No Right Answer: Most Insulting Movie Sequel

Pages PREV 1 2

I could say the third Matrix, but I don't think it ruined the others. I mostly came to say Kyle should be disqualified for suggesting Transformers was a perfect movie as required by the stipulations. And he gave a really poor justification for it. It doesn't do everything you need a Transformers movie to do, it does something fucking else, where it fucks up the design of the actual robots horribly, the tranformations are far too busy and most grievously, it focuses on fucking Shia the Beef and his teenage bullshit uninteresting preoccupations. With a dash of military fetishism. It's one of the worst things I've seen in my life. Even Jim Sterling was self-aware when trying to defend it.

Of the two main contenders, I'd argue that Revenge of the Fallen was a far worse movie and a far worse sequel than Crystal Skull. Crystal Skull wasn't even that bad of a film and at least offered what fans of an Indiana Jones movie wanted, (ie whip-cracking pulp action adventure). Whereas Revenge of the Fallen took what fans of the series thought they wanted (ie more robots, less humans) and cruelly twisted it against them by putting all the new Transformer-oriented focus on racist stereotypes, flat comic relief characters and over-designed monstrosities. If anything, it showed that the first film was the best (or at least the least-bad) of the three precisely because it sidelined the Transformers.

Although really, it's a moot point since Spiderman 3 blows both of them out of the water in terms of bad sequelage. Although if Star Wars Episode VII really is planning on making the stars of the original trilogy the stars of the new trilogy, complete with geriatric disinterested original actors, then it's only a matter of time.

Kyle... those problems with RotF were definitely exacerbated, but they were still there in the first movie, the first movie was still dumb and insulting, so I wouldn't say it's worth defending as something the sequel "ruined"

Hell, I can barely remember any of the first movie, but I definitely remembered the second, at least the second one was memorable in its awfulness.

So... in short, yeah RotF is objectively a worse movie, but you can't really call betrayal or anything on it.

And Chris? I'd trust Disney to make more Indy movies more than I'd trust Michael Bay to make more Transformers movies.

Loki_The_Good:

Spiderman 3

Hangover pt 2

Surely you mean spiderman 2, as that was far worse.
Also for hangover 2 to insult the first one, the first one needs to be any good

Fangface74:

HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!

But highlander 3 was so fun!

Aptspire:
Gotta agree with Crystal Skull, for a single reason. Nuke Fridge.
>:(

Funnily enough It was one of the most realistic parts of the movie. He really could have survived it AND it was a smart choice.

What I got from this: Sports Games & Racing Games are boring, unneccesary and insulting. I agree :D

It's been quite a while since I've seen either of those movies. I can't remember a whole lot about them. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that although I have now seen all 4 Jones movies... Crystal Skull was the first one I saw :S For that reason I was entertained, but mostly cause I didn't know any better. The other 3 are better in every way possible.

You guys needed to dig deeper on this - there's a lot of good suggestions here - or how about Wizard of Oz vs. Return to Oz? Did you SEE how creepy and wrong that second movie was?!

Mr. Q:
Sorry, Kyle. But your Transformers entry doesn't count since the first one fails to meet the first rule's criteria.

True that. When he referred to the first Transformers movie I thought he meant, you know, THE first Transformers movie. As in the 1986 one that actually would have passed the first rule. Instead it was RoTF which was a crappy sequel of a crappy remake.

I'm all for giving Revenge of the Fallen almost any "Worst" prize. It's one of those movies so bad that Bay should be brought up on charges of crimes against humanity for unleashing such a rancid film. A film so bad it make you almost want Hollywood to go belly up just so they could not release more movies that bad.

But for this contest I agree it's not about how low did you sink but just how far did you fall. Indie just had a far greater drop. It goes cool and unexplained of the artifacts are something beyond scientific explanation to super lazy oh it's aliens. Also kind of taps that racism of it's something in Western culture like the Holy Grail it must be mystical but if it's not from Western culture then it must be aliens because no Western religions can't be valid. First Indian Jones a film so great it launches a new sort of Hollywood film, Transformers is just a poster child for what's gone wrong with Hollywood summer action films. One franchise fell from grace while the other just sunk even deeper in the mud.

"..I'd like them to include Star Wars in that..."

However, I know, you know, they know, Disney knows, the world knows, we ALL know, that we'll be in that cinema the day Star Wars VII opens. and VIII. and IX. And that's why they're making more Star Wars. Because as much as you might say you don't want it, as much as you might truly and honestly believe that Star Wars doesn't need a Sequel trilogy, you know that you HAVE to see it. because it might be good.

This may be a long shot but who here has seen Class of 1984? An even longer shot Class of 1999?

The first was teen crime exploitation at it's best with just the right amount of 80's flair. Class of 1999 however lacked everything that made the original charming.

Kyle could have had it, but you picked the wrong Transformers sequel.

Michael Bay's first Transformers is the worst sequel ever, because it's following THIS :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers:_The_Movie

Mylinkay Asdara:
You guys needed to dig deeper on this - there's a lot of good suggestions here - or how about Wizard of Oz vs. Return to Oz? Did you SEE how creepy and wrong that second movie was?!

I mostly remember a hall of disembodied heads and a flying bed with a talking moose's head. A lot of severed heads for a kids movie. I remember Neverending Story 2 being in that same vein of creepy WTFness.

But yes, there's a whole world of more insulting sequels; the first ones that popped into my head were The Odd Couple 2, American Psycho 2(not completely unentertaining in its way but there was no reason for it to be American Psycho), and as others pointed out, Highlander 2. Compared to those, Indy 4 & Transformers 2 weren't bad at all. I actually liked Transformers 2 more than 1; it was basically the same thing except you could see what the hell was going on when the robots were fighting. I know Transformers 2 started slow but 1 didn't exactly start like Saving Private Bumblebee or anything. Even Indy 4 wasn't far off from what I expected.

I would have picked the other franchise that has a 4th film in a trilogy. Pirates of the Caribbean. The forth movie ruined the franchise.

For me the worst was Boondock saints 2. Tried so desperately to be its predecessor but fell short in so many ways. The jokes seemed stale, the characters no longer loveable. I will pretend it doesn't exist because, in my opinion, it is so bad it even ruined the first one for me.

GonzoGamer:

Mylinkay Asdara:

I mostly remember a hall of disembodied heads and a flying bed with a talking moose's head. A lot of severed heads for a kids movie. I remember Neverending Story 2 being in that same vein of creepy WTFness.

But yes, there's a whole world of more insulting sequels; the first ones that popped into my head were The Odd Couple 2, American Psycho 2(not completely unentertaining in its way but there was no reason for it to be American Psycho), and as others pointed out, Highlander 2. Compared to those, Indy 4 & Transformers 2 weren't bad at all. I actually liked Transformers 2 more than 1; it was basically the same thing except you could see what the hell was going on when the robots were fighting. I know Transformers 2 started slow but 1 didn't exactly start like Saving Private Bumblebee or anything. Even Indy 4 wasn't far off from what I expected.

Way high severed head ratio for a child's movie - the hallways of screaming heads scene is positively haunting. The Wheelers?! On my honor those things creeped me off of ever roller skating or roller blading I think, subconsciously I just couldn't ever see those skates without seeing those guys - and the whipping them pulling the witches sleigh thing? Ugh. The whole movie is one giant creep fest.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here