The Big Picture: Stars, Worn

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Stars, Worn

MovieBob addresses some of the rumors around the new upcoming Stars Wars trilogy.

Watch Video

At this point, I think I'd go the cameo route here.

I read an article stating that Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher had to lose weight for the roles. I think it's a big unfair since they're in their 50's and 60's. They should be allowed to retire gracefully and not have to do constant stuntwork.

Han dies as a "shock moment", maybe. I feel more likely Luke dies protecting Han, Leah, and sidekicks.

If Kyle Katarn isn't in this movie, it will fail! Give us the bearded wonder!

Eh, I don't have much of a problem with this. I'd rather see the original characters play significant roles before being retired for good, instead of just being cameos/plot points. Heck, the latter wouldn't be all that different from going the Alien³ "offscreen death just because" route.

And nice to see that you're representing all parties involved based on only their worst work and dismissing the whole idea as a "fan film." Real class act, Bob. This is the kind of cynicism the internet needs less of.

unacomn:

Sometimes I do wish there was a Like button on these forums. Cause this statement gets ALL my like! :D

The problem with doing a new generation for the franchise now is we're still coming off the hangover of episodes 1-3, which starred a different generation of characters, most of whom were incessantly bland, lost in a hodge-podge of glorified toy commercial, completely missing out on everything that was right in the original trilogy.

Yes, we need to move on. Yes, there have been problems in the past with trying to revitalise an old series with a last hurrah from the original cast, but in none of those had the series already been sullied by the next (albeit previous) generation. The new generation of fans (as well as some of the old) might benefit from being reminded why we fell in love with it in the first place.

Besides, there's always the risk that just throwing the newbies at us will fall flat and leave us all wishing we had more time with the old-school.

Personally, I'm all for an Episode VII that passes the torch from the old to the young to set up VIII and IX. Better, in my opinion, to establish the new on the back of the old, rather than relying on them to carry the trilogy right out of the gate.

I will enjoy it waaaaay too much if they kill off Han.

The resulting ocean of tears would be glorious in that particular I'm-not-into-this-thing-and-can-therefore-view-the-passion-of-its=fans-with-utter-detachment kind of way.

Oh, I can just hear it now, "Bu... bu... but that's not... that's not what happened in the extended universe!"

I'd rather they play a major role before the *gasp* one of them is dead idea. It'd be a shame to just have them show up for one scene or so to go "hey, these guys are our betters and successors" then disappear forever (presumabley 'cause one of them died).

Though if Han dies it will be absolutely hilarious. I wasn't a big fan of him in the original trilogy but I can easily imagine the fanboys to burst into tears over it and denounce the film for existing over internet forums.

eh, I think we can afford to lose the Yuuzhan Vong.

Beyond that I suppose its not too bad. We might still be able to claim the hand of thawn stuff as canon.

Han is minding his own business, is out grocery shopping and then the grandson of greedo kicks his walking stick away and shoots him.
I look forward to a theoretical point in the far off future when we finally stopped caring about star wars and star trek while we're at it.
We will get some new scifi franchises eventually but right now with star wars still being milked and star trek in the process of selling new shitty tie in merchandise i'm not quite sure if i will still be alive to see them.

While we're at milking old stuff, why not make new "Stargate" stuff? Sure, there was a movie and then a ten year long show and then they made the same show again in another galaxy before trying to make something that took itself seriously and had unlikable characters.
Compare it to star wars and star trek, Stargate looks like it's all new and fresh.

I can see it now:

*Rumors circulating that the bad guy is palpatine*

JJ Abrams: "Guys, no, it's not Palpatine."

*Rumors continue to circulate, looking more and more likely that it's Palpatine.

JJ: "Guys! It's not Palpatine!"

*Movie eventually comes out*

*Character that shares no physical or personality traits with Palpatine*: I... am... PALPATINE!

JJ: "BOOM! Fucking fooled you! Mystery Box, BITCHES! I'm a goddamned genius!"

Is it too late to not do this yet? Fuck you, JJ Abrams...

Zhukov:
I will enjoy it waaaaay too much if they kill off Han.

The resulting ocean of tears would be glorious in that particular I'm-not-into-this-thing-and-can-therefore-view-the-passion-of-its=fans-with-utter-detachment kind of way.

Oh, I can just hear it now, "Bu... bu... but that's not... that's not what happened in the extended universe!"

Yep, the fires will be wonderful since a lot of the extended universe are either fanfiction set in the universe or rehashes of stuff like Exar Kun for the sake of fun.

I want the movie to be good, I saw Star Wars and loved it as a kid but I also understand that Hollywood are more likely to destroy our childhoods then preserve them. Honestly, this generation is horrible for media in general; movies and games are starting to stall and become more generic and filled with problems and now anime is starting to turn into a pandering mess.

Zhukov:

And thus a new decade of cries about "But Han shot first!" was born unto the internet.

