Jimquisition: Why So Serious?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Why So Serious?

Jim makes a point about humor and defensive fandoms the only way he knows how - by dressing up in silly costumes and exploiting tired old film references.

Watch Video

Huzzah I now have permission to laugjh at myself! Thank You Jim, and Thank God for Jim

Jimothy Sterling:
Why So Serious?

Jim makes a point about humor and defensive fandoms the only way he knows how - by dressing up in silly costumes and exploiting tired old film references.

Watch Video

This was a good episode. I agree that people often take things way too seriously and need to joke about a bit more. Even the games are getting a bit too serious. Star Wars 1313 was going to be a gritty reboot. Of the star wars universe. Because we need one apparently. And it was going to take place on coruscant and the guys making it said it would be a lot like new york. GTA IV in space. Because if anything needed realism, it's the series with space monks that use telekinetic powers to throw things and shoot lightning at each other.

Saints Row IV and Far Cry 3 blood dragon seem to be the only games last year that actually wanted to have fun.

Oh, by the way, this video is still unlisted on your show page.

One does have to recognize the difference between light hearted ribbing of something and legitimate trolling. Although that can be difficult sometimes.

This one really hit home. As someone who adores a good gag, I get hit often with the oversensitive fanboy rage reflex. Occasionally it's deserved I suppose. I'm not above a bit of personal reflection. But more often than not it's someone not only missing the joke, but missing it then turning around to miss it again, then running over the joke with a 4x4 truck.

But Jim, if we ever take anything in jest then how will we ever be taken seriously? Or something like that.

Those crowd characters look like they belong in a horror game. Until you see that one cross-eyed one.

Heh, very true, though I wonder how Yahtzee would take your comment about most good jokes coming from a place of love. One of things I like about the Pokemon fandom is that most of the fans I've encountered are perfectly happy to laugh about the series stranger side, story flaws and contradictions, shame there aren't more fandoms around like that.

Good one again. Nice points and indeed people should really listen to you.

Although I think you meant Police Squad when you said Naked Gun.
Police Squad is more a spoof on detectives and Naked Gun has it's aim set more on spy movies like James Bond.

Army of Darkness is my favourite movie of all time.
I will never contest anyone who claims it's a stupid and poorly made film.

Absolutely agree. We as gamers just need to have some fun and not get too serious about EVERYTHING. I am a huge fun of Gran Turismo 5 and 6 and spot the flaws in the games and laugh at most of them including the very strange crowd in the background. It's just good to have a bit of fun. Similar to Fallout 3, yes it's not the best game ever but I love it and is one of my favourite games and can laugh at the silly glitches like talking to a random NPC and mid convo they just fly into the air like Superman.
At the end of the day, it's about having fun and a great big laugh, while you play your favourite games and honestly...

Why So Serious?

But Jim if I learn to laugh at games how can I convince others what I do is a super serious hobby and a form of art. Everyone knows art can't be funny because if it were people might enjoy it and then there would be more people liking my thing and then,... and then I would be less special. AND THATS NOT FAIR. :{<-super serious frowny face.

Great show. Comedy has always been my favorite for of expression and it's a shame people seem to understand it so little. Just because you laugh doesn't make it immature or childish. Most of the time, like Jim alluded to, it's an expression that comes from deep understanding and passion.

In defense of some of the people you talk about, sometimes it's hard to tell online when someone is joking. There are very likely people who hate Sony that will use those character models as a reason why the PS4 sucks.

On a side note, intentionally making comically bad character models for a racing game might actually be a good source of free publicity.

Jimothy Sterling:
Why So Serious?

You seem to be taking this harmless issue way too seriously, Jim.

Yeah, as a Sonic fan, if I couldn't find a way to laugh or joke about some of the stuff that's happened to that franchise, I'd find myself stuck in an almost permanent depression whenever I thought about it.

But don't worry Jim, there's one sure fire way to let everyone know you're joking! Make/Put a Kappa face beside it.

I don't laugh at myself specifically because of my upbringing and other social environmental factors.

However, I did laugh at Critical Miss' comic on Spec Ops The Line.

