No Right Answer: Most Uninteresting Game Genre

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Most Uninteresting Game Genre

Dan and Kyle take some time to vent on game genres that just aren't any fun. Plus Dan reveals a childhood trauma. FUN!

Watch Video

Oh man, somebody needs to gift Kyle Eutotruck Simulator 2 on Steam. :)

Someone needed to play more Bloodbowl and Quidditch =D

It's hard to tell because I like sports, whereas I'm not a car person, but at least sports games are pretty easy topick up and play and are relatively dynamic and interesting games to start with (unless you want to play cricket/baseball, but then what you want to do in your spare time is none of my business). The only time racing games are accessible, never mind fun, is when they're super arcadey. If I try to play Gran Turismo it's hard enough going round one bend without flipping out or touching another car or slowing down to 0 miles an hour.

And then if I get round that bend, what am I rewarded with? Another bend to go around. The whole game is literally just going round bends in a giant never ending circle until someone tells you you can stop

Blood Bowl - American Football, with Orcs, Ogres, Zombies and Demons! In turn based! Near zero reality! :D

I'm in full agreement with Dan here, because at least Racing games have proven useful to modders in completely different genres. One only needs to see the miles of Forza cars that show up in GTA mods and Garry's mod to prove my point.

Damn I miss NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. I'm also remembering a game called NHL Hitz(?) and I'm guessing they probably made one for MLB and other sports as well. At least those weren't so constrained by reality.

Also, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't mention Twisted Metal when the discussion turned to car combat.

Seems like most people play video games to get away from reality, not be held back by what is "realistic".

Jandau:
Blood Bowl - American Football, with Orcs, Ogres, Zombies and Demons! In turn based! Near zero reality! :D

I thought of blood bowl at first too though I'm not sure if it's really a sports game or a sports themed strategy game, but maybe that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. This may be through rose colored glasses but I kind of miss loony toons B-ball for the snes. Not only were you play with loonie toons but they all had special abilities. Nothing like sinking a three pointer from across the court with marvin the martians magnet ball. Or Rough housing with Taz. ... I think that's the problem with the realism kick. We forgot to have fun. Embrace the silly people.

As a whole Sports Games can be more uninteresting. But for the most uninteresting sport you'd have to go to the motor sport that is NASCAR.

I can have fun with a Monster Truck game where all you do is jump over or flatten already damaged vehicles. I can have fun with a motocross game where I can do all sorts of stunts. Illegal Street Racing still pretty fun though its getting sucked up into Sand Box Games.

But NASCAR? Okay here is a motor sport game where all you do is race around a oval for 3 - 500 Laps; 500 for the people who are real hardcore NASCAR fans.... Damn I find the tracks so boring I couldn't keep interested for half a lap. Not to mention you all have the same car but with different advertisements.... So not only does it suck as a game but its trying to bombard you with commercials for crap you don't want.

Nonsense and shenanigans! Someone needs to make a game about a sport you can't just go play? There have been a bunch of those! What's more, racing games are sports games! And just because you lot don't like sports does not mean the genre is boring, it means you just don't like sports. How do sports and racing games beat out genres like "God-awful real life job simulator 20XX" or "Something Mama" or any other genre where you have almost no actual gameplay and pretty much no way to lose?

How about Bloodbowl, Footbrawl, Quiddich, Trackmania? Yeash!

Loki_The_Good:

Jandau:

I thought of blood bowl at first too though I'm not sure if it's really a sports game or a sports themed strategy game, but maybe that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. This may be through rose colored glasses but I kind of miss loony toons B-ball for the snes. Not only were you play with loonie toons but they all had special abilities. Nothing like sinking a three pointer from across the court with marvin the martians magnet ball. Or Rough housing with Taz. ... I think that's the problem with the realism kick. We forgot to have fun. Embrace the silly people.

Strategy thought gets completly screwed by the dice in Blood bowl for better or for worse.

Get your chaos minotaur killed by a goblin against all odds? That stuff happens.

But there are more "fun" sports games that dont really exist like that in real life then there are racing games that do something new and/or exiting.

So most boring game genre for me is the racing genre.