OT: Insightful episode. As somebody who likes The Phantom Menace and likes many parts of the other two prequels, I'm not really all that afraid of how a new trilogy is going to "ruin" Star Wars forever again. It's not like much worth paying attention to has come out of the Star Wars brand since 2006, anyway.

I didn't even realize that George Lucas might have came up with everything in the prequel trilogy on the fly... But that makes a whole lot of sense, considering whats actually in those movies. Also, I think J.J. Abrams' idea, of the new trilogy starring the original cast, is stupid. I think Michael Arndt's idea isn't much better, it literally sounds like every other direct-to-DVD Disney sequel ever made, but I think it sounds a lot better and less blatantly pandering, IMO. But yeah, pretty much everything Bob said, particularly about reviving classic, nostalgic properties and trying to get the original actors back. I also like Bob's comments about this movie playing it "safe" instead of actually going somewhere new or interesting, since, you know, this movie is so freaking guaranteed to make money it's not even funny.

Yeah, it probably should have been more of a "passing the torch" movie than a "one last harrah" movie. Luke becomes a cross between Obi Wan and Mace Windu as he has gathered the remaining Jedi survivors and reopens an academy (possibly borrowing the one apprentice to a master style of the Sith and pretty much abstaining from Republic governance all together after how that ended up last time). Leia goes back to being a senator (possibly for the new Jedi homeworld) while Han helps out at the Academy.

But, no, we're probably going to have to wait until VIII before we get that, if at all.

Completely agree with Bob on all points, including the "twist," and that it should not be Abrams in the first place.

Giving the fans what they want = Dragon Age Origins

Giving the fans what they think they want = Dragon Age 2

Now, I enjoyed both, the 2nd less so. There's no denying the quality and prowess of a production with clear vision and ambition, rather than pandering to a checklist.

While I'd prefer they aimed at what you laid out Bob as the way film goes down, I will ultimately give whatever they do a chance. I can't say I hate the idea of seeing the original cast do something again. (rather I'd liked to see that I don't know 20 years ago...but I digress.)I won't assume the worst till it happens.

Madman123456:
Compare it to star wars and star trek, Stargate looks like it's all new and fresh.

What about Battlestar Galactica?, it still isn't milked to death like either Star Wars or Star Trek ;)

OT: Well... I never considered myself as a Star Wars fan, but I'm interested to see where the new trilogy is going and I'll buy tons of popcorn to enjoy the ensuing backlash they'll get, especially in these very forums :)

At the end of the day, no matter what route the production takes, the fanboys are still going to bitch and moan for fifteen (possibly more) years without realizing that these new movies will be about the same quality as the first trilogy.

TechTim:
Han dies as a "shock moment", maybe. I feel more likely Luke dies protecting Han, Leah, and sidekicks.

My money would be on Luke as well. That way every trilogy would have a Jedi mentor character die in the first film. Qui-Gon > Obi-Wan > Luke. Plus, if needed, you can always get him back to cameo as a ghost.

I just really hope we will see some kind of character-growth for these familiar characters.

I don't really care as much how big their roles are, but they should be more mature, maybe they have had to make compromises on their ethics when rebuilding and dealing with the post-empire situation, or have had to become leaders in peacetime, or parents, or something.

I felt like the biggest problems with the original trilogy were: 1) Give the fans what you think they want and 2) Telling a story we already know the ending to.

I don't care what Anikin did before he became Vader. Focusing on Obi-Won might've worked but nope.

So: The new trilogy? Disaster if they focus on the same characters. Awesome if they give them the cameo-sendoffs deserved. We're already emotionally invested in those characters, so you don't have to spend a movie rebuilding them and reconnecting the audience to them.

The movie should be spent connecting us to the new characters. Spin THAT lead into gold.

Seracen:

Giving the fans what they want = Dragon Age Origins

Giving the fans what they think they want = Dragon Age 2

Now, I enjoyed both, the 2nd less so. There's no denying the quality and prowess of a production with clear vision and ambition, rather than pandering to a checklist.

I think most of Dragon Age 2's problems were because of the short development time.

Which might also be an issue here...

So of course I am cynical as well, and for me it is primarily going to be interesting to see just how not bad they can make the films. Since the prequel trilogy taught (jaded?) me quickly that the original magic of viewing the original movies just can't be captured. This of course is has become obvious over the years since it is based on things like age of viewing, when the movie was made, and of course being based on original ideas. Now I won't simply dismiss them; there is a chance we can be surprised and an expertly crafted film perhaps bringing wonderment to a new generation of moviegoers will emerge. But the evidence so far is not in favor of that occurring. So I will be content seeing an average movie trying to ape the appeal of something that the moviemakers don't seem to understand is far, far away. Or in a DVD collection.

Harrison Ford: the best and most intense action star of all time. We're talking Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Fugitive, Air Force One, etc. Spent the last dozen years discussing his hatred for Star Wars, phoning in his performances, and being generally unpleasant.

Mark Hammil: Known for Luke and the Joker, and only those two things. Repeatedly dragged back to reprise those roles much to his own exhaustion.