CAPTCHA: change yourself

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO CAPTCHA, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL PARENT ANYWAY!

I still cant get over how the Sniper woman looks in Metal Gear Solid 5. Maybe her clothes (or lack of) have some sort of explanation that I don't get as I've not played any of the games myself, but come on. Why is every male character in that trailer dressed absolutely normal, but the one woman has super tight, revealing clothes and a tied together bikini. Shes not blending in with the environment or gaining any functionality from that outfit, but oh well...

kailus13:
Those crowd characters look like they belong in a horror game. Until you see that one cross-eyed one.

Is that a really subtle MLP reference? :P

JenSeven:
Police Squad is more a spoof on detectives and Naked Gun has it's aim set more on spy movies like James Bond.

I always though those were made by the same guys and that Naked Gun was just a movie version of the best Police Squad gags. But I have no clue, haven't seen them in ages. I guess I should re watch them soon.

Weaver:
Army of Darkness is my favourite movie of all time.
I will never contest anyone who claims it's a stupid and poorly made film.

Army of darkness is my favorite movie because it's a stupid and poorly made film. It's just done with such enthusiastic sincerity you can't help but join in the camp. I used to come home every day and watch it during a particularly depressed period of my life. I don't think there's another film in existence that has as much fun with itself as that movie.

I really like this episode, but according to the new forum Code of Conduct I'm not allowed to have a sense of humor about things I like, because you do, and you're a content creator for the site, and the audience isn't allowed to do anything that a content creator does.

You ruined it Jim, thank God for nothing.

JoJo:
Heh, very true, though I wonder how Yahtzee would take your comment about most good jokes coming from a place of love. One of things I like about the Pokemon fandom is that most of the fans I've encountered are perfectly happy to laugh about the series stranger side, story flaws and contradictions, shame there aren't more fandoms around like that.

If you haven't noticed, some of Yahtzee's best reviews were of games that wound up getting on his "top five best games" list.

What I take from this episode is that Jim thinks he's a fucking comedian extraordinaire and that us plebeians just don't get it man, just don't understand his humour and that it all sails straight over our heads. Well screw that, I'm done watching this show and that smug pretentious colossus. Tired Joker references, really?

Poe's Law wheeeeeeeeeee! I'm having a laugh because I love Jim.

Have always liked watching JimQuisition, good overall style and nice line delivery. Though sometimes it's kinda sad, more often than not it's just general knowledge everyone should know, if not by now then at least have a basic understanding of. Granted, it's a well thought out and strongly backed up piece, it's just the fact that this is something that feels necessary to be said and explained in detail makes me sad.

It's like a teacher to a grown student who's snorting pixie sticks, needing to be told to calm down , why what they're doing is wrong and to just grow up already. When they should already know either not to do it, or at least understand it's not something you should do.

But instead, insists on just sticking one up the other nostril and going to town on that bad boy.

Perfection is an Impossibility
If something was perfect it would have more sense than to exist in this world
Everything is flawed
But is that a bad thing?
Hell no, that's just how things are and the best way to deal with it is to laugh at it
I mean, loads of people love stuff for being bad, so I fail to see the issue people make about having a laugh
Like, I'd love Makai Wars to be a thing, but there is always gonna be that one snarky bastard at the back of my head going "Yeah, no, ha!"

Yeah, people need to not take certain things too seriously. I laugh at my favorite games all the time when someone is able to make a good joke about them. I'm guilty of making fun of Dynasty Warriors all the time by calling them the worst games I've ever loved to play and so forth. Metal Gear gets made fun of a lot within my group of friends, but we all love the series.

Damn... a lot of people taking this so personally. That itself is pretty ironically funny.

Good point Jim, another aspect of why on-line discussions are usually pointless cesspool's of human behavior. On-line thugs are just out to hear themselves as loud as possible, not to get new information from healthy debate, unless it validates their narrow-mindedness. That's why fun is seen as a weakness, because people are on a self validating crusade. It's war! And war is serious.

