Zero Punctuation: Survival Special (Rust, Starbound, 7 Days to Die)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Survival Special (Rust, Starbound, 7 Days to Die)

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Rust, Starbound and 7 Days to Die.

Watch Video

I hope early access games are revisited when done.

Mostly because I have Starbound and love it. The ship was much harder a couple of patches ago, had to trap it on a dirt pillar and peck at it with a bow for 20 min to beat it.

I fuckin' lost it at the mention of classism.

I agree though. Rust got pretty boring pretty fast because nobody really wants to try to kill you and risk losing all of their stuff in the process, so they just harass the wildmen.

I didn't play Starbound but space Terraria never really seemed that interesting to me in the first place.

7 Days to Die looked like shit and I'm frankly getting sick of "Extremely Realistic Survival Horror but with Zombies".

Now I'm just counting down the days until zombies get replaced with aliens or some shit. Then we'll move back to elves and work our way towards zombies again. What a vicious cycle.

I wasn't upset at all about how similar Starbound was to Terraria. I feel like Starbound is going to end up being the game Terraria tried to be and failed. There's a lot more variety in just about everything (enemies, material, products) and hopefully the creator will continue to add stuff instead of just waffling about who gets what updates and whether or not updates are even going to happen.

Heh...ok, the NRA reference I saw coming, but still...

Yeah, like Yahtzee, I'd have thought making a good first impression would be better than being early. Then again, not a new thing.

I'll probably never bother with early access. I feel that even if I was interested and having fun with the game, I'd burn myself out on it before it got released properly. I have no issues with companies doing the whole early access thing. It's just something that doesn't appeal to me. Especially since the prime genre for it is something I have very little interest in to begin with.

Seemed like there was a missed oppurtunity to say that Starbound, Terraria and Minecraft were human centipeded together. 'tis a shame but the rest of the video being funny and the animations keeping up with the audio made up for it.

Funny thing about the UFO: it goes down a lot faster if you can get yourself in a position to melee it rather than shoot it. Makes the fight a lot easier (since much of the difficulty comes from avoiding all the penguin spawns, of which there will obviously be more the longer the UFO is alive).

But yeah, the difficulty curve in Starbound as it is now is...ridiculous, to say the least.

I thought that the 7 Days to Die strategy of hiding on a roof was fairly accurate for a zombie game. It's pretty easy to get yourself in a place where zombies can't immediately eat you (unless they are from that awful World War Z movie, in which case they will form a human pyramid if you so much as sneeze), but it's really hard to survive once you get there (run out of food and water, Yahtzee?). They need to reduce the number of weapons around, but the strategy itself was sound for surviving the first night.

The classism thing was very funny.

I don't think I could play Rust, the idea of a future entirely populated by sweaty/hairy/stinky men saddens me.

Mega Messiah:
I agree though. Rust got pretty boring pretty fast because nobody really wants to try to kill you and risk losing all of their stuff in the process, so they just harass the wildmen.

Is there a sniper rifle equivalent in the game? Because I can see that making sociopathy fun again. Go from harmony back to paranoid holing up in your windowless shack in a single update that favors long range sniping.

I've been playing Teraria and having a good time just playing it solo. Watching Starbound videos on YouTube makes me hopeful about it retaining the things that made Teraria fun and mildly addictive while fixing some of the things that were kind of infuriating (like not being able to make stairs and the single-block digging being upped to a 2x2 square to speed things up, particularly hellivators).

You didn't die in Rust post-bow? Lucky. Fucking zombie took me down twice and I respawned in the middle of nowhere. Well, I can always learn how to be good at the game, go back in and RP as a bandit to make things more fun for other people.

The only game I bothered buying in early access was Full Mojo Rampage but at least that one looks finished already, what is missing is just more content for the sake of content. To release a game with massive core mechanics absent from it is just retarded, its like paying to see the raw footage of Sin City before actually seeing the movie and expecting to have the same level of enjoyment out of it.

I mean, yeah, its still something cool to watch (and even pay for) but imagine if they were selling this before the release of the movie hoping that the sales money would fund the post-production, that would have been shit. It just spoils what could be a good product for the consumer since when the full thing releases he isnt going to experience it fresh.

So you never upgraded your bow because the game never told you too? Knowing to get stronger weapons should being part of gaming 101 especially when the mission warns "be ready for anything."

Starbound looks pretty cool since I really like terraria(more than minecraft) and I really like science fiction, I am going to wait until starbound is actualy finished before buying it.

nice nod to disco!

Ahh early access, the other way to drain money from a gamer: 1st kickstart 2nd early access!

captcha: pizza topping.... humm as it's a wednesday I'll go meat feast and meat feast!

