Hands (and Head) On With Oculus VR's Latest Prototype

Hands (and Head) On With Oculus VR's Latest Prototype

Oculus is at CES 2014 with the latest version of its Rift VR headset. Codenamed "Crystal Cove," there are a few new tricks this time around, and the hardware is closer than ever to retail ready.

Read Full Article

I can't get any more hyped for this.
After this gets released I'm staying inside my cave for at least a month

Exciting stuff. I'm also trying really hard not to get excited for EVE VR. CCP hasn't stated clearly whether they're going to include a single player, and playing a twitch-based multiplayer space shooter from New Zealand probably isn't going to work.

So yeah. Hype hype hype etc.

This is going to be so awesome. Especially with this new stuff with the IR camera...

I had a chance to use the developer version of the Rift at Siggraph last summer but it was combined with this cool motion capture technology. It tracked the Rift and its movements, letting you actually walk around, crouch, lean around, etc. and the immersion was jaw dropping (even with the blurry low res dev version).
The demo they had was a test chamber type room like in Portal and they had you walk on a small platform that would raise up 50 feet in the air. The guys giving the demo would then have you walk off the platform and fall. No big deal in a typical videogame, but with the rift? It was legitimately scary! One woman trying it out got so freaked out they had to end the demo early :P

My only worry with this is the weight. There are headsets that are on the market now that are uncomfortable to use after a very short time. These glasses have all the weight in front, I'm very worried the neck will get way too stressed for this to be particularly useful :\

Anyone have any experiences about this?

Still seems too heavy and too uncomfortable to wear for any longer period of gaming. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been tricked by "VR" before..

tzimize:
My only worry with this is the weight.

Realitycrash:
Still seems too heavy and too uncomfortable to wear for any longer period of gaming.

The devkit version weighted just 379 gramm, so unless those new infrared dots on it are made of Ununoctium, I'm pretty sure that it's stil about as heavy as a pair of skiing goggles.

Entitled:

tzimize:
My only worry with this is the weight.

Realitycrash:
Still seems too heavy and too uncomfortable to wear for any longer period of gaming.

The devkit version weighted just 379 gramm, so unless those new infrared dots on it are made of Ununoctium, I'm pretty sure that it's stil about as heavy as a pair of skiing goggles.

Well, damn. Shut up and take my money.jpg

looks interesting but i dont use a controller so i guess ill be skipping it

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or