Nidhogg Review - On the Fence

Nidhogg Review - On the Fence

Strange fun, if you have company.

Read Full Article

Huh, it looks like people other than me really like the swordfighting in the original Prince of Persia. I might just have to pick this up!

Man... this looks like one of the first "real" Swashbuckling games I've ever seen... though I do wish it was wrapped up in a package I was actually interested instead of relying on multiplayer... though this seems to be a trend in gaming, no more single player story based stuff with cool set pieces nope, just multiplayer...

So this goes in the same pile as Titanfall, cool idea but because it relies on multiplayer to be good I will probably NEVER play it.

I've been hyped for this ever since I first heard about it - I bought it immediately. The current release is kind of buggy unfortunately, and the content is pretty lacking considering how long it took to finally get released. I really, really like it, but the price is a little steep (even with the discount), and it is in need of some fixes.

Pretty much the fighting game for people who aren't really into traditional fighting games, and done in a much better way than Dive Kick ended up.

I agree that the initial price is maybe a little high given the sparseness of the package, but I also am wondering about the complaints about game being multiplayer focused. Given the core of the experience, I'm really not sure how this game could work as an expansive single player experience. I'd actually say that just the fact the game includes a functional VS AI mode at all is a bit of a surprise.

StriderShinryu:
Pretty much the fighting game for people who aren't really into traditional fighting games, and done in a much better way than Dive Kick ended up.

I agree that the initial price is maybe a little high given the sparseness of the package, but I also am wondering about the complaints about game being multiplayer focused. Given the core of the experience, I'm really not sure how this game could work as an expansive single player experience. I'd actually say that just the fact the game includes a functional VS AI mode at all is a bit of a surprise.

The beef most people seem to have with Nidhogg's multiplayer is that the online multiplayer seems to be functionally broken at the moment. The player hosting the match will have a smooth experience, while the one connecting will have varying degrees of awful lag and resets depending on how good/bad their connection is. I tried it one night with my friend, and the lag was so bad that you couldn't even execute a full jump before getting lag-reset back to my previous position. God help you if you get stuck holding onto a ledge, because you will never be able to jump off without the opponent kicking you off of it himself. Despite this though, my friend and I had an amazing time. The lag and jankiness of the online multiplayer was so bad as to be perversely hilarious.

Local multiplayer works like a charm though, and is immensely satisfying. It's also at least 50% spectator sport, as everyone watching was cheering and shouting excitedly throughout the whole time.

Also, on the topic of Divekick, I got the impression that it was more of an intro to traditional fighting games and less of an alternative to them. It strips things down to the basics of spacing and timing, letting players get the hang of that before trying any of the crazier stuff with energy meters, quarter-circle special moves, and juggle combo madness.

Moontouched-Moogle:

Also, on the topic of Divekick, I got the impression that it was more of an intro to traditional fighting games and less of an alternative to them. It strips things down to the basics of spacing and timing, letting players get the hang of that before trying any of the crazier stuff with energy meters, quarter-circle special moves, and juggle combo madness.

I'd say that that's actually where Divekick fails. It was supposed to be, and originally was, a very stripped back and core element focused version of a fighting game. It was the sort of thing that would appeal to newcomers to the genre while teaching the fundamentals of controlling space, making reads, mind games, etc. And then they added a bunch of extra stuff that made it alot less appealing to those who weren't already into the genre like, well, energy meters, special moves, extended mechanics and genre specific in jokes. Not saying it's a bad game, and can't still on some level appeal to/teach those to whom it initially seemed oriented, but it's definitely not a very pure experience.

From what I've heard from people, this seems to be a good title to play for an hour or so when you have a friend or two over. However, other than that it seems it simply isn't done yet (online multiplayer) and the single player seems pretty lacking. There also don't seem to be options like different characters (or other weapons/power ups) and there only seem to be few maps.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it but the price looks too steep for what the game currently is :/
So I'll get it in a sale or when it has more content.

First played this on the arcade machine at Mana Bar Melbourne. Fantastic game that my group of friends instantly fell in love with. Many great memories along with it and it's great to see the improvements that have been made since.

This game has to be watched on youtube (or demoed) to be fully appreciated. Pictures just don't do this game justice.

15 bucks.... 15 BUCKS!!! im sorry but i better wait until the price is drop....

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here