Both genres are self-limiting due to their need for a target audience that is a dedicated fan of the subject already. There's little incentive to become an avid Madden or NBA2kwhatever player if you're not already a rabid fan of that sport.

In that regard, I'd say that driving/racing games start off with a smaller fan-base, but are easier to get into.

Mario-Kart is the proof that most racing simulators are a waste of effort by the designer though. Of all the racing games out there, the one that you'd jump back into in an instant (and try to get friends to play) isn't a hyper-realistic modern racing simulator (or an old one) but rather it's the N-64 Mario Kart, which bares no resemblance to any vehicle or race ever made, but is just FUN.

Gorrath:
How do sports and racing games beat out genres like "God-awful real life job simulator 20XX" or "Something Mama" or any other genre where you have almost no actual game play and pretty much no way to lose?

Because those games prove video games can be something more than Ego builders.

You may find something like Harvest Moon boring but when such mechanics of a game are pulled into a game like Skyrim it actually makes Skyrim more immerse. And what about the person who doesn't want to be killed while playing the parts that have nothing to do with killing? Well there's always Harvest Moon.

NBA Jam is indeed the only sports game worth playing.

BOOM SHACKALACKA!!!!!

Karadalis:

Loki_The_Good:

Jandau:

Strategy thought gets completly screwed by the dice in Blood bowl for better or for worse.

Get your chaos minotaur killed by a goblin against all odds? That stuff happens.

But there are more "fun" sports games that dont really exist like that in real life then there are racing games that do something new and/or exiting.

So most boring game genre for me is the racing genre.

the most fun you can have in bloodbowl is plahying a team like the goblins and actually managing to do something successfully. i retired one player on my old tabletop bloodbowl goblin team.. i always imagined grook vampire slayer became a superstar. sure the vampire attempted to tackle him and critically failed and killed himself but thats not the point !

I miss Carmageddon. That was a purely fun game.
I enjoy playing Gran Turismo on the playstation with my wheel, pedals and gearshift. It's not groundbreaking or diverse in any way, but neither is playing WoW for almost ten years and still getting an occasional kick out of it.

Sports games seem to do fine, they have a lot of intricate moves you need to know as well as thinking ahead. I don't like sports games, but there's a definite market for them and I'm glad they're there as another variety of gaming. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised there haven't been more elements from them in other games...

If I had to pick the most boring genre, it would be RTS the way it's intended to be played. Too much effort for too little actual action.
Best game I had was a round of assassination at a LAN party in C&C Generals. We each had a target we had to kill and if we succeeded, we were free to screw around with the others, but they weren't allowed to attack you until they'd kill their own target.
Playing SC2 as intended is some of the most trite shit ever. And yeah, I'm bad at it. That doesn't help.

bdcjacko:

BOOM SHACKALACKA!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I forgot about Boom Shackalacka! Man, that was the best.

Firefilm:

bdcjacko:

BOOM SHACKALACKA!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I forgot about Boom Shackalacka! Man, that was the best.

From down town?

hmm, kyle's argument is kind of invalid when talking about arcade racers... this was a onesided battle in my opinion :p

Kyle loses because of Top Gear on the SNES and Burn Out Revenge on the 360.
Those are awesome games ;)
And mind you, BO: R had great (and evnetually super difficult) racing in it, without the crashing of opponents.
And that STILL was fun!!! :D

"Slow clap" for how thanks to DLC you buy a racing game and still can't afford to drive the car's you can't afford to drive in real life comment.

Also, damn I had forgotten how awful the Joel Schumacher Batman batmobiles looked.

RatGouf:

Gorrath:
How do sports and racing games beat out genres like "God-awful real life job simulator 20XX" or "Something Mama" or any other genre where you have almost no actual game play and pretty much no way to lose?

Because those games prove video games can be something more than Ego builders.

You may find something like Harvest Moon boring but when such mechanics of a game are pulled into a game like Skyrim it actually makes Skyrim more immerse. And what about the person who doesn't want to be killed while playing the parts that have nothing to do with killing? Well there's always Harvest Moon.

