No Right Answer: TV Show That Should Be A Videogame

Pages 1 2 NEXT

TV Show That Should Be A Videogame

Chris and Kyle bring up two of our favorite TV shows, and why they would make excellent videogames. No, not you, Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Watch Video

I agree with Kyle, both of those games need to get made.

"Lana. Lana! LANNNNAAAAA!"

Thought he was gonna lose right there. :lol:

Pffft. You two are so silly.. the real answer is right behind both of you on the shelf!

Seriously, a full Stargate game would be the bawss sawss, since you could have shooting, exploration, vehicle sections, dialogue choices, special attributes for each of the squad members, and you've got a universe that's got metric fucktons of lore that you can pull from! I want to see all of that in a Mass Effect-style big-ass game.

an annoyed writer:
Pffft. You two are so silly.. the real answer is right behind both of you on the shelf!

Seriously, a full Stargate game would be the bawss sawss, since you could have shooting, exploration, vehicle sections, dialogue choices, special attributes for each of the squad members, and you've got a universe that's got metric fucktons of lore that you can pull from! I want to see all of that in a Mass Effect-style big-ass game.

Although I really would like to see a supernatural game and a telltale archer game would be a riot your completely right. How has Stargate not been made into a game yet? Like seriously you can do so much with it the idea is almost perfect. Portal, new world where anything can happen from medieval to ultra advanced, crazy fights, little camp, lots of sci fi, great characters, and just a world that has never ending potential.

http://www.stargateworldsgame.com/

I'm not so sure about a Supernatural game. A PnP game maybe, but video game? I could see it being like Secret World almost..

We've had a Hangover game, or at least a Hangover sidequest. I'm thinking of Skyrim's "A Night to Remember" quest, where you randomly meet a guy in a bar, start drinking, black out, wake up on the other side of the game world, and hijinks ensue.

They picked my two top tv shows of all time. I approve of this episode.

Makabriel:
I'm not so sure about a Supernatural game. A PnP game maybe, but video game? I could see it being like Secret World almost..

I was thinking the same thing. Supernatural is not quite the right property for a video game, but a good tabletop RPG would be right up it's alley.

You want a video game of magical demon-fighters with quips and awesome? Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. Think about it. Set in Sunnydale, so your level designers don't have to come up with a new small town every mission. There's the Big Bad you have to foil over the course of the game, with minor demons and vampires as open-world subplots that you have to deal with (or else the city will descend into madness). You've got a good crop of long-lasting characters you can interact with face-to-face, rather than just the brothers and the NPC of the week (plus, you can find the clues and leave the un-fun research to be handled by them off-screen).

Supernatural... it would be SUPER(natural)!
Anyway, I'd love that for sure!!! :D

Seriously! Alpha Protocol, where three of the dialogue options are just being a dick, and the fourth is take a drink. I would give Obsidian all of my money.

Deadly Premonition mod = Supernatural? Tooling round a town, finding clues, working out whats going on and foiling a scheme by somebody that's not Crowley (cause that's been done) Archer is a fantastic show but it would be terrible in anything but a novelty skin for any random genre.

The Supernatural game sounds like Alan Wake meets Silent Hill, which doesn't sound too bad.

As much as I love Archer the show, it wouldn't work as a game at all. It would just end up like any Simpsons/South Park/etc. game where they beat you over the head with references from the show. I can just re-watch the show if I want that.

Yeah I can easily see Archer being a videogame, it will be one of those 3rd person shooting spy game but with ALOT more wisecrack and with a drinking minigame to hoot!

Also the miltidialogue moment would be either be "him with his hand out while drinking", "Lana, LANA!" or a dickish remark and one of the ending would be an "Boop"!

an annoyed writer:

there was a stargate game in production. The beta looked to be really, really good, and it got canceled from licensing disputes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Worlds

TechTim:

an annoyed writer:

there was a stargate game in production looked to be really really good and it got scrapped
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Worlds

I'm well aware. There was also a third-person shooter that was released, but it was multiplayer-only and got shut down a year after release. That franchise has had it really rough.

Dude, you do a perfect Archer impression! If H. john Benjamin's unavailable to do the voice for the game, it should be you!

Thunderous Cacophony:

Makabriel:

I was thinking the same thing. Supernatural is not quite the right property for a video game, but a good tabletop RPG would be right up it's alley.

You want a video game of magical demon-fighters with quips and awesome? Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. Think about it. Set in Sunnydale, so your level designers don't have to come up with a new small town every mission. There's the Big Bad you have to foil over the course of the game, with minor demons and vampires as open-world subplots that you have to deal with (or else the city will descend into madness). You've got a good crop of long-lasting characters you can interact with face-to-face, rather than just the brothers and the NPC of the week (plus, you can find the clues and leave the un-fun research to be handled by them off-screen).

I'm sure they did make a Buffy game, back in the PS2/XBOX/Gamecube era. I forgot how good it was.

I lost it at the "LANA" button.

We now need to create a Kickstarter to create the Archer game.

Wait, other people on this site have heard about archer... I'm so happy right now, or at least i would be if i hadn't just seen my hipster status crumble into dust... but wutevs

This episode made me squee with joy that these guys and lots of other people love that under-exposed show as much as me. Only disappointment for me was the lack of Dr. Krieger. Seriously it would have made a great gameplay addition to be able to summon up Dr. Krieger's inventions to fight by your side.

awww Pigley *sniff

Supernatural should have won.

why?

cause this was all I could think when Criss was talking about his Archer game.

