Why Rust is The Best Game Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Why Rust is The Best Game Ever

Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.

Read Full Article

*starts to slow clap*
bravo, I always love games where you have to try and play mind games to win e.g. trouble in terrorist down game mode in garry's mod.

Why do I get the impression that Cory is the quiet psychopathic genius, while Grey is just along for the lulz?

XD

Remind me never to play Rust with you. ...or play Rust PERIOD.

Nice. Now if only these kinds of things could be accomplished in single player games...

This is why I love a game like Defcon, where you can do this kind of stuff too... in a nuclear warfare game. Betray everyone and get them to shoot each other while they all think you're their very bestest best friend. :-)

canadamus_prime:
Remind me never to play Rust with you. ...or play Rust PERIOD.

Yeah, out of all the reviews I've seen of this game, they tend to have people with friends who play Rust having lots of fun while people who play alone have varying degrees of fun, never as happy as the people with buddies. Not even close.

So... it's basically EVE Online, but not in space or spreadsheet format? I may have to investigate further.

I think I'll avoid this game. Not because of fear of being ganked, but rather the impulse to give in to psychopathic tendencies is too great. A game that basically allows me to be a serial killer in a digital world, the thought is almost too much.

Kill a player while he's alive...

Where are my bad-anime-translation-macros? Where are they?!

Welp, chalk this up to a game I'll only ever play if my friends do.

Soooo... probably never. Ah social/multiplayer gaming. Maybe one day, but probably not.

nuttshell:

Kill a player while he's alive...

Where are my bad-anime-translation-macros? Where are they?!

Those aren't bad translations. Its refering to a popular Japanese idiom. A very tough person is described as "he won't die even if we kill him". The most famous of those image macros, from fate stay night, is basicly reaffirming that death is a natural part of life. "People die when they are killed. That's the way it has to be."

the rest of my dota team wants me to buy this so we can do just this kinda thing. i really don't want to, this will be same as open world pvp in wow, i really shouldn't feed my inner asshole.
and early access is a horrible concept

That's... evil. Carter, if I'm ever stuck in an anarchic situation with you, you understand that I'll now have to kill you preemptively, right? It's nothing personal, of course.

Daystar Clarion:
Why do I get the impression that Cory is the quiet psychopathic genius, while Grey is just along for the lulz?

XD

I'm pretty sure that any party to this kind of war game is a psychopath. And within the scope of 'Rust', they are now both forever war criminals, that's for certain.

Yeah I'm not playing this game ever. If this is the kind of behavior to expect from the current player base, being a newbie will be all but impossible. Really entertaining and fun GAME that.

Call me back when the game is actually finished and it doesnt make my eyes bleed... IF THAT EVER HAPPENS.

Do gamers really need another reason to behave like sociopaths?

You must make me your apprentice!

That's funny, I would have titled this: "How online games bring out the absolute worst in people".

With the addendum "And how some of the most popular games at the moment (Rust and DayZ) are those that enable that behaviour"

Oooh, you can handcuff someone and make him drink bleach, DayZ is the best game ever! Oooh, lying and cheating is so rewarding in Rust, it's the best game ever!!

Generic game about zombie survival without female characters is "the best game ever"?

I'd rather play Pong. :P

Zira:
Generic game about zombie survival without female characters is "the best game ever"?

My biggest problem with dayz and rust is that its not even zombie survival. Its "attempt to survive other player douchebaggery" because they make it incredibly difficult to actually work together, and very easy to just be a raging dickhole.

Get to PVE Server: No problems.

OK, besides the stuff, that players still might be able to bust your door and steal your hard earned stuff, while you can't hide it underground like one could Minecraft stile.

Seriously, this game either has nice uncles, or A- holes settling everywhere. <.<

I find this deep somehow... dang. Also that last picture- it's Avatar worthy (as in, to wear as an Avatar lol)
But yeah, is there more going on then you're leading on Cory and Greg?

Yagami_Kira:

Zira:

My biggest problem with dayz and rust is that its not even zombie survival. Its "attempt to survive other player douchebaggery" because they make it incredibly difficult to actually work together, and very easy to just be a raging dickhole.

Mmmmh! The more I hear about this game the more I think I wasn't quick to judge it, after all.

teebeeohh:
the rest of my dota team wants me to buy this so we can do just this kinda thing. i really don't want to, this will be same as open world pvp in wow, i really shouldn't feed my inner asshole.

