Alien: Isolation Reveal Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Alien: Isolation Reveal Preview

So there's a new game in the Alien franchise coming out.

Read Full Article

Well, I had to clench my butt after seeing this little reveal.
So you are tell me that this game has ...
- Horror.
- One alien.
- No guns.
- And NO Colonial Marines/Merc in sight.

I have to admit that trailer scared me a tad, of the actual horror and the fact that it might be another Colonial Marines like trailer, you know the one that promised so much.

Sorry for saying this, but I'm not trusting anything yet, but I will hope and pray that this game might actually erase THOSE memories of that game.

So they're trying to make Outlast with Aliens....could work but it'll likely not.

Picking up an "Outlast in space" vibe from this - which makes me very excited...! Using Ripley's daughter (before she got married, apparently) seems a little unnecessary, but at least the devs aren't screaming "We're canon! This is a legitimate in-between-quel!" like the A:CM asshats

Keeping an open mind and a watchful eye...

[Edit]
Damn - BigTuk beat me to the Outlast ref...

This might just mend the hole in my heart caused by Colonial marines, though I am a bit skeptical seeing as we have merely seen a trailer, and we all know how that turned out the first time.

Well I think I speak for a good number of us who would just like to say SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

this sounds promising as long they really keep their word for it. just the thought of having one alien and nothing to defend your self sounds just delicious.
will keep an eye on it.

Shut up, take my money I'M IN. Seeing the gameplay and actually feeling dread just from watching it makes me very excited, especially as a fan of the franchise. Also, Outlast in space I'm not too angry about. It fits the alien franchise so very well, and I love the idea of just you running from one alien. Not twenty, or one hundred, just one.

The one thing I've noticed from the screenshots is that they need more atmospheric fog. If you remember the fiasco that was Silent Hill HD, it was the thick fog that really sold the horror aspect of the original game - Seems to me other developers still haven't picked up on that yet, even if it's considered cheap from a graphics perspective.

Is it me or does this game look like a point and click adventure?

It reminds me a bit of one, but with a sci-fi theme.

So it's an Amnesia clone? Fine by me! If you gotta rip something off that's not a bad one to go with. It looks great and the ship looks straight out of the movie (if a little roomier). Definitely going to keep my eye on this one.

My only gripe is that the main character is Ripley's daughter. Just, why? That's so dumb! Ripley didn't have some special genetics that made her better suited to fighting xenomorphs (At least in the first three...), and Aliens really seemed to imply that Amanda lived a long, happy, boring life.

I was one of those detractors who, back when this game was announced, didn't see the point of involving Ripley's daughter. In retrospect it doesn't really matter. It's not like the past 10 22 years of failed attempts (counting both movies and games) exactly helped.

It's up to the new generation to walk up, take a look around, and say "Yes, I can do something with this." So bring your A game, young people. And I'll leave the pop-cultural/emotional baggage out of it.

I am only really afraid of the fact that it is a Creative Assembly game and it will be riddled with horrid bugs and mediocre game play that will never live up to promises. Their track record as of late has been less than inspiring, especially after Rome II. I know, different team... though it is the same studio. You can't change a nature of overhyping a product and failing to deliver.

I am in. Done. Sold. I will preorder this on my One, as soon as I can. The glimpses of the game in this trailer frightened me in a way that I havent been frightened since.... well, since I saw the original ALIEN trailer before the movie came out in 1979, and it absolutely terrified me as a kid. Just these few glimpses made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and I found myself holding my breath, and I am giddy as a two year old for this game already!

Riff Moonraker:
I am in. Done. Sold. I will preorder this on my One, as soon as I can. The glimpses of the game in this trailer frightened me in a way that I havent been frightened since.... well, since I saw the original ALIEN trailer before the movie came out in 1979, and it absolutely terrified me as a kid. Just these few glimpses made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and I found myself holding my breath, and I am giddy as a two year old for this game already!

Don't do it. Do not preorder this game. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and all, and I'm super, super excited to see more, but remember Colonial Marines and how many people got suckered in to preordering it based off of trailers and stuff. Wait and see how it turns out before gambling your money.

