Rusty Ethics

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rusty Ethics

Twigs for the Twig God!

Read Full Article

I love the Penny Arcade joke for this game too XD

'I used to be like you, now look at me. I have pants.'

My, aren't the girls really dressed up, by Rust standards.

Ironically, Rust is the one Early Access survival game I purposely skipped because I though it looked boring. I figured I didn't need another one seeing as I bought DayZ, Nether, and 7 Days to Die, however Rust seems to be the one everyone praises the most. Figures.

Not that I regret my purchases. I enjoy each of them in different ways. The only problem is that inevitably, every vocal part of the forum communities are absolutely drooling idiots and people crying when the game is too hard for them.

That's the second Critical Miss in a row that gave me a smile and a chuckle. Good stuff!

AnthrSolidSnake:
Ironically, Rust is the one Early Access survival game I purposely skipped because I though it looked boring. I figured I didn't need another one seeing as I bought DayZ, Nether, and 7 Days to Die, however Rust seems to be the one everyone praises the most. Figures.

Not that I regret my purchases. I enjoy each of them in different ways. The only problem is that inevitably, every vocal part of the forum communities are absolutely drooling idiots and people crying when the game is too hard for them.

Rust is only hard in the sense that you literally only start with a rock, a medpack, and a torch. that's it.

Weapons, clothing, shelters, all of that is made from the resources you gather with your rock.

Now, if that didn't seem daunting, you also got wolves, bears, and the seldom zombie placeholder that will attack you.

Even then, if you do manage to build a half decent shelter, get a hatchet and maybe a pistol, and of course the ever elusive pants that people first make so they are not completely nude, then you have to worry about other players going the easy route and just taking what you worked to make.

Whereas DayZ you just have to be lucky and find a place that has either respawned items or hasn't been looted yet.

Both are good games, both show just how dickish people would be in a post apocalyptic scenario, but they are different enough that a fan of ether game would enjoy the other.

Art seemed slightly different than normal, is it Rachell Baggs again?

Kalezian:

AnthrSolidSnake:

Rust is only hard in the sense that you literally only start with a rock, a medpack, and a torch. that's it.

Weapons, clothing, shelters, all of that is made from the resources you gather with your rock.

Now, if that didn't seem daunting, you also got wolves, bears, and the seldom zombie placeholder that will attack you.

Even then, if you do manage to build a half decent shelter, get a hatchet and maybe a pistol, and of course the ever elusive pants that people first make so they are not completely nude, then you have to worry about other players going the easy route and just taking what you worked to make.

Whereas DayZ you just have to be lucky and find a place that has either respawned items or hasn't been looted yet.

Both are good games, both show just how dickish people would be in a post apocalyptic scenario, but they are different enough that a fan of ether game would enjoy the other.

I was planning on buying Rust once it gets towards completion. I just have too many Early Access alpha games to keep up with right now, and unfortunately Rust didn't make it for me. I've been watching Markiplier play it, and it certainly does look like something I've be interested in, but things have happened and I don't have the cash for it right now.

http://play-rust.wikia.com/wiki/Player

No naked, post-apocalyptic women?

THAT'S SEXIST!

I have to be honest, I don't really 'get' this new genre of games sweeping the market. Everything I've seen of them just seems downright boring as hell. I'd rather play a structured, finished game with clear goals like State of Decay. You're a survivor, here's some zombies, here's some other survivors, here's a base, here's some missions. Have fun. As opposed to, you're a naked guy in a huge empty map and when you finally find another player, there's a good chance they will bash your head in to take your rock.

HOW IS THAT FUN?

AldUK:
HOW IS THAT FUN?

It isn't, the fun comes from the part where you haven't been bashed by a rock.

AldUK:
I have to be honest, I don't really 'get' this new genre of games sweeping the market. Everything I've seen of them just seems downright boring as hell. I'd rather play a structured, finished game with clear goals like State of Decay. You're a survivor, here's some zombies, here's some other survivors, here's a base, here's some missions. Have fun. As opposed to, you're a naked guy in a huge empty map and when you finally find another player, there's a good chance they will bash your head in to take your rock.

HOW IS THAT FUN?

It's all the thrill of hardcore surviving without actually risking your life. I'm not sure how to explain it to someone who doesn't get it, because every time I have has been a lost cause, but really, it's just nice to play a game that's hard because of the other people. It's all the thrill of intense, online combat combined with survival elements. It's not really meant for those that can't stand losing to someone else.

