Escapist News Now: PlayStation Now Details - CES 2014

PlayStation Now Details - CES 2014

Some details on Sony's new PlayStation Now streaming service.

Watch Video

so did he just say "playstation caliber games"? isn't that equivalent to "sub par PC games"?

The thing i noticed is how he dodged her question pertaining to what about older PS3 games that someone might own, will they have to basically pay for them again.

Losarot:
The thing i noticed is how he dodged her question pertaining to what about older PS3 games that someone might own, will they have to basically pay for them again.

Yep, he skirted around that question! I take it that you have to pay for it again if you get this service (either a direct rental of that game, or through a subscription).

He also mentioned you can access from anywhere as long as you have a "compatible device", what the heck are these? A new Bravia TV, PS4 controller, some sort of adapter?

insertcleverphrase:
so did he just say "playstation caliber games"? isn't that equivalent to "sub par PC games"?

Games aren't generally made for PCs. They're made for consoles and then ported for the pc. The quality of the port may then be decided by the quality of the pc where graphics are concerned.

It's like that because you have to develop for the weakest link in a chain when you're developing for multiple consoles. Graphics can be scaled but the engine and various types of coding can't be easily scaled.

Nice cheap shot though.

Losarot:

It looks like this will all be SaaS. So no ownership, only subscriptions or rentals (aka subscriptions again). Whether or not this is a good deal would be purely up to what library you get access to. I have a hard time believing they can make this worth it unless the library is immense.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here