Escape to the Movies: Dhoom 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dhoom 3

MovieBob checks out one of Bollywood latest and greatest films.

Watch Video

So did this movie have bad lighting, too, or...?

This movie kind of sounds like "Now you see me" but from India.

I've developed a small fascination with Bollywood movies due to their distilled Bonkers-ness. I've not managed to sit down to see one yet though. Perhaps this will be the one. It looks pretty nuts and majorly entertaining.

Gotta say by description alone the villain here does seem like a perfect fit for the REVENGE SOCIETY!!

Huh... I wonder what this will do for Bollywood movies in the US now?

My inner child is screaming for me to go see this.

Cannot find this in any theater near me. Oh moviebob, how you tease me so!

Hmm. Was sort of hoping for a 'Her' review, but this is good too. Too bad neither of these are playing in any theater within 80 miles of me.

Looks very fun and I plan to check it out, I am curious why this movie is the first Bollywood movie to become a hit in America considering how insane it looks, I highly doubt its only because the movie takes place in America.

Uh, this actually sounds interesting. I have to say I avoided Bollywood because the movies they broadcast here always seemed like boring love story movies with music interludes, not the kind of genre-mixtures Bob was describing here.

It sucks living in a small town because movies like Dhoom 3 are rarely played in them. Unless I can get to a theater in major cities to see this, Dhoom 3 looks like a rental once it hits DVD/Blu-ray.

I love Bollywood movies, they are the best watch with buddies and a tons of beer flick material.

Utah. Foreign films are a no-no for this market. Damn, I hate the assumptions the people who market and distribute these films make.

This looks really good! I gotta find this movie somewhere.

Ehhh, Bob may have liked it, this is most definitely not the movie for me, seeing as I don't like abrupt tonal shifts or Indian pop music. To be honest, I hope Bollywood DOESN'T catch on where I live, as a lot of good movies playing in America already get looked over in Swiss cinemas. No need to fill 'em up with this stuff, from my point of view, anwyay.

I was like "Wut?" when I saw this as the week's review, but now I kind of want to see it. If only to see the actresses who are "so hot it almost hurts to look at"

So does it hold up for the full 3 hours? Or is it like with Matrix sequels where every single action set piece and fight goes on to long to the point it get boring?

Umm i am from India, and i am shocked to see that he liked this film/

Really, it's a mindless action flick that pretends to be deep or sentimental.

In fact this is one of the most brainless, shallow , 'made for raking in huge amounts of money' type of films that movie Bob hates. If you want to see a good indian film, see Barfi, or The Lunchbox.

Amir Khan is a very good actor, few of his other movies to watch Lagaan, Mengal Panday, 3 Idiots. Two others that I only sort of liked because they are more Bollywood, Fanna and Rang De Basaanti.
Two great Pakistani action movie to watch and our take on the war of terror from the front lines, Waar and Khuda Ke Liye.

Also any other Indians and Pakistanis here?

Whatever your take on Bollywood is, you will get _Something_ for you money and time. A lot more than most other movies can offer.

BTW: I'd love to have a LEGO Simpsons game!

was anyone else drawing a blank when he mentioned Chicago action movies?

*Looks this way, looks that way...checks if someone didn't made this note about a bad guy called Khan...check*

Okay, here it comes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54.

Anyway, no thanks on the Bollywood film bonanza. Films from South Asia are not my thing. I'd rather would flex my hipster muscles with vague Chinese, Japanese or Korean films.

But Bob, how are the dance numbers?

It's all good but 4:20 and on if you're impatient.

Judging from the title i thought this was going to be about some 1000$ budget crappy movie, but this actually looks quite interesting, not even sure why, probably because i haven't seen anything like this recently.

I've got to say, I was laughing and cheering just at the looped trailer footage Bob was using for the background of his review. Based on that evidence, I think this might be the movie for me.

Skeleon:
Uh, this actually sounds interesting. I have to say I avoided Bollywood because the movies they broadcast here always seemed like boring love story movies with music interludes, not the kind of genre-mixtures Bob was describing here.

I'm skeptical. I saw #1 on Netflix streaming. It wasn't gouge out my eyes bad. I just didn't love it and I seen nothing in this review that makes me think #3 will change my mind.

I'll check it on streaming anyway.

Gorfias:
I'm skeptical. I saw #1 on Netflix streaming. It wasn't gouge out my eyes bad. I just didn't love it and I seen nothing in this review that makes me think #3 will change my mind.

The whole bit about "rooting for the villain and the heroes" sounded extremely refreshing compared to the usual, clear - nay, blatant - "good versus evil"-stuff we usually get served as popcorn-cinema.

Wasn't Slumdog Millionaire also a Bollywood movie?

I mean, it may not have some of the more... stereotypical elements of Bollywood, but given that the author, cast and even music is Indian, I wouldn't rule it out as "the first Bollywood production successful in the west".

Also, here is the full trailer with english subtitles, if people are interested. I will say that the trailer is pretty well made, regardless of what i thought of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUDjA1e8VFM

Anyway i would like to discuss the film, but i really can't unless i reveal the mid plot twist..which is arguably the weakest point of the story and where the film falls on itself and collapses it's own hyper reality.

It's only playing in one crappy theater clean across the city.

...Sounds worth it.

For me, the real question is this: is it better than Doom?

:/

... I'm guessing Dhoom 3 is far superior.

Skeleon:

Gorfias:

The whole bit about "rooting for the villain and the heroes" sounded extremely refreshing compared to the usual, clear - nay, blatant - "good versus evil"-stuff we usually get served as popcorn-cinema.

It may not be fair to 3, but have you seen 1 and 2? Have you seen 3? Is there really a difference that I should note? And, I hope so. More great stuff with a new take on things beats no new stuff by a long shot.

OK, you're right Bob, this DOES look bonkers and had me smiling all the way through. Is that "as rewritten by Marge Simpson" bit accurate?
Also, I loved that Revenge Society screenshot, because I want more Venture Brothers, damn it! Can we get an episode of The Big Picture about that?

Mangod:
For me, the real question is this: is it better than Doom?

:/

... I'm guessing Dhoom 3 is far superior.

That's the logical direction to go: In the next film the cops will be fighting demons on Mars, with the final confrontation being a 10-minute musical battle sequence with Satan. Glorious!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here