Asus Goes G-Sync With Republic of Gamers Monitor

Asus Goes G-Sync With Republic of Gamers Monitor

Asus will be a bringing a new, gamer-specific monitor to market later this year, and it's got the brand new Nvidia G-Sync hardware baked right in.

Read Full Article

OK this may be a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway cause I am looking for a new monitor to replace my 1080p one but will this Nvidia tech inside here do anything if you have an AMD GPU? Or are there other monitors that work well specifically with AMD GPU's?

Corralis:
OK this may be a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway cause I am looking for a new monitor to replace my 1080p one but will this Nvidia tech inside here do anything if you have an AMD GPU? Or are there other monitors that work well specifically with AMD GPU's?

G-SYNC is a proprietary Nvidia technology and requires a GPU that is G-Sync capable. As such only the newest or the new Nvidia GPUs are at all compatible with G-Sync

Without a special G-Sync GPU coupled to a special G-Sync monitor the system does precisely nothing. You need both.

Therein lies the problem. Why would i buy a 600 new monitor when i already have a decent monitor just to couple it with an overpriced brand new Nvidia GPU? And yes Nvidia have been overpricing their shit for decades, especially here in the UK. If you are THAT concerned about the impact Vsync makes on your framerates get a massive beefy GPU. You don't need to be locked into special expensive setups for a technology that might not even be supported in 2-3 years.

2 questions:

Is it an IPS panel?

Why can't I find another monitor that has display colours equivalent to a Dell Ultrasharp?

Scrumpmonkey:

Corralis:

G-SYNC is a proprietary Nvidia technology and requires a GPU that is G-Sync capable. As such only the newest or the new Nvidia GPUs are at all compatible with G-Sync

Without a special G-Sync GPU coupled to a special G-Sync monitor the system does precisely nothing. You need both.

Therein lies the problem. Why would i buy a 600 new monitor when i already have a decent monitor just to couple it with an overpriced brand new Nvidia GPU? And yes Nvidia have been overpricing their shit for decades, especially here in the UK. If you are THAT concerned about the impact Vsync makes on your framerates get a massive beefy GPU. You don't need to be locked into special expensive setups for a technology that might not even be supported in 2-3 years.

Yea that's what I thought. I do own an AMD 7970 GPU which destroys pretty much any game I play on it but my monitor is pretty old now (maybe 5+ years) and doesn't even have backlighting so it is time to replace it, I just don't know what to really go for.

I haven't had to buy a monitor in a while, is that overlay tech thing something that many monitors have?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-066-DE I have seen this monitor from Overclockers UK that does seem pretty good.

Corralis:

Yea that's what I thought. I do own an AMD 7970 GPU which destroys pretty much any game I play on it but my monitor is pretty old now (maybe 5+ years) and doesn't even have backlighting so it is time to replace it, I just don't know what to really go for.

Well ASUS monitors tend to be pretty excellent in my experience. If you own a 7970 (which is a VERY decent GPU) i would go for one of the 1080p 120hz+ asus range myself.

http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389048832&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+VG248QE

A freind of mine has one of these. It's pretty great.

Here's the Anandtech review of the feature:

http://anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Anand's bottom line: it's most useful when framerates are between 30 and 60, cause that's where you'd see the most stutter with VSync on, and the most tearing with VSync off.

Scrumpmonkey:

Corralis:

Well ASUS monitors tend to be pretty excellent in my experience. If you own a 7970 (which is a VERY decent GPU) i would go for one of the 1080p 120hz+ asus range myself.

http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389048832&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+VG248QE

Yea that looks pretty good, and not a bad price either, thanks.

Corralis:

While I personally find screen tearing to be very annoying I think the limitations inherent in G-Sync, mainly the fact you can only use it with certain Nvidia GPUs and the price for what is a decidedly average TN panel, rule it out for anyone who doesn't already have both:
1. a supported Nvidia GPU
and
2. a cheaper, lower end monitor

For people who already have nicer monitors, like 120/144Hz refresh rate monitors or IPS panel monitors G-Sync is a non-starter.

There are not AMD specific monitors and even this monitor will work with an AMD video card, you just wouldn't be able to use the G-Sync tech.

