8 Album Covers Considered To Be Quite Legendary

Pages 1 2 NEXT

8 Album Covers Considered To Be Quite Legendary

Today to celebrate the first LPs being recorded on vinyl in 1949 we give you a small list of eight of the most legendary album covers in the history of music. Sit back, plug in your headphones and tune out.

Read Full Article

Led Zep and T. Rex are fine and all, but where are some of the truly great?

Just to name a few.

Metal/Hard Rock albums have some of the most epic covers and made figures like "Eddie" recognizable.

That said I think #1 should probably be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer

Few album covers have gotten the attention and generated the amount of controversy as that one. Deserving of praise or not, it's a "Dark" legend so to speak due to the garbage surrounding it, and as a result perhaps one of the most famous Album covers of all time.

I litterally didn't recognise a single one of those covers. Where Nirvana's 'Nevermind'? I know it isn't a vinyl but it's still an album cover.

That baby is famous!

Tomorrow's list:

Here are some things! Look! Things!

How long can you stretch one joke out for? Or is this just a case of "high quality non-content"?

Nothing beats the original press of Led Zeppelin 3 with the pin wheel in the cover to change the images.

However, some really cool ones on the metal side of things I like are:

TimeLord:
I litterally didn't recognise a single one of those covers. Where Nirvana's 'Nevermind'? I know it isn't a vinyl but it's still an album cover.

That baby is famous!

Agreed Nevermind should've been on there. And DARK SIDE OF THE FRIKKING MOON. But I'm surprised you've not seen the Led Zeppelin one before. Though to be fair it was a bit of a pants list. Abbey Road is way more iconic than White Album, DSOTM is more so than Atom Heart Mother. Some of them are rather dubious, I mean different strokes, but legendary album covers tend to be ones that almost everyone recognizes.

Everyone knows what the real greatest album cover of all time is...<.<

[spoiler]image

Oh yeah...
[/spoiler

Maybe I figured this "list" thing out. Dude lists mediocre things to get the Escapists present fueled up to post their own REAL lists of things much more awesome (or awful) than what the OP listed.
Clever.
On that note I have to say that a list of album covers NOT featuring classics like any Iron Maiden cover ever, the lack of Abbey Road (which incidentally seems to be an album I can almost unerringly find in most people's collection), is a sin. Also not including ANY Molly Hatchet album cover is also wrong. Crap music but damn those were awesome album covers. And have to mention just how much I cringe when I see any Radiohead album. I detest them for some reason, perhaps because I don't like Thom Yorke or whatever his name is spelled.

Wait, what? No Darkside of the moon?

amaranth_dru:
Maybe I figured this "list" thing out. Dude lists mediocre things to get the Escapists present fueled up to post their own REAL lists of things much more awesome (or awful) than what the OP listed.
Clever.

Not trying to sound a dick but I figured that out by maybe the second list. I personally enjoy looking at the lists and guessing the gripes. It's like a little game I play with myself on the computer. A computer game you might call it...

Also if you look at the tags you can usually guess what the list is

Lono Shrugged:

amaranth_dru:
Clever.

Not trying to sound a dick but I figured that out by maybe the second list. I personally enjoy looking at the lists and guessing the gripes. It's like a little game I play with myself on the computer. A computer game you might call it...

Also if you look at the tags you can usually guess what the list is

I've not been paying much mind to it really. Otherwise I might have done so earlier.

I'm surprised to see In The Aeroplane Over the Sea on here. That's literally one of my favourite albums of all time.

I was going to post that, but here are some of my favourite ones.

Not all of my favourite albums are here, but there's three more of them, as well as ITAOTS.

Not a single Yes album cover here? Really? Not one? Nothing? Google it!

EDIT: Nevermind let me show you.

Needs moar Aphex Twin.

Ed_Fox:

Dude, Dark Side of The Moon is, no exaggeration or fanboyism here, the second best album of all time. BTW, that list in the link is missing the full figures but I saved 'em so here they are:

#2. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Year: 1973 Units Sold: 15 Million
SPV: $16.08 Rating (Stars): 5 Grammys Won: 0
Calculated value per unit based on the formula: $18.57

#1. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder
Year: 1976 Units Sold: 10 Million
SPV: $16.84 Rating (Stars): 5 Grammys Won: 2
Calculated value per unit based on the formula: $18.71

Personally, I think it should have been #1 though anyway considering that not all that many have heard of Songs In The Key of Life but EVERYONE I've talked to have always known about Dark Side of the Moon and loved it as well.

Anyway, YOU DONE SCREWED UP NOW, DR STRANGELOVE!!

You're not very good at this gallery thing.

That's my personal favourite. I reckon Nevermind is also missing from the list.

One other one I like is this but I can see why that wouldn't be on the list:

lacktheknack:
Needs moar Aphex Twin.

Someday, we will be together, you and I...

As for my suggestions on what you left out because you're a bad person:

II2:

lacktheknack:
Needs moar Aphex Twin.

Someday, we will be together, you and I...

Who is going to be the one locked in the cellar with the cute little dog :D.

JenSeven:

Just to name a few.

Doesn't most people consider Born Again to be an awful album cover? :p Even the band hated if i'm not mistaken!

MrBaskerville:

JenSeven:

Just to name a few.

Doesn't most people consider Born Again to be an awful album cover? :p Even the band hated if i'm not mistaken!

Yes, and that's what makes it so legendary.
It's so bad and awful that I'm sure it will become some sort of retro-kitsch or something.
It's bad, it's cheap, the colours hurt your eyes and for some reason it works in that way.

