Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Chainsaw Wielders

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Chainsaw Wielders

Lisa tries not to lose any fingers in this week's chainsaw-filled Top 5.

Watch Video

Ah Madworld, I can't remember the last time I listened to that song or played that game... or watched Donnie Darko.

I was expecting the double chainsaw from Doom 64 but the original works.

What? No love for the Paddlesaw from Dead Rising 2?

newwiseman:
Ah Madworld, I can't remember the last time I listened to that song or played that game... or watched Donnie Darko.

I was fully ready to chastise someone for referring to it as the song from Gears of War. You completely ruined my fun.

I got Mad World for $1.99 at Future Shop a couple of years ago. It was pretty fun but suffered from the Wii's problem of "this game would be really fun if I didn't have to do all this waggle the wii remote motion bullshit... god damn it why can't you put in controller functionality... I love and hate you at the same time..." that plagues so many Wii titles.

isn't DOOM set on Phobos?

Madworld is (together with no more heroes) is the reason i bought a way for like 30€ about a year ago. worth it

edit: sry, double post, i blame the new coc

Dawwww Kevin...

Also, Chainsaw dude in Resident Evil 4 is named Dr. Salvador isn't he?

Doomguy! Aka Flynn "Fly" Taggart aka John "Reaper" Grimm.

So...why not Titus from Space Marine? I mean...Chainsaw swords!
Hello, hi, faces? You lose!

And what about the man-bear from Painkiller? Does the painkiller itself not count as a chainsaw? Is buzzsaw really that much of a distinction?

And Conker! He cuts the Nintendo logo in half with a chainsaw!

This list Lisa, really not okay...

teebeeohh:
isn't DOOM set on Phobos?

Yes, Phobos, then Deimos.... i miss "Doom-like" games, now it's all FPS with multiplayer... i think i'll need a level or two of painkiller now !

Kitty! I want the kitty!

I was surprised that Juliet was at the bottom of the list, but at least she's on there. And Marcus did come up with the idea for the chainsaw bayonet in the books, so he is the poster child for it.
And yes, I do like the Carmine brothers, mainly because they wear helmets. I've always liked the generic soldier guys in games more than the stand-out ones. Don't know why. They just look cooler I guess? The only person I like more is Baird.

Madworld was fun, but I never did get around to finishing it. Steve Blum and his sexy voice, mmmmmmmm.

Also, I think the unofficial name for the Doom protagonist is "Doom Guy".

NO Evil Dead/ Army of darkness? Are you high?

Silentpony:
So...why not Titus from Space Marine? I mean...Chainsaw swords!
Hello, hi, faces? You lose!

Want to see something cooler. Check out #19 from this old GW catalog from 1988:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1988/4102spacemarines-01.htm

Isn't that a chainsaw on the end of his gun?

Edit: Here's another one. On the lower left sprue, below and right of the center is the chainsaw bayonet attachment for the bolter:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1988/0005plastics-01.htm

Sniper Team 4:
And Marcus did come up with the idea for the chainsaw bayonet in the books, so he is the poster child for it.

Which Games Workshop came up with in the 80's.

I have a theory. The more we see Kevin in an episode, the better it is.

Is it obligatory for the entries on the list to have originated in video games? 'cause if not, I'd say Ash Williams should be in with a solid margin. In my personal opinion, he even beats out the Doom Marine, since... you know... he replaces his hand with a chain saw...

I would have at least expected a strange looking guy in a rabbit suit in the background but hey, Kevin also works for me.

i was primed the whole video to come in here and express intense disapproval if doomguy wasn't on the list. but he was right where he was supposed to be. good job. off topic, to all those referring to ash from the evil dead; i'd agree if the list was all media inclusive, but i'm pretty sure it's just game related. even if there are evil dead games, they don't stand up against the others on their own. only the movie versions hold any relevant weight.

Kahohess:
I miss "Doom-like" games, now it's all FPS with multiplayer... i think i'll need a level or two of painkiller now !

Shadow Warrior 2013 was as "Doom-like" as you can get, it was made by ex-Painkiller devs and it was F*ING awesome!... too bad it was NEVER mentioned on any single GOTY list, because it certainly was mine... Stanley Parable... bah... *grubble, grubble*

OT: Yay!, the Doomguy! :D

Pretty spot-on list as always Lisa, I can't think of any better chainsaw-wielding characters than these! :D

I've never really been into chainsaws in video games because they are one of the worst weapons you could choose for melee combat. Heavy, messy, noisy (mainly a problem in the Zombocalypse), SMALL gasoline tank, and those Madworld clips of the chainsaws getting locked against other chainsaws? Yeah, their faces should've been torn apart by all the shrapnel. Pretty hard to suspend my disbelief.