INNER asshole?! If your asshole is inside your body, you need to see a doctor like NOW.

Caramel Frappe:
I find this deep somehow... dang. Also that last picture- it's Avatar worthy (as in, to wear as an Avatar lol)
But yeah, is there more going on then you're leading on Cory and Greg?

You are right! That's , this .gif of Yahtzee clapping his hands and saying "WONK!" has failed. I'm switching to Machiavelli. An Assassin and renaissance Italy's Stephen Colbert.

On the one hand, that's actually pretty damn awesome. And evil... but awesome. That's the kind of organic, "you can do ANYTHING" gameplay that's always struck me as freakishly cool.
On the other hand, I think I've just been deterred from ever buying this game.

I couldn't play this for the same reasons I couldn't get into Walking Dead or Falling Skies. It's the same basic plotline. Something Bad has happened, most people are gone, any kind of central authority and law is gone. People devolve into little more than wandering raiders screwing each over for resources or fun instead of trying to rebuild... It doesn't say good things about humanity, does it? That freed of laws and consequences, this is what people turn to...

I think part of what bothers a lot of people about this game is that there's no real way to permanently escape danger. I have read plenty of posts on the Escapist where people talk about the fun they had trolling someone in some game, but they've usually reached a point where they're too powerful or on the same team, so retribution is pretty much impossible.

In Rust, all it takes to kill the baddest dude is a naked man with patience and a rock if he slips up.

Or maybe people like the concept of a game where you're in constant danger, but don't want to risk losing progress.

You'd think that there might be a bit of overlap between Dark Souls fans and Rust players.

Compatriot Block:

I think part of what bothers a lot of people about this game is that there's no real way to permanently escape danger. I have read plenty of posts on the Escapist where people talk about the fun they had trolling someone in some game, but they've usually reached a point where they're too powerful or on the same team, so retribution is pretty much impossible.

In Rust, all it takes to kill the baddest dude is a naked man with patience and a rock if he slips up.

Or maybe people like the concept of a game where you're in constant danger, but don't want to risk losing progress.

You'd think that there might be a bit of overlap between Dark Souls fans and Rust players.

well it sort of lends a bit of poetic license what with the "live by the rock, die by the rock" theme

Ahh, so Rust IS just Griefer's Paradise. Welp, strike that one off the list.

You know what game I'm really waiting for?

A game that can achieve this level of interaction and freedom without pitting players against each other constantly. A game where upon seeing another player your gut instinct is not to hide or run away because he might kill you, but to go to that player and group up because otherwise the world might kill you.

A cooperative survival horror game. I think it'd be possible if you let go of zombies as the main antagonists, those are inherently usually non-threatening due to not being very fast, very perceptive nor individually very strong. Create a dragon apocalypse for example, with massive dragons actively hunting down players and the only way to resist and build safe places is to group up and fight them off together.

Hagi:
You know what game I'm really waiting for?

A game that can achieve this level of interaction and freedom without pitting players against each other constantly. A game where upon seeing another player your gut instinct is not to hide or run away because he might kill you, but to go to that player and group up because otherwise the world might kill you.

A cooperative survival horror game. I think it'd be possible if you let go of zombies as the main antagonists, those are inherently usually non-threatening due to not being very fast, very perceptive nor individually very strong. Create a dragon apocalypse for example, with massive dragons actively hunting down players and the only way to resist and build safe places is to group up and fight them off together.

Rust encourages cooperation up to a point. That's what's so cool about it.

The Wooster:
Rust encourages cooperation up to a point. That's what's so cool about it.

It's the up to a point part that I find less cool :P

I get the attraction of these sorts of games, played EvE for years and the excitement of seeing finding another player and not knowing what'll happen is great. But there comes a point, for me at least, where it just over-saturates. Slowly starts getting less and less exciting and eventually you just start killing stuff on sight and really caring anymore when/if you die.

For me at least these games don't last, as far as my experience goes. So I'd like a game that takes a different approach to the formula. More open to just approaching random strangers and playing with each other instead of against each other.

To quote an old Wendy's ad...
"Where's The Beef?"
by beef, I mean dicks.

Darth_Payn:

teebeeohh:

INNER asshole?! If your asshole is inside your body, you need to see a doctor like NOW.

No no no. You see, these people shit themselves on the inside. A doctor can't help them.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here