Arnoxthe1:

Ed_Fox:

Dude, Dark Side of The Moon is, no exaggeration or fanboyism here, the second best album of all time. BTW, that list in the link is missing the full figures but I saved 'em so here they are:

Anyway, YOU DONE SCREWED UP NOW, DR STRANGELOVE!!

Dark Side Of The Moon is fine and all, but I do prefer Dark Side Of The Spoon:

And let's add some more albums that should not be missed.

Gotta say, that was a pretty weak list. Here's a whole heap more:

Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures

The Clash: London Calling

Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell

The Beatles: Abbey Road, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Nirvana: Nevermind

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here, The Division Bell, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Animals

Radiohead: The Bends

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells

Bob Dylan: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

David Bowie: Diamond Dogs (Front and Back), Aladdin Sane

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King

Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

That's a poor list. I didn't recognize one of them and none seemed that fantastic in any case. At least 8 of those posted here so far beat all of them.

Personally I'm quite fond of Nneka's Concrete Jungle :)

I knew this was going to become a "Show your favorite album covers" threat so i came prepared:
Motorhead: Ace of Spades LP (Special limited christmas edition)

Motorhead: Orgasmatron

Nightwish: Whishmaster

Therion: Les Fleurs Du Mal

Agonist: Only Once Imagined

Angelus Apatrida: Giv'em War

HEALTH: Get Color

Kamelot: Poetry for the Poisoned

Burzum: Sl austan, Mni vestan (i guess i cant put Fallen)

Dragonland: Starfall

Nightwish: Oceanborn

Pink Floyd: Whish you were here (i think someone already put it)

List of "Legendary" album covers. No apparent explanation for why these are legendary pieces of their art style. Doesn't really seem to be a list of "Legendary Album" covers either.

I guess you could chalk the second part off to the authors personal taste, but the captions don't bother explaining that distinction, or even stating why the author considers these eight items particularly legendary, whether as artwork, or music albums. It seems like a poorly focused effort at an article altogether.

Ed_Fox:

Can't have two Pink Floyd in the same countdown....
Although I'd rather have Dark side's cover than Atom heart's...

But yeah, there are a few albums in that list I've never seen before...

And maybe it's a matter of what my parents listened to... But I know David Bowie more than the T-Rex guy.... as evidence that I actually know Bowie's name....

What the hell? Considered by who? This list is absolute rubbish. I've never seen a lot of those covers, nor even heard of some of the bands.

1 - Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) [The Wall in a pinch]
2 - Nevermind (Nirvana)
3 - Queen II (Queen)
4 - London Calling (The Clash)
5 - Abbey Road (The Beatles)
6 - The Velvet Underground & Nico (The Velvet Underground & Nico) Oh wow, you got one!
7 - Bad (Michael Jackson)
8 - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols (Sex Pistols)

I mean really. "Legendary" means "Things people are aware of and have achieved high status", not these damn things.

Pretty questionable list, but I suppose that's to be expected from this feature. Anyway, no album cover list is complete with Bowie's Alladin Sane and Rush's 2112.

I agree with most others, Dark Side and a different Beatles cover (I would go Sgt. Peppers or Revolver, those are their most interesting). The other covers make sense though, to me at least. I mean, when you can only pick 8, you have to cut a lot (I'm pretty sure there have been a few albums released over the past 90 years, i'd have to double check my iTunes though).

I swear, Escapist is becoming Buzzfeed junior more and more, these days.Throw some images and a paragraph of text together and call it a top 8 (because a regular top 10 is beyond my ability to give a shit), I can see the inaugural plagiarism shitstorm coming already.Linkbaiting 6 year olds with disgusting "Ouch, these are NOT what you think they are!" and "This dog regrets it's choice of lunch" ogrish-lite-wannabe galleries is yet ANOTHER step towards your site sith master.
Also, your hipster is showing. Neutral Milk Hotel? ITAOTS "becoming the best album"? "Yeah, it wasn't that good, but now that all my hipster faggot friends listen to it, I've kinda warmed up to it."

10/10 will be annoyed the rest of the day.

White over Abbey Road? I mean, that's a little silly. I think that's just being alternative for the sake of being alternative. While I can understand someone saying that White was a better album, Abbey Road's album cover is quite possibly the most iconic.

Considered by whom?

You realize that almost none of the existing population of ... the world has ever even heard of T. Rex or.... (srlsy, wtf?!) Natural Milk Hotel? I can understand putting Radiohead on the list, but the vast majority of their home population wouldn't know the name of the album if it hit them in the head.

So, I ask again, considered by whom?

Maybe, don't make crap up as you go along.

The White Album, Led Zeppelin's IV, and maybe Pink Floyd's album are the only one's listed that even deserve credit, though the Dark Side of the Moon is the one you should have chosen.

So... legendary by some obscure internet commentator? Go you.

Alarien:
Considered by whom?

You realize that almost none of the existing population of ... the world has ever even heard of T. Rex

I'm sorry, what?
That album featured one of the most recognisable rock songs in the history of rock. Get It On!

Also, let's not forget to mention Fire by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. Simply because. We must not forget to mention that band and song. No other reason is needed.

I'm well aware of that song. I'm sure most people have heard it more than a few times. However, awareness of a song does not equate to awareness of the band that played it. I'm sure if you pumped it into an elevator and then asked the average person who played it, you'd get a lot of "err... umm....."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here