No Right Answer: Most Insulting Movie Sequel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Most Insulting Movie Sequel

A sequel is supposed to be a continuation of the greatness that came before it, not a poop McPoopface. Chris and Kyle discuss sequels that got confused on that definition.

Watch Video

I didn't realize Sports and Racing game genres were also movies XD

Check 0:31 :P

Arg Fappy beat me to it.

Anyway most insulting movie sequel for me - Starship Troopers 2. Even in the vast sea of insulting sequels, that's the one I remember. Runner-up: Godfather III.

Fappy:
I didn't realize Sports and Racing game genres were also movies XD

Check 0:31 :P

I'll work to have that fixed in a jiffy!

Star Wars VII+ could be good, but then again, JJ Abrams is at the helm.

But for sure, the Indiana Jones sequel will just not work, and it is impossible to make them work.

Funny how Shia LaBeouf was involved in both of these notorious childhood murders.

I'm glad to see The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out top (or is it bottom?)! I mean That film had a higher expectation due to the triliogy while Transfomers doesn't (unless you had high expectations from the toys alone?). Also in my head I felt The Revenge of the Fallen was excused due to the writer strike back then or did the crystal skull was also effected by the stike too?

So the debate is basically "which movie did Shia LaBeouf screw up the most"?

I think the better debate would be "most insulting reboot". Reboots have the potential to be way more insulting than sequels because they work on the assumption that the original work wasn't good enough or needs some kind of "update".

The end credits comment should be the quote of the day. "Carrie Fisher will 'Indy 4' the sexiness out if Star Wars VII"

Here's some other terrible sequels put them in whatever order you'd like
Spiderman 3
The Exorcist 2
Jurassic Park 3
Batman and Robin
Most Disney animated sequals
men in black 2
Terminator 3
Superman 4
Hangover pt 2
Home Alone 3
Why can't we ever leave a good thing alone

"The first Transformers movie did everything you need a Transformers movie to do."

No, it did not because the Transformers took the backseat to kids wanting to bone and Michael Bay's military fetish. In their own movie.

I think most people can agree that Revenge of the Fallen on its own merit is clearly a worse film than Crystal Skull. However, the subject of this episode isn't which is the worst film. The subject is which is the worst sequel. The criteria you laid out in the beginning fits Crystal Skull perfectly. It makes the most sense that the more beloved the franchise is, the more heinous the existence of a bad sequel. The first Transformers movie doesn't have anywhere near the same beloved fanbase, people who have spent decades watching these films, studying them, analyzing them. Film students study the Indie movies, the tropes that they exhibit, the inspiration and history behind the adventure serials their film style is based off of. Transformers has always been the subject of criticism with fans from film one.

Terrible episode. You can't even stick to your own criteria. The first Transformers movie was far from undeniably great. A much better example would have been The Matrix: Reloaded

WORST SEQUEL: Blues Brothers 2000.

I win.

Except I saw that film, so I lose.

Lets end this thread now shall we?

**Drum Rooooolllll****

HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!

Indy rightfully wins since Indiana Jones 1-3 were good, and Indy 4 was garbage.

Transformers was a mediocre movie at best, followed by garbage.

Fangface74:

**Drum Rooooolllll****

HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!

And this.
Even if they did sort of redeem themselves with Highlander 3 and the awesome TV series.

So I just saw the Halloween costume for Michael Bay's new Ninja Turtle's movie:

I believe the villain is still a white military general named Colonel Schrader...

So I'd say Transformers 2 was not as insulting due to Micahel Bay's movies ALL having low standards. But we had HIGH standards for Indiana Jones and instead got nuked fridges, bad CGI, geriatric love affairs, monkey swinging, aliens, and Shia LeBouffalo. That's insulting.

Fangface74:

**Drum Rooooolllll****

HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!

Annnnnd we're done.

Gotta agree with Crystal Skull, for a single reason. Nuke Fridge.
>:(

Sorry, Kyle. But your Transformers entry doesn't count since the first one fails to meet the first rule's criteria.