Amir Kondori:

While I personally find screen tearing to be very annoying I think the limitations inherent in G-Sync, mainly the fact you can only use it with certain Nvidia GPUs and the price for what is a decidedly average TN panel, rule it out for anyone who doesn't already have both;
1. a supported Nvidia GPU and,
2. a cheaper, lower end monitor

For people who already have nicer monitors, like 120/144Hz refresh rate monitors or IPS panel monitors G-Sync is a non-starter. There are not AMD specific monitors and even this monitor will work with an AMD video card, you just wouldn't be able to use the G-Sync tech.

UNHchabo:
Here's the Anandtech review of the feature:

http://anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Anand's bottom line: it's most useful when framerates are between 30 and 60, cause that's where you'd see the most stutter with VSync on, and the most tearing with VSync off.

The price for what you get is the real kicker here. The monitor i linked previously for Corralis is a IPS monitor with a huge amount of great features and even 3D capability for under or around $300. The G-Sync Monitor is $700. That's $400 more for a monitor with less features. Never mind that monitors over 23-24" get mildly impractical at normal viewing distances.

The left over $400 you can put towards GPU that can handle games without significant tearing or stuttering and have the added bonus of not being linked into a very narrow range of Nvidia GPUs. If you REALLY must eliminate all stuttering and tearing why not just get a 7990 with a water block or whatever R9 290 dual GPU monster AMD will be bringing to market pretty soon. Who needs G-Sync when you have RAW POWAR!

Scrumpmonkey:
The price for what you get is the real kicker here. The monitor i linked previously for Corralis is a IPS monitor with a huge amount of great features and even 3D capability for under or around $300. The G-Sync Monitor is $700. That's $400 more for a monitor with less features. Never mind that monitors over 23-24" get mildly impractical at normal viewing distances.

The left over $400 you can put towards GPU that can handle games without significant tearing or stuttering and have the added bonus of not being linked into a very narrow range of Nvidia GPUs. If you REALLY must eliminate all stuttering and tearing why not just get a 7990 with a water block or whatever R9 290 dual GPU monster AMD will be bringing to market pretty soon. Who needs G-Sync when you have RAW POWAR!

Early adopters pay more, but this technology will come down in price as volume goes up, and eventually I'm sure it'll be licensed or made open to the rest of the industry, or someone will make an open standard. We only use fixed-clock refresh rates because of backwards compatibility with CRTs, so it just makes sense that LCD monitors should update whenever a new frame is sent from the graphics card.

A faster graphics card will certainly reduce the artifacts of using a fixed-rate monitor, but it won't eliminate them. Let's say you have a 120Hz monitor, and a graphics card capable of a steady 119fps in your game (we'll pretend framerate variation doesn't happen).
-With VSync off you'll still have a tear-line in your monitor that moves from the bottom of the screen to the top once per second.
-With VSync on you have input lag of half a frame on each frame on average, and once a second you'll get stutter from the monitor showing the same image twice in a row, making your input lag at least two frames.

If you can use a system like GSync instead, the monitor will simply display the frame whenever it's finished rendering, so it minimizes input lag, and makes it so that even if your framerate varies wildly, as long as it stays between 30fps and the monitor's maximum refresh rate, every single rendered frame will be displayed as soon as possible.

** "Input lag" as described in my post is simplified to only mean that introduced by the timing mismatch between the GPU and monitor; Anandtech has a very good article on the subject of input lag in general here.

If they're that much more expensive, you might as well throw that up-charge at your next GPU instead and thus get rid of tearing that way.

Just when I thought the monitor I was going to buy was expensive, this then shows up to tease me and then sours me with it's expensive price.

Too bad I'm not one to wait around forever for the price to go down to an actual affordable price or I'd go for it, but then again this is Nvidia locking you to their GPU's since it's their tech in a monitor, I think I'll just pass entirely.

Oh man... I see another frivolous gaming expenditure coming on.

A gamer specific monitor with a 16:9 ratio and no choice of input doesn't sound very gamer specific at all. My 4 or 5 year old monitor has better resolution, far more input options, and works with any graphics card you happen to have. TV and phone/tablet displays keep getting better, but for some reason PC monitors just keep going backwards.

Scrumpmonkey:

Corralis:

That's my next purchase for my new PC this month if I can get a loan.