Carrie Fisher: it would feel like bullying to go into detail. Let's just say very very tired, not a lot of lingering love for Star Wars, or lingering memory of anything.

The point is that obviously the three main leads aren't really going to enjoy being dragged back in, so why do it at all?

unacomn:

Seriously, if Disney wants so bad to be in our good graces with this movie, they'd put in the Chuck Norris of the Star Wars universe for at least a cameo bit.

OT: Bob, what you just concocted in that buzzing little brain of yours may be the most profitable move Disney could ever make with this franchise. Mace Windu getting blast to modern day earth where he has to help save an orphanage from closing down with lemonade?? This would be Transformers level of so fucking detrimentally bad is simply has to be seen to be believed. The most common denominator of audiences would go see it for no other reason than because it's Star Wars. The fans of Star Wars would see it because we're just obligated to do so no matter what. And the ironic internet crowd would drool at the mouth for a chance to see Star Wars crash and burn so hard it made the prequels look like the it came with singing angels and the tears of fucking God.

Really, the more I think about the new movies, the less enthused I am able to feel for them.

TechTim:

That would make the most sense to eliminate the total bad-ass so that the remaining protagonists actually have something difficult to accomplish for the rest of the movies without having an instant-win character. But devising a reasonable scenario where Luke could be killed would be practically impossible without pissing off most fans.

It will be the highest grossing movie of all time so they can relax. It's really weird that they're making all these stupid decisions to cater to a bunch of sweaty basement dwellers from the 80s. Everybody will go see it because they either expect it to rock, or they expect it to suck but they don't want to miss out on all the live nerd rage. I already know I'll go see it on opening night with that mindset.

Desworks:

TechTim:

My money would be on Luke as well. That way every trilogy would have a Jedi mentor character die in the first film. Qui-Gon > Obi-Wan > Luke. Plus, if needed, you can always get him back to cameo as a ghost.

My money is on Luke as well.

It's... Such an oddity. It really is a cultural Immovable Object. It's a Star Wars film, managed by Disney. It's about as safe as the sun rising in the morning. It's a shame they're unlikely to use the luxurious margins they've got to do something more risky. But then again, they're facing the Unstoppable Force. It's difficult to really blame them.

Come to think of it... The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the only Indiana Jones film I have any meaningful memory of, oddly. I saw it the first time I was abroad on my own. It's the one I like best, based on the circumstances in which I saw it.

I think I'm well outside the target group of these particular films...

I grew up watching the first three films at my dads house but i'm a little younger than most Star Wars fans, which may be part of the reason I don't mind the other three films... except Hayden Christensen of course, his acting was bloody cringy.

Honestly though, I don't get why Star Wars is so popular, I enjoy Tartakovskys series but even that wasn't enough to get me all that interested.

Heres hoping the films will be enjoyable at least. I love me some old school animation so the prospect of using models, analogue, etc (although posibly just a gimmick) does sound fun.

MovieBob:
Stars, Worn

MovieBob addresses some of the rumors around the new upcoming Stars Wars trilogy.

Watch Video

what was that about Peter Parker at 4:10?
no, noooo, I love superior Spider-man, it pisses all over the potential of killing Parker in the ultimates universe n just replacing him with a black peter parker

I really hope that the "old gang" will take a backseat role. The thought of a geriatric Luke Skywalker twirling and flipping all over the place using prequel-era fight choreography smacks of sacrilege (though it would be hilarious). Besides, they have an entire populated galaxy to work with, so why limit themselves to the same familiar faces and names? This is a chance for a clean slate, an opportunity to take the narrative in fresh new directions.

unacomn:

This guy knows what he's talking about. Kyle Katarn is best pony Jedi. Definitely has tons more street cred than that Starkiller pansy.

Mcoffey:
I can see it now:

*Rumors circulating that the bad guy is palpatine*

JJ Abrams: "Guys, no, it's not Palpatine."

*Rumors continue to circulate, looking more and more likely that it's Palpatine.

JJ: "Guys! It's not Palpatine!"

*Movie eventually comes out*

*Character that shares no physical or personality traits with Palpatine*: I... am... PALPATINE!

JJ: "BOOM! Fucking fooled you! Mystery Box, BITCHES! I'm a goddamned genius!"

Is it too late to not do this yet? Fuck you, JJ Abrams...

Actually, the Expanded Universe already beat you to it. And yes, it's just as shitty as you might expect:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

This is why I'm not sad about post-RotJ EU stories being relegated to non-canon or alternate universe/timeline status. Yes, some good material will fall by the wayside, but so will a ton of utter tripe as well.

All I want from the new Star Wars trilogy: Boba Fett, The Movie.

In all seriousness, I was just hoping they'd take the Admiral Thrawn books (far and away the best of the expanded universe) and adapt those, but I doubt it. I don't really like Abrams as a directorial choice either, I just don't feel like he can go heroical enough for Star Wars.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here