Also, we seem to be drawing a pattern with movies that suck due to Shia LaDouche being in them. He's like the walking plague of the movie industry.

Episode 2 of "No Right Answer".

I'd like to submit Crow 2 for general consideration.

Also, and this is perhaps more open to debate, but the third Matrix movie really fell flat for me. The second one, too, to a lesser extent by virtue of fresh fight choreography, though I'm not sure they're really on par with Crystal Skull or Revenge of the Fallen.

Loki_The_Good:

Spiderman 3

Sheesh, yeah, no kidding. And the worst part of it was when I watched it I swear I saw a good movie struggling to be seen. It wasn't there as a final product but you could see the signposts of where it should've been.

Say what you will about Crystal Skull, but I found it better than Temple of Doom. They brought back the best woman from the previous movies and it set out to do exactly what it did: give us a white-knuckle adventure.
The Transformers movies, they could have been better with the Autobots doing more, the military doing less (dying horribly), and no Linkin Park.

And why talk about those two if the shelf in the background had Spider-Man 3, Terminator 3, and the Matrix Revolutions (or was it Reloaded)? Those were some REAL suckfests!

Aptspire:

Well, come on. As if surviving a plane crash by using a liferaft as a makeshift parachute and then skiing down a mountain with it wasn't exactly as stupid.

But then again, it's always a very poor idea to attempt a sequel at a popular older film series. Putting yourself up against the unstoppable force of nostalgia is never going to be a very comfortable position.
Now, The Crystal Skull certainly is a slightly worse film than the previous three, and lack some qualities that they have, it really was flogged harder than it ought to have been, had it been any other film. But putting it in a position where it had to be compared to the previous trilogy and about twenty years of nostalgia, it was an inevitability.

Sports and Racing games... Whoops! :P
Anyway, Bumblebee file photo made me lol. Probably the best joke I'll hear/read this week!!!
Good job, unseen hero of the debate ;)

I was certain that the Matrix sequels were going to be brought up, especially since the DVD was sitting on the shelf in the background. Those would have been a better choice over Transformers.

Muspelheim:

Aptspire:

Well, come on. As if surviving a plane crash by using a liferaft as a makeshift parachute and then skiing down a mountain with it wasn't exactly as stupid.

But then again, it's always a very poor idea to attempt a sequel at a popular older film series. Putting yourself up against the unstoppable force of nostalgia is never going to be a very comfortable position.
Now, The Crystal Skull certainly is a slightly worse film than the previous three, and lack some qualities that they have, it really was flogged harder than it ought to have been, had it been any other film. But putting it in a position where it had to be compared to the previous trilogy and about twenty years of nostalgia, it was an inevitability.

Finally someone I can agree with. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was just a mediocre movie, not the abomination people make it out to be.

Dan W:
I was certain that the Matrix sequels were going to be brought up, especially since the DVD was sitting on the shelf in the background. Those would have been a better choice over Transformers.

Second this! 1) So good you cannot ruin it, 2) it ruined it anyway, thats The Matrix sequels right now.

Scarim Coral:
I'm glad to see The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out top (or is it bottom?)! I mean That film had a higher expectation due to the triliogy while Transfomers doesn't (unless you had high expectations from the toys alone?). Also in my head I felt The Revenge of the Fallen was excused due to the writer strike back then or did the crystal skull was also effected by the stike too?

:( I really wish this dead horse would stop being beaten. I can't believe they made this video. Its the kind of negativity and dwelling that really needs to stop on web culture.

Muspelheim:

Aptspire:

The ultimate problem with nostalgia properties getting sequels 10+ years later. Its either going to be an out of the park homerun or an incredible flop. Honestly I'd say personally Indiana 4 is better than Indiana 2. We are going to be seeing this a lot more lately. Oz was a homerun. Tron was enough of a homerun that I don't see people talk bad about it. Independence Day is going to be scrutinized to death. The Star Wars prequels had no hope of clearing the Mt. Everest of fan expectations. Hell 3 if my favorite out of all 6 movies.

