The Big Picture: Stars, Worn

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

immortalfrieza:

Kyrian007:
Snip

I'd say that there's plenty of room in there for both the new movies and the EU if Disney bothered to put some effort into it, at least taking cue from it as to what works and doesn't.

I really think that's exactly part of my problem with the idea of using the EU in further episodes. I don't really trust Disney (or anyone they'd hire) to put as much effort into researching and developing the EU as the fans of the EU would require. I don't want to step on anybody's favorites here, this is just my opinion: but I wouldn't mind a movie screwing up "The Black Fleet Crisis," but what if Disney thought Shia Lebeouf was "perfect" for Kyp Durron? That would bug me a little.

I just don't know if it's worth it. Almost nothing would actually please hardcore EU fans (myself included there.) And it's such a small bunch compared to A: more "casual" Star Wars fans, and B: people who may be new to the whole thing, that I'm not sure I'd blame Disney for not going with EU material.

Either way in the end I'll judge Episode VII (and beyond) on it's own merits.

Kyrian007:

immortalfrieza:

Kyrian007:
Snip

I'd say that there's plenty of room in there for both the new movies and the EU if Disney bothered to put some effort into it, at least taking cue from it as to what works and doesn't.

I really think that's exactly part of my problem with the idea of using the EU in further episodes. I don't really trust Disney (or anyone they'd hire) to put as much effort into researching and developing the EU as the fans of the EU would require. I don't want to step on anybody's favorites here, this is just my opinion: but I wouldn't mind a movie screwing up "The Black Fleet Crisis," but what if Disney thought Shia Lebeouf was "perfect" for Kyp Durron? That would bug me a little.

I just don't know if it's worth it. Almost nothing would actually please hardcore EU fans (myself included there.) And it's such a small bunch compared to A: more "casual" Star Wars fans, and B: people who may be new to the whole thing, that I'm not sure I'd blame Disney for not going with EU material.

Either way in the end I'll judge Episode VII (and beyond) on it's own merits.

Personally I'd rather the EU be butchered over it being rendered for all intents and purposes nonexistent. If they use the EU and do well, that's great, if they butcher it, we've still got the original EU materials, if they don't use it at all it means that the entire EU will be ignored in favor of whatever continuity they throw in there instead. The former means the EU continues to exist and be added to, the latter means it dies.

Our generation's complete refusal to accept or even face the realities of time and aging is just creepy and pathetic, and it will continue to rot everything touched by it.

Malisteen:
Our generation's complete refusal to accept or even face the realities of time and aging is just creepy and pathetic, and it will continue to rot everything touched by it.

the simple truth is that these movies arent made for you and i mean the aging fans who saw the star wars films growing up, etc no its made for that person now, that teenage or younger fan the corporation will get hooked into being a dedicated fan and who will buy all the merchandise

once you realise they have pulled the "this is not the demographic you are looking for" you can actually sit back and just enjoy things a hell of a lot more

As long as we get a lot of lens flare, who cares...

Two possible story routes - Time Travel or Jealous Robots

1. Time Travel - Luke sends a strong Force Projection into the past to change the future.

2. Jealous Robots - There is an AI in the Star Wars universe that cannot use the force and is desperate to understand and control it to become more human.

I have a feeling these three are just going to be 'Look at all these cool force things and light saber duals we can do now that we have money to throw at the screen.' We should be getting a Game of Galactic Thrones, we'll end up with a ridiculous Star Twilight...

All I can say is that I think they are making the right choice if they want to at least have the old cast star for the first movie of the new trilogy. I think there is a lot of stuff to wrap up there to do a transition right. What's more I've honestly been concerned about the new trilogy being too kiddified, which was half of my problem with the prequel series, especially the first one where Anakin is a little kid running around. That kind of formula (children as heroes) is something Disney has made a lot of money from in the past, and is something George Lucas infamously cashed in on. It doesn't surprise me that they wanted to do something similar original, using the "EU" versions of children of the original heroes running around doing the hero thing. Something which the universe technically allows given how young padawans apparently start training when things go as intended, but at the same time I have no desire to see movies where I'm watching 12 year olds beat up adults, though I'd imagine among 12 year olds (I was that age once myself) there is a market for that kind of thing. I'd prefer they keep this more or less a work of serious space fantasy, with a largely adult cast. Thankfully the original actors are old enough now for their in-character children to believably be at least young adults, which is hopefully the direction they will wind up going in.

To be honest I like a lot of JJ's work, but I did not care for his work on "Star Trek" at all as I've said, and honestly that makes me concerned for his work on "Star Wars" as I don't think he's a director that really plays well with existing universes where he is a guest. He's someone who should largely be confined to his own creations, which are usually more "hits" than "misses" in my opinion, though he does need to work on being able to wrap things up in a satisfying fashion...

demalo:
Two possible story routes - Time Travel or Jealous Robots

1. Time Travel - Luke sends a strong Force Projection into the past to change the future.

2. Jealous Robots - There is an AI in the Star Wars universe that cannot use the force and is desperate to understand and control it to become more human.

I have a feeling these three are just going to be 'Look at all these cool force things and light saber duals we can do now that we have money to throw at the screen.' We should be getting a Game of Galactic Thrones, we'll end up with a ridiculous Star Twilight...

Well, actually I'm hoping "Game Of Thrones In Space" isn't what we get, that show has it's own appeal, but is kind of low on action, and "Star Wars" has always been about the action and space swashbuckling. What's more the heroes in Star Wars are *HEROES* in a very real sense, where the point of something like "Game Of Thrones" is that there really aren't any and things tend not to wind up going that way, on some levels subverting the expectations that come from something like "Star Wars".

That said, as I've mentioned before, if they want to keep the ideas inherent in the prophecy/destiny guiding the entire thing it's ultimately going to come down to a battle over free will, and to prevent a new cycle of darkness, it will probably involve having to seal "The Force" away. But that's a big rant that I've gone into before, but won't go into here.

Zhukov:
I will enjoy it waaaaay too much if they kill off Han.

The resulting ocean of tears would be glorious in that particular I'm-not-into-this-thing-and-can-therefore-view-the-passion-of-its=fans-with-utter-detachment kind of way.

Oh, I can just hear it now, "Bu... bu... but that's not... that's not what happened in the extended universe!"

Extended universe has Palpatine living and Luke having the power to nuke planets by himself.
Of course the movies won't measure up.

Can I have my Deep Space 9 with the original cast back, please? It would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams uses his usual "parallel universe" thing so he can just reinvent everything (with added lens flare) but still shoehorn familiar faces into the proceedings. He was imo the worst possible choice to direct these films.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here