Interesting that I had a practically identical experience with 7 Days to Die as Mr. Yahtzee did. After about 5 minutes I came upon a house which had a safe with a gun in it. Then I destroyed the stairs and spent parts of a night on the roof before I got bored and went around shooting the zombies until I ran out of ammo and promptly shut down the game...

I actually adore the idea of a well done survival game, but (so far at least) this one fails to impress. Have had a decent amount of fun in DayZ, and with a few mods Fallout: NV became a really very good survival experience. I feel like both Minecraft and Terraria are over a bit too quickly when it comes to survival... I guess thats what I dislike about all the survival games I've seen so far, including DayZ; I seem to reach an end-point too quickly. It seems too easy to get essential gear, food and water, and from that point on anything else are just bonuses. In DayZ I tend to go back to the coastline after a while, find a new player and give him all my stuff so that I can start over!

Mega Messiah:
Now I'm just counting down the days until zombies get replaced with aliens or some shit. Then we'll move back to elves and work our way towards zombies again. What a vicious cycle.

Via nazis, presumably...

It's interesting seeing Yahtzee have the same experience I did when playing Starbound. I originally spent ages scouring and demolishing the planet I started on. I began with looking for something that could be used as fuel before a friend eventually told me that, "You can use coal as fuel." Now I just didn't think to try that because the idea just didn't leap to mind that my starship would be powered by coal and (at the time) unprocessed wood. It also doesn't help that that little pointer isn't mentioned anywhere at any stage of the tutorial.

As much as I love Starbound, it definitely is a game for people who know what they want out of it and aren't afraid to go to secondary resources to find out how to get it.

There are all sorts of reasons to go to other planets, but the cool things only on some planets are rather obviously only visible if you go to those planets to see them. Coal as a fuel for the ship is equally hard to figure out unless you already know.

It's less that Starbound isn't done as an exploration and more that it doesn't have a good system for explaining to people how to do the exploration if they don't love themselves some wikidiving.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the planets in Starbound aren't infinite. Their size is determined by, well, the size of the planet, and it's technically possible to run out of resources if you use up the last bit of fuel for something else.

Playful Pony:

Mega Messiah:

Via nazis, presumably...

How about mutant dolphin men? That's one that's never been tried. Dragon men? Trogdor? Witches? Gallivanting and show tune singing knights of blood lust? (I got a trillion of 'em.)

Out of those I like the sound of Starbound, don't own a PC capable of playing games currently but according to this article it's planned to be ported to PS4, which I also plan on getting eventually, so maybe I'll pick it up then.

Best episode in a while. Quick-firing on multiple half-assed, inconcievably popular, early-access games that really shouldn't be getting development funding from so many gullible people on Steam.

It's about time someone did.

Also, the joke about early access at the end actually made me giggle. Been a while, Yahtzee but you can still elicit more than a raised eyebrow after all!

lord.jeff:
So you never upgraded your bow because the game never told you too? Knowing to get stronger weapons should being part of gaming 101 especially when the mission warns "be ready for anything."

"Be ready for anything" is not a warning. It's nothing. Be ready for anything means craft everything till tier 7 or whatever the limit is, so basically after the game gives you that quest, 30 minutes in, play 100 hours more before completing that quest. That's retarded. But no, of course you don't have to do all that. You just have to make some decent gear. How decent? Where do the rare components drop? Yup, it's Wiki time. That's the problem with these games really. Fire up your second monitor or alt-tab till the memory leaks set your computer on fire. It also doesn't help that the game is a coding clusterfuck, takes 5 real times minutes to load and runs like dogshit on an i5 while having SNES graphics. But yes, it's early access. And playing a game like that in early access is pretty much suicidal.

The Rust review made me laugh. The game talks more about the people who plays it than the game itself.

I think I'll get it eventually.

Alcaste:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the planets in Starbound aren't infinite. Their size is determined by, well, the size of the planet, and it's technically possible to run out of resources if you use up the last bit of fuel for something else.

I think that's been fixed since you can turn wood into coal and plant trees.

Great review, and have to say that Rust is the best of all 3. But, it's also a pain in the arse. I started it just last night, but crunched 5hrs into it because it's so damned addictive. Died quite a few times to decked out tools that think it's their duty to strip the world of naked people (ha?).

When I found an open shack with a furnace full of metal, and 2 supply boxes filled with shit, I immediately jacked it all and ran away. Only to be approached by 2 gents 45sec later asking "did you jack our stuff?". I did the damnedest of things by apologizing and returning their stuff, then they invited me to build a shack near them and they assisted me as I assisted them with mat gathering. Seriously nice blokes compared to the people on the roads (do NOT go to the roads!).

I remember one of the Highlander movies being panned because in theaters the ending still had the green screen involved. Little did they know they were just early access before it was cool.

thaluikhain:
Heh...ok, the NRA reference I saw coming, but still...