Once again Jimmy boy you have proven why I watch your show. My personal philosophy with anything be it an anime, movie, game or what have you has always been that you can't be a fan unless you acknowledge its flaws. Example, I love BIoshock Infinite but don't like the two weapon load-out, I like Kamen Rider Den-O but refuse to watch the Cho-Den-O movies. I like Youtube but absolutely loathe it's recent copyright system. You get my point can't wait for next week.

Reminds me of that comic Concerned: Gordon Frohman made with Garry's mod. A very exceptional critique of Half-life 2.

http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/index.php?date=2005-06-27

http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/index.php?date=2006-08-09

I'd actually like to see those 10 Golden Rules articles. Can they still be found?

I saw it Jim! Val Kilmer!

In all seriousness though - you scratched the top of this issue, but its kind of deep seeded. Having a laugh at something is seen as immature - its popular to think that rage and hatred are more mature, and therefore, a better source or discussion about a game.

The truth is that the kind of people this episode is targeted towards, ironically, love 'trolling', making a scene, or are just genuinely full of malice. They either see it as mature, funny, or see an attack on something they enjoy as an attack on a part of their personality. The kind of people who do that probably aren't mature enough to take a step back and say "Oh hey, people can like different things than me. Oh hey, them making fun of something I love doesn't mean they're making fun of me."

I'm a fan of Timesplitters, in my experience no games did this better.

Agreed on all points.

Also, kind of off topic, but is Zhang He your favorite DW character? Every time you show footage of DW you are always playing as him XD

It's because of the dance party he hosted that one time, isn't it?

I've looked at things like this for a while. If you can't make fun of something, anything at all, then you obviously don't love it. I love City of Heroes and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, but I also have a list of reasons why I thought they were flawed and in City of Heroes, it provided some good humour (such as when you finish a mission, leave the map and find out the next mission is in the door you just exited through, as if you either need to go to another floor of the building or the baddies sneaked in as you cleared out the last lot).

Also, is Dara O'Briain, a self confessed gaming nut and regular host of the BAFTA British Academy Game Awards, a troll for this routine?

canadamus_prime:
I'd actually like to see those 10 Golden Rules articles. Can they still be found?

I was about to ask that exact question, but then I remembered something, so without further adieu:
http://bit.ly/1aEy8aW

It would be like if TellTales The Walking Dead was just 100% gritty, seriousness with nothing but disaster after disaster happens.
Sure it can be 'realism' in their eyes and they're taking it seriously... but, we're humans. People do not like horrible things to be continuous for very long without a sense of hope or something to get enjoyment out of.

In the Walking Dead, there is humor to the game. There are jokes here and there, along with multiple levels of emotions flying about that makes the game a masterpiece. If I was not allowed to joke about a character because something happens to them in game later- well.. wow okay. I also know Jim is telling the truth because try making jokes about Spec Ops: The Line with hardcore fans of the game.

Despite you mean no harm, they'll probably rip you a new one.

Or make jokes about Dark Souls with hardcore fans.... they'll get all offensive for some reason too (not always, but more often then you'd like for it to happen). If someone says, "Haha this is so easy, I run around in the nude. It feels as if i'm wearing nothing at all~" People will jump on him/her saying how dare they for assuming the game is easy. Well hate to break it to yah, but to some people it is after some time. Dark Souls is easy to me BUT only because i've played it so many times, have learned about everything, and know what's waiting for me and how to prepare. Otherwise it's a very challenging and difficult game indeed.

Fappy:

Also, kind of off topic, but is Zhang He your favorite DW character? Every time you show footage of DW you are always playing as him XD

It's because of the dance party he hosted that one time, isn't it?

Who else is as fabulous?

Also, what dance party!?

Mojo:

JenSeven:

I always though those were made by the same guys and that Naked Gun was just a movie version of the best Police Squad gags. But I have no clue, haven't seen them in ages. I guess I should re watch them soon.

No, you're right. The Naked Gun series was a movie extension of the Police Squad series. The first movie's full title was "The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!". It's sort of similar to what happened with the Red Alert series. The first one was meant to be a prequel to the core C&C series but the second and third went in another direction.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here