Mcoffey:

My only gripe is that the main character is Ripley's daughter. Just, why? That's so dumb! Ripley didn't have some special genetics that made her better suited to fighting xenomorphs (At least in the first three...), and Aliens really seemed to imply that Amanda lived a long, happy, boring life.

It may be unnecessary, but I wouldn't call it dumb.

It makes sense that Amanda would be interested in Ripley's disappearance, and it provides an extra connection to the films for the player. That's reason enough as far as I'm concerned. (I'm also not complaining at the chance for a female lead in an Alien game...)

And hey, if you do get caught by the alien, not only have you died, you've also screwed up Alien-canon. So that's an extra incentive to stay alive! :P

This stuff is not scary.
I know i am playing a survival horror game, i know what things to do to avoid contact and survive. Its the same every time.
You cannot instill fear if the player is restrictd to hiding and evasion from the get go. All that makes is a save/reload trial and error game.

AVP, the 1999 one, was scary to an extent.
You, alone, with your gun and simply not enough light. Aliens can come from any vent or spawn location, your ammo is limited, your light also is limited, you can not simply outsneak them (and how do you hide from a species that sees your IR signature anyway...). You HAVE to fight. That gets the heart pounding - the combination of setup, atmosphere and the ever present specter of YOU being inadequate at shooting aliens fast enough before they claw your heart out of your torso.

Its always scarier if you have the impression of being able to fight.

The_Darkness:

Mcoffey:

It may be unnecessary, but I wouldn't call it dumb.

It makes sense that Amanda would be interested in Ripley's disappearance, and it provides an extra connection to the films for the player. That's reason enough as far as I'm concerned. (I'm also not complaining at the chance for a female lead in an Alien game...)

And hey, if you do get caught by the alien, not only have you died, you've also screwed up Alien-canon. So that's an extra incentive to stay alive! :P

I get that, and I am glad they didn't just whip up Stubbly White Protagonist #1678, but it still feels a bit forced. If a company ship goes missing and suddenly turns up again, but with all the crew missing, would you send a team of investigators, or one of the crews' loved ones? They'll probably have an appropriate explanation for why it's Amanda, but right now it just feels like they wanted to keep a Ripley in the spotlight for name recognition.

I don't know whether to jizz in my pants or shit in them.

Furioso:

Riff Moonraker:

Don't do it. Do not preorder this game. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and all, and I'm super, super excited to see more, but remember Colonial Marines and how many people got suckered in to preordering it based off of trailers and stuff. Wait and see how it turns out before gambling your money.

I know, I know. :( I almost... ALMOST got suckered by the Aliens: Colonial Marines, too, but saw the writing on the wall. I just keep hoping, and keep getting let down, that one day someone will make THAT game with Alien. Now I am wanting this to be THAT game, and so far it sure looks like it could be.... but yeah, I want to see more, and hear more first.

Im liking the fact that the Alien actually seems to have an AI instead of scripted jump scares, Outlast suffered from being more like a carnival ride then a game.

A nice middle ground would be doable, very limited ammo, space station and all imagine you could find a pistol or shotgun and some ammo somewhere on a big station like that, heck a full armory would not be unusual, make your access to firearms and ammo force you to choose when and where to fight and when and where to avoid and run.

If its just avoid avoid run run run, to me that just sounds exhausting, but some people love that kind of gameplay its been done before, and really it sounds more alien.

Really though ACM on one side and rome 2 on the other and almost want to set my anticipation meter for this game at exactly zero.

While it maybe be a different team at CA it is CA a studio notorious for buggy unfinished releases, spotty support, and a seemingly willingness to throw long term fans under the bus trying to broaden total wars disney appeal and managing to make something so broken and dumbed down most people just simply uninstall it and go dig out rome 1 and mod it.

Just saying this game has ALOT of baggage on its shoulders. Not just the whole gb fraud with acm stuff.

Since I never bought into the travesty that was A:CM I'd say I'm in for this, though from what can be seen the game is going to be a gunless experience so i guess I'm going to have to play AVP 2010 if I'm to get my Alien and gun experience until a new Aliens game with gun gameplay comes along (probably another5-6 years from now).