Well, he did kinda telegraph it.

lord.jeff:

I feel this is one of those situations where you'd discover more about the game if it DIDN'T tell you what to do.

When it doesn't tell you what to do, it triggers the instinct to figure things out for yourself. Terraria was wonderful in this regard.

Tip for starbound:
Trees grow in a biblical speed (when they are off screen, but not off world)... each full grown tree(takes about 2-3 minutes to get from pod to a tree) drops more than one pod, you'd have double the amount of pod(seed) if you'd chop them down..

10 wood = 1 coal(basic fuel for ship

quick solution: tree farming is the best way to get wood = quick infinity fuel.
(if you marked your tree farm planet as "Home" with navigation computer in the front of ship(seat), no matter where you go, you can warp home for free, and your ship stays at where you parked it, no fuel needed to go "home" to get recharge for your ship.
Plus
If chi-chi-chi-chia trees = wood & coal, that also means UNLIMITED WOOD PLANKS, Stairs, and you know what is ALSO made of wood and coal? TORCH!~ never will you fear dark when cave digging again!~ i usually carry 2000-4000 wood and 800 coal with me... you nver know when you need to dig to the center of some large planet....

Tip 2, you can overlap lava/poison water by placing dirt(or any other) blocks on where they are, or just cover it up, only time when you can't it's if there is something IN IT like box, vines or pods, which you can just dig, chop or hit them out...

One more thing... get better pick axe when you can... and get to drill as soon as you have the tech level for, time saver... make you ravage a planet a breez

have fun!~ the game is not bad... bosses have too much HP... you just need a iron bow, and a miniboss melee weapon... or like my 2nd play... bombs... faster take downs...

Carnagath:

lord.jeff:

"Be ready for anything" is not a warning. It's nothing. Be ready for anything means craft everything till tier 7 or whatever the limit is, so basically after the game gives you that quest, 30 minutes in, play 100 hours more before completing that quest. That's retarded. But no, of course you don't have to do all that. You just have to make some decent gear. How decent? Where do the rare components drop? Yup, it's Wiki time. That's the problem with these games really. Fire up your second monitor or alt-tab till the memory leaks set your computer on fire. It also doesn't help that the game is a coding clusterfuck, takes 5 real times minutes to load and runs like dogshit on an i5 while having SNES graphics. But yes, it's early access. And playing a game like that in early access is pretty much suicidal.

The ready for anything was enough to know a major fight was going to happen even if it was vague as to how hard of a fight so I made sure to put resources aside for armor and weapons before finishing the quest(still lost the first time but bosses should be hard). I personally enjoy the fact that a game largely about exploration lets you do as you please even if that means scoring yourself over, I find the oh shit moments that come from games not holding your hand a lot of fun. Though I agree with the rest of your post the coding is shit at this stage.

Evonisia:
Seemed like there was a missed oppurtunity to say that Starbound, Terraria and Minecraft were human centipeded together. 'tis a shame but the rest of the video being funny and the animations keeping up with the audio made up for it.

Yeah, wasn't Yahtzee the one who wanted to make "human centipeded" into an actual verb? He just missed the perfect opportunity.

Big_Willie_Styles:

Playful Pony:

Mega Messiah:

Via nazis, presumably...

How about mutant dolphin men? That's one that's never been tried. Dragon men? Trogdor? Witches? Gallivanting and show tune singing knights of blood lust? (I got a trillion of 'em.)

I believe that the obvious answer is Crab People. That said, I'm really hoping to see them as an enemy in the South Park game coming out *soon.

Shjade:
Funny thing about the UFO: it goes down a lot faster if you can get yourself in a position to melee it rather than shoot it. Makes the fight a lot easier (since much of the difficulty comes from avoiding all the penguin spawns, of which there will obviously be more the longer the UFO is alive).

But yeah, the difficulty curve in Starbound as it is now is...ridiculous, to say the least.

While the difficulty in Starbound is a step up from Terraria (especially starting out) it's not that bad imo. Honestly I found Terraria to be pretty easy till hardmode unlocked so having more aggressive wildlife, dealing with hunger/cold, etc. to be a welcome change. And I don't really see it as the games fault he wasn't prepared for a fight, I'm pretty sure they give you a warning (albeit a vague one if I recall) and the whole point of the game is to take your time and explore. Yeah he was in a hurry for a deadline but like speed running Skyrim you're playing it wrong that way.

Also as I'm sure many others have pointed out, Starbound is made by former Terraria people and is the spiritual successor/sequel so of course it's going to be very similar.

Mega Messiah:
I fuckin' lost it at the mention of classism.

I organized the players on my server to build an Arena to have a specific place to go fight and not lose all your shit. Drop a sleeping bag in a room to spawn in and NO LOOTING! Then we had people armed to teeth in towers watching the fights.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here