I think you might mistake my point. I actually own three Harvest Moon games and have great fun with them. I find the planting/growing crops to be cathartic. There is a certain level of subjectivity to this of course, as someone who just finds sports boring isn't likely to enjoy playing Madden. However, I think one can make a good argument that, with all their expanded functionality, modern sports games are as a genre not the snorefest that say "Trash Truck Simulator 20XX" is. This is in no way a condemnation of people who like playing "Euro Bakery Delivery Van Day Job" or "Commercial Flight Simulator 1998", it's simply to point out the dubious claim that the sports genre is somehow more boring than these games tend to be, personal tastes not withstanding.

There are some genres of games out there that are barely games at all, and while I'd never begrudge someone having fun with them, I would think the overwhelming sales of many of the top sports games shows that a whole lot of people find the genre anything but boring.

But ... I like sports games. And MarioKart is awesome. Both wrong!

Greg

Hey Dan they did the whole sport you can't actually play back in the old days (remember gamecube?) Yeah... This existed:

Also, I just checked ESPN is owned by Disney, and Marvel is owned by Disney.... SO what we could have is an ESPN football game where at halftime DocOc kidnaps the reff and then you suddenly have to do a mini game (as Peter Parker, who was of course selling pizza in the stands at the Jets game) to rescue the referee.

Come on Disney, you can make that happen combine your ESPN and Marvel franchises!!!

First episode ever I've closed without finishing. You guys came off as very ignorant here. Sure, people are allowed to voice their opinion. But this was like me explaining to Richard Feynman why I don't like particle physics. Just embarrassing.

Jandau:

Bingo. This was the first thing that flew into my mind when Dan started ranting about unreal sports. I guarantee you that nobody is going to turn off (or stand up from, since, y'know, tabletop game and all) Blood Bowl, go outside and chainsaw a mutated rat to death.

That said, as soon as that happens, boom, I'm there.

My last point on sports games: Football Manager. I am addicted to it. I love that game to pieces. I'm not sure if that helps or hinders Dan's argument but hot damn, I could scour the dregs of England for decent players all day long.

Kenjitsuka:
Kyle loses because of Top Gear on the SNES and Burn Out Revenge on the 360.
Those are awesome games ;)
And mind you, BO: R had great (and evnetually super difficult) racing in it, without the crashing of opponents.
And that STILL was fun!!! :D

Dude! you had me all excited for a moment there.... I thought they had taken the show Top Gear and made it a videogame.... then I read "SNES" and went OH.... its 20 years old. NVM.

My family is a bunch of petrol heads, they would be flipping to see that racing was considered separate from sports in this debate, they're always correcting me.

Also, as others have pointed out, Blood Bowl, Twisted Metal, Wipeout and other games cure that itch about having something different in them.

I've always wondered why iterative racing games - like Forza, which I adore despite the franchise-killing threat of DLC - don't release even a halfway decent gun mod. Speaking from the almost pure innocence of someone who has no idea what's going on under the hood it seems like something which should be really easy to implement.

And not just guns, but all the James Bond-y / Car Wars bits. Oil slicks, caltrops, etc etc.

I understand why cut-rate racing games add these items in to give themselves some depth because they can't compete as straight racers, but man I'd love to see a solid racing engine go low brow.

I think racing games are a bit more interesting for people who don't like racing than sports games are for people who don't like sports. But racing games have become pretty dam boring. Burnout was the best racing franchise till Paradise killed it.

If you wanna play a sports game you can't play in reality.
Well,
play league of legends. Team fortress 2. Killing floor. Starcraft (2).
Or any other game ever made, really.

Greg Tito:

Greg

Don't leave us hangin' Greg, what genre or two would YOU pick to be the most boringest thing ever?

Deathrow was a fantasy sports game on the original Xbox and was fantastic as well. Except facing the demon or ninja teams. Jerks.

Never got the credit it deserved.

Greg Tito:

Greg

(Sheepishly) yes sir. Sorry sir.

Check out this game http://nextcargame.com/. There's your "car game" that isn't uninteresting :P

Hmmm... I LOVE sports and racing games... BUT... I love the unrealistic ones.

I love F-Zero GX, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (actually better than any Mario Kart) and NBA Jam.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here