Riff Moonraker:

Furioso:

Riff Moonraker:

I know, I know. :( I almost... ALMOST got suckered by the Aliens: Colonial Marines, too, but saw the writing on the wall. I just keep hoping, and keep getting let down, that one day someone will make THAT game with Alien. Now I am wanting this to be THAT game, and so far it sure looks like it could be.... but yeah, I want to see more, and hear more first.

I didn't pre-order that either, just think about what would actually be lost if you don't pre-order. Pre order bonuses are almost always pointless or just plain bad (pointless challenge levels) and it's not like if you don't get it on day one the game will vanish forever. I prefer to be safe.

DocZombie:
Picking up an "Outlast in space" vibe from this - which makes me very excited...! Using Ripley's daughter (before she got married, apparently) seems a little unnecessary, but at least the devs aren't screaming "We're canon! This is a legitimate in-between-quel!" like the A:CM asshats

Probably because it might not be, unlike Colonial Marines, which IS.

I don't want to play this game =[

I mean, I'll buy it and I want everyone else to buy it and I want the games industry to see everyone buying it and realize that games like this work so much better than "You are a war god, here is all the guns ever. now go Kill Kill Kill" games but I don't want to play it // This looks and feels as scary as the first Alien film

I don't want to be alone in the dark with a single alien hunting me

Also I did love the music playing, it felt and sounded like the original film which just makes it better

-M

Mcoffey:
...Aliens really seemed to imply that Amanda lived a long, happy, boring life.

Of course Amanda lived a happy life, with no Alien encounters whatsoever. And Ash, he didn't really betray you on our orders did he, it was only an unfortunate malfunction. Now, let's all head over to LV-426 to eradicate these Aliens once and for all. No, we aren't going to try to bring one back, don't you trust me? Just because I'm from The Company, doesn't mean I'm not a nice guy...

Another Aliens game? What could go wrong?

cerebus23:
A nice middle ground would be doable, very limited ammo, space station and all imagine you could find a pistol or shotgun and some ammo somewhere on a big station like that, heck a full armory would not be unusual, make your access to firearms and ammo force you to choose when and where to fight and when and where to avoid and run.

A middle ground that could work would be having the guns not kill the alien but scare him off or at least hurt him.

From the preview they say that the alien here is an AI and not a scripted event so if the player managed to hurt him it would mean that the AI would fall back for a while giving the player a way to fight back without feeling more powerfull then the alien itself.

No. Not again. Don't think I could take this being awful after the seven-year anti-climax that was 'Aliens: Colonial Marines'. Please be good...

Melodrama aside, I'm intrigued by the trailer and this preview. Lots of promising ideas seem to be being implemented, and I'll be watching for future gameplay videos of this.

Thanks for the preview!

This is the Alien game I've always wanted. Yeah, Aliens was an awesome movie and the marines were cool, but all the games based on them never really tickled my fancy (to me they all seemed like CoD with the Alien sticker slapped on). But this... this is what I'm talking about!

Possible gripe: I hope that the other tools (like the cutting one we saw) are used for more than one function (like cutting emergency panels open). What I mean is that when we hit a snag we are able to use all the tools we've collected so far and have multiple ways to solve the problem instead of just a singular, scripted answer.

I really really really want this to succeed for multiple reasons.

1. I finally get a good Aliens game. Hurray!
2. This will apply a much needed healing solution to the gaping wound left by colonial marines. Hurray!
3. AAA publishers will no longer be able to say that true survival horror is dead. Hip, hip, hurray!

But I'm skeptical because, you know, Colonial Marines...

sounds like they've just gone and made a game that people want... now where is the bolt on multiplayer?

I dunno. This looks cool. However, at this point, I am so used to having ample waves of aliens fall to my arsenal, it just seems odd to be running away from just ONE. Yes, I know, no weapons and all, it still feels odd to me.

As for Creative Assembly, they've generally created fun, pretty, and competent works, if not necessarily lasting memorable or groundbreaking. More power to them. However, I hope they stick to the low-profile mindset, rather than fooling themselves themselves into "making a blockbuster."

You know game devs, if I wanted to play amnesia twenty times I could just do that, you don't need to all jump up and make the exact same game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here