Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode One Review - Nathan Fake

Where on earth did you DIG this game up?
HA no but seriously, loved watching the first bit of the Squirty Play, and having read this gem, am now on my way to enjoy part 2. Keep up the wonderful work, you magnificent specimen.

Also I'd love to hear your take on where Self Awareness in games goes from being enjoyable to outright obnoxious, as was clearly the case in Unearthed. I personally love the way Suda often breaks the 4th wall, but feel even he has lost the knack for it he once had.
Perfectly good chance this will never be answered but HEY I asked. :D

And not even halfway through month one we already have a game trying to take the lifetime achievement award away from Ride to Hell. Now with even more terribleness since at least Ride to Hell wasn't literally just a game that already exists but shit.

Falterfire:
And not even halfway through month one we already have a game trying to take the lifetime achievement award away from Ride to Hell. Now with even more terribleness since at least Ride to Hell wasn't literally just a game that already exists but shit.

No, ride to hell was even worse because it was just a game's DLC that already exists but shit (Lost and the Damned)

It's quite interesting to read a review after watching the entire playthrough that it was based off of. It helps me to understand a reviewer's thought process (not that I want to know too much about Jim's thought process).

1 and a half stars seems a bit generous to be honest.

Also, my recommendation for the name of this type of game: Triple Z

Worse than the *actual* one-liners from the Uncharted series? Because those were fucking dreadful.

I wonder if the voice acting is better in its native Arabic.
It's so damn weird seeing Faris and Diana Jawad (who look super Arab in an adventure in Morocco) speaking in the most American of American accents.

I don't see how it's any more a rip off than Uncharted was of Indianna Jones, HIYOOOOOOOO!!!

I remember playing the demo back when this was exclusively a PSN download (yes, it even aped Uncharted in being exclusive to PS3. For a bit anyway). I almost cried when I saw it pop up on Steam a couple weeks ago.

Seriously. Why? Just why would anyone ever feel it was a good idea to port this?

Honesly though, I can't get mad at it for aping uncharted the way it does. It's hilarious. They even used the same font in the title. And a rotating coin on loading screens. It's priceless.

I think this game deserves some slack for ambition and, going by the credits, a dev team you snuggly fit in a classroom. It may not have been very smart to go for something like an unchartered clone for their first game but you can't judge it by AAA standards

I actually find it interesting that the characters are (voice work non-withstanding) actually middle eastern.

At first I thought it was kind of a joke, but it does seem like they genuinely want to introduce western audiences to their culture, which is quite commendable.

And, for just 5$? I'd call it a decent start. Dog knows there have been way more atrocious titles being sold for much more.

crap this review had to come up now ive already bought the heap like a week ago oh well i can scrub it off my to play list and at least i only spent $2.50 or so on it while on steam sale so no great loss i suppose

(leaving)

How about we make the term for game mockbusters be a play on the term triple A? Call 'em triple eh?s

Pallindromemordnillap:
How about we make the term for game mockbusters be a play on the term triple A? Call 'em triple eh?s

or "trap-ple Fs!" hahahahaha

haha

ha... I'll go now...

Honestly, though, it's a shame. this is a middle eastern game designed with the intent to try to share a glimpse of their culture with the western gaming world. that's where a lot of the effort Jim sees came from, I think. either due to a lack of resources or talent, this'll fall short of their goal, but it was a noble endeavor.

There's a rudimentary cover system, some lethargic gun combat, a few "puzzles" that involve shimmying across ledges or climbing on walls, and a close-quarters combat system that fails 50% of the time due to a lack of collision detection. There's even a few vehicle chase sections thrown in for good measure, though their slow pace and nonsensical controls may make you wonder why they exist.

That is exactly how I felt about the real Uncharted (what happened Naughty Dog? you used to make games with protagonists that didn't make me violently ill.) So to this trainwerck actually being somehow worse is quite an achievement.

Oskuro:
I actually find it interesting that the characters are (voice work non-withstanding) actually middle eastern.

At first I thought it was kind of a joke, but it does seem like they genuinely want to introduce western audiences to their culture, which is quite commendable.

And, for just 5$? I'd call it a decent start. Dog knows there have been way more atrocious titles being sold for much more.

It is a really neat idea. The problem they ran into with this seems to be the problem more than a few games with female leads did in the past few years. They were kinda shit.

Still a better alternative to Ride to Hell Retribution

At least we can say their is no under current of racism at play, since your a lumpy brown shooting other lumpy brown people.

So the score now is:

Unearthed: 1

Uncharted: 1,234,456,534,534,462

I'm surprised Jim made no mention of this game's condescending, misogynist one-liners...

balladbird:
Honestly, though, it's a shame. this is a middle eastern game designed with the intent to try to share a glimpse of their culture with the western gaming world. that's where a lot of the effort Jim sees came from, I think. either due to a lack of resources or talent, this'll fall short of their goal, but it was a noble endeavor.

No.
It wasn't.
The game has all the personality of Persian stripclub owner (which is to say, plenty, but off-putting) and all the fun of shoveling dog ****.

Jimothy Sterling:
At its very best, Unearthed is a mediocre action game that takes all its cues from far more polished products. There's a rudimentary cover system, some lethargic gun combat, a few "puzzles" that involve shimmying across ledges or climbing on walls [...]

[...] the protagonist's smarmy not-good-enough-to-be-considered-one-liners are enough to make all decent people want to punch him repeatedly in the lower spine

So it's just like Uncharted then? ;)

AntiChrist:

Jimothy Sterling:
At its very best, Unearthed is a mediocre action game that takes all its cues from far more polished products. There's a rudimentary cover system, some lethargic gun combat, a few "puzzles" that involve shimmying across ledges or climbing on walls [...]

[...] the protagonist's smarmy not-good-enough-to-be-considered-one-liners are enough to make all decent people want to punch him repeatedly in the lower spine

OH! Oh ho HO! You're a cheeky one, you are!

I really hope you do a play of the next episode. Might want to wait for the 'gold' edition of that one too... can't imagine what the original release of this looked like, if you played the fixed version.

What a wonderful review. I find this game's existence alone to be hilarious and that you found it at all to be impressive. I'd wondered how long it'd take these kinds of games to surface. I've really noticed how much our game market has been expanding lately into a infinite headed beast like the movie industry is today.

Jimothy Sterling:

AntiChrist:

Jimothy Sterling:

OH! Oh ho HO! You're a cheeky one, you are!

Hah. I loved the uncharted series. Fun over-the-top Indian Jones-esque action has never been so playable. But that's funny.

I'm mostly impressed that this thing made it to some kind of release at all.

Ha! Great review. I sounds like you enjoy this like I enjoy Sharknado; you don't really enjoy a film like Sharknado, but it is extremely difficult to turn away once you start watching it. Really excellent review. Thanks for sharing.

I kind of want to support this game. Sounds like silly fun.

Keith K:
I'm mostly impressed that this thing made it to some kind of release at all.

Yeah, you've got to think that this game, as buggy as it is, required writers and coders. It actually had a development cycle.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here