There's nothing wrong with not getting it, I can see why someone wouldn't want to. Either because they don't have the time to constantly start over, or just don't like the difficulty. It's all perfectly fine. But like anything, there's going to be a group of people who find these games really fun.

For example, I don't see why people enjoy League of Legends, or Kerbal Space Program, or pretty much any MMO, but I know that there's tons of people who do enjoy those games.

I kind of want to try this one out, but I'm hesitant. I remember trying DayZ and being disappointed, though looking back, that was probably more because of the broken interface and overall glitchiness. I dunno - maybe if it goes on sale.

AldUK:

HOW IS THAT FUN?

'cause if you catch them unawares you can bash their heads in. Then nick their stuff and use it to build a house.

Does anyone know if fire has been implemented yet? I think that might be a problem if you can only build wooden houses.

I went back and forth between Rust and DayZ, eventually going with the latter, but I could see me picking this up once it's out and steam saled. If DayZ has taught me anything so far, it's that there's a serious amount of joy to be gained from finding mundane, but incredibly useful things without being murdered for them. I feel like serious hot shit now that I managed to survive an entire play session of DayZ with a backpack and an ax. At least until literally anyone with a gun shows up and takes them...

I'm really digging this new art-style. It's very cute!

Erm...erm, erm, errrm, they are wearing those potato sacks.

Wait, what do you mean the game has no women in it! Man, the futures a right sausage fest...

I don't get it...

I heard that the players/community completely kill this game.

Apparently it's next to impossible to do anything without getting destroyed by the people who are already well established.

Well, having looked at the Steam page, Rust looks like it WOULD be a great game to play. If it had a single-player mode.

AnthrSolidSnake:

RUST is less Dayz and more Garry's mod. Since its made by the same person.

Garrysmod had a game mode called survival (it had others too). The name may have changed by the idea is the same.

That players start with nothing and they build up villages and soon tribes then nations. It grows exponentially until everyone has stoves and are fighting with guns. Alternatively, it will end up being a quagmire of griefers.

It is very popular, along with the game mode that lets you build space ships and colonize planets for yourself. I forgot its name.

So when you buy rust, you are buying a highly popular mod of their previous game that has been refined, balanced, and officially supported just like DayZ was. That's the only similarity though. So you don't have to wait for someone to come along and refine the game mode like in garry's mod.

I hope after rust they turn the space ship mode into a full game. Hell, even trouble in terrorist town and that ghost buster game mode will work wonders.

AldUK:

HOW IS THAT FUN?

Its not really new, the idea has been around in mods for years and supported by people with spare time. The only difference is that this idea was picked up by the new indie market that is sweeping gaming.

AnthrSolidSnake:

AldUK:

HOW IS THAT FUN?

It's all the thrill of hardcore surviving without actually risking your life. I'm not sure how to explain it to someone who doesn't get it, because every time I have has been a lost cause, but really, it's just nice to play a game that's hard because of the other people. It's all the thrill of intense, online combat combined with survival elements. It's not really meant for those that can't stand losing to someone else.

I thought he mean that the game is incomplete, like, why would you like to play in an awful looking empty map, with awful looking characters and animations, in an unfinished buggy game with a dumb premise?
I love harshness tough, i played FOnline 2238 for years, but that mod was stable and all its mechanics worked, and there wasnt cheaters, and the GM organized great events. But Rust is like Many Access games, just insultingly incomplete.
I prefer to wait for the standalone DayZ, even if that takes years.

This concise, three-panel affair seems bang on the money. Well done, OP, good shout. Burlap fashion is so very underrated.

reiniat:

AnthrSolidSnake:

AldUK:

HOW IS THAT FUN?

I thought he mean that the game is incomplete, like, why would you like to play in an awful looking empty map, with awful looking characters and animations, in an unfinished buggy game with a dumb premise?
I love harshness tough, i played FOnline 2238 for years, but that mod was stable and all its mechanics worked, and there wasnt cheaters, and the GM organized great events. But Rust is like Many Access games, just insultingly incomplete.
I prefer to wait for the standalone DayZ, even if that takes years.

Well, now I don't know what to think about "early access" anything. Jim Sterling had me sold as a load of total bollocks, but here it's the honor of being among the first to play something new before it gets real popular.
OMG, I now get the appeal of being a hipster.