I've also heard that, that particular monitor also has support for GSync in case you want it, is it true or were they bullshitting?

I don't mind getting "locked" into Nvidia GPU's with that technology since I don't care for Ati anyway so I'm fine with that.

proghead:
If they're that much more expensive, you might as well throw that up-charge at your next GPU instead and thus get rid of tearing that way.

Well that's the paradox; if you leave VSync off, the faster your GPU renders frames, the more tear-lines you'll have. As I said above, if your frame rate just about matches your refresh rate, you'll have one tear-line, but if you triple your graphics card speed, you'll have three.

I can't stand having VSync on because of the input lag, and normally I don't care about tearing, but I recently replayed Half-Life 2: Episode 1 -- during the stalker-train sequence there's a heavy camera vibration, and it makes the tearing really apparent. I get around 250fps, so I'm getting five tear-lines.

UNHchabo:
Well that's the paradox; if you leave VSync off, the faster your GPU renders frames, the more tear-lines you'll have. As I said above, if your frame rate just about matches your refresh rate, you'll have one tear-line, but if you triple your graphics card speed, you'll have three.

I can't stand having VSync on because of the input lag, and normally I don't care about tearing, but I recently replayed Half-Life 2: Episode 1 -- during the stalker-train sequence there's a heavy camera vibration, and it makes the tearing really apparent. I get around 250fps, so I'm getting five tear-lines.

I meant with V-Sync on, of course. I don't notice any input lag.

Scrumpmonkey:

1) VG248QE is not IPS, it's a TN panel.
2) I'm not sure why you're comparing prices between a 1080p 144hz 23" monitor...and the world's first 1440p 120hz + GSync 27" monitor. It's also using a newly-developed special type of TN panel which provides better colors & contrast (not as good as IPS, but still very good). These two aren't even in the same league, and that whole "less features" thing seems to be pulled out of nowhere.

Scrumpmonkey:

I don't think you understand the difference between stuttering and low fps. The fact you recommended a 7990 (the king of stuttering) kinda shows that.
I'm also doubting whether you know what G-Sync actually does.

Yuuki:

I don't think you understand the difference between stuttering and low fps. The fact you recommended a 7990 (the king of stuttering) kinda shows that.

I'm guessing your a Nvidia fan... I've used a 7990 setup pretty heavily. It's very smooth, in fact the thing i noticed most about it was the LACK of stuttering :S

I know exactly what G-Sync does. It makes idiots pay way too much for their monitors.

Scrumpmonkey:

Yuuki:

I'm guessing your a Nvidia fan... I've used a 7990 setup pretty heavily. It's very smooth, in fact the thing i noticed most about it was the LACK of stuttering :S

I'm not talking about anecdotal evidence...happens a LOT in PC discussions, "well MY Razer product didn't break so they are 100% reliable!". What I was getting at is that going into multi-GPU realms always INCREASES microstutter, not lessen it. Simply due to the way alternate frame-rendering (AFR) works with 2 cards, it always introduces increased latency and more frequent spikes...happens in both SLI and CFX configs. The best way to minimize stutter is to go with the single-best GPU that one can afford. What people "notice" is up to them, but all the info & measurements are out.
You recommended going for a 7990 to lessen tearing and stuttering with "raw power", when neither of those things have anything to do with raw power.
The whole reason tearing exists is because framerate is not perfectly matched with refresh rate - they have to be synchronized for there to be zero tearing. Pumping-up the FPS won't change anything because you're still not synchronized and vSync isn't the solution. The whole reason stuttering exists is due to dropped frames or high-latency frames causing spikes. Buying a 7990 may pump out more framerates to the naked eye, but it still increases microstutter and it still doesn't fix tearing.

(no point calling me an "nVidia fan" btw, considering all the hardware I support it would make you sound silly)

Scrumpmonkey:
I know exactly what G-Sync does. It makes idiots pay way too much for their monitors.

Hmm yeah you're a bit beyond reasonable discussion. The most I can do is link Anand's article, but I guess you're likely to call him an idiot too.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Good day.

Yuuki:
Snip

All the signs point of G-Sync only being on extremely expensive monitors for the foreseeable future. Bottom line; you're never going to sell me on an incremental improvement when it takes both a change of GPU and a change in monitor. Especially when both seem so overpriced for what you actually gain. Yes it's a neat idea on paper but here in the real world most people are still just worried about getting their games to run at playable frame rates.