The only game where I've enjoyed the use of a chainsaw is Saints Row 2. Because it's Saints Row. That is not a series for getting bogged down in little details like combat practicality or ethics.

Off-topic: Solve media can kiss my ass.

"Resident Evil 4" was by far the best "Resident Evil" game and #4 on my all-time best video games ever list. Apparently, Lise doesn't know that Yahtzee sees RE4 as "the only good one."

Damn this list is fucking bullshit.

Juliet Starling is a way more awesome chainsaw WIELDER then any of the others, she does acrobatics with the damn thing for crying out loud!!

Out of all of them she deserves the number one spot.

piscian:
NO Evil Dead/ Army of darkness? Are you high?

It says it right there on the page. GAMES. Evil Dead isn't a game, it's a movie, or series of movies. This is for characters whose origins are from games.

I have to ask, where did double-chainsaw man come from in that clip of Resident Evil 4? I've played through the Gamecube version, single player and mercenary, countless times and have never seen him. I've played a good chunk of the PS2 version as well, though not all the way or through all the added content... from there I'm guessing? This will drive me nuts!

The moment of silence for Mad World was beautiful

-M

No Edgar from FFVI? He even magically grows a hockey mask when he uses it.

Surprised that Lollipop Chainsaw was on the bottom of the list but... I can see why you would feel that way.

Was a great episode overall, got to see good old video games and Mad World again... Poor game :(
Maybe if it comes out with a sequel somehow, they'll put it on a different console or even the PC. Who knows.

Less Madworld, more Serious Sam. There is nothing like running through tons of enemies with the chainsaw in SS. I saw a clip of Sam, but no place on the list *sigh*. And Left for Dead? Part of the video but also left off. I do agree that the Doom Marine deserves the number one spot.

Chuck Greene and two chainsaws on a paddle, please.

Where was Captian Titus from Space Marine??? Though technically a "Chainsword" it is still clearly the most awesome a chainsaw has ever been in a videogame or otherwise.

RE4 was the worst RE ever. especially on pc. damn this horrible controls.

Just incase no one else has mentioned it yet, there is someone above even Marcus Fenix (I kind of hate how his last name is spelled) and that is (correct me if I spell THIS wrong) Skorge from Gears of War 2, he fought against Marcus and while the end of that fight doesn't go in his direction (come on, there's a Gears of War 3 . . . if the bad guys won, would they REALLY leave him alive?) he DOES wield a much more awesome chainsaw. He, like the protagonist of Dead Rising 2, wields a staff capped on either end with chainsaws. Now, I think we can all agree, 2 is more than one, and thus, 2 is BETTER than 1. Therefore Skorge has the better chainsaw.

I love you to bits Lisa, but it's all about that dreadlocked Locust man and his sexy double-chainsaw!

I just found out there have been six Evil Dead games, I have played none

The Evil Dead (1984) for Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum
Evil Dead: Hail to the King (2000) for PlayStation, Dreamcast, and PC
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick (2003) for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Evil Dead: Regeneration (2005) for PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC
Army of Darkness: Defense (2011) for iOS and Android
Evil Dead: The Game (2011) for iOS

What with the curse of licensed games they probably weren't worth mentioning though.

If any of those games were good, let me know.

Caramel Frappe:
Surprised that Lollipop Chainsaw was on the bottom of the list but... I can see why you would feel that way.

Was a great episode overall, got to see good old video games and Mad World again... Poor game :(
Maybe if it comes out with a sequel somehow, they'll put it on a different console or even the PC. Who knows.

Did someone ask for a sequel?

OT: Pretty good list, the only other chainsaw that comes to my mind is Left 4 Dead (which was also spotted in video).

Metalrocks:
RE4 was the worst RE ever. especially on pc. damn this horrible controls.

Haha yeah. We complain about the occasional PC port these days, but mostly they're fucking gold compared to the shit we were getting in the early 2000s. It was hilariously unplayable without a controller, even though RE5 showed that it's actually rather simple to adapt the control scheme to a mouse and keyboard.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here