except my friends when it comes to game recommendations.

EDIT: It's all good, if you liked it though. And I'd say if you didn't notice the wrongs, just ignore the controversy and ride with the fun you got out of it.

Thank you for that edit. A lot of the game's detractors in this thread seem to be under the impression that they can prove the game is impossible to like or enjoy. It's very strange. Personally, while I loved it, I can entirely see why people might not be comfortable with it. This is exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the "wrongs" people keep bringing up as evidence of the game being poor do turn out to be things I actually liked about the game's narrative. Proof positive of people liking different things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here