Zero Punctuation: Knack

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Knack

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Knack.

Watch Video

I swear I've never heard this game before, but I guess I won't really be caught up on PS4 games until I actually invest in the console. And from the way you've described it, I doubt I will be investing in this particular game any time soon either.

I hear the multiplayer doesn't fare so well either as the screen doesn't pull out to accommodate 2 people playing and stays focused on player 1 even as player 2 walks off screen.

The art style looks alright though.

Knack never really interested me anyway, but since it inspired that wonderful 'ack-a-thon' at the end then I guess I should thank it. Though the repetitive 'consoles are shit and said consoles cause the games to be shit' thing is going to just carry on. Now to strike at the 6th Generation for all having terrible launches (even though they came out more than a decade ago, mind you) for no other reason than 'why not'.

I still can't imagine getting 'Knack is cack' out of my head for a good few hours now.

Yahtzee was exceedingly negative about Knack in this video.

First review of the new year and already we may have a contender for the Bottom 5 list

Okay, now I have to buy this game just to find out what Barry White chatting up a jar of Nutella sounds like.

I'd love to hear Yahtzee try gangster rap, just once, please.

OT: I'd love to see a character who can only operate through the means of super villainy, like torturing their lover with kitchen utensils is their way of asking what they want for dinner.

Why on earth would watering your plants with blood be considered evil? Blood makes for really good fertiliser.

Yahtzee's theroretical Katamari brawling game sounds brilliant. Which developer might be crazy enough to make it do you reckon?

Yahtzee certainly has a knack for making negative reviews.

I bet no one saw that pun coming!

So the weekly rhymedown is taking its toll.

Eldritch Warlord:
Yahtzee certainly has a knack for making negative reviews.

I bet no one saw that pun coming!

and unlike Yahtzee your not getting paid

04whim:
Okay, now I have to buy this game just to find out what Barry White chatting up a jar of Nutella sounds like.

Why not just go to Youtube and Watch a Cutscene from Knack? It's free (Well, more free then buying the game) and easy to do.

It's a shame that going by most reviews this game isn't very good since it looked very interesting, it could have been the first game to make it on my reasons I might get a next gen console list.

This has to be the best zero punctuation of late.

So Knack is basically the Video Game version of:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/2009-The-Basement

Congratulations Loading Ready Run, you could write video game narratives!

I don't see why anyone is surprised; knack and just about everything on the Current gen console line up is shit. Why anyone would ever buy one of these overpriced VCRs now, rather then in a year or two once they're on sale and have some decent games, is beyond me.

Then again, the Wii U has been out for a year and damn if I'm not hard up to think of a game it has that I want to play.

Maybe Wonderful 101? That new Smash bros when it comes out with it's inevitable half dozen fox clones and disappointing new additions?

eh.

Thank you for giving me more justification for not bothering to buy a PS4.

Now, just verbally ruin some Xbox One titles and I'll be satisfied with not getting that system either.

I have a suspicion that it was originally only planned as a little demo to show what the PS4 can do. After a while they looked at it and thought: "I think we're onto something here!" and then went on to make a "whole game" out of it. And so they did. They stretched a funny little idea so far and thin, it turned out to be exactly that. A gimmicky little bit of nothing.

Nutella is pronounced with a long u, like NEW-tella.

VikingKing:

Now, just verbally ruin some Xbox One titles and I'll be satisfied with not getting that system either.

He did that already with Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

VikingKing:

You need justification from semi-famous internet celebrities to not buy consoles you don't like? Sounds kinda sad.

This game just let me know that while Mark Cerny is a lovely indivdual and has a lot of good ideas, he shouldn't be in charge of making an entire game. Apparently he just doesn't have ENOUGH good ideas to make it work. The other issue is he was trying to make old school platforming work with absolutely no innovation other than pretty pretty particles. Size changing would've worked if the gameplay changed at least a little, but it doesn't.

And it's not like tech demos can't be really fun. Hell, ResoGun is just a giant tech demo, but it's done by the Super Stardust HD folks, and is apparently addictive and fucking awesome. It's also basically FREE... which doesn't hurt.

Was anyone reminded of this trailer at the last part of this review?

What is it with critics and the word "ludonarrative dissonance" lately? I don't think it means what they think it means.

OlasDAlmighty:

To-may-to, tom-mah-to

Also I'd think Nuh-tella would make more sense. As in Nut-ella. Cause y'know... there are nuts in it.