"Saints Row? He does know about Saints Row right?"

Lunar Templar:

why?

While this comparison seems for the most part pretty fair, there's a vast gap in both writing quality and actor performance between Saints Row and Archer.

If they made an Archer game that could best be summarized as, "Saints Row, now with entertaining characters and plot!" I'd be all over it.

Though I'm not sure how well the art style for Archer would transition into 3d. Sometimes that works out really well, sometimes it's sorta eeehh. That and comedy games tend to be harder when it comes to crafting them for replay value, especially if the joke scenes you don't find as funny the second/third/Nth time around can't be skipped.

Chris does an amazing impression of Archer. This has to be one of the best recent episodes. Great work guys!

Makabriel:

A PnP game of Supernatural already exists, pretty much- Hunter: The Vigil from Whitewolf. Same system as their other World of Darkness games, except this time you're a plain old human (at first, anyway), who has to band with other humans to take down things that go bump in the night. It's interesting, in that being the same system as Vampire etc. where you could tear through humans like wet tissue paper, your strength lies in having a group that works well together and tactics, your character is ALWAYS a glass cannon alone. Stories focus a lot on research and investigation too. If you're into PnP, especially WoD stuff, give it a shot, a group I play with is going for it's 4rd session tomorrow night.

I enjoyed Supernatural up until about season 4 when they added the biblical stuff, then I just lost interest, power creep in that series got waaaaaaaaaaaaay outta hand. I enjoy the two bros vs ghost/monster single eps though, the dialogue is still great fun.

My brother, sister and cousin still watch it actually, what's it on now, season 9? Geez...

If someone asked me if I want an Archer game, my response would be: "Do you not?"

With all the goofy supporting characters in that show, it could be absolutely hilarious with tons of possibilities. I like humor in my games especially because so few games attempt it.

tangoprime:

Makabriel:

A PnP game of Supernatural already exists, pretty much- Hunter: The Vigil from Whitewolf. Same system as their other World of Darkness games, except this time you're a plain old human (at first, anyway), who has to band with other humans to take down things that go bump in the night. It's interesting, in that being the same system as Vampire etc. where you could tear through humans like wet tissue paper, your strength lies in having a group that works well together and tactics, your character is ALWAYS a glass cannon alone. Stories focus a lot on research and investigation too. If you're into PnP, especially WoD stuff, give it a shot, a group I play with is going for it's 4rd session tomorrow night.

That is true. Forgot about the Hunter modules. I usually played/ran Mage or Vampire.

Been a while since I played a WoD game. But yeah, the setting is just about right.

You had me at the Lana button. Ye gods, I never realised how empty life is without an Archer game until now...

Shjade:

Lunar Templar:

why?

While this comparison seems for the most part pretty fair, there's a vast gap in both writing quality and actor performance between Saints Row and Archer.

If they made an Archer game that could best be summarized as, "Saints Row, now with entertaining characters and plot!" I'd be all over it.

Should probably point out, I've never seen Archer, so i can't really comment on it, was just saying he sounds like he asking for a Saints Row game just with the Archer character skins.

:p Also, I'll take my Sociopathic President over your (what the commercials are giving the impression of) Idiot Secret Agent.

Though I'm not sure how well the art style for Archer would transition into 3d. Sometimes that works out really well, sometimes it's sorta eeehh. That and comedy games tend to be harder when it comes to crafting them for replay value, especially if the joke scenes you don't find as funny the second/third/Nth time around can't be skipped.

The art style and writing falls on the shoulders of the hypothetical team to pull of. It can work, they'd just need to find a team that would see it as the passion project it would basically have to be to have a chance of even being decent. Cause there is no way at all they could just pass this off to some random team and hope for the best expecting a good game.

Anyway, I'm off to go get my shit wrecked another 15 times by Blade Wolf >.> yay for bullshit first bosses

Catchpa: easy as pie

-.- ....

When it comes to Archer, need anybody say more?

QED.

So, the plot you described about "Archer trying to get a cup of coffee but being foiled by terrorists" is the plot to Hudson Hawk. Great movie. Maybe Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello make a cameo in your Archer Game.

Venture Bros. Like first couple of season Venture Bros. Maybe a Telltale game. My drama is a Suda51 doing a beat em up where you play as one or two of the villians.

Oh my god, if someone made a game with the role-playing and dialogue from Mass Effect, the stealth action from Metal Gear solid, and the characters and plot of Archer, I would basically spontaneously explode with happiness.

Lunar Templar:
Also, I'll take my Sociopathic President over your (what the commercials are giving the impression of) Idiot Secret Agent.

That'd mean more if you actually got to be a sociopathic president. Since the game is actually just a VR sim played by someone who happens to be PotUS at the time, it's not like it has any impact. You could be a homeless drunk and it'd be the same game barring the first 10 minutes.

Archer: The Videogame? So Max Payne?

There are only three seasons of archer currently on netflix :( They said there were four i am sad now

Both of them sound good.
Personally I would go with a Supernatural game, although I'm sure there are way too many ideas to put into it compared to the Archer one.

The Archer game I could see, TellTale Games could be a good company to do it. If I would choose anyone else it would be Bioware ... the old one.

Still, extremely good choices.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or