We need to stop going into these movies with such high expectations because more than likely it will never meet your own internal hype. Its better to go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to go in with high expectations only to come out bitter and angry they weren't met. At least in the terms of Nostalgia property movies.

Loki_The_Good:

Jurassic Park 3

The only one from your list I'd disagree with. It kind of redeemed Jurassic Park after the San Diego rampage at the end of Lost World. Is it as good as the first? Nope, but it's head and shoulders above Lost World.

As for Crystal Skull up until the finale in the city it's not terrible. It's fun, stupid drivel which is what action serials were. It's only the ending that really lets it down for me.

Fangface74:

**Drum Rooooolllll****

HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!

I'll see your Highlander II: The Quickening... and raise you Highlander: The Source.

I have to say, I disagree with that final statement about Disney and more Indiana Jones movies for several reasons.

First, say what you want about how evil Disney may be as a company and how bad some of their movies are, they know how to make their purchases work. They bought Pixar, gave it piles of money, learned what they could for their own animation studio, and now we have not only great Pixar movies, but Disney Animation Studios has been putting out some legitimately awesome movies too (Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen).

Meanwhile, Marvel's been given the funding it needs to make incredible movies of its own. I doubt Marvel would have had the requisite funds to make The Avengers as awesome as it was if not for the House of Mouse. The same goes with Thor: Darkworld and I'm willing to bet the same of Winter Soldier an Guardians of the Galaxy

If they can do the same thing with Lucas that they did with Pixar and Marvel, I have no doubt any Indiana Jones movies or Star Wars movies will be excellent

Second, Temple of Doom was terrible. I like Crystal skull FAR better than that mess of a film. That isn't to say Crystal skull is a good movie, only to bring up the Indiana Jones movie trend. You get one good movie then one bad movie. We're due a good movie.

Loki_The_Good:

Jurassic Park 3

I'm not gonna say the film wasn't kind of dumb but i'm also not gonna say I didn't enjoy it. Not to mention it was better than 2, how did the Rex kill the crew... just, did they not even think about the scene for more than a minute?

Shodan1980:

The only one from your list I'd disagree with. It kind of redeemed Jurassic Park after the San Diego rampage at the end of Lost World. Is it as good as the first? Nope, but it's head and shoulders above Lost World.

As for Crystal Skull up until the finale in the city it's not terrible. It's fun, stupid drivel which is what action serials were. It's only the ending that really lets it down for me.

I knew you'd have my back Shodan-sama /)^3^(\

Well, no matter who wins, we all lose.

RoonMian:

"The first Transformers movie did everything you need a Transformers movie to do."

No, it did not because the Transformers took the backseat to kids wanting to bone and Michael Bay's military fetish. In their own movie.

Pretty much. And the parts with Transformers weren't even very good. The designs, while fairly realistic looking, were almost unreadable visually in the action scenes, and the shitty cinematography, shaky cam, and shots of giant metal robot ass didn't help anything. The original Transformers is a bad movie on pretty much every level, even as fan service. Sure, the sequel was even worse, but to even begin to argue that it ruined something that already sucked is absurd.

PunkRex:

Loki_The_Good:

Jurassic Park 3

I'm not gonna say the film wasn't kind of dumb but i'm also not gonna say I didn't enjoy it. Not to mention it was better than 2, how did the Rex kill the crew... just, did they not even think about the scene for more than a minute?

A lot of people are confused with that scene. The truth is one person decided to check on the T rex and was promptly eaten then another guy went to check on the first guy then another guy went to check on the second guy and so on and so forth. I blame the rigidity of a military background that says to never question orders. That and the copious amount of cannibus and loony toon cartoons they were also transporting.

Then again, you're questioning that while at the same time not questioning a movie where the main character plays a fossilized Raptor Larynx to communicate with raptors. How did he know he wasn't challenging them to a fight. Why would the raptors just not eat them after anyways out of spite. Or you know animal hunger. How did the boy learn how urine can mask his scent while surviving long enough to make that discovery. You know what? I kinda don't want to know that last one. JP 2 had some flubs and I wouldn't call it a great movie but at least it pretended to be grounded in reality some of the time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here