OT: When I saw this thing being advertised at the PS4 info thingy a while back, I ahd to laugh at that guy speaking who seemed so damn excited about it (likely only cause he helped make it). I knew this wasn't going to be big. Nothing about it looks jaw-dropping or even mildly impressive in the least. Stupid-fun gameplay wsa the only aspect it could possibly have succeeded in but it even failed at that it seems.

Quiotu:

VikingKing:

You need justification from semi-famous internet celebrities to not buy consoles you don't like? Sounds kinda sad.

This game just let me know that while Mark Cerny is a lovely indivdual and has a lot of good ideas, he shouldn't be in charge of making an entire game. Apparently he just doesn't have ENOUGH good ideas to make it work. The other issue is he was trying to make old school platforming work with absolutely no innovation other than pretty pretty particles. Size changing would've worked if the gameplay changed at least a little, but it doesn't.

And it's not like tech demos can't be really fun. Hell, ResoGun is just a giant tech demo, but it's done by the Super Stardust HD folks, and is apparently addictive and fucking awesome. It's also basically FREE... which doesn't hurt.

You took that more seriously then I'd intended. >.<

I miss Crash Bandicoot :-(

Antsh:

You're not alone man. You're not alone. :(
But it's not gritty and realistic enough for todays market.

Can't think of a single game console that wouldn't have benefited from delaying its launch for about a year is fucking right. I mean the WiiU only just became worth buying and it's still only about 7-8 games on it, compared to the massive library the old gen has by now why anyone would willingly waste money on replacing their current majesty of gaming bliss with some 500$ brick that's inferior to PCs made three years ago with absolutely no fucking games on em is beyond me.

Shame Knack sucks though. I only heard about it from some trailers used in other peoples videos where they rambled about the next gen, nothing where it actually was a video about the game itself, but I did think it kinda looked nice. Had a cute little art style that reminded me of Pixar movies. Shame such nice visuals got wasted on a piss poor game.

Wait? Heinz Doofinfimertz from Phenias and Ferb is the villain of Knack?

Thank you Yahtzee for once again reminding me why I currently have no need to buy a PS4 right now. Knack is probably my biggest disappointment of 2013. I hate, hate, HATE when interesting ideas are wasted on badly made games. That's what really needs remakes nowadays: badly made games with unique ideas being wasted due to incompetent dev teams.

Piecewise:
I don't see why anyone is surprised; knack and just about everything on the Current gen console line up is shit. Why anyone would ever buy one of these overpriced VCRs now, rather then in a year or two once they're on sale and have some decent games, is beyond me.

Then again, the Wii U has been out for a year and damn if I'm not hard up to think of a game it has that I want to play.

Maybe Wonderful 101? That new Smash bros when it comes out with it's inevitable half dozen fox clones and disappointing new additions?

eh.

::headdesk:: 1, yes you should try Wonderful 101. It's not great but it's still pretty good. 2. Disappointing new additions? Yeah thanks for reminding me why I can't stand the fighting game community: because they can't be pleased with whatever characters become playable in a fighting game. 3. Half dozen Fox clones? So far only one clone has been confirmed. I know it's likely inevitable there's more but you're implying that everyone plays like Fox?

Now you're reminding me why I can't take criticism anymore: Because it's more whining than actual criticism. And that goes for everyone who's been attacking Nintendo lately. Maybe you shouldn't play video games at all anymore if you have to fabricate BS like that.

Knack (like Killzone: Shadowfall) feels like a rushed tech demo that wants to look nice and show off its tech, but it falls short of being a good game.

Hopefully Infamous Second Son isn't like this and its actually a fun game.

OlasDAlmighty:

No. No it's not. It's got nuts in it. It's pronounced like nut.

Maybe in some *other* language it might be pronounced differently.

Antsh:

You can still play it, you know. I spent a very happy day playing Crash Bandicoot 2 on a PS1 emulator the other day and was pleased to discover I could still remember every level in detail. Truly one of the great games *sniff*

Glad Yahtzee went on about Crash Bandicoot being a good game. Might have gone fanboy rage.

Still, that leaves me with less to comment on so... Nice ending rhymes?

TheSniperFan:

Antsh:

You're not alone man. You're not alone. :(
But it's not gritty and realistic enough for todays market.

Join the club. I still don't understand the mess about who OWNS Crash Bandicoot now. Does Naughty Dog think they're too "mature" for it now?

Anyway, hilarious video, Yahtzee! I loved the "Dance of the 7 Smallpox Blankets", the Barry White voice bit, and the "ack" sound rhymes at the end there. I'd like to see you something like that in your next Rhymedown video.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 47492)