It is a second Rachel Bagg's strip. While I quite like the art style I wonder where Cory is and /crazy conspiracy on/ if burning of the offices couple of weeks before was in any way an indication of Cory leaving the comics /crazy conspiracy off/

templar1138a:
Well, having looked at the Steam page, Rust looks like it WOULD be a great game to play. If it had a single-player mode.

It's multiplayer only? Awh... Oh well. I have enough multiplayer games I'm involved in at the moment, I don't particularly wish to add another to the list at the moment.

Will keep an eye on it though.

Did Cory switch up his style? Cause I like it.

If this is Rust shouldn't they be topless? :P

"There are no women because of the Virus", lol right.

Makes a world full of naked men have some totally different connotations that's for sure.
But still hope they rethink that lazy decision.

Fun comic btw :)

Fdzzaigl:
"There are no women because of the Virus", lol right.

Makes a world full of naked men have some totally different connotations that's for sure.
But still hope they rethink that lazy decision.

Fun comic btw :)

Right now it is a sound decision. If they decide to do a female model later, then so be it.

Too few games are concerned with Fung Shei.

Pallindromemordnillap:
Art seemed slightly different than normal, is it Rachell Baggs again?

It mentions Rachel's name right in the strip.

Why are these games exclusively multiplayer in the first place? Seems no reason why you couldn't make a game like Rust single player, and yet it's exclusively multiplayer. When a big company like EA does this we all get up in arms about it, because always-online is just an annoying way to do DRM. You could say "oh well it's an online game" like WoW or whatever, but it's not, and I see no reason why it couldn't have a single player mode. I did actually consider buying it when reading about it because it looked cool, but if I'm going to have to deal with shoddy servers and other douchey players when it would just be nice to have a true sandbox.

Loving the new art. And between this and Penny Arcade (which is guess is the "Simpsons did it" of the Gaming-related webcomic world?), I'm inclined to check out Rust, just to see what all this inhumane pantslessness is about.

Redlin5:

Did Cory switch up his style? Cause I like it.

Corey didn't do the art. Rachel Baggs did, like last time.

hentropy:
Why are these games exclusively multiplayer in the first place? Seems no reason why you couldn't make a game like Rust single player, and yet it's exclusively multiplayer. When a big company like EA does this we all get up in arms about it, because always-online is just an annoying way to do DRM. You could say "oh well it's an online game" like WoW or whatever, but it's not, and I see no reason why it couldn't have a single player mode. I did actually consider buying it when reading about it because it looked cool, but if I'm going to have to deal with shoddy servers and other douchey players when it would just be nice to have a true sandbox.

It doesn't get the same hate because it's not on the same level of attention.

But then, I don't see why it's okay for WoW to be online only but not this. Surely both could have single-player campaigns. Or maybe a sense of community here is important.

I don't care much, because this isn't really my thing.

What would you even do in a single player version of this game? Whenever I'm the last player on a server I either get bored or stock up for when more players log on. There's no tension without other players. This game seems to be built around the threat of interacting with other real people, because without it all you're left with is a very limited version of Minecraft where the monsters don't even come to you and you can't affect the terrain.

I mean, you could peacefully chop wood and build a sprawling fort on a single player server, but why? Nothing is going to attack it. Plus all of the weapons and armor that you can make can only be used to trivialize fighting animals and zombies, which are not dangerous at all if you aren't forced to also be aware of potential player ambushers.

Compatriot Block:
What would you even do in a single player version of this game? Whenever I'm the last player on a server I either get bored or stock up for when more players log on. There's no tension without other players. This game seems to be built around the threat of interacting with other real people, because without it all you're left with is a very limited version of Minecraft where the monsters don't even come to you and you can't affect the terrain.

I mean, you could peacefully chop wood and build a sprawling fort on a single player server, but why? Nothing is going to attack it. Plus all of the weapons and armor that you can make can only be used to trivialize fighting animals and zombies, which are not dangerous at all if you aren't forced to also be aware of potential player ambushers.

That's just the thing, I wouldn't mind just playing a game like this, at least for a little while, by myself just to get a hold of the mechanics. To you know, learn how to play it before I get killed by players who are basically experts already.

It just seems like these types of games intentionally model the whole game around multiplayer as a sneaky way to make it DRM-dependent, and it'll get awards and accolades and people won't stop talking about it, meanwhile EA even mentions "always online" the media and game bases lead crusades and get them voted worse company ever. I just guess it's all about precedent.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here