G-Sync doesn't suck, i like the idea, but right now it's HORRIBLE value for money.

Scrumpmonkey:

Yuuki:
Snip

All the signs point of G-Sync only being on extremely expensive monitors for the foreseeable future. Bottom line; you're never going to sell me on an incremental improvement when it takes both a change of GPU and a change in monitor. Especially when both seem so overpriced for what you actually gain. Yes it's a neat idea on paper but here in the real world most people are still just worried about getting their games to run at playable frame rates.

G-Sync doesn't suck, i like the idea, but right now it's HORRIBLE value for money.

Oh the GSync module itself is definitely horrible value right now, nobody can argue that. It's brand new tech and AMD are already looking to compete with it with FreeSync. What we should be happy about is the CONCEPT, it will spread like wildfire because what a braindead-obvious feature it is for PC gaming regardless of people's hardware or budgets. Watch the prices drop like rocks as cheaper alternatives start popping-up.

But you can't judge this monitor (what thread is about) because it has absolutely zero competing products. It's the first of it's kind...1440p + 120hz is something many gamerse have been DYING for, it brings the best of both worlds. Everyone got their hopes up high for IPS, but it seems IPS simply isn't capable of 120hz + 1ms response so we'll have to settle with this..for now.

GSync isn't the main feature of this monitor, it's the icing on the cake. As an overall package you are getting a 1440p 120hz + GSync for $800, and while that isn't exactly a ultra-hot price, it's affordable for the kind of crowd that is interested.
First-generation products are always horribly priced...I mean the first 4K 60hz monitor started off at $3500, I shit you not!

Yuuki:

Oh the GSync module itself is definitely horrible value right now, nobody can argue that. It's brand new tech and AMD are already looking to compete with it with FreeSync. What we should be happy about is the CONCEPT, it will spread like wildfire because what a braindead-obvious feature it is for PC gaming regardless of people's hardware or budgets. Watch the prices drop like rocks as cheaper alternatives start popping-up.

But you can't judge this monitor (what thread is about) because it has absolutely zero competing products. It's the first of it's kind...1440p + 120hz is something many gamerse have been DYING for, it brings the best of both worlds. Everyone got their hopes up high for IPS, but it seems IPS simply isn't capable of 120hz + 1ms response so we'll have to settle with this..for now.

GSync isn't the main feature of this monitor, it's the icing on the cake. As an overall package you are getting a 1440p 120hz + GSync for $800, and while that isn't exactly a ultra-hot price, it's affordable for the kind of crowd that is interested.
First-generation products are always horribly priced...I mean the first 4K 60hz monitor started off at $3500, I shit you not!

The reason I'm a little pessimistic is that Nvidia and AMD both have a habit of pushing their proprietary features as a way to skew the market. I remember there was a lot of bluster about Physx but what it boiled down to was Nvidia creeping it's marketing further into game's features and reduced API standardization. The industry could really do with agreeing a more uniform approach to physics simulation features akin to how things like Open GL and other features are kept uniform across cards. The same could prove true for some aspects of Mantle.

Not to poop on the party but derivative systems to G-Sync will be caught in in lawsuits, IP disputes and possibly expensive licensing deals for decades to come.

Scrumpmonkey:
Not to poop on the party but derivative systems to G-Sync will be caught in in lawsuits, IP disputes and possibly expensive licensing deals for decades to come.

Well this is nVidia and Asus we're talking about, not Apple. The concept is too good for derivatives NOT to come-up, and when they do it's in nVidia/Asus's best interests to compete with them instead of attempting lawsuits (which will only hurt their image).

As I said, FreeSync has already popped up...that was pretty quick.

Yuuki:

Scrumpmonkey:

Well this is nVidia and Asus we're talking about, not Apple. The concept is too good for derivatives NOT to come-up, and when they do it's in nVidia/Asus's best interests to compete with them instead of attempting lawsuits (which will only hurt their image).

As I said, FreeSync has already popped up...that was pretty quick.

Then let us make a hopeful toast; to innovation and competition driving down the price of